Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years (26010 Views)

Man Saved By Doctors From Impaled Handle Of A Sledgehammer In Imo (Graphic Photo / Buhari Signs White Paper That Bars Public Doctors From Owning Private Hospitals / Salaries Of Medical Doctors In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years by aestake: 6:56am On Apr 08, 2023
GUNITGuy:

It seems you don't know Govt sha get ready to pay bribes to do this..........There's a way to make it compulsory and ensure implementation once the bill gets to be passed to law .....
This is also happening in Carribean countries you are trained on loan and you would pay back including the US and UK that most of you are going it's loan but in naija your school fees from 100level to 600level can't pay a single Consultant anually yet you're complaining..... Nigeria won't be an exception and springboard or training grounds for using tax payers money raised in Nigeria for Western hospital that never invested in them to the detriment of the country there's definitely going to be regulations coming very soon ....
Let them make 24/7 electricity compulsory. No way for that one! Na you and politicians go study that medicine.
Re: Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years by Volksfuhrer(m): 8:08am On Apr 08, 2023
omohayek:

While I'm sure that is the intended effect, I doubt it will work out like that in practice.

For one thing, it will accelerate the departure of all the doctors who already in the pipeline and will be qualified before the bill passes.

The next factor to consider is that many medical students will still have the means and opportunity to proceed abroad to wealthy countries where they can train and qualify, except now they can simply rule out ever returning to Nigeria. The bill therefore shrinks the pool of possible medical practitioners, particularly in fields where the necessary expertise can only be acquired abroad. How many world-class surgeons from places like America's Mayo Clinic are going to leave behind their cushy careers to work as mere trainees in Nigeria, no matter how much they might wish to return home?

The final thing to note is the impact this will have on the number of students who will opt for medicine in the future. Anyone intelligent enough to consider medicine is also smart enough to realize that to the extent this bill actually works, it makes becoming a doctor a much less attractive prospect, and they'd be better off switching to fields where no such restrictions are in place, and qualifications are equally portable (e.g. computer science or engineering).

This is just another example of ignorant Nigerian politicians passing populist legislation that restricts trade, not caring about the inevitable consequences which will result. This mentality is why a petroleum-exporting country has no working refineries and suffers perennial fuel shortages, and it is why power supply has languished at the same capacity for decades even as brand-new power-generating stations lie idle. Passing laws restricting the options of private citizens has never worked to increase the availability of any goods or services, whether we're talking food price controls or restraints on newly qualified doctors.

The right way to get Nigerian doctors to stick around is to make medical practice in Nigeria more attractive, by devoting more financial resources to health (and to primary care in particular), but Nigerians are so blinded by the "awuff" mentality that they would rather pass useless, economy-distorting restrictions rather than actually paying what the market demands for what they want, never mind decades of failure going down this route.

Excellent analysis. Well done.

Many of these Legislators are obviously very dull and without foresight. They want to resolve a critical issue by legislating slavery and injustice! Is this not discriminatory and therefore unconstitutional? Don't they realize the long run counterproductive effects of this exercise? Do these guys ever think things through at all?

1 Like

Re: Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years by don3e(m): 2:20pm On Apr 08, 2023
These are people elected to be Public Servants, Servant ooooo at any levels of governance and one of their duty is to ensure Workable Hospital in the Country.
Just check in any Hospital, you will cry for the country. Hospital lack basis facilities not to talk about health workers pays, very bad.
Is no news that most if not all of our elected leaders in governance don't use our health facilities but travels abroad for health care. It is painful, with pains in my heart with God willing, let them be punished as they (Government) goes outside this country for health care. The painful thing is that it is people/ state money that they would had used for upgrading our hospital with necessary facilities and payment of health worker are used for their own personal needs.
Re: Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years by autosavvy: 8:27pm On Apr 08, 2023
. . .and what is wrong with sponsoring a bill mandating every state government to set up no less than 2 state-of-the-art medical facilities in each state of the federation while the FG sets up 3 in the FCT? undecided
Re: Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years by armadeo(m): 1:38pm On Apr 10, 2023
Georgejeez:
I support this bill with my full chest .
To whom much is given , much is expected , it's Medical fraud for you to study Medicine on tax payers money for 7 to 8 years , then when it's time to return the favour , you run away to abroad and also rub it on the faces of the upcoming ones to also toe the same line .

If you know and you know that you know that the bill is against your freedom of choice and tantamount to slavery etc , then don't bother to study Medicine in our Public Universities . Better go and study Bio Chem or SLT , if you must study Med , then go to Ghana and other African countries to do that .

But if you want to study Medicine here , you must do that 5 years after your graduation or else declared wanted if you japa before the expiration of 5 years ..

Nonsense and Doctors, selfish and self centered lots , enemies of the State.

I assume you went to a Nigerian University. How many years do you suggest your course should study before being able to leave for "greener pastures".
Re: Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years by DOptical: 4:07pm On Apr 10, 2023
The bills is nonsense.

They must match the wage of their abroad counterparts first. Also, what if such person wants to travel abroad for further studies?
Re: Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years by LegitWebsites: 9:52pm On Apr 15, 2023
GUNITGuy:

I keep wondering why this people complain .... nothing is ever enough ....if they hear they're paying Doctors better in Mars
They would japa from US especially Nigerian ones

Lol cheesy
Re: Bill To Prevent Medical Doctors From Getting Licence Till After 5 Years by LegitWebsites: 9:56pm On Apr 15, 2023
GUNITGuy:
That bill is in the right direction....I schooled abroad then I Know NIGERIAN TRAINED DOCTORS OWE THAT COUNTRY ALOT.....Mehn training a Doctor in the US cost over 300,000US dollars to almost 800000
It's not a joke at all and the Government doesn't offer scholarship it's paid through loan you would return in the course of your Career
But in Nigeria you just Japa to earn the same amount people who are trained on loan .....
I know this would surely come someday.......a regulation is still coming to control this move even by World Health Organization......
They were against Western countries poaching Drs from poor countries like Pakistan and India during Covid then Nigeria, Ghana at the height of the pandemic leaving this country at the Mercy of their own fate
nice information

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How Do I Make My Hair Curly And Beautiful? / Teenage Boy Drowns In Ogun Hotel Swimming Pool On Christmas Day / Twitter User Shades Nigeria Over "World Class" Palestinian Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.