Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,107 members, 7,814,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice - Family (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice (52633 Views)

Why I Won't Allow My Brother To Bring His Wife Abroad- Nigerian Lady, Arike(vid) / Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. / My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Eserise1(m): 8:15pm On Apr 02, 2023
jagaban002:

Your comment is very stupid sir .
The foolishness of God is the wisdom of man
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by ozalogbo: 8:19am On Apr 03, 2023
The rule stated earlier that the marriage is between the man and his wife, not between the man, his wife and his mother is a compelling reason for me to take a clear position. It is not about revenge. We can not change the rule now. Clearly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Chinny024(f): 10:36am On Apr 03, 2023
ozalogbo:
I am the first child of my mother, and I have two younger male siblings. I am doing well financially. My wife is the last of four children in her family. My dad died when I was still in the university, and this affected my mum.

However, as she aged, her health waned. She was a retired teacher. My brothers are not in the country. Both of them are in Europe. I wanted to have my mother stay with me in her later years because of her health and loneliness but my wife did not want it.

Whenever she was ill and I brought her home to be with us, my wife was usually hostile, especially if my mum had stayed beyond a week. She did not hid her disapproval, and this caused problems in the marriage. People advised that I should send my mum away and pay someone to live with her and take care of her. They said that marriage was between a man and his wife, not between a man, his wife, and his mother. I did and peace returned. Eventually my mum passed on after a few years.

Along the line, my father in law also died. And down the line, my mother in law's health began to deteriorate. We live in the same town. Among my wife's siblings she is the only one doing quite well. Now there are suggestions that the mother should come and live with us so that my wife can give her proper care. I believe that her living with us and seeing her grandchildren will help her. And indeed i have no problem accepting her, but when i remember the treatment my wife gave to my mum, there is a strong revulsion, in fact, anger in me. I shared with a friend, and he advised i forgive my wife, but the revulsion is so strong that i would feel cheated if i agreed.

What do you guys think. She reminded me then that marriage was between a man and his wife only. Shouldn't this also apply to my wife now?

Chai....When am here begging my mother inlaw to come and live permanently with us..She keeps saying her husband will be lonely at home,her livestock too..As she leaves after every visit, tears rolls down my cheek at the motor park.

This life no balance at all..

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by MadarasBlade(m): 8:31pm On Apr 03, 2023
cococandy:
exactly. That’s why it’s his responsibility not his wife. Glad we are on the same page

Exactly, it's his responsibility to make sure his mother in law doesn't step a foot into that house.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by DanAugust2021: 2:45pm On Apr 04, 2023
ogbe88:
U r not well.
Him abi she(as the person no show whether e be man or woman)no well at all.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by drnoel: 7:13pm On Apr 10, 2023
shantti:

If u discovered ur wife poisoned your food to kill u. Considering ur kids, what will u do?

Since two wrongs doesn't make a right, u forgive and continue to eat her food, right?

This is outside the scope of the topic of conversation. You watch too many Nigerian home videos for you too active imagination
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Mysteriousworld: 7:52am On Nov 05, 2023
ozalogbo:
I am the first child of my mother, and I have two younger male siblings. I am doing well financially. My wife is the last of four children in her family. My dad died when I was still in the university, and this affected my mum.

However, as she aged, her health waned. She was a retired teacher. My brothers are not in the country. Both of them are in Europe. I wanted to have my mother stay with me in her later years because of her health and loneliness but my wife did not want it.

Whenever she was ill and I brought her home to be with us, my wife was usually hostile, especially if my mum had stayed beyond a week. She did not hid her disapproval, and this caused problems in the marriage. People advised that I should send my mum away and pay someone to live with her and take care of her. They said that marriage was between a man and his wife, not between a man, his wife, and his mother. I did and peace returned. Eventually my mum passed on after a few years.

Along the line, my father in law also died. And down the line, my mother in law's health began to deteriorate. We live in the same town. Among my wife's siblings she is the only one doing quite well. Now there are suggestions that the mother should come and live with us so that my wife can give her proper care. I believe that her living with us and seeing her grandchildren will help her. And indeed i have no problem accepting her, but when i remember the treatment my wife gave to my mum, there is a strong revulsion, in fact, anger in me. I shared with a friend, and he advised i forgive my wife, but the revulsion is so strong that i would feel cheated if i agreed.

What do you guys think. She reminded me then that marriage was between a man and his wife only. Shouldn't this also apply to my wife now?

Sorry this is coming late.
But i can never ever take such from my wife.
The only human being in this world that can die for me is my Mom... Ill be a bad son to put her away because of my wife.... That'll will be very ungrateful of me to all my mother has sacrificed for me.
Infact i dont mind the marriage ending... Although my Mom and my wife are very close....
Im just saying if i were to be in your shoes... My Mom comes first a billion times before my wife.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED...
HONOR YOUR PARENTS , NOT YOUR WIFE...
GOD FORBID I HAVE SUCH A WIFE... THE MARRIAGE WILL BE DONE INSTANTLY.
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Mysteriousworld: 7:55am On Nov 05, 2023
ozalogbo:
The rule stated earlier that the marriage is between the man and his wife, not between the man, his wife and his mother is a compelling reason for me to take a clear position. It is not about revenge. We can not change the rule now. Clearly.

Okay .Mama wey suffer for me, if not for mama, shey wife go see me.
Ill do anything for my mom... Shame on men who chose their wife over their mothers...(especially if their mother is a good mother like mine)
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Mysteriousworld: 8:00am On Nov 05, 2023
ozalogbo:

This post really annoyed me...
Imagine... You choose wife over mom
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Cowbell521: 8:35pm On Nov 29, 2023
ozalogbo:

Update? You this mugu husband
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Cowbell521: 8:36pm On Nov 29, 2023
ozalogbo:
Have your mother's spirit started tormenting you?
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by lekbel09(m): 12:00pm On Nov 30, 2023
cococandy:
When sick and old in-laws come to love with the family, the expectation is that the wife will be the one to provide care for the sick and old family member. So your wife should have the final say on who’s coming for extended say in my opinion.

Because let’s face it, your wife would have been the one to give your mom bed baths, bathroom care etc. now that her mom is coming, she’s still the one who will be expected to do that. Not you.

So it might not be the presence of your mom she didn’t want. She just didn’t want the extra responsibility which invariably falls on her. Before you ask why she can’t treat your mom the way she treats her mom, know that her mom will be willing to die for her but your mom won’t. That’s the difference

Try to reason well before you talk trash, a wise person wouldn't say this rubbish

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Ensa777(f): 5:27pm On Mar 03
ozalogbo:
As I read some of your comments, I smiled. Let me provide some information about my mum: she was a born again Christian, a genuine one. She belonged to those holiness preaching denomination. She was a peaceful person. When I stamped my feet and said no! she would be the one to say no, my son.
She would be the one to say, 'What God has joined together, let no one put asunder'. And she would quietly take her leave, against my stand. That was a big problem. She would say, instead of there to be trouble in your home because of me, I better leave. She was TOO peaceful

@op,what would you later do?
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by PastorOlokonla: 5:48pm On Mar 03
I don ban my mother in law from my home as well. I married her daughter not her.
I can't have someone wispering to my wife behind my back.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Wife Caught Having Sex With Another Man, She Starves Husband Of Sex / How to Deal With a Wife That Nags a Lot / Cheating With Pride. Wife Explains Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.