Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,300 members, 7,815,541 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara (53135 Views)

Queues at CBN offices (Pictures) / How To Deposit Old ₦‎1000, ₦‎500 And ₦‎200 Notes At The CBN / Hawkers Sell New Naira Notes At Parties (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by NothingDoMe: 11:18pm On Feb 16, 2023
femisplash:
Supreme Court will give judgement on the 22nd and most likely retain the legality of ALL old naira notes. No need for panick depositing.
The Supreme Court cannot determine legal tender. The Supreme Court can only ensure that the CBN continues to receive old notes according to the law.

Note also that the law does not specify how the CBN may continue to retrieve the old notes. They may decide to receive the old notes for 4 years if they like. Meaning they can give you an appointment to come and deposit in 2027.
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by virginchaser(m): 11:27pm On Feb 16, 2023
Omo, i was surprised to find out where i went to eat tonight that aboki sitting down next to me is a mai guard but has #1.2millions of old notes. I advised him to take it to cbn tomorrow but said he will burn it if no help comes forth. I questioned him further to know the source. He claimed to be doing dollar exchange along with gateman.

1 Like

Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by lexy2014: 2:44am On Feb 17, 2023
Jashub:
Let Tinubu go and deposit his old notes . We are waiting to see the outcome grin

is this about tinubu or is this about the welfare of nigerians?
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by LadyTara(f): 2:47am On Feb 17, 2023
charlsecy:
I have been trying to fill the form; the account number authentication is not working.
I hope you are using the same number you used to register for BVN?
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by LadyTara(f): 2:50am On Feb 17, 2023
Pierced:

Hello
Pls......how did u get your account number validated?

Mine keeps saying failed validation.
Use the account number of the bank you used for BVN registration.
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Pierced(f): 3:16am On Feb 17, 2023
LadyTara:
Use the account number of the bank you used for BVN registration.

The account number was validated.....but I was not able to submit.....it kept on saying request failed.

I will go to the bank today......to see if it's possible to generate it manually.
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by BluntCrazeMan: 3:20am On Feb 17, 2023
LadyTara:
So this morning I decided to try and deposit my old notes. I went cbn.gov.ng ,filled the cash deposit form ,went to the cafe to print it out and took it to cbn branch . On getting there I met other Nigerians who were already waiting for the cash swap program to commence . After hours of waiting ,some men came out and told people that had already added 200 naira notes to the form they filled online to remove it from the cash they want to deposit as they(cbn branch) just received a circular not to accept 200 naira notes as it was still legal tender.

Note: The form below will be given to you at cbn,while you must have your online print out and photocopy of a valid means of identification.

See what I am getting..

How do I proceed.??

Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by LadyTara(f): 8:29am On Feb 17, 2023
Pierced:

The account number was validated.....but I was not able to submit.....it kept on saying request failed.

I will go to the bank today......to see if it's possible to generate it manually.
Its CBN site then. I doubt you can fill it at the bank though, give update on how it went at the bank.
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by LadyTara(f): 8:30am On Feb 17, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:

See what I am getting..

How do I proceed.??
I have no idea.
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Akwaokukuo: 8:38am On Feb 17, 2023
einsteine:

This window expires tomorrow evening
You mean exchange of old #500 and old #1000 notes ends tomorrow evening? shocked
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Wildkat02: 10:01am On Feb 17, 2023
Siwisheswereesh:

Piiggiiddiioott amaka cheesy

E pain this one 😂
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by BlaqT: 10:57am On Feb 17, 2023
Exactly, their plans has failed
seborrhic:

O boy,we should try using our sense atimes.
Where is he going to see ₦200m new naira notes to distribute freely.
No matter what people may say,from what CBN did,restricting amount they give the banks,it's extremely difficult for people to stock up on the new cash in substantial amounts.Unless he prints his own currency.
Though I believe the CBN policy is poorly timed, because it's the masses that are still bearing the brunt,but the reason some politicians are crying is not because of any love they have for the masses,but that it has scattered their election plans.

1 Like

Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by ArticleBeast: 11:05am On Feb 17, 2023
Aurelius1:
What of those who live in towns where there is no CBN branch? What's gonna be their fate?
Go to where there is CBN bank or allow the old notes to go to waste.

1 Like

Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Jashub: 11:33am On Feb 17, 2023
lexy2014:

is this about tinubu or is this about the welfare of nigerians?
It's about Tinubu holding the welfare of Nigerians

1 Like

Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Pierced(f): 2:04pm On Feb 17, 2023
LadyTara:
Its CBN site then. I doubt you can fill it at the bank though, give update on how it went at the bank.

No deposit of any form going on at CBN.... I av been there since 8 am.

They said without the code.......no deposit.
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by einsteine(m): 2:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
Akwaokukuo:

You mean exchange of old #500 and old #1000 notes ends tomorrow evening? shocked

Yes.
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Akwaokukuo: 3:22pm On Feb 17, 2023
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by LadyTara(f): 3:51pm On Feb 17, 2023
Pierced:

No deposit of any form going on at CBN.... I av been there since 8 am.

They said without the code.......no deposit.
You are supposed to go there with your printout and valid means of identification else they won't attend to you.The printout contains the reference code.
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by einsteine(m): 4:25pm On Feb 17, 2023
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by lexy2014: 2:28am On Feb 18, 2023
Jashub:
It's about Tinubu holding the welfare of Nigerians

kindly explain how?
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Jashub: 2:32am On Feb 18, 2023
lexy2014:

kindly explain how?
Go and check his bullion van

1 Like

Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by lexy2014: 2:39am On Feb 18, 2023
Jashub:
Go and check his bullion van

did you check his bullion van before you made this claim:

"It's about Tinubu holding the welfare of Nigerians"

kindly explain the above
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by lexy2014: 2:43am On Feb 18, 2023
NothingDoMe:
The Supreme Court cannot determine legal tender. The Supreme Court can only ensure that the CBN continues to receive old notes according to the law.

Note also that the law does not specify how the CBN may continue to retrieve the old notes. They may decide to receive the old notes for 4 years if they like. Meaning they can give you an appointment to come and deposit in 2027.

if you say that "the Supreme Court cannot determine legal tender", how then can The same Supreme Court "ensure that the CBN continues to receive old notes according to the law"? which law gives it that power to "ensure that the CBN continues to receive old notes according to the law"?
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Jashub: 9:14am On Feb 18, 2023
lexy2014:

kindly explain the above
Shut up. What about the bullion van money(welfare) ? Wasn't that meant for Nigerians... isn't it part of the looted funds he and his colleagues acquire ? Till date Tinubu can't tell us how he made his humongous wealth. But in case you've forgotten, the Meridian scandal is still there ...hope you know grin

1 Like

Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by lexy2014: 9:48am On Feb 18, 2023
Jashub:
Shut up. What about the bullion van is money(welfare) ? Wasn't that meant for Nigerians... isn't it part of the looted funds he and his colleagues acquire ? Till date Tinubu can't tell us how he made his humongous wealth. But in case you've forgotten, the Meridian scandal is still there ...hope you know grin

kindly explain the above
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Jashub: 10:44am On Feb 18, 2023
lexy2014:

kindly explain the above
It's too early for stupidity please. If you can't understand what I've written then that's your own problem
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by NothingDoMe: 10:55am On Feb 18, 2023
lexy2014:

if you say that "the Supreme Court cannot determine legal tender", how then can The same Supreme Court "ensure that the CBN continues to receive old notes according to the law"? which law gives it that power to "ensure that the CBN continues to receive old notes according to the law"?
The CBN Act. Let's tackle them one after the other:

17. The Bank shall have the sole right of issuing currency notes and coins throughout Nigeria and neither the Federal Government nor any State Government, Local Government, other person or authority shall issue currency notes, bank notes or coins or any documents or tokens payable to bearer on demand being document or token which are likely to pass as legal tender.

No government, other person, or Authority has the power to determine legal tender in Nigeria. The Supreme Court falls under the "Authority" category.

20. (1) The currency notes issued by the Bank shall be legal tender at their face value for the payment of any amount.

(2) The coins issued by the Bank shall, if such coins have not been tampered with, be legal tender in Nigeria at their face value up to such amount or amounts as may be determined, from time to time, by the Bank

Again you see that the CBN are the only authorized authority to issue legal tender and change it. However the last part of this section contains the conditions:

(3) Notwithstanding Sub-sections (1) and (2) of this section, the Bank shall have power, if directed to do so by the President and after giving reasonable notice in that behalf, to call in any of its notes or coins on payment of the face value thereof and any note or coin with respect to which a notice has been given under this Sub- section, shall, on the expiration of the notice, cease to be legal tender, but, subject to section 22 of this Act, shall be redeemed by the Bank upon demand.

Only the president can approve of the naira redesign. Not just approve, but direct that the redesign be implemented.

This last part answers your question about the Supreme courts role in enforcing the collection of old notes. The Supreme Court will simply enforce this part of the CBN Act.

But like I said earlier, they cannot force logistics. Especially since the CBN says they've destroyed the old notes already and the machines are bad.

To force logistics, the governors have to go back to the Supreme court after giving a reasonable amount of time. By that time elections will be over.
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by lexy2014: 10:55am On Feb 18, 2023
Jashub:
It's too early for stupidity please. If you can't understand what I've written then that's your own problem

Let's try again.

Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by lexy2014: 10:58am On Feb 18, 2023
NothingDoMe:
The CBN Act. Let's tackle them one after the other:

17. The Bank shall have the sole right of issuing currency notes and coins throughout Nigeria and neither the Federal Government nor any State Government, Local Government, other person or authority shall issue currency notes, bank notes or coins or any documents or tokens payable to bearer on demand being document or token which are likely to pass as legal tender.

No government, other person, or Authority has the power to determine legal tender in Nigeria. The Supreme Court falls under the "Authority" category.

20. (1) The currency notes issued by the Bank shall be legal tender at their face value for the payment of any amount..in Nigeria E C

(2) The coins issued by the Bank shall, if such coins have not been tampered with, be legal tender in Nigeria at their face value up to such amount or amounts as may be determined, from time to time, by the Bank

Again you see that the bank are the only authorized authority to issue legal tender and change it at will. However the last part of this section contains the conditions:

(3) Notwithstanding Sub-sections (1) and (2) of this section, the Bank shall have power, if directed to do so by the President and after giving reasonable notice in that behalf, to call in any of its notes or coins on payment of the face value thereof and any note or coin with respect to which a notice has been given under this Sub- section, shall, on the expiration of the notice, cease to be legal tender, but, subject to section 22 of this Act, shall be redeemed by the Bank upon demand.

Only the president can approve of the naira redesign. Not just approve, but direct that the redesign be implemented.

This last part answers your question about the Supreme courts role in enforcing the collection of old notes. The Supreme Court will simply enforce this part of the CBN Act.

But like I said earlier, they cannot force logistics. Especially since the CBN says they've destroyed the old notes already and the machines are bad.

To force logistics, the governors have to go back to the Supreme court after giving a reasonable amount of time. By that time elections will be over.

It seems you didn't understand the questions I asked and the previous comments you made that necessitated the questions.

you said that "the Supreme Court cannot determine legal tender".

how then can The same Supreme Court "ensure that the CBN continues to receive old notes according to the law"?

which law gives the supreme court the power to "ensure that the CBN continues to receive old notes according to the law"?

In my second paragraph take note of the word "how"
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Jashub: 11:00am On Feb 18, 2023
lexy2014:

Let's try again.

Let's do this again...only this time let's use picture evidence grin

Please why is a bullion van coming out of his house two days before the election? And how did Tinubu get this money...how did he earn it ? Because prior to him becoming governor of Lagos he didn't have this much not to talk of a bullion van. So answer how did he accumulate such wealth in a short a period .

Secondly , how did Tinubu make his wealth as an accountant? Because the last time I checked , an accountant's salary $136k a year , and that's for experienced accountants with Phds in developed countries who are working with firms like Black Rock. But Tinubu does not even have an accounting degree , so how did he make that staggering amount without a degree or Phd ...?

So please where did those billions come from if not from the nation's treasury ?

Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by lexy2014: 11:05am On Feb 18, 2023
Jashub:
Let's do this again...only this time let's use picture evidence grin

Please why is a bullion van coming out of his house two days before the election? And how did Tinubu get this money...how did he earn it ? Because prior to him becoming governor of Lagos he didn't have this much not to talk of a bullion van. So answer how did he accumulate such wealth in a short a period .

Secondly , how did Tinubu make his wealth as an accountant? Because the last time we check , an accountant's salary $136k a year and that's for experienced accountants in developed countries working with firms like Black Rock.

So please where did those billions come from if not from the nation's treasury ?

Simple yes or no
Re: I Just Deposited Old Notes At CBN - LadyTara by Jashub: 11:06am On Feb 18, 2023
lexy2014:

Simple yes or no

Answer us first : grin

Secondly , how did Tinubu make his wealth as an accountant? Because the last time I checked , an accountant's salary $136k a year , and that's for experienced accountants with Phds in developed countries who are working with firms like Black Rock. But Tinubu does not even have an accounting degree , so how did he make that staggering amount without a degree or Phd ...?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Meet Kamoru Yusuf And Wife, Bolanle: Kam Industries Owners, Steel Mill / Rice Seller Cries Out: The Money They Paid Me Turned To Something Else / Naira Drops To 490/$1, 600/£1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.