Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie (36227 Views)

Linda Ikeji With Cast Of Dark October At The Movie’s Premiere / Kunle Afolayan Partners Netflix To Launch Film Academy (Video) / Judge Orders Netflix To Remove Gay Jesus Movie “The First Temptation Of Christ.” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by iamsolasoul(f): 7:50am On Jan 26, 2023
Always cut the family in on whatever film
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Coldie(m): 7:52am On Jan 26, 2023
TOPCRUISE:
This are sad memories to the parents. The incident affects everybody who has a conscience. The parents can sue. Reminding me of the event still got me more angrier. Nothing has changed since the unfortunate incident.
That the person that set those boys up is still a fictional character and yet unaccounted for alone is saddening.
From what am seeing here the parents only want cash out. If u want them to stop the movie tell them to, which one is for them to meet the families and negotiate
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Nuzo1(m): 7:53am On Jan 26, 2023
tishbite42:
Linda Ikeji money wan go like that
But is she not intelligent enough to contact the parents of the victims before embarking on such project?!
The lady is highly overrated

Her money no go go. She will eventually release the movie.

But the families of the boys must have a significant share of the profits. Otherwise, it will now be very clear that all Linda has been doing her entire life is profiting from people’s sorrows.

3 Likes

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Coldie(m): 7:53am On Jan 26, 2023
God1000:
Good, they should not use that tragic event to make money.

None of them said anything about bringing the perpetrators to book since all these years.
Maybe because for real, the guys weren’t innocent.
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Melonsmasher: 7:54am On Jan 26, 2023
how do you intend to tell the real story without meeting with the boys families and even gathering more than enough info you need to put up a unique movie?

2 Likes

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Nobody: 7:54am On Jan 26, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

Don't be a dimwit. Wars are a political event. And even at that, if anyone wants to make a movie about an aspect of the war which is based on true events, such person has a responsibility to ensure the people involved are reached out to, and their consent and understanding gotten before going ahead.
It will be folly for anyone to make a movie about people's lives without reaching out to them first especially if they're still alive.
Not everything should be about money.

Like most of the commenters on this thread, you're still arguing wholely based on emotions and sentiments.

Oga, bark as much as you want, call me whatever names you see fit, Linda Ikeji is not obligated or bound by any law anywhere in the world to contact the families of the ALUU victims before making her movie. She did not use the exact names of the victims or their families. She recreated events of a true life story, like thousands of movies, songs and books have been done in the past.

I'm not even a fan of the lady, I don't use her blog for any reason, but the pretentious sentiments you Nigerians attach to things can sometimes be nauseating. Go ahead and sue her to court and see if she'll be indicted!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Coldie(m): 7:54am On Jan 26, 2023
yrex01:
Writting a story of an event some people trying to erase from memory without em conscience. too bad
If it was a documentary in YouTube, people won’t be saying all these things but since it’s Netflix all of a sudden all of una get sth to say
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Lukuluku69(m): 7:54am On Jan 26, 2023
tishbite42:
Linda Ikeji money wan go like that
But is she not intelligent enough to contact the parents of the victims before embarking on such project?!
The lady is highly overrated

Not intelligent at all. To them anything that will bring money is all well and good.
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by pedel: 7:55am On Jan 26, 2023
Stop attaching emotions to everything.
Do I need to seek consent of the Igbo people before making movies about Biafra war?
Stories need to be told and documented.
Alu4 is part of our national history. Maybe we can learn some lessons from it.
There should be another one about Lekki Toll gate if truly people were killed there.
I expect you to say what if was my family because that's how emotional people reason and my answer is I don't give two bollocks.

ennyj01:

You are a fool!
If same was done for your deceased parent or sibling or child, will you say the rubbish you just said above?
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Greattha: 7:57am On Jan 26, 2023
Buddha3:

Oga, every event that occurs in life must someday be told as a story, whether the parties involved like it or not.

If I reside in Finland and decide to make a movie of the ALUU incident, will these parents come there and tell me to shut it down?

You people should learn to sometimes bury rubbish sentiments and reason issues logically. What's all this noise sef? When books and movies were made about the Biafran civil war, was the entire Igbo land asked for consent as to whether they wanted their story to be told or not?

Una too dey do for this country!

You're the one being illogical and frankly hypocritical.

Put yourself in the shoes of one of those parents. It could be anyone.

How would you like the said movie to be narrated? Without your consent? There's nothing bad in just seeking consent and even compensating the families.

Nobody is saying the movie shouldn't be made....just do it the right way.

World over, those involved are consulted before true events are written or made into movies.

It's unfortunate it's Nigeria else, NETFLIX, FILMONE and Linda would pay through their noses.

I guess its becaue most of the families are perceived to be poor...You can't even try this rubbish with some families in Nigeria

There are ways to go about such arrogance and abuse trust me.

Do unto others as you want to be done to you!!!
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 26, 2023
Nuzo1:

Her money no go go. She will eventually release the movie.

But the families of the boys must have a significant share of the profits. Otherwise, it will now be very clear that all Linda has been doing her entire life is profiting from people’s sorrows.

Families of the boys will have a significant share of the profits?

LMAO!

Are you people on this forum even serious? Jesus Christ! Please under what legal framework is she supposed to share proceeds with the families? Because she retold a true life story? Did she use the actual names of the victims and their families?

I sincerely thought nairalanders were more intelligent than this. My God!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by BeanX(m): 7:58am On Jan 26, 2023
Linda no try Sha, she should have asked the parents for permission first.
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Saidfx(m): 7:58am On Jan 26, 2023
Wicked from Linda Ikeji if true. I remember watching the horrible video back then in ukraine with a local who happens to be a neighbor and a fan of Africa. He immediately asked me if it was a movie but I told him the truth and his mood changed and he kept distance from us since that day. This country is filled with the spirit of self center and selfishness. I pray to God Almighty anytime I step outside to make me meet positive energy people or company. The way we reason can easily make someone loose is sanity. May God Almighty heal the wounds of those poor traumatized parent, especially the mothers. Amin

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by VillageBus(m): 7:59am On Jan 26, 2023
obam41363:

By ur statement, u just showed how myopic and clueless you are about how the entertainment industry works globally. If Linda tried this in the United States or even less saner climes like South Africa, she would have been bombarded with plethora of law suits and injunctions.
she can't be sued since the people whom she is telling there story is dead.
anybody can make movie about anybody without permission as long as the it is a dead person.
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Agbegbaorogboye: 8:03am On Jan 26, 2023
Buddha3:

Like most of the commenters on this thread, you're still arguing wholely based on emotions and sentiments.

Oga, bark as much as you want, call me whatever names you see fit, Linda Ikeji is not obligated or bound by any law anywhere in the world to contact the families of the ALUU victims before making her movie. She did use the exact names of the victims or their families. She recreated events of a true life story, like thousands of movies, songs and books have been done in the past.

I'm not even a fan of the lady, I don't use her blog for any reason, but the pretentious sentiments you Nigerians attach to things can sometimes be nauseating. Go ahead and sue her to court and see if she'll be indicted!
You don't even know anything!!
She's playing on the boundaries of defamation if she goes ahead. Just one scene she doesn't get right will end her in a case.
I'm sure if Netflix are contacted, they'll withdraw the movie. There's a reason why disclaimers are usually put in a movie that "The characters and their depictions in this movie are fictional and any similarities between the characters and any true events are purely coincidental and not deliberate".

That's because cases of libel, slander, defamation if character can easily spring up from any scene in the movie whether intended or not.
So don't say what you don't know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:03am On Jan 26, 2023
meobizy:
Linda Ikeji is the only one apart from the parents who hasn’t moved on from this issue. I understand the parent’s viewpoint. At the same time I don’t picture the woman trying to exploit the situation for financial benefit. Both sides should meet and come to an agreement. I remember up to seven years after the ordeal when many Nigerians came to a quick conclusion and continued with their lives, Ikeji kept promoting the story, hoping to reach a satisfying conclusion for the parents. I doubt such came to fruition. Now she has chosen to aid a movie based on the story in the hope to stop a future reoccurrence.

This is a devil's advocate-angle... and I don't think it holds much water.

The fact that she kept publishing spin-offs from the event doesn't mean she had genuine personal sympathies. She's a blogger! She was making money off a trending story.

From events past, Linda has shown that she can be truly cold & insensitive to other people's feelings. She would publish any story so long as it's a story and "juicy."

These are people's lives, for crying out loud!

I have no respect for her kind of blogging!

Ruining people!

Let people tell their stories or share their secrets themselves.

The fact that people in general love to read about the stories, miseries & whatnot of other people doesn't mean it's a good thing putting people's lives out there in that manner.
This movie she went on to produce is quite unnecessary in my opinion.

ALUU-4 wasn't a hidden event.

She's not uncovering anything.

The families have reconciled the events and moved on with their lives, their grief in their bag.

Why reopen those wounds?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by ShaqFu: 8:04am On Jan 26, 2023
AtorKelly:

…say movie produced without consultation

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/01/dark-october-parents-of-slain-aluu-4-urge-linda-ikeji-netflix-to-retract-movie-suspend-premiere/
why am I not surprise. People like Linda Ikeji will grab at anything just to make money.

Some would have thought she'd know better and consult the families before even venturing to make such a movie, but nope, it's all about her and making money.

Let's wait and hear the bullshit excuse she will give for making the movie without doing what is right.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Nobody: 8:04am On Jan 26, 2023
Greattha:

You're the one being illogical and frankly hypocritical.

Put yourself in the shoes of one of those parents. It could be anyone.

How would you like the said movie to be narrated? Without your consent? There's nothing bad in just seeking consent and even compensating the families.

Nobody is saying the movie shouldn't be made....just do it the right way.

World over, those involved are consulted before true events are written or made into movies.

It's unfortunate it's Nigeria else, NETFLIX would pay through their nose.

There are ways to go about such arrogance and abuse trust me.

Do unto others as you want to be done to you!!!

The world over, those involved are only consulted if the producers want to use the exact names and details involved. That is the only legal basis for consultations and agreements.

Much as the incident was painful, it does not change the fact there's absolutely no legal framework that mandates anybody to consult the families before recreating the incident through movies, songs or books. What you Nigerians are doing right now is purely tantamount to emotional blackmail.

Do you know there are children today who do not know about the ALUU story? Do you know most Nigerians have even forgotten about it? Since you're preaching decency, can you be honest enough to tell us that you remembered the ALUU incident since it happened to this day? If this movie had not been made, would you even remember those boys? Linda Ikeji should be appreciated more than vilified. She's keeping the memories of those boys alive.

Our prayers and thoughts have always been with the affected families. But this story has to be told, like Chijioke Iloanya who lost his life in the hands of Anambra state SARS officers, like countless other stories.
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Agbegbaorogboye: 8:05am On Jan 26, 2023
VillageBus:
she can't be sued since the people whom she is telling there story is dead.
anybody can make movie about anybody without permission as long as the it is a dead person.
Really? Another ignoramus. Go and make a movie about Martin Luther King depicting him as a rapist let's see how that goes.
MLK's story is even protected by property rights for your info. You can't make a movie about him without contacting his foundation.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Maj196(m): 8:05am On Jan 26, 2023
Using someone else's agony to cash out

1 Like

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by bolabadmus38: 8:07am On Jan 26, 2023
It was a bad an horrific memory. The parents will be very sad again because it was really bad.
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by alfarouq(m): 8:07am On Jan 26, 2023
Nigerians sometimes have the tendency to put money before anything else. Making the movie won't be a problem as long as you make the parents of the victims see reason the movie should be made but when you do not even consult them, it is too inhumane.

1 Like

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:08am On Jan 26, 2023
adecz:

So, before any movie of Biafran
Civil war be made, all the families of
the killed Biafrans must first be
contacted❓

The killing of the ALUU 4 is something
that is in the public domain and it's
not a must to contact family members.

You'll need to edit this your comment, my dear.

It speaks of an absolute lack of understanding.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Agbegbaorogboye: 8:09am On Jan 26, 2023
meobizy post=120382716:
Linda Ikeji is the only one apart from the parents who hasn’t moved on from this issue
I understand the parent’s viewpoint. At the same time I don’t picture the woman trying to exploit the situation for financial benefit. Both sides should meet and come to an agreement. I remember up to seven years after the ordeal when many Nigerians came to a quick conclusion and continued with their lives, Ikeji kept promoting the story, hoping to reach a satisfying conclusion for the parents. I doubt such came to fruition. Now she has chosen to aid a movie based on the story in the hope to stop a future reoccurrence.

Really? And that gives her the right to appropriate their life and death due herself?
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Isabi4lov: 8:09am On Jan 26, 2023
Na wa o
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:10am On Jan 26, 2023
Buddha3:
To those of you yapping on bout how Ikeji was supposed to seek consent from the families of the slain ALUU victims, you're dead wrong.

Recreating stories of events past have always been a norm in all movie industries, whether those stories be tragic or otherwise, whether they be about individuals, families or societies. So long as exact names were not replicated in those storylines, then there's absolutely no basis for consultation, except the producers see fit to do so, as a professional courtesy. It holds absolutely no standing in any law the world over, and leaves no legal implications.

Those parents should rather feel honoured that someone sat down and felt the need to recreate the story of their children, to keep the memories alive. This nonsense they're going on about feels like a subtle move aimed at money making, and they're being egged on by some dunderhead organisation. If they feel so strongly that Linda Ikeji and Netflix have erred, they should take them to court. All of these displays of overflowing sentiments remains unnecessary, to say the least.

Lawd!!!

How do some of you think?

So sterile! So unfeeling! An ABSOLUTE lack of empathy and wisdom.

Keep what memories alive?

Events past can be recreated.

But are all past events of the same nature?

You guys have no understanding of contexts at all?

Good grief!

2 Likes

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by TheLawAsItIs: 8:11am On Jan 26, 2023
God1000:

None of them said anything about bringing the perpetrators to book since all these years.

The perpetrators have been brought to book.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluu_Four_lynching

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by blacksam01: 8:11am On Jan 26, 2023
God1000:

ppl are acting about ukraine...there is nothing there...
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by BlueDuck: 8:12am On Jan 26, 2023
She wants to make money off those poor boys' memory

Greedy Linda true Igbo girl...she would suck the Devil's príck if the price was high enough

3 Likes

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 26, 2023
Agbegbaorogboye:

You don't even know anything!!
She's playing on the boundaries of defamation if she goes ahead. Just one scene she doesn't get right will end her in a case.
I'm sure if Netflix are contacted, they'll withdraw the movie. There's a reason why disclaimers are usually put in a movie that "The characters and their depictions in this movie are fictional and any similarities between the characters and any true events are purely coincidental and not deliberate".

That's because cases of libel, slander, defamation if character can easily spring up from any scene in the movie whether intended or not.
So don't say what you don't know.

Now I know you're only arguing to show the crowd that you can use certain vocabularies.

What do you mean by "libel, slander, defamation"? Disclaimers like you've rightly alluded to, are put in mostly movies told from the writers' imaginations, just to ward off court cases in the events someone somwhere coincidentally relates to the contents and decides to sue. But we've all seen tons of movies made and from the very first scene, we're told they're from true life events. In the case of the latter, disclaimers are not needed. And if the actual names of the affected parties or their families and loved ones are not used, there's absolutely no legal basis for consultations and consents. I have said this countless times on this thread already.

But since you, the families and some other Nigerians feel very strongly that Linda Ikeji and Netflix have erred in the making of this movie, kindly approach the courts. And since you're not willing to learn beyond the prism of your emotional confines, abeg I don tire to dey argue with you!
Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by DonBenny77(m): 8:13am On Jan 26, 2023
Lionize:
It depends on how the narration goes in the movie. Story must be told.
You no get sense sha, and una type plenty for this country na why person like Buhari fit be president.
The population of idiots in this country is too much, my only fear for Peter Obi

1 Like

Re: Dark October: Parents Of Slain ALUU-4 Urge Linda Ikeji, Netflix To Retract Movie by praiseneo(m): 8:14am On Jan 26, 2023
francis5051:
Allow them do the movie.. is only a character your sons are not really involved
first craze person don comment today

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Khafi Preaching Against Premarital Sex In Throwback Video / Ajuri Ngelale: Lebanese Reporter In AIT? / Halyna Hutchins: See Last Photo Of The Woman That Was Shot By Alec Baldwin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.