Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka (37479 Views)

Why Presidency Always Respond To Atiku Statements But Choose To Ingnor Peter Obi / 2023: Why Presidency Should Return To Northern Nigeria – Fani-Kayode / El-Rufai: Why Presidency Should Return To South In 2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by adenigga(m): 1:15pm On Apr 04, 2023
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has advocated for the presidency to go to the southeast region to heal from the wounds of the civil war.
Speaking in an interview on Channels Television on Monday, Soyinka suggested that the presidency going to the southeast will help to “rewrite the history.”

He said: “It is not just about reconstruction, it is also about rewriting of history.

“We believe that to close the circle of negativity that we have embarked on before and during the civil war, I believe, the presidency, as soon as possible, should go towards the eastern region which lost a war.

“This is one of the ways to heal the wounds of the nation – that is a principle and philosophy.”

According to the playwright, none of the leading presidential candidates in the just-concluded polls provided a believable agenda for restructuring, hence, he did not endorse anyone.

Soyinka said: “In fact, one of the reasons I refused to endorse any candidate is because none of the candidates addressed the things closest to my heart, like again, reconstructing the nation.

“I did not see any genuine commitment, any believable agenda about restructuring, decentralization of Nigeria which is at the heart of the problem for me at the moment.

“People were more concerned with just aiming for power.”

Source: https:///Why-Presidency-Should-Go-To-The-Southeast-Wole-Soyinka

121 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by LegendHero(m): 1:20pm On Apr 04, 2023
Prof is a committed democrat who understood that in a democracy, you have to build the bridges and win a nationally contested election to be president.

Peter Obi the religious bigot believed he can win election with only Christian votes and he waged religious war polarizing pastors to use their sacred altar for propaganda. He even went all the way to tell Bishop Oyedepo what propaganda to push on a certain day especially when you know the Bishop got thousands or millions of adherents.

Even Tinubu who chose a Muslim-Muslim ticket still appeal to the Christians and had to go all the way to CAN headquarters to explain himself.

There might be an Ibo president in the future, but it won’t be Obi because he already killed his chances by himself. I tip Prof. Soludo in that regard.

243 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by shuttox: 1:20pm On Apr 04, 2023
Truth is bitter

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by Massiveglory: 1:21pm On Apr 04, 2023
LegendHero:
Prof is a committed democrat who understood that in a democracy, you have to build the bridges and win a nationally contested election to be president.

Peter Obi the religious bigot believed he can win election with only Christian votes and he waged religious war polarizing pastors to use altar for propaganda.

Even Tinubu who chose a Muslim-Muslim ticket still appeal to the Christians and had to go all the way to CAN headquarters to explain himself.

There might be an Ibo president in the future, but it won’t be Obi because he already killed his chances by himself. I tip Prof. Soludo in that regard.

I am suprised you did not insult the revered professor as you usually do to elders who speak truth. Keep this up.

As for presidency, get ready for a PODATTI presidency. It has only been delayed. It cannot be denied.
This year is the year of the unstoppable new Nigeria.
Yakubu select will give way for Nigeria elect.

355 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by Houseontherock1: 1:21pm On Apr 04, 2023
adenigga:

According to the playwright, none of the leading presidential candidates in the just-concluded polls provided a believable agenda for restructuring, hence, he did not endorse anyone.
True that! We were left to choose between 4 polithiefcians and we chose the better one. I hope SEasterners will learn to build rather than burn bridges in future

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by babzo(m): 1:22pm On Apr 04, 2023
Finally someone is talking some sense.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by SmartPolician: 1:31pm On Apr 04, 2023
This man should stop talking nonsense.

You didn't come out to campaign for a candidate from the East during elections, but you are here saying nonsense now that the elections are over.

PS: I didn't bother to read the piece of trash.

77 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by LegendHero(m): 1:32pm On Apr 04, 2023
Massiveglory:

I am suprised you did not insult the revered professor as you usually do to elders who speak truth.

As for presidency, get ready for a PODATTI presidency. It has only been delayed. It cannot be denied.
This year is the year of the unstoppable new Nigeria.

I will never insult Prof Wole Soyinka because he is a patriot.

He is from the Yoruba school of thought who believed we should concede to the Ibos to foster national unity. Prof. even had to dare death during the civil war to visit the East which led to his detention.

Bro, Peter Obi CANNOT be elected president in Nigeria, not now and not in 20years. His time is spent already, wake up to reality.

Online we do hear Yoruba Christian/Muslims from Ibo people who try creating the divide, we never knew it’s a direct assignment from Ibo leadership like Peter Obi. For him to strategically try to drive a wedge between SW christians/Muslims shows the kind of asinineee character he has.

One good thing I love is that people that share the mindset of Prof in the SW don’t have the power to effect anything. Anything they say is just for academic purpose and the school of thought that wield power in the West have a different approach to the Ibo question.

139 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 04, 2023
Interesting...
Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by Emperormartin(m): 1:49pm On Apr 04, 2023
Wole Soyinka: Presidency should go to the South East for the country to heal faster

Ahmed Tinubu: Leaves Whatsapp group* I don't want the country to heal

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by DMerciful(m): 1:50pm On Apr 04, 2023
Obi will be president! The reason you like Soludo now is because the generality of Igbos don't like him. If Igbos rally round Soludo in the future, you'll look for a fault why he should not be president. We know una
LegendHero:

Peter Obi the religious bigot believed he can win election with only Christian votes and he waged religious war polarizing pastors their to use altar for propaganda. He even went all the way to tell Bishop Oyedepo what propaganda to push on a certain day especially when you know the Bishop got thousands or millions of adherents.

98 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by MrBiGGEST(m): 2:06pm On Apr 04, 2023
Obi just draged the South East presidency backward.(with all the emotional politics)

No offense, but the southeast lacks political strategy.

Modified:
This is my Opinion, I may be Wrong .
But am not. lipsrsealed

EmmyCC:

No he didn't. In fact Obi is the reason there might be a President from the South east quicker.

He had a better chance with PDP

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 2:13pm On Apr 04, 2023
Houseontherock1:

True that! We were left to choose between 4 polithiefcians and we chose the better one. I hope SEasterners will learn to build rather than burn bridges in future
You mean the drug dealer was better

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by Racoon(m): 2:17pm On Apr 04, 2023
Soyinka is IPOB according to my brethren from the region of sophisticated politics.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by LegendHero(m): 2:18pm On Apr 04, 2023
DMerciful:
Obi will be president! The reason you like Soludo now is because the generality of Igbos don't like him. If Igbos rally round Soludo in the future, you'll look for a fault why he should not be president. We know una

No, the reason I personally like Soludo is because he is a friend of everybody and he is not infested with hate. If in the future, he also run a divisve campaign, the likeness will be erased.

Soludo just few days ago still invited LATSMA to Anambra to train Anambra agency who does the same functionality. Soludo always extend hand of friendship everywhere and even to the central government when he agreed to be part of the economic team.

Contrast his behavior to that of Peter Obi and you will understand why we will never like a divisive character like Peter Obi.

75 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by Officialmrt: 2:26pm On Apr 04, 2023
accordadoga26:
Wailers will continue to wail for the next 106 years.

2023-2031 - Southwest
2031 - 2039 - North
2039- 2047 - SouthSouth
2047-2055 - North
2055 - 2063 - Southwest
2063- 2071 - North
2071 - 2079 - SouthSouth
2079 - 2087 - North
2087- 2095 - Southwest
2095- 2103 - North
2103 - 2111 - SouthSouth
2111 - 2119 - North
2119-2127 - Southwest

Who no like am:
I swear u bust my brain with laugh grin

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by RockHard: 2:27pm On Apr 04, 2023
DMerciful:

Dey play. Same reason why Ibos' refused to vote for Olu Falae (who happened to be the choice of majority of yorubas and wasn't even a bigot like naanu) and voted Obasanjo instead, is why Peter was and will always be rejected by majority of Nigerians. Peter Obi was rejected in yorubaland (and the North) during the last presidential elections because we could see that he's a bigot, so he can never be president of Nigeria coz he lacks the requisite pan-Nigeria spread.

If an Iboman will be president, he must be one that most Nigerians would feel comfortable with, not a bigot like Peter Obi. So you people must come to terms with the fact that the rest of Nigeria will be the ones to decide the best Ibo to be president, not you bigots in the SE. Know that and know peace.

71 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by DMerciful(m): 2:33pm On Apr 04, 2023
He wasnt rejected, he won and it will be proven in court. When Obi finally retrieves his mandate, dont go start attacking Igbos in Lagos because it will happen
RockHard:

Dey play. Same reason why Ibos' refused to vote for Olu Falae (who happened to be the choice of majority of yorubas) and voted Obasanjo instead, is why Peter was and will always be rejected by majority of Nigerians. Peter Obi was rejected in yorubaland (and the North) during the last presidential elections because we could see that he's a bigot, so he can never be president of Nigeria coz he lacks the requisite pan-Nigeria spread. If an Iboman will be president, he must be one that most Nigerians would feel comfortable with, not a bigot like Peter Obi. So you people must come to terms with the fact that the rest of Nigeria will be the ones to decide the best Ibo to be president, not you bigots in the SE. Know that and know peace.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by RockHard: 2:35pm On Apr 04, 2023
DMerciful:
He wasnt rejected, he won and it will be proven in court. When Obi finally retrieves his mandate, dont go start attacking Igbos in Lagos because it will happen

Yimu. Good luck with your phantom mandate.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by DMerciful(m): 2:36pm On Apr 04, 2023
Obi is not divisive one bit. Obi will win the court case and eventually be sworn in. Obi has a divine mandate
LegendHero:

No, the reason I personally like Soludo is because he is a friend of everybody and he is not infested with hate. If in the future, he also run a divisve campaign, the likeness will be erased.

Soludo just few days ago still invited LATSMA to Anambra to train Anambra agency who does the same functionality. Soludo always extend hand of friendship everywhere and even to the central government when he agreed to be part of the economic team.

Contrast his behavior to that of Peter Obi and you will understand why we will never like a divisive character like Peter Obi.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by pedel: 2:37pm On Apr 04, 2023
Obi should have stayed in the PDP. He should have made consultations, and ensure Nyesom Wike dropped his ambition.
Greed won’t let the SE politicians do what is necessary to get power back to the east.
I don’t understand how a whole tribe will sleep and point heads in the same direction.
Power won’t go to the SE If they play the same type of politics in 2027.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by Goke7: 2:41pm On Apr 04, 2023
DMerciful:

why do most igbos seem to hate the igbos who seem to seek genuine friendship across the Niger? Soludo, Okorocha and so on. If you say people like Okrocha or Kalu are corrupt, is Soludo corrupt too?

Something is wrong somewhere mhen

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by LegendHero(m): 2:43pm On Apr 04, 2023
DMerciful:
Obi is not divisive one bit. Obi will win the court case and eventually be sworn in. Obi has a divine mandate

Obi is the most divisive politician of this era. Since 1999, no politician is as divisive as Peter Obi, not even Buhari is that openly divisive.

Man is a religious bigot who openly waged a religious war all in a bid to win the presidential election. Luckily for us, his supporters don’t have the electoral numbers to win an election.

The only person with the mandate is Tinubu. On his mandate, we’ve been standing since 1999.

Insha Allah by May, he will be sworn in as the next president of Nigeria and insurrectionists like Peter Obi will be put to shame.

63 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by DMerciful(m): 3:01pm On Apr 04, 2023
Lets see how the courts proceedings go. The end will justify the means
LegendHero:

Obi is the most divisive politician of this era. Since 1999, no politician is as divisive as Peter Obi, not even Buhari is that openly divisive.

Man is a religious bigot who openly waged a religious war all in a bid to win the presidential election. Luckily for us, his supporters don’t have the electoral numbers to win an election.

The only person with the mandate is Tinubu. On his mandate, we’ve been standing since 1999.

Insha Allah by May, he will be sworn in as the next president of Nigeria and insurrectionists like Peter Obi will be put to shame.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by DMerciful(m): 3:03pm On Apr 04, 2023
Soludo is selfish, he worked against the interest of the generality of Igbos because he wanted it to be him. He has got it coming. Dont mention Okorocha and Kalu, they're super corrupt!
Goke7:

why do most igbos seem to hate the igbos who seem to seek genuine friendship across the Niger? Soludo, Okorocha and so on. If you say people like Okrocha or Kalu are corrupt, is Soludo corrupt too?

Something is wrong somewhere mhen

9 Likes

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by DaTruths: 3:03pm On Apr 04, 2023
Presidency shouldn't go to SE because it's there turn.

It should go to them because they are innovative.

If igbos were in power, Nigeria would have been the biggest production country in Africa.

I've worked with many Nigerians, igbos operates on a different level and I give it to them.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by descartes400: 3:20pm On Apr 04, 2023
LegendHero:

I will never insult Prof Wole Soyinka because he is a patriot.

He is from the Yoruba school of thought who believed we should concede to the Ibos to foster national unity. Prof. even had to dare death during the civil war to visit the East which led to his detention.

Bro, Peter Obi CANNOT be elected president in Nigeria, not now and not in 20years. His time is spent already, wake up to reality.

Online we do hear Yoruba Christian/Muslims from Ibo people who try creating the divide, we never knew it’s a direct assignment from Ibo leadership like Peter Obi. For him to strategically try to drive a wedge between SW christians/Muslims shows the kind of asinineee character he has.

One good thing I love is that people that share the mindset of Prof in the SW don’t have the power to effect anything. Anything they say is just for academic purpose and the school of thought that wield power in the West have a different approach to the Ibo question.

well said on the bolded

7 Likes

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by Goke7: 3:23pm On Apr 04, 2023
DMerciful:
Soludo is selfish, he worked against the interest of the generality of Igbos because he wanted it to be him. He has got it coming. Dont mention Okorocha and Kalu, they're super corrupt!

and Obi is not selfish? Has his ambition not affected others too?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by DMerciful(m): 3:25pm On Apr 04, 2023
Has incompetent Bubu's performance affected other Northerners? Has Tinubu's drug case affected other Westerners?
Goke7:

and Obi is not selfish? Has his ambition not affected others too?

7 Likes

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by Landowner101(m): 3:42pm On Apr 04, 2023
DMerciful:
Never knew someone else understood this people than me. They will surely look for a fault in Soludo, if igbos rally round him.

16 Likes

Re: Why Presidency Should Go To The Southeast – Wole Soyinka by Landowner101(m): 3:51pm On Apr 04, 2023
pedel:
Obi should have stayed in the PDP. He should have made consultations, and ensure Nyesom Wike dropped his ambition.
Greed won’t let the SE politicians do what is necessary to get power back to the east.
I don’t understand how a whole tribe will sleep and point heads in the same direction.
Power won’t go to the SE If they play the same type of politics in 2027.
Should have stayed in pdp, so that they will keep zoning power away from south-east.
Him moving out of pdp was one of the best decision he made, as he wouldn't have been this popular if he was still in pdp, to point of shaking the ruling power and giving them sleepless nights.

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Mourns The Ooni Of Ife; Shares Photo With Him / "Buhari's Health Is Not As Bad As It Is Perceived" - Aisha Buhari / Which Nigerian State Can Surpass Lagos In Terms Of Development In The Future?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.