Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,143 members, 7,815,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. (12757 Views)

Can Nigerian Legion Members Carry Guns? / Christian Association Of Nigeria (CAN) Denies N7b Bribery Allegation / I Never Said Nigerians Should Be Allowed To Carry Guns —oritsejafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by selingel: 9:21am On Sep 13, 2011
Now that the country is sliding, Christian Association of Nigerian has solicited that Federal Govt should allow Nigerians to carry Guns. They see it as a sure way to end these senseless killings.

eanwhile, following the recent attacks on some villagers by a sect in Jos Plateau State, in which several people died, the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has called on President Jonathan to allow every Nigerian to carry arms for self-protection.

The national president of CAN, Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, made the call through a statement, a copy of which was made available to the Nigerian Tribune on Monday.

He said “we urge the president, as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, to stop the orgy of ethnic cleansing or accede to recent calls for all Nigerians to carry arms.”

Stating that the killing of innocent villagers could not assuage electoral disadvantages, Oritsejafor added that if the president could no longer guarantee the safety of life and property of Nigerians, in accordance with the oath he took, then the National Assembly should immediately enact a law that would make every Nigerian to carry arms for their own protection.

“As a nation, we cannot continue like this. There has to be a genuine demonstration of commitment to the collective development of the country, through honesty of purpose. The current orgy of violent ethnic crises has continued unabated for several days, just a few days after the president had identified the people behind the growing spate of terrorism in the country,” the statement said.

Worried by the new dimension the crises had assumed in recent times, which had led to the killing of over 52 persons, including pregnant women and children within 10 days, the CAN president called on President Jonathan to reassure Nigerians that he had the capacity to guarantee their safety in any part of the nation, by urgently halting what he called the madness taking place in parts of Plateau State,
http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/28100-jonathan-orders-military-to-end-jos-killingsfg-set-to-implement-reports-on-jos-crisis-allow-nigerians-to-carry-guns-can
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by selingel: 9:45am On Sep 13, 2011
How will it be, when all men have their own AK-47s? It may not stop crime, but it will definitely stop these brutal killings in a place like Jos, and other trouble spots.
Abi?
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by Otobroto(f): 10:03am On Sep 13, 2011
selingel:

How will it be, when all men have their own AK-47s? It may not stop crime, but it will definitely stop these brutal killings in a place like Jos, and other trouble spots.
Abi?

Carrying of arms is not allowed in Christianity, no matter what. If men and women in other religion or sect have decided to go archaic, and wicked, it still does not make room for arms.
What pains me most here is that, Sultan of Sokoto is enjoying the blood flow. If the Number moon-sighter in Nigeria, cannot control those he sights the moon for, then, I smell a rat. I used to feel is political, until I noticed of recent that, ALL those who could have calmed the situation, are enjoying the killings.
GOD will help us all (both Christians and Yoruba-Muslims), as the case maybe.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by PointB: 10:12am On Sep 13, 2011
Nigerians carrying gun wont necessary be a bad thing; it will simply enthrone the principle of MAD - Mutually Assured Destruction, that prevented US and Russia engaging themselves in a senseless nuclear war.

I think this is necessary especially to control the incessant violence in the Jos plateau. Hence Jos would be a good place to start.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by alex14(m): 1:30pm On Sep 13, 2011
This is the best idea ever since the creation of the shi.t called nigeria. It will guarantee that you either kill your attacker or be killed!
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by Demdem(m): 2:17pm On Sep 13, 2011
Instead of them to solicit for SNC. carrying arms wont solve jack.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by kodewrita(m): 4:01pm On Sep 13, 2011
its going to be harder to rob people. You will have to plan your robbery well, otherwise that rich neighbour might have bought enough weapons for all male children and self(Smoking armed robbers left,right and center),
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by otokx(m): 4:30pm On Sep 13, 2011
Did CAN really say that?
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by hakanai(m): 4:51pm On Sep 13, 2011
Carry arms, maybe good since both parties would be given approval for the arms.Foolishly for CAN do they think the people in Nigeria do not carry illegal arms or what.The case of Jos,I tell you the Beroms are as armed as the Fulanis and anyone else you think.The problem is when the fulanis pick a target to attack,its the vunerable targets.Since the first crisis Berom started using guns and subsequent fights they have and continue to use same.Forget it,The advent of gun has leveled the battle field for both sides.As the Hausa communities and the berom can stop any mass action on them by the nozzles of guns.
Where the fulanis keep hitting the beroms is in there vast remote villages where they rarely would expect an attack or on any community who falls asleep.The Hausa,Christian,fulani and muslim communities have long had vigilantes and weapons to fend off attacks.So legalizing guns may only arm more areas outside Jos and cause us more violence.When you legalize, it doesn't stop your enemy from acquiring it too.Its not about the guns its always about strategy period.
Than legalize arms,a house to house search would do just fine.Make sure it covers all sides and see who pumps out the must weapons.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 13, 2011
^^^^^^ is it not wrong in islam to attack vulnerable targets, even conventional war, forbids attacking women and children.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 13, 2011
Otobroto:

Carrying of arms is not allowed in Christianity, no matter what. If men and women in other religion or sect have decided to go archaic, and wicked, it still does not make room for arms.
What pains me most here is that, Sultan of Sokoto is enjoying the blood flow. If the Number moon-sighter in Nigeria, cannot control those he sights the moon for, then, I smell a rat. I used to feel is political, until I noticed of recent that, ALL those who could have calmed the situation, are enjoying the killings.
GOD will help us all (both Christians and Yoruba-Muslims), as the case maybe.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
where in the bible is that? pls quote the book, chapter and verse angry
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by udezue(m): 5:25pm On Sep 13, 2011
A good idea.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by jason123: 5:29pm On Sep 13, 2011
Are these people actually christians undecided
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by OLASODE2K: 5:59pm On Sep 13, 2011
CAN beyond doubts has overstepped its boundary with this unChristlike posturing. If this suggestion had come from a moslem mouth, the poor guy would have been tagged a war-eater Muhammedian. However, nothing is wrong with putting the records straight. I am surely know most of the countries where gun ownership is very easy are perpetually in turmoils as a direct result of people having the most lethal means to settle scores much faster. From forensic studies of the weapons of assault like broken bottle, knife, club, sword etc it was discovered that a gun is about seven times more lethal than the combined lethality of each weapon and worse it require least effort to achieve-merely pulling a trigger. An attacker that very so much knows he might meet a gun will always be doubly ruthless. Even when u want to handover ur cupboard keys to him might shoot in anxiety. If i have a gun and i am hungry, dont think i might be tempted to rob? If some area boys beat my sister up but since knowin fully well i stand the risk of being shot if i comfront them, wont i then take my gun along too to defend myself. And wat do u think would have happened? Miniwar. Countries like USA, mexico, russia, jamaica, pakistan, afghanistan, iraq, somalia etc. If these countries are regretting the devastating effects guns can have on their security, why would CAN be mooting such a very disappointing idea? Do u think the last london riot would have claim just that unfortunate guy whose killing sparked the riots if the angry rioters had access to guns? Hundreds might have died. That is the plain truth CAN to know. Moreover, it is a general knowledge that close to 80%plateau crisis casualties are been borne by the hausas there. May CAN is very eager to make it a 100% casualty rate for the hausas. Too sad.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by kodewrita(m): 6:02pm On Sep 13, 2011
Definitely not a christian thing: Christians forgive their enemies and pray for them.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by Otobroto(f): 12:16am On Sep 14, 2011
careytommy:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
where in the bible is that? pls quote the book, chapter and verse angry

Whether you like it or yes, it is unChrist-like, to carry arms about. It may not be enshrined in the Bible directly, but his teachings indirectly forbade it.
Even in the society where they are freely carried about, has crime reduced?
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by mekaboy(m): 12:21am On Sep 14, 2011
WHO SAID CARRYING ARMS IS NOT ALLOWED IN CHRISTIANITY? ALL THE BATTLES THAT ISRAEL FOUGHT, IS IT WITH THEIR HANDS THAT THEY FOUHGT OR WITH ARMS?

DIDNT THE DISCIPLES OF JESUS CARRY ARMS? OR WAS IT NOT A DISCIPLE THAT CUT SOMEONES EAR WHEN THEY CAME TO ARREST CHRIST?

THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THE ARMS IS THAT, WHEN EVERYONE STARTS CARRYING ARMS, THEN THE BAD GUYS WILL UPGRADE TO "ODESHI"WHICH MEANS THE BULLET WILL NOT PENETRATE THEM. SO WILL EVERYONE UPGRADE TOO ?
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by merge(f): 12:29am On Sep 14, 2011
All these senseless Africans saying carrying gun is not a christian thing. Christianity is not even an African religion and was forced upon them at GUNPOINT by the British. You people are just beyond senseless.

I support this idea.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:31am On Sep 14, 2011
Very stupid if they actually said this.

Carrying arms would degenerate into a free for all,
and quite easily the weapon of choice for settling scores.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by omobadan(m): 1:48am On Sep 14, 2011
I think the problem with Nigerians is, we tend to want to solve a problem by destroying a whole community. You're advocating for all citizens to carry gun because of the problem in Jos? So, what happens to the rest of the country? Someone was saying it would be hard for anyone to get robbed. Really? You think armed robbers can't come to your house because you've got an AK47? Dream on. That country will be dead in no time! And this CAN that's selling all this rubbish, what do they think they are? People should use their head! We can't solve that country's problem by being irrational.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by LoveKing(m): 1:51am On Sep 14, 2011
Well can president came out to say it, not those imams who secretly fuel these boko haram people. well they are all of the same stock
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:29am On Sep 14, 2011
this man just made my day!
this is one of what i have been planing to agitate if i ever get my way in naija!
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by rufflychux(m): 3:41am On Sep 14, 2011
<careytommy> above who asked where The Bible condemns violence.
The Bible condemns violence in more than one place. Here are a few examples:
John 15:12-13
"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Leviticus 19:18 (King James Version)
"Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD."

Matthew 22:37-39 "Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Leviticus 19:18 (King James Version)
"Thou shalt NOT revenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD."

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should NOT perish, but have everlasting life."

And so many other verses.

God is LOVE and those who follow him must show that love.

God is LIGHT. Anyone who hates his neighbor and holds a grudge has a darkness in his/her heart.
GOD is LOVE and LIGHT.
</careytommy>
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by lagcity(m): 3:59am On Sep 14, 2011
carry arms and become somalia? no thanks
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:03am On Sep 14, 2011
not only against bokoharam but if ever get my way, ppl like obj,orji,ibb and co wouldnt have been walking around now ! i swear!
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by buzcenter: 4:56am On Sep 14, 2011
Nigerians are already allowed to carry Gun just need to get license for it,but you need mad test first of all
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by scorpio1(m): 5:11am On Sep 14, 2011
When he says carry arms, it means Pistol and not Ak-47, already there's a license to carry rifles in Nigeria but not small arms like Pistol, so if the law is established, i'm gonna go get a Desert Eagle for myself, before you try me you gotta make sure you're prepared cos i'm a blow your skull off if you aren't,
It's a welcome idea by me, to some extent it will stop senseless robberies and attacks cos you'll be scared of what the next person will wield,
SUPPORTED!!!
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by OtunbaGm: 5:23am On Sep 14, 2011
The funny thing is that is poor people they are killing. Why cant they go to the General houses,former head of states,governors and bomb them up,
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by ziccoit: 5:24am On Sep 14, 2011
Assuming a recognised Islamic body came out to vomit this? Hypocrisy of highest order.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by Ossaifamous(m): 5:34am On Sep 14, 2011
how can a true christian suggest this
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by Onlytruth(m): 5:50am On Sep 14, 2011
This is the most sensible recommendation by any organization in Nigeria. Either this, or ALL weapons in circulation (including police own sef undecided, yes they give them to armed robbers and kidnappers! cry ) must be rounded up and locked up.

Let police use our abundant manpower and good old baton. cool

Military men must be banned from carrying weapons within the boarders of the Nigerian nation. Make dem go face Cameroon for Bakassi and make dem chase Bokom Haram all the way to Somalia. cool

Else, EVERYBODY SHOULD BE ARMED. cool

Kudos to CAN.
Re: Allow Nigerians To Carry Guns - Christian Association Of Nigeria. by ujukala: 5:51am On Sep 14, 2011
It won't stop the killings.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tunde Idiagbon's 74th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Suicide Bombers Attack Maiduguri, Eight Feared Dead, Score Injured / Edo 2020: Buhari Urges APC To Avoid Rivers, Zamfara Experiences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.