Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,604 members, 7,823,624 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? (32923 Views)

New Naira: Confusion Deepens As CBN Deadline Ends Today / Naira Redesign: CBN Denies Plan To Print ₦‎5,000 Note / Naira Redesign: Bags Of Damaged Naira Notes Discovered (Video, Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 10, 2023
Salvador1:
you are a terrible liar.

Almost all filling stations are rejecting the old note here in Lagos.

Children of darkness and enemy of this country must be rejected.

You are on nairaland you are telling lies. For what purpose? Lagos has population of over 20 million people. In which of the markets are they rejecting the old naira notes? Which transporters are rejecting the old notes?

The money is still being spent and given out by POS. I got 5K old naira notes for 5.7K this evening. A lot of people are rushing to buy it from POS but most POS operators are out of money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by SirAfoy1(m): 8:55pm On Feb 10, 2023
Salvador1:
you are a terrible liar.

Almost all filling stations are rejecting the old note here in Lagos.

Children of darkness and enemy of this country must be rejected.
At Epe market today. I didn't see any new note from anybody. Exchanges were done with old note

1 Like

Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by baralatie(m): 8:56pm On Feb 10, 2023
angelfallz:
One of the aims of the naira redesign is to transition to a cashless economy. If the bank can't give the same value in new notes, they can transfer it to your bank account.

Wonderful
So it is longer to curb vote buying in the forth coming elections again

So now that there is network problems .
Let me use the old and reliable legal tender undecided
Since the bank does not have the new notes
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Elsueno: 8:58pm On Feb 10, 2023
I am not collecting any old note from anybody, either u transfer or u bring new notes....Ain't no taking unnecessary risk, my grandpa says Mr Buhari no dey care when he sets his mind to do something 😤
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Bahamas95(m): 8:59pm On Feb 10, 2023
IranianSea:
ShopRite rejected Old notes! Verve cards rejected by their payment machine. You can only transfer then send the receipt of your transaction to their email, then wait till they verify it, then, they will email you the confirmation receipt, then you take the receipt to the cashier, then your goods handover to you. Very long and stressed.
Oga you too like "then". Kilode? grin grin grin
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by frontwave(m): 8:59pm On Feb 10, 2023
Rumor, what the hell do you even do with your phone ? Are you not aware of supreme court ex-parte injunction on the subject matter?
satelliteDISH:
In my area here in Benin City illiterate people are still collecting it. Their is a rumour going round that they extended it to 15th.
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by baralatie(m): 9:04pm On Feb 10, 2023
IntroTech:

All these challenges you mentioned are true.

But then again, the beauty of innovation is that it takes challenges to spur innovations.

While some people are still complaining that we don't have the network backbone, infrastructure, security for seamless cashless operations, some people are already seizing this rare opportunity and they are already building the network backbones, infrastructures, security for seamless cashless operations and they are surely going to make billions and billions of dollars from doing that.

It all a matter of where you choose to focus your energy on.

A word is more than enough for the wise.
At the bolded
You would have expected the CBN,the ministry of finance,The NCC, and relevant security agencies to ensure that these inovators and inovatoions were up to par with the government vision first and running ,
Than for the CBN to blow the whistle for the switch only to run into glitches,hiccups and problems because the the expected needed infrastructure is lagging behind
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Johnstone619(m): 9:04pm On Feb 10, 2023
Here in Lokoja axis its 50-50 some are collecting while some are rejecting.
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Simplythebest: 9:05pm On Feb 10, 2023
Suffering have block ur sense of reasoning
CilicMarin:
In Lagos! Nobody is even aware there is any dateline. Both the old and new ones are being spent.

May God Punish Peter Obi, Atiku and Emefiele.
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Aurelius1(m): 9:06pm On Feb 10, 2023
Mrkumareze:
My brother, you better find how to deposit the money. Buhari does not obey any court order, its therefore possible for him not to even listen to the supreme court.

It's better to have your goods intact than to have money you can't spend
Na Obi naim cause your problem?
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by soojar(m): 9:09pm On Feb 10, 2023
Pierced:
The question is will bank accept it on Monday?

Here at mile 12 market...... people are still collecting old notes.

Although.....I am no longer it.....but my neighbours are still collecting it.

Am I the only one that read the CBN memo on the extension or what? because from the comments I'm seeing so far it's like people are not aware.

Let us leave the supreme court ruling aside, the CBN says the old note will cease to be a legal tender (you can't use it to buy goods and services again) after 10th February, BUT YOU CAN STILL DEPOSIT IT INTO YOUR ACCOUNT TILL 17TH FEBRUARY.

What this means is that even if Buhari doesn't respect the supreme court ruling you can still safely take your old naira notes to the bank for deposit only (not exchange) till 17th.

We learn everyday
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by angelfallz(m): 9:12pm On Feb 10, 2023
If you noticed I said, one of the aims...
Yes, network is a major issue that can affect transfers and POS transactions, but that should not stop the transition. Eventually, the bank networks would be robust enough to carry the load.
Mark you, POS and transfer transactions have been growing, long before this CBN naira redesign. So, a good number of Nigerians are familiar with POS and transfer.
baralatie:

Wonderful
So it is longer to curb vote buying in the forth coming elections again

So now that there is network problems .
Let me use the old and reliable legal tender undecided
Since the bank does not have the new notes
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by MrBroke(m): 9:13pm On Feb 10, 2023
satelliteDISH:
In my area here in Benin City illiterate people are still collecting it. Their is a rumour going round that they extended it to 15th.

You are clearly the illiterate here because you are too myopic to understand what can't happen
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by baralatie(m): 9:15pm On Feb 10, 2023
angelfallz:
If you noticed I said, one of the aims...
Yes, network is a major issue that can affect transfers and POS transactions, but that should not stop the transition. Eventually, the bank networks would be robust enough to carry the load.
Mark you, POS and transfer transactions have been growing, long before this CBN naira redesign. So, a good number of Nigerians are familiar with POS and transfer.
As of now there inadequacy is not in contention!
So should I now suffer until when they become adequate when the solution as of now is to use the old notes?
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Pierocash(m): 9:16pm On Feb 10, 2023
chypotenti:
my brother nor deceive yourself, FFK na FG?
What's this one saying,who is ffk?.

We are talking of statement from Malami who is the AGF confirmed by Buhari himself,you are talking of ffk
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by angelfallz(m): 9:17pm On Feb 10, 2023
It is unfortunate that such banks are having network issues, especially, as 2 of those banks are among FUGAZ. It must be because of the substantial increase in the use of transfers. I believe The banks will upgrade their networks and before February ends, things will be better. In the meantime, if you can get cash old or new get it and use it.
But don't get plenty o! to avoid stories that touch.

baralatie:

So all the zenith ,access,union and co that are having network problems.to point that some outlets are insisting on cash is what now
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by angelfallz(m): 9:20pm On Feb 10, 2023
you can use the old notes. But don't get a huge amount o! To avoid stories that touch. Just get a small amount that you can spend quickly or if tomorrow kasala burst you won't feel too bad that the old naira you have is now worthless.

baralatie:

As of now there inadequacy is not in contention!
So should I now suffer until when they become adequate when the solution as of now is to use the old notes?
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Chinonye2022(m): 9:23pm On Feb 10, 2023
Here in lusada igbesa ogun state we are trading normal with our old notes
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Chinonye2022(m): 9:24pm On Feb 10, 2023
satelliteDISH:
u are the real illiterate because u lack wizdom and information
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Henrydata(m): 9:25pm On Feb 10, 2023
soojar:

Am I the only one that read the CBN memo on the extension or what? because from the comments I'm seeing so far it's like people are not aware.

Let us leave the supreme court ruling aside, the CBN says the old note will cease to be a legal tender (you can't use it to buy goods and services again) after 10th February, BUT YOU CAN STILL DEPOSIT IT INTO YOUR ACCOUNT TILL 17TH FEBRUARY.

What this means is that even if Buhari doesn't respect the supreme court ruling you can still safely take your old naira notes to the bank for deposit only (not exchange) till 17th.

We learn everyday

Exactly, I am just wondering if I was the only one that read the memo.
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by seborrhic: 9:25pm On Feb 10, 2023
mbahdi:
In oyo here, confusion dey confuse himself.even people wey no get new note to give u change dey form say Dem no collect old note.i nvr use my hand touch d new note for over two weeks now.I no fit kill myself even d old note I no see today.all market bought from me was all paid tru transfer.hunger nearly killed me.it was around 2pm one person carry old note buy market from me.i rush grab am before I was able to eat.i dey collect old note with happiness god punish apc and all it's surporters
grin
mbahdi:
In oyo here, confusion dey confuse himself.even people wey no get new note to give u change dey form say Dem no collect old note.i nvr use my hand touch d new note for over two weeks now.I no fit kill myself even d old note I no see today.all market bought from me was all paid tru transfer.hunger nearly killed me.it was around 2pm one person carry old note buy market from me.i rush grab am before I was able to eat.i dey collect old note with happiness god punish apc and all it's surporters
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by TheNiceGuy(m): 9:29pm On Feb 10, 2023
Old not is still legal tender

1 Like

Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Doctee: 9:29pm On Feb 10, 2023
seborrhic:

Many people are in the same situation as you.
That is why I was highly disappointed when Obi voiced his support for the retention of the 10th February deadline.
Atiku doesn't send,he is ready to do anything to ensure he wins the presidency,which is a pipe dream.He can even call his mother names to achieve his aim.So he stupidly believes it would actually curb vote buying.
But Obi should have known better,seeing the suffering of the common folks,who are the ones even rooting for him;seeing the enormous damage it's done to our economy,himself being a former banker and giving the impression being well grasped in economic matters,he should have expressed reservations about the policy.
Now small businesses are in dire straights,many people don't even feed because they don't have the cash to do so.
The ironic thing is that the scarcity would even now benefit vote buyers because they now have to spend less to buy votes.Just give anyone that can be bought a few of the new notes to solve their immediate needs and they have won that vote.
na 2k new notes them go give everybody for polling unit
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by heykims(m): 9:36pm On Feb 10, 2023
satelliteDISH:
Paradoxically in your area, it is the 'literates' that are accepting and the educated illiterates rejecting the old notes.
Anyone rejecting the old notes is an ignoramus.

1 Like

Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Doctee: 9:37pm On Feb 10, 2023
angelfallz:
Generally, Nigeria is trying to move away from cash. So, such people should open a bank account. The excuse that they are illiterate will not work any more.

orí ẹ ti yí Peter òbi no go enter in the name of Allah Lord and creator creator of jesus christ
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by IntroTech: 9:38pm On Feb 10, 2023
baralatie:
At the bolded
You would have expected the CBN,the ministry of finance,The NCC, and relevant security agencies to ensure that these inovators and inovatoions were up to par with the government vision first and running ,
Than for the CBN to blow the whistle for the switch only to run into glitches,hiccups and problems because the the expected needed infrastructure is lagging behind

True entrepreneurs know that perfect conditions or perfect situations do not EXIST.

All they do is just to seize whatever opportunity presents itself and then make the best out of it.

Focus.
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by descartes400: 9:38pm On Feb 10, 2023
baralatie:

So the person will now be running from one ATM to another ATM in different locations to get the new notes?

That has been our reality since the implementation of Née Naira design policy.
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by bukolabeauty09(f): 9:39pm On Feb 10, 2023
concho:
I am a trader in main market Onitsha. I have a shop in Popular Relief market and also Visited “New parts “ market in Onitsha today .

Despite the today’s (10th February ) deadline from the CBN, everyone in these markets are still trading as if nothing is happening. Starting from the motorists to the hawkers in Onitsha, no one rejects the old notes.

Though I'm scared, but I didn't give any directives to my subjects. They collects anyone they see.

As I type this, they have made up to #300,000 cash from today's sales while I wallow in confusion.

What is the situation in your area please, are the old notes rejected or being accepted??

N:B, don't mind my English, I'm just a trader

Commercial banks won't collect it starting from tomorrow if the deadline remains 10th but you can change it in any CBN branch in your state....the old one will be collected and you will be given the new currency note only in CBN by 17th you won't be chanced to change it again
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by highness25(m): 9:44pm On Feb 10, 2023
Googledotcom:
I did not go to work today because I don't want to be stranded on the road. I only have 1k old note left in my wallet.
Only 1k? Wetin 1k wan buy for this economy? Hungry go kill you oo. I have over 1m old notes with me. I will not deposit shi shi anywhere not after what I suffered the last time and let me see how someone will tell me the cash is not acceptable anymore in this country then they will know that everyone is not an illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by Dearlord(m): 9:45pm On Feb 10, 2023
seborrhic:

Many people are in the same situation as you.
That is why I was highly disappointed when Obi voiced his support for the retention of the 10th February deadline.
Atiku doesn't send,he is ready to do anything to ensure he wins the presidency,which is a pipe dream.He can even call his mother names to achieve his aim.So he stupidly believes it would actually curb vote buying.
But Obi should have known better,seeing the suffering of the common folks,who are the ones even rooting for him;seeing the enormous damage it's done to our economy,himself being a former banker and giving the impression being well grasped in economic matters,he should have expressed reservations about the policy.
Now small businesses are in dire straights,many people don't even feed because they don't have the cash to do so.
The ironic thing is that the scarcity would even now benefit vote buyers because they now have to spend less to buy votes.Just give anyone that can be bought a few of the new notes to solve their immediate needs and they have won that vote.

Thank you for your analysis
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by bonnyhope: 9:45pm On Feb 10, 2023
CilicMarin:
In Lagos! Nobody is even aware there is any dateline. Both the old and new ones are being spent.

Your brain has failed you
Re: Naira Redesign : CBN Deadline ; What's the situation in your area ? by fx45(m): 9:49pm On Feb 10, 2023
CilicMarin:

Omenka I thought you just apologized for this type of behavior

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Get Rich Quick Syndrome In Nigeria / Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah / Sugarcane Seller Using POS For His Business - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.