Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,084 members, 7,814,750 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice (52626 Views)

Why I Won't Allow My Brother To Bring His Wife Abroad- Nigerian Lady, Arike(vid) / Don't Marry Me If You Won't Allow My Relations To Stay Or Visit Me. / My Wife's Elder Sister Has Finally Settled In My Home & I Don't Know What To Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 8:41am On Mar 29, 2023
If this trash is true,then you op is the GREATEST SIMP OF ALL TIME.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nitoriolohun1: 9:46am On Mar 29, 2023
WOMEN SHA !!!

Forgive but never forget, I expected your wife to be more civil and never let such discussion or arrangement get to you not to talk of the fact that you are considering it maybe you should or not.

In fact if you do God will punish you !!!

You allowed your mother died an untimely death courtesy your wife, YES !!! untimely death because loneliness kills faster than a bullet

I was discussing with a lady recently and she said she's praying her mother in-law is dead before getting to marry any man that will come for her and I said to her immediately you will never see your grandchildren too

Apostle was right, truly marriage comes with alot of problems.

OP, I repeat God will punish you if you allow your mother in-law in your house. Bunch of selfish souls

Shout out to all women that are still humane, God bless you all.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Praisepriest: 9:49am On Mar 29, 2023
Take this bitter pill. Love your wife and children but anything she does to your family do her back twice her brain go set. If you allow your mother-in-law come and stay. The day you will be poor or sick she will treat you bad which will lead to your death. I pray you dont have stroke later in life then you will understand me. Ire o!!!!!!!!

26 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by donaldchidi: 9:52am On Mar 29, 2023
Klass99:

shocked. This is one of the reasons I smile and shake my head when people want to kill themselves over the fact that they don't have children or they haven't given birth yet after a few years of marriage.

These parents you say should not stay with their married children beyond 3 days for a visit and should not stay beyond 1 week in case of a health challenge are the same people who were there when you had nothing, when you were a baby and helpless, they could have crushed you or mistreated you, but no, they did their duty by you and they did it well too.

While I think I understand your view, these sort of rules only make sense for extremely troublesome parents or in-laws who like to cause tension or drive a wedge between couples with their blood is thicker than water mantra, a toxic attitude etc. Not all parents are problematic or bad, neither do most deserve this sort of treatment from their own offspring. Like seriously, what the hell?

Some of you married folks on this forum leave me in shock and awe with your take on issues and it amuses me to no end when you guys turn around again to ask others if they are married or even call them kids because of a difference in opinions.

My brother, I saying parents should not stay more than necessary no mean u should not take care of them and is not a must that is only in ur huz ur parents must be taken care of...
Besides I don't think your married yet to know what am saying Sha but anyhow very soon you will

3 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Mercury12(m): 10:01am On Mar 29, 2023
Don't allow it. Go get a place and someone to take care of your mother in-law Just like what your wife did to your mom.
You just have to teach her this lesson so she will have sense and not make such stupid mistake ever again. Don't let it slide pls

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Mercury12(m): 10:07am On Mar 29, 2023
Neweramify:
Op your wife was wrong, but try and understand her fear. Most women feel inconvenient around their mother inlaw. Not because she hates her mother inlaw but for the fear of the unknown.

Let her know how you feel knowing she wanna bring her mum in when she rejected your mum. I'm sure she will feel remorse of her action.

Permit her to bring her mum, cause if anything happen to the old woman, she may accuse you of one thing or the other.
Accuse who? Allow what?

Did the husband accuse her of killing his mom?

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Mikeeytools: 10:14am On Mar 29, 2023
OP if you allow her easily like that I go swear for you. What rubbish delta man is this. Give her the same treatment now you have the chance to teach her a good lesson.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Gotocourt: 11:06am On Mar 29, 2023
ozalogbo:
I am the first child of my mother, and I have two younger male siblings. I am doing well financially. My wife is the last of four children in her family. My dad died when I was still in the university, and this affected my mum. However, as she aged, her health waned. Se was a retired teacher. My brothers are not in the country. Both of them are in Europe. I wanted to have my mother stay with me in her later years because of her health and loneliness but my wife did not want it. Whenever she was ill and I brought her home to be with us, my wife was usually hostile, especially if my mum had stayed beyond a week. She did not hid her disapproval, and this caused problems in the marriage. People advised that I should send my mum away and pay someone to live with her and take care of her. They said that marriage was between a man and his wife, not between a man, his wife, and his mother. I did and peace returned. Eventually my mum passed on after a few years.

Along the line, my father in law also died. And down the line, my mother in law's health began to deteriorate. We live in the same town. Among my wife's siblings she is the only one doing quite well. Now there are suggestions that the mother should come and live with us so that my wife can give her proper care. I believe that her living with us and seeing her grandchildren will help her. And indeed i have no problem accepting her, but when i remember the treatment my wife gave to my mum, there is a strong revulsion, in fact, anger in me. I shared with a friend, and he advised i forgive my wife, but the revulsion is so strong that i would feel cheated if i agreed. What do you guys think. She reminded me then that marriage was between a man and his wife only. Shouldn't this also apply to my wife now?
Boss, follow your mind. Your wife is manupulative hence her family should deal with it.

Much respect boss

7 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by westlius(m): 11:34am On Mar 29, 2023
Nemesis0147:
u are sick!!
OP don’t allow her bring her old mother into your house…marriage is between you and your wife and not between you,your wife and her mother!!

Since your wife is doing well financially too.,,let her pay someone to be taking care of her mother too!!
Wetin dy do all these men?
Who peace help?
She didn’t consider peace when she was being hostile to your own mother…MENT!!
Op please listen to these person
Correct point started.
Always know ur mother is ur blood
Ur wife isn't d same blood with u

2 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Rexymania(m): 12:16pm On Mar 29, 2023
Do not accept

She's not okay at all.

Tell her to get an apartment for her mother too

6 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by dominique(f): 12:28pm On Mar 29, 2023
Reply her exactly as she replied you. Marriage is between a man and woman not man woman and her mother. Your mother is not allowed to stay in your home but hers is? Total nonsense!

26 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 29, 2023
Who were you expecting to nurse your mother had it been she stayed with you guys until she passed away?

Your wife?
ozalogbo:
I am the first child of my mother, and I have two younger male siblings. I am doing well financially. My wife is the last of four children in her family. My dad died when I was still in the university, and this affected my mum. However, as she aged, her health waned. Se was a retired teacher. My brothers are not in the country. Both of them are in Europe. I wanted to have my mother stay with me in her later years because of her health and loneliness but my wife did not want it. Whenever she was ill and I brought her home to be with us, my wife was usually hostile, especially if my mum had stayed beyond a week. She did not hid her disapproval, and this caused problems in the marriage. People advised that I should send my mum away and pay someone to live with her and take care of her. They said that marriage was between a man and his wife, not between a man, his wife, and his mother. I did and peace returned. Eventually my mum passed on after a few years.

Along the line, my father in law also died. And down the line, my mother in law's health began to deteriorate. We live in the same town. Among my wife's siblings she is the only one doing quite well. Now there are suggestions that the mother should come and live with us so that my wife can give her proper care. I believe that her living with us and seeing her grandchildren will help her. And indeed i have no problem accepting her, but when i remember the treatment my wife gave to my mum, there is a strong revulsion, in fact, anger in me. I shared with a friend, and he advised i forgive my wife, but the revulsion is so strong that i would feel cheated if i agreed. What do you guys think. She reminded me then that marriage was between a man and his wife only. Shouldn't this also apply to my wife now?
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by AKWATGOLD1(m): 1:24pm On Mar 29, 2023
Guy,
Give them back in the scenario when you own mother was sick. If your wife threaten you call the marriage off because your women do not know that they married groom's family not the groom himself. If anything happen to you now (God forbid), it is only your mother that will be looking after the so-called wife will run.

ozalogbo:

3 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Kiemutex: 1:42pm On Mar 29, 2023
This write up remind me of my cousin,a nice guy doing well In the country before he relocated to South Africa,along the while he came back pick his wife and had kids over there,he do tell me then and I quote,"I love my wife pass my mama"I do caution him guy you have to be very careful with women,the love you are receiving is cos you are financially stable and a big boy,not quite long he move his mother in-law and a sibling to join them abroad,before you know it guy went broke,ran home to naija and went back to his mother house he barely cater for,the so called wife with the advice from her mother start doing runs with some yahoo guys,my cousin nearly ran mad,the family have to stand by him and was advised to let go since the wife has chosen such path.

23 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by GoldSantana: 3:34pm On Mar 29, 2023
What's good for the Greeks is also good for Uganda

26 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by ozalogbo: 3:36pm On Mar 29, 2023
I want to thank you all for your responses. I know exactly what to do. I am not weak as my write up probably portrayed, from the responses of some of you. But a lot of the time, 'forgive and forget' has been a strong weapon of blackmail that others always use against others. I shall not say much for now. Let me thank you again. You never really know the extent to which opinions expressed on a platform like this shape and influence peoples opinions and actions, especially those expressed outside sentiments. Kudos!

54 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by olamilekan9(m): 3:55pm On Mar 29, 2023
op haba naw,why 9ja women dey always like manipulate men sef,the issue dey pain me wtf,guy bro bros,if you allow your mother in-law come live you whereas your own mama no fit come stay with you,guy bro bros you re a big fool i swear down,let her mother go live somewhere else and you can be paying people that will take care of her too..no follow all these female advice wey dem dey drop for you ooo..even your mom in heaven will never be happy with you hundred

7 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by olamilekan9(m): 3:58pm On Mar 29, 2023
dominique:
Reply her exactly as she replied you. Marriage is between a man and woman not man woman and her mother. Your mother is not allowed to stay in your home but hers is? Total nonsense!
God bless you sis

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by jenifer007: 4:12pm On Mar 29, 2023
ozalogbo:
I want to thank you all for your responses. I know exactly what to do. I am not weak as my write up probably portrayed, from the responses of some of you. But a lot of the time, 'forgive and forget' has been a strong weapon of blackmail that others always use against others. I shall not say much for now. Let me thank you again. You never really know the extent to which opinions expressed on a platform like this shape and influence peoples opinions and actions, especially those expressed outside sentiments. Kudos!

Your wife is a very wicked woman

She should expect the same treatment from her son's wife in the future

14 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Clinghton: 4:56pm On Mar 29, 2023
The woman I married, against my mother visiting. Dem never born am.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Justbehave(m): 5:38pm On Mar 29, 2023
Samantha124:
Who were you expecting to nurse your mother had it been she stayed with you guys until she passed away?

Your wife?
This post is not for fools like you so get out.

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 29, 2023
Who are you to tell me to get out? Seun Osewa?

This is not your forum or your grandmama's forum, so shut the hell up if you have nothing better to say.

And last time I checked, I was asking op, not you.
Justbehave:
This post is not for fools like you so get out.

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by eyinjuege: 5:54pm On Mar 29, 2023
Wo, ask your wife to employ someone to stay with her.
Just tell her you don't want any external interference, and that's the same reason you didn't allow your own mother to stay with uou.
She can always check on her mother regularly, especially as she lives close by

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by eyinjuege: 5:58pm On Mar 29, 2023
Samantha124:

Your wife?

He ended up getting a maid to look after the mother.
That could still have been done in his home, and he could have employed a maid to just cater to his mother if the wife was unable to do so.
I understand the wife's stance of not having a long-term visitor in their home, but it's a bit cheeky of her to expect her own mother to stay while she denied her husband the opportunity of staying close to his mother before her death

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 29, 2023
Please, the questions were directed at the op and no one else here.

If you don't mind, let him be the one to answer my questions, so that I can know how to advise him.
eyinjuege:

He ended up getting a maid to look after the mother.
That could still have been done in his home, and he could have employed a maid to just cater to his mother if the wife was unable to do so.
I understand the wife's stance of not having a long-term visitor in their home, but it's a bit cheeky of her to expect her own mother to stay while she denied her husband the opportunity of staying close to his mother before her death
Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by flexyoo: 6:28pm On Mar 29, 2023
Real MENT!!! What's wrong with our men?! An eye for an eye works best in this situation. OP thunder will fire you if you allow her mother live in that house with you. I hate nonsense
Nemesis0147:
u are sick!!
OP don’t allow her bring her old mother into your house…marriage is between you and your wife and not between you,your wife and her mother!!

Since your wife is doing well financially too.,,let her pay someone to be taking care of her mother too!!
Wetin dy do all these men?
Who peace help?
She didn’t consider peace when she was being hostile to your own mother…MENT!!

8 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by ChybuzzDD(m): 6:34pm On Mar 29, 2023
Neweramify:
Op your wife was wrong, but try and understand her fear. Most women feel inconvenient around their mother inlaw. Not because she hates her mother inlaw but for the fear of the unknown.

Let her know how you feel knowing she wanna bring her mum in when she rejected your mum. I'm sure she will feel remorse of her action.

Permit her to bring her mum, cause if anything happen to the old woman, she may accuse you of one thing or the other.

The Op can also accuse her of being responsible for the death of his own mother, if she thinks accusation is her hobby or exclusive preserve.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by ChybuzzDD(m): 6:40pm On Mar 29, 2023
flexyoo:
Real MENT!!! What's wrong with our men?! An eye for an eye works best in this situation. OP thunder will fire you if you allow her mother live in that house with you. I hate nonsense

It's quite annoying and disappointing to see how some men allow their wives maltreat their parent(s) who suffered to train them.

A wife who doesn't want to see her mother in law in her husband's house should leave instead.
There shouldn't be any negotiation about that.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by weslay: 6:46pm On Mar 29, 2023
OP, you're a weakling. you need to toughen up and put you wife in check.

That said, don't condescend to the level of your wife. Let your mother in-law stay. She is family.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Dtruthspeaker: 6:48pm On Mar 29, 2023
ozalogbo:
I am the first child of my mother, and I have two younger male siblings. I am doing well financially. My wife is the last of four children in her family. ..

Guy, don't think about it. Do not, I repeat do not let her in!

Although, you should have kicked her out when she did her shit but now, you are gonna have to kick her out if she does not buckle. The same thing she did to you must be done to her. Imagine, she could even ask.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Dtruthspeaker: 6:49pm On Mar 29, 2023
ojun50:
Discuss with her and remind her how she treated yr mum, then tell her to give you time to think about it.

In the end still allow her mother to come and stay for peace and unity

Kole werk.

1 Like

Re: Should I Allow My Mother-in-law In Our Home? I Need Advice by Dtruthspeaker: 6:51pm On Mar 29, 2023
EriMma1:
I would have told you to do what is in your mind but then, it wasn't the mother who offended you but your wife. Besides you had the choice to let your mother stay with you but you succumbed to her will and let her will prevail. So don't treat the old woman badly because of her daughters sins.

Forgive and let the old woman come. After all she would be the one to do all the care job, not you.

It's not him who is treating the mother badly, it is daughter who did.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (33) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Wife Caught Having Sex With Another Man, She Starves Husband Of Sex / How to Deal With a Wife That Nags a Lot / Cheating With Pride. Wife Explains Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.