Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,465 members, 7,836,842 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? (39520 Views)

Why Many Pastors Will Go To Hell – Pastor Chris Oyakhilome / Lady Without Both Hands And Legs Leading Worship In Church / RCCG Pastors Have Started Implementing The Dress Code? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by fuzek: 1:43pm On Aug 29, 2007
pilgrim.1:

Yes, I have understood! Lesson over! grin

However, we are not asked to know them by their rings. Abi I wrong? grin

Yes we're not to know them by their rings but who are u telling that too U should tell it to d person who started the thread and those that have been busy looking at rings instead of looking at their fruits, most esp looking unto Jesus. . . u see how people get carried away tongue they fix their gaze on something that won't benefit them.

As long as u don't worship these things jewelries etc, u're fine with God o my broda.I hope u know dat the streets of Heaven is coated with gold tongue wink no be me talk am.
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by fuzek: 1:45pm On Aug 29, 2007
tost:

The psalmist said 'Lord i have not meddled with things too mysterious for me, ' whether they put on four rings or five rings is there any place in the Bible that says it is a sin to put on ring or that limits the number of rings a person should put on. The prodigal son was given a ring when he came back home - was he married? Please learn to mind your own business. Thank God man is not God ,else everyone will be in hell.

My brother/sister, thank u very much. It's plain ignorance wink grin U don talk am finish grin
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by fesse(f): 2:03pm On Aug 29, 2007
@fuzek,
are you a born again christain or the other way? grin grin

hope the way you are sounding here is applicable to your physical being.
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by fuzek: 2:15pm On Aug 29, 2007
fesse:

@fuzek,
are you a born again christain or the other way? grin grin

hope the way you are sounding here is applicable to your physical being.

First, i'm born again, spirit-filled, tongue talking and all, uget wink

Next, out of the abundance of the heart; the mouth kinni speaks

dat answers it all innit wink grin
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by Keziah(f): 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2007
The other ring shows that the wife they have with them presently is not their God ordained wife but they are still looking up to God and searching for their God ordained Wifey undecided. Gbam! grin
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by fesse(f): 2:28pm On Aug 29, 2007
ok oooooooooooooooooooo grin grin grin

Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by honeric01(m): 2:59pm On Aug 29, 2007
see thread, discussing about men of GOD and their rings, Make una go ask Pop or maybe ask God if na sin to wear ring when you are not worshiping it
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by trendy(f): 4:03pm On Aug 29, 2007
@ poster, so na pastors hand you dey look shocked
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by Oby1(f): 4:13pm On Aug 29, 2007
The Bishops who puts on ring will explain better, i think one of them should be introduced to this forum to clarify this issue.
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by Oby1(f): 4:20pm On Aug 29, 2007
i think a Bishop should be contacted on this issue to give clarification.
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by bimbliss(f): 4:43pm On Aug 29, 2007
i dont think u should be intrested on why they have many rings on thier fingers but be concerned about the no of people that get saved thru them.
i think thats more important
issues concerning MOG should be left untouched cos it might be like playing with fire and it can burn u

nice observation all the same but put ur mind off it
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 4:56pm On Aug 29, 2007
tost:

The prodigal son was given a ring when he came back home - was he married? Please learn to mind your own business. Thank God man is not God ,else everyone will be in hell.

Na our own bizness we dey mind jeje. But one small kweshun: Did the prodigal son become a bishop after he wore the ring? grin

I still dey look for that verse we say by them ring we go sabi them! cool
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by webbaba: 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2007
This case of "do as I say and not as I do" thing na wa o undecided

If these so called pastors don't go extra mile how would they become your pastors? Their lifestyle is really a testimony shocked

Only Baba God knows the "sacred" ones
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by fuzek: 5:56pm On Aug 29, 2007
Pilgrim, did u eva ask urself if wearing a ring means anything? D 1st person to start this ring thing was Abraham when he gave it to Eleazer, to give t to the wife he finds for his son(Isaac), and dat was it, then some in d bible used it as sign of authority eg the king and all. Ring is a mere jewelry to symbolize wateva u want it to symbolize, as long as u don't worship it dat's all.

All of u dat have spoken against it, haven't provided any reason as not to wear it undecided

Oby1:

i think a Bishop should be contacted on this issue to give clarification.

U'l wait until Jesus comes my dear." It's the glory of God to conceal a matter; it's the honour of kings to search out a matter".If it's really doing it u, u'l take ur time and search it out to c wats wrong or right with. Like u're not entitled to opinion even if the Bishop tells u otherwise undecided tongue
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by oyie(f): 6:01pm On Aug 29, 2007
hmm,i de see d rings o-i tire!
sad
but na them know.

just prayer to God u r attending a really bible believing church tongue
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 6:17pm On Aug 29, 2007
fuzek:

Pilgrim, did u eva ask yourself if wearing a ring means anything? D 1st person to start this ring thing was Abraham when he gave it to Eleazer, to give t to the wife he finds for his son(Isaac), and that was it, then some in d bible used it as sign of authority eg the king and all. Ring is a mere jewelry to symbolize whatever u want it to symbolize, as long as u don't worship it that's all.

No wahala, fuzek. If you want me to give your a thesis on the use of rings in the Bible, ask - and your humble student will impress you! grin

However, anoda small kweshun: did Rebekah become a bishop after Eleazar gave her the ring? undecided

You see, I don't understand why the MOGs will not simply do their work as called of God. Trying to prove their positions by wearing two or twenty rings is a religiosity that should concern the Body of Christ! It is no wonder that we now find our "overseas" ministers advertizing rings now for a small 'non-taxable donation'. Where did that come from?

fuzek:

All of u that have spoken against it, haven't provided any reason as not to wear it undecided

Neither have you guys provided us cogent reasons from the WORD to wear it!

I'm not against jewelry. But if anyone wants to wayo us about the ring signifying his spirituality, I ask simply that they walk us throw the WORD and show us that it is so indeed. All other arguments throw out!

fuzek:

You'l wait until Jesus comes my dear." It's the glory of God to conceal a matter; it's the honour of kings to search out a matter".

Oh yes ke! The Bible says that He has made US priests and KINGS (Rev. 1:6) - and that is why it is our honour to search. . I mean, seriously SEARCH this matter! grin

fuzek:

If it's really doing it u, u'l take your time and search it out to c wats wrong or right with. Like u're not entitled to opinion even if the Bishop tells u otherwise undecided tongue

Lai-lai! I'm entitled to opinion - infact sef, "informed opinion" - if any bishop wan play mago-mago on this matter! grin
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by ameto: 6:52pm On Aug 29, 2007
because they want to do it.
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by Backslider(m): 7:38pm On Aug 29, 2007
I am against. Did God make our bodies for IRON?
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by fuzek: 7:44pm On Aug 29, 2007
If u read my earlier post well, I said Ring is a mere jewelry dat symbolizes wateva u want it to symbolize and i take my stand on dat still tongue
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by SecondNjoy(f): 7:46pm On Aug 29, 2007
whats wrong if they do? others go to church or listen to the pastors and their life get better - meanwhile u dey there they complain how d man dresses, what ring the man wears etc. who made u God? How many rings/ornaments did David/Solomon wore on their body?
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by fuzek: 7:51pm On Aug 29, 2007
Second.N_joy:

whats wrong if they do?

My sister are u minding this people? its d unnecessary things they pick on, neva will they come and say see how many people are getting saved by d day.

If u wear the'l say' if u don't they'l still say. Abeg, just 4get them undecided
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by nike4luv(f): 10:53pm On Aug 29, 2007
Bishops ring, means that he is married to the church and the work of God, a sign of commitment.
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 30, 2007
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by Nobody: 10:58am On Aug 30, 2007
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 11:04am On Aug 30, 2007
Please let's stop patronizing all these silliness of gentlemen in high places who have introduced matters that are not in keeping with their divine calling. Nevermind that I was being facetious in my previous enteries; but the defences offered for these sanctimonious jewelries are simply begging the question.

A man's spirituality is of the heart - that's what Scripture presents as the ornament of great price before God:

1 Pet. 3:4
'But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible,
even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God
of great price.'

Has anyone visited the jewelry stores for these 'bishop rings' and other sanctimonious accessories to check out the price tags on them? Oh yes, they are indeed "of great price", and you would have to do some mental calculations to understand what's at stake here. Some advertized jewels cost a "modest" $4,900! A quick maths converts that to over [b]N[/b]600,000. If there are "rings" (plural), simply multiply the number by the 'modest price' - which any informed enquirer observes would be indeed "of great price".

For a congregation that can't raise half a million naira in a short time, is there any wonder that most people are concerned about money-messages today coming from most of our pulpits than a soul-searching ministry that points people to the Cross for true righteousness? Don't forget, it is indeed a matter "of great price".
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 11:05am On Aug 30, 2007
The Lord Jesus did not indicate He admired the outward sanctimonious jewelries of the Jewish religious "bishops" of His day. Hear Him:

Matt. 23:5
'But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries,
and enlarge the borders of their garments'

In verse 3 He warned His disciples that they take care not to do after the works of those folks - and in the verse above, He listed one of the elements of their outward works: 'broad phylacteries'. This is simply the religiousity that ties jewelry to spirituality - as if wearing any such phylacteries, ornaments, or rings were a sign of a healthy condition of men's hearts! I've not yet come to those who "enlarge the borders of their garments" - we'll deal with that when we get there!

Now, when we think about how our spirituality is supposed to be affecting our communities and positively impacting people's lives, one has to wonder about that recurring phenomenon: why are there so many churches in Nigeria and so little positive impact? The answer, IMHO, is revealed in what we try to defend and applaud - and not so much in the misplaced priorities of men with 'bishop rings'. Since we ourselves are giving a welcome smile to that silliness, not only would there be more people clamouring for sanctimonious jewels, but more merchandizing will be brought in to pepper the distractions that so many are begging for. Who are we then coming back to blame for the sorry state of affairs when we ourselves are the ones defending the fatuity of men who introduced this merchandizing amazement in the first place?
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 11:05am On Aug 30, 2007
Now, come to think of the "reason(s)" why anyone would be applauding this unhealthy situation. Doesn't the Bible tell us that those who are called to be bishops in God's Church should endeavour to be "examples" to others? Let's remind ourselves:

1 Pet. 5:3
'Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.'

I wonder how many such bishops today are giving us an example so that we can go wear "parishioners rings" just so that we do the same thing as they are trying to demonstrate - that is, demonstrate our "spirituality". No, we don't have to go for rings that cost the modest price of $4,900 . . but perhaps we also could shop around for rings that are "of great price".

There's no justification for all these distractions that have crept into the Church. Sadder yet is the fact that some Christians are ready to defend and promote such, without a calm reflection as to what that is doing to our Christian testimony in the larger scheme of things. There's simply no justification for the assumption that such jewelries are indicators of our spirituality with God; and at best, they only express a spirituality which the Lord points out is merely "to be seen of men" (Matt. 23:5).
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by londoner: 11:46am On Aug 30, 2007
I dont see anywhere in the bible where it says that wearing a ring or absence of one is a sign of dedication of faith.

The bible says to know them by their fruits and to test every spirit. To be honest, many preachers of today dont need witchcraft to decieve people, many Christians in Nigeria would never think of challenging a preachers behaviour, even when they know they are doing wrong.
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 11:54am On Aug 30, 2007
Now, what about the idea that the rings indicate that the bishops are "married to the church and the work of God, a sign of commitment"? Hmmm. . why we dey let these men deceive us with fine sounding apologies? That may well be suited to tradition (as is the case with those wearing them in the Catholic Church), but it is simply antithetical to what God has called them to do - and that is what the Lord warned against in Matthew 23:5! If there's any group of men who need to heed that warning, it is the bishops in the Catholic Church. Before you get mad at me, read that text and let the Holy Spirit speak to you!

We should understand that Catholic bishops have other reasons for wearing their rings. The 15 new cardinals who were given gold rings/bands by Pope Benedict XVI was symbolize their bond with the PAPACY. Also ask our Catholic friends why they kissed the bishop's rings in earlier times in connection with "indulgences". I'll pause there for now.

However, that is not the focus - for even pastors and bishops in Protestant churches have their own wahala with this insignia as well. They may claim that the practice was copied from the Catholic Church, rather than having anything to do with God's WORD instructing them to do so. However, in Protestant churches, bishops who were those rings do so for the public display of their self-importance than for anything else. Let's not continue this joke of trying to defend what cannot be defended from God's WORD. If a man wants to wear a ring or ten, it's all up to him. But let that bishop not pretend it has any value to his calling.
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 11:55am On Aug 30, 2007
So, should people be concerned at all that anyone wears 'bishop rings' or anything else? Certainly we don't go to church to be distracted by what is on a man's fingers or how he dresses. But as called of God to be an example unto others (1 Pet. 5:3), he is responsible for the image he presents to his audience.

People have as many good reasons to ask questions in this matter as they do to query other distractions sweeping their way into the Church today. Again, in Matthew 23:5 the Lord Jesus was concerned about the way people in religious high places "enlarge the borders of their garments". If He was concerned, so should we - because such things were written for our instruction! The excuses that we should only open our ears and close our eyes only leads to the conclusion that it is better to have good ears and yet remain blind! Why does anyone then bother to raise questions about the deportment of women in Church - how they dress skimpily, or wear trousers that are too revealing, or body-hugs that are too suggestive, etc.? If it is okay to close our eyes to this distraction of bishop rings and all the limp excuses to applaud them, why bother opening the eyes to see what women wear to the house of God?

I don't have a problem with people dressing well and wearing rings, whether it is one ring or several rings on fingers and toes! But no one should come here and shakara this issue on excuses that it is okay for bishops to wear "bishops rings" because it indicates some sanctimonious privilege that we can't find in the Bible. What spiritual loss will they suffer if they didn't wear such rings?

Jeremiah 5:31
'The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means;
and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?'

Be careful what you applaud under any excuse. If we fix our eyes on the Lord Jesus, we will also be able to hear with our ears the things He has warned against. Playing courtyard apologists for these distractions will continue to feed the merchandizing amazement that men in high places have substituted for true spirituality. We are not asked to "know them by their rings"; but true servanthood and spirituality are found in the ornament of a good heart - which indeed if "of great price" before God.
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by pilgrim1(f): 11:59am On Aug 30, 2007
londoner:

many Christians in Nigeria would never think of challenging a preachers behaviour, even when they know they are doing wrong.

That's true. We have grown into the mould of keeping quiet because the first thing that is being used to clobber any query is "touch not mine anointed".

We should support those who are leaders in our Churches to do the right thing, rather than continue to encourage them to feed the questionable things some of them do.
Re: Why Do Many Pastors Have Rings On Both Hands? by labiyemmy(m): 11:59am On Aug 30, 2007
@Pilgrim

u havent made a single point worthwhile. I wish you as a christian will wear the same clothing style as people in the biblical days does - i wish u dont drive but ride camel, i wish u dont wear shoes but slippers, I wish u wrap your body to work just like it was done then, that will than prove u as a christian.

Do u drive a cr? then u r not a christian, do u listen to the radio or watch TV, then u have flouted God's laws, and in fact, your coming on Nairaland is nothing but a proof that u r an hypocrite - u should have nothing to do with technology and in fact science if we want to go by your thinking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

All Facts About Linda Testimonies Of Hell / Catholic Priests That Changed The World / Daddy Freeze Slams Bishop Oyedepo Over His Worth $150 Million Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.