Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,036 members, 7,814,536 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! (22690 Views)

I'm Scared Of Marrying Her / Man Wants Divorce After Getting Married "Blind" But Now Sees. / How Lady Was Killed By Poison After Getting Married Against Family Wish. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by HitRun(m): 9:30pm On Jan 23, 2023
Unfortunately, you are in Nigeria. If you were in the western world, this wouldn't have been a problem at all. Being a single woman is normal in societal expectations. For example, in workplaces in Nigeria, single people, both men and women, wouldn't be allowed to hold certain positions just because they are single. Sometimes it may be subtle, other times, blatant. Not in the west. In the US, there are even clearly worded laws that prevents this discrimination in addition to all other forms of discrimination.

In my opinion, I think that this is because our culture encourages women to stay in their father's house as adults until marriage; whereas in the west, the norm is for adult children, both male and female, to leave their parents' house and live independently whether they all live in the same town or not.

I think you should tell them you are not ready to marry yet. If they want to pester you and not respect your decision, respectfully leave for another church and have your peace.

3 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by Emmy000seun(m): 9:30pm On Jan 23, 2023
My dear sister, you are joking with your life, when you will realize it, I know it will be too late..those that sacrifice for their marriage or home do you think they are fool.. Remember,...'No matter how early you regret it will always be too late...take a drastic step towards getting a family,..it's only those that don't want continuity in their life and after that sound the way you talk..
EriMma1:
This may sound weird but it's my situation now.

I have been a single and independent lady for a very long time. Though I really looked forward to settling down in my 20s and thirties but because I was the over careful type, I couldn't as I kept being picky due to men's character and behavior.

Fast-forward to my lat 30s, I began to lose interest and started getting more comfortable as a single. The upheavals in today's marriage also got to me. As in the way marriages are packing up, the cheating aspect, abuse and domestic violence in marriages all further affected me and changed my whole perception of the union called marriage. So I unconsciously resolved to remain single as long as I'm happy, comfortable and financially independent.

Some of the reasons I also made up my mind are.
As a single, Im very much at peace, with no one dictating what and when I should do things or get out of bed. I love my bed.
No one is body shaming me when I add on some pounds due to excessive eating and no one is questioning my eating habits as its sometimes the case with some married women. Also running errands when you don't feel up to it just because hubby wants you to do it. Some men can send their wife on errand like crazy and me I hate running errands. angry

No one is disturbing me when I need time alone which could last for hours. I love my space and privacy. So the thought of having to give up all that scares the hell out of me.

Now, back to the matter.

Recently, some close spiritual leaders in my denomination have been trying to match make me with a single pastor and that one too is shining teeth that he has seen a jimjim sister. When they now openly mentioned it yesterday with the said man around and he too was nodding and agreeing to the proposal, it dawned on me that these people are not joking. When I got home, i sank into my comfy space and began to fret. I mean... The thought of giving up all that freedom is just so scary. I suddenly discovered that marriage no longer excites me and my inner self was fighting it.
Also, the thought of carrying pregnancy for nine months with all the stress of looking after babies, tending toddlers ( poo poo) and that motherhood life made me sick instantly. The thought of joggling my job with family life gave me the chills. I see how my married mates struggle with this. Huh. Men...

I don't know. I don't feel cool about this cos it makes me feel like I'm about to be put in a cage and everything about me is going to change.

Now, before you talk about me not loving the man, I think I fancy him and can love him cos he looks so much like my ex of years ago. So that is out of the question. He is a happening lovable man but....... I no longer feel excited about marriage. at least, from what played out yesterday.

Do I need any form of therapy cos my family won't hear of it but this is my situation now ooo... Hmmm

2 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by correctguy101(m): 9:30pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Will it change anything? Ive grown so thick in this mindset. Marriage Is now like intrusion or even insurrection in my life or maybe how I now see it.
An enlightened soul

2 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by saintruky(m): 9:30pm On Jan 23, 2023
You ate loving him because he looks like you ex?

No be small thing ex dey cause o.... Shuooo

EriMma1:

I have been a single and independent lady for a very long time. Though I really looked forward to settling down in my 20s and thirties but because I was the over careful type, I couldn't as I kept being picky due to men's character and behavior.

Fast-forward to my lat 30s, I began to lose interest and started getting more comfortable as a single. The upheavals in today's marriage also got to me. As in the way marriages are packing up, the cheating aspect, abuse and domestic violence in marriages all further affected me and changed my whole perception of the union called marriage. So I unconsciously resolved to remain single as long as I'm happy, comfortable and financially independent.

As a single, Im very much at peace, with no one dictating what and when I should do things or get out of bed. I love my bed.
No one is body shaming me when I add on some pounds due to excessive eating and no one is questioning my eating habits as its sometimes the case with some married women. Also running errands when you don't feel up to it just because hubby wants you to do it. Some men can send their wife on errand like crazy and me I hate running errands. angry

No one is disturbing me when I need time alone which could last for hours. I love my space and privacy. So the thought of having to give up all that scares the hell out of me.

Now, back to the matter.

Recently, some close spiritual leaders in my denomination have been trying to match make me with a single pastor and that one too is shining teeth that he has seen a jimjim sister. When they now openly mentioned it yesterday with the said man around and he too was nodding and agreeing to the proposal, it dawned on me that these people are not joking. When I got home, i sank into my comfy space and began to fret. I mean... The thought of giving up all that freedom is just so scary. I suddenly discovered that marriage no longer excites me and my inner self was fighting it.
Also, the thought of carrying pregnancy for nine months with all the stress of looking after babies, tending toddlers ( poo poo) and that motherhood life made me sick instantly. The thought of joggling my job with family life gave me the chills. I see how my married mates struggle with this. Huh. Men...

I don't know. I don't feel cool about this cos it makes me feel like I'm about to be put in a cage and everything about me is going to change.

Now, before you talk about me not loving the man, I think I fancy him and can love him cos he looks so much like my ex of years ago. So that is out of the question. He is a happening lovable man but....... I no longer feel excited about marriage. at least, from what played out yesterday.

Do I need any form of therapy cos my family won't hear of it but this is my situation now ooo... Hmmm
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by ednut1(m): 9:31pm On Jan 23, 2023
Just find pikin born
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by mario2k(m): 9:31pm On Jan 23, 2023

Now, back to the matter.

ALL I COULD PICK FROM THIS WRITE UP IS SELF AND THIS IS TOO DANGEROUS. IT DOESN'T END WELL IN THE END.
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by Cowbell521: 9:33pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

If you believe aged people are being taken care of by their children then you're in for a big surprise as they will so abandon you and face their lives and businesses. If God is not with you, you'll be the most miserable and lonely soul in your old age . So erase that mentality.

So many aged people you see walking around hopelessly, is it because they don't have children or they were not once married?

What about those in care homes? Don't they have families? They do. so why are they put in care home and not their childrens homes? Abeg drop this mentality.

If you want to have a fulfilled retirement life, put God first and have a good retirement plan so you won't have to depend on any one. Whether you have children or not.

Marriage is not a guarantee to a fulfilled retirement life.
Who is asking this evening news paper to get married sef? Don't get married biko. It will be a minus one problem in the life of the man that is gullibly trying to settle with you. As you're not taking care of your parents. Doesn't mean all of us are like that. See this useless parasite doing shakara

9 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by greggng: 9:35pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Now, back to the matter.

I.perfectly understand everything you said and u can relate to all that . As a man I feel same way ...we have something in common . However you will be under many pressure by family and friends ..This led me to having a baby mama ...Although she remarried and died in the cause of giving birth for her new husband ...I still find it difficult to consider getting another woman . However I will encourage you to work on it for the seek of having kids that will be there in your old age ..That is the only reason I am prepared to have a second thought about marriage otherwise you are a female version of me

1 Like

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by Cowbell521: 9:35pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Will it change anything? Ive grown so thick in this mindset. Marriage Is now like intrusion or even insurrection in my life or maybe how I now see it.
Abeg stop disturbing us with your marriage or no marriage. Don't marry you hie. It's better like that abeg. Nobody cares

6 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by Roycemadeit(m): 9:35pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1

I do understand your fear of being married, or imprisoned because that's what it is if one is been realistic. Yet, when it is done without any compulsions, one could say they exercised their freedom to be in it.

Just as ritmek said, "Do what makes you happy."

My take is you have to live as you desire and within your set principles too but as you do also realize that you are not those things and you can affect changes wherever necessary.

But, you should tell yourself the truth. Don't look at the man to make permutations on what the future holds but yourself. You have to ask the hard questions and see if you can, of your own volition, fulfill your role as society requires. Now, if you see those things required of you as a wife as sacrifices then you have robbed yourself of happiness.
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by abimic(m): 9:35pm On Jan 23, 2023
Dey play o...no marry o..Na old age you go know.

1 Like

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by merits(m): 9:37pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Now, back to the matter.

Enjoy your single life but remember you will get old and wrinkles one day, meanwhile it's not my own children that will look after you.miss masturbator.

3 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by MorningStar233: 9:38pm On Jan 23, 2023
Your life your choice, but remember how lonely your old age will be without a child of your own, you can decide to adopt but do you know what runs in the bloodline you are adopting?? I wish you well..
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 23, 2023
Marry, and You Will Regret It.
Do not Marry, and You Will Also Regret it.

Either You Marry or Don't Marry, You Will Regret Both.

- Soren Kierkegard
Danish Philosopher

3 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by XTHRONE(m): 9:39pm On Jan 23, 2023
Life is one big party when you are still young, but whoa gonna have your back when it's all down

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by tabaralph: 9:40pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Now, back to the matter.

Your life , your story, your problem, am sure you are in your 40s, menopause is fast approaching , hope it won’t be too late before you make up your mind.

4 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by AllDModsAreMaad: 9:40pm On Jan 23, 2023
I just wasted my data by opening this thread.

Hiss!

Walk outta thread!!

1 Like

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by echodrum(m): 9:41pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Now, back to the matter.

Marriage is not for everyone. It is a very though journey. However, there are benefits that comes with marriage that you may like to consider. When you get old, who is going to be there for you? Or are you planning to have kids with no father figure in their life? Have you considered the downside to that? Those are few I can say now.
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by EriMma1: 9:41pm On Jan 23, 2023
DoingBetter:
@eriMma1,
Your feelings are valid. It's ok to have these unsettling feelings. Marriage is a life-altering step and your concerns show that you understand the gravity of a weighty step like this. But I'll tell you what my favorite pastor usually says that gives me courage, "What you're afraid of will not happen. " Now it's you turn to say amen πŸ™β˜ΊοΈ
Acknowledge your fears, build a friendship with the young man, and communicate honestly with him. You would like not to be saddled with all the physical and emotional work in your marriage, you'd like a partner that shares the burden and not one that shirks it. The women who have husbands that help out with chores, and babysit while their wives are busy, they're so blessed, especially in this part of the world. That you want a supportive husband and not a domineering husband is a good choice. Rather than dwell in fear, communicate and you might be pleasantly surprised as you come to know each other more. Don't forget prayers 🀲 too. You don't want to get it wrong πŸ˜‘.

If you're willing to try, be vulnerable and communicate honestly, you will get a lot of things right. If it doesn't work out, at least you tried. If he's right for you, it'd be a shame to miss out because of fear built in the constant loop of negative stories in the media.

Oh.. I appreciate this. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by drlateef: 9:45pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Now, back to the matter.

You have only been thinking in one direction. Have you thought of your future? Have you thought of retirement and the loneliness that will invade you without a family around you? Have you thought of a confidant like your children who could help you in times of need? Have you thought of possibility of sickness and who will be with you by then? Have you thought about sex or are you getting it by one-night-stand methods? Have you thought of losing your job and becoming helpless? If you think of these other possibilities in life, you will know you have been mistaken in your decision and thought process.

2 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by FuckTheMod: 9:45pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Now, back to the matter.

You've been single for soooooooo long, BUT YOUR BODYCOUNT SAYS OTHERWISE grin grin grin

Keep FOOLING YOURSELF grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by Viktoro1: 9:45pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Now, back to the matter.

Please don't get married because someone you respect was behind the match making. Don't marry someone because he goes to church, I'm saying this as a Jimjim brother.

Let marriage be solely your decision and not that a person pushed you into it.

Please make sure whoever you are marrying has the fear of God, no be because say him wear tie and carry bible.
For the abuse and infidelity you talked about, a man with the fear of God and who's willing to make his marriage work has sorted this part of your fears.
Pray seriously about it, don't be sensual here, allow the holy spirit to guide you.

And for the responsible you're trying to run away from, nne you CANT't. You can only minimize the stress by having lot's money to get you a house help.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by Positiveme2020: 9:46pm On Jan 23, 2023
RESHARPENED:
Don't get married.

Especially not to a pastor. Most especially not to THAT pastor. He's a weak and manipulative man that could not approach you himself.

Plus, you can forget everything about independence if you get married to a pastor. Religion demands a slavish devotion of wife to husband even when it's undeserved.

Then, there's pregnancy.

Did you know that some pregnancies can lead to broken ribs?

If you're happy with your single life, LIVE it. Don't let anyone shame or pressure you into marriage.

Few people enjoy their marriages yet they keep inviting people into it.
Why?
'Cause misery loves company.

Don't give in.

By the way, it's easier to get out of the arrangement if you just tell the guy and his goons this:

"I have prayed about it and the Holy Spirit revealed to me that Pastor A. is not the will of God for me."

Don't give in.

I like this, straight to the point.
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by ThatCEO: 9:47pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

I from what played out yesterday.

Anybody who marries u will be miserable.

It is why they recommend women shd marry early.

I really don't care if u don't have a husband but one thing u will regret is not having a child. Unfortunately u will only realise this after passing child bearing age. Heard this from multiple psychologists Cos this is often the number one regrets of women in their 40s. Do Ur research.

Try to carry d baby for 9 months while Ur body still can.

If this is what female empowerment looks like, enjoy. Gigolo must sha chop

4 Likes

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by toprealman: 9:47pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Now, back to the matter.

If you discover a gold mine, I am sure you will keep it to yourself. Many good tips here but you brushed all off
Hanty, enjoy your single life in peace. Stop shouting.

1 Like

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by EriMma1: 9:52pm On Jan 23, 2023
Ayo13945:
Marry, and You Will Regret It.
Do not Marry, and You Will Also Regret it.

Either You Marry or Don't Marry, You Will Regret Both.

- Soren Kierkegard
Danish Philosopher

You'll regret any choice you make in life.
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by Innobee99(m): 9:52pm On Jan 23, 2023
The earlier u know that ur village people have succeeded the betterπŸ™„πŸ™„
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 23, 2023
This is a strong one! Find peace within yourself and get married. You need to flush out so many toxins out of your memory and system first. Erinma! Must get married to a pastor this year!
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by INVINCIBLECSP1(m): 9:55pm On Jan 23, 2023
EriMma1:

Now, back to the matter.

You're chubby and many guys are not comfortable with it. Stop telling half truth. πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

1 Like

Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by EriMma1: 9:55pm On Jan 23, 2023
PraiseGodNoTime:
This is a strong one! Find peace within yourself and get married. You need to flush out so many toxins out of your memory and system first. Erinma! Must get married to a pastor this year!

Lol...
Let God's will be done.
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by Patriotsleague: 9:58pm On Jan 23, 2023
I don't understand why you are sharing it here.
Re: After Being Single For Soo Long, Im Now Scared Of Getting Married. Please Help!! by phorget(m): 9:59pm On Jan 23, 2023
When your mates start going for omugwo that is when you'll realize the harm you've done to yourself.

Just keep loving your freedom for now.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Were The Silliest Things You Believed As A Child? / 7 Tips For Overcoming Shyness On World Introvert Day / Should I Leave My Cheating Wife, Or Have An Affair Of My Own

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 237
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.