Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,954 members, 7,817,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria (39663 Views)

Is Owerri The Most Beautiful City In Nigeria Apart From Lagos & Abuja? / Best Country To Relocate With My Family Apart From Canada / Nigerian Man Shouts At US Airline Hostess "Do You Think I Am Your Mate?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by Exline101: 2:54pm On Apr 20, 2023
Tadadobe:

Don't mind the guy

Where do they pay taxes in Nigeria? Who pay taxes in Nigeria? Usually in the US, you see taxes you pay on everything you buy. Even if you buy a $1 tomato at Walmart, you'll see the tax added to your receipt.
.if you earn $CAD50k in Canada, $CAD18K will probably go to taxes. Is this how it is in Naija?

I believe that if nigerian don't get everything for free but rather spend the way they spend in abroad, Nigeria go better.

With the exception of those working federal, State, local government and some private organization, who are the ones paying taxes in Nigeria? Nigerians don't even pay for electricity. Lol

Who pays taxes in a country where there is no job opportunities, no good healthcare and no good infrastructure lol

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by Wenonawde(m): 2:55pm On Apr 20, 2023
If you are making up to 1.5 - 2million in a month I see no reason to japa

5 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by ahnie: 2:57pm On Apr 20, 2023
advanceDNA:
Sębí u just marry dey collect unlimited penís ...and u nor dey too worry about rent and bills again....

how hustle mode wan take dey ur mind...

Pple wey dey jappa dey go find money and hope for better life for their kids....u will soon get there
You pokenose into people's affairs too much.honestly if you are a wixard eeh,e go hard to deliver you.

You re always bitter.
Xukwanike make your mama prayers work for your life

4 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by kunkelhanspeter(m): 3:00pm On Apr 20, 2023
I have the resources to travel to any country of my choice whenever I want but I keep asking myself what am I going there to do now am 32?
When will I start up my own family?
Send my children one of the best schools in the city or town I am living because I know Nigerians abroad don’t send their kids to best school just normal community school over there . Each time I think of that menh traveling will just weak me. I put visa 2016 after paying 150k to the agent I gave up my friend we did the same is in Turkey now no ne difference sha.
Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by fastseo: 3:02pm On Apr 20, 2023
Tadadobe:

Don't mind the guy

Where do they pay taxes in Nigeria? Who pay taxes in Nigeria? Usually in the US, you see taxes you pay on everything you buy. Even if you buy a $1 tomato at Walmart, you'll see the tax added to your receipt.
.if you earn $CAD50k in Canada, $CAD18K will probably go to taxes. Is this how it is in Naija?

I believe that if nigerian don't get everything for free but rather spend the way they spend in abroad, Nigeria go better.

With the exception of those working federal, State, local government and some private organization, who are the ones paying taxes in Nigeria? Nigerians don't even pay for electricity. Lol

go to alaba international mrkt and various mrkt in Nigeria. even street stores and ask them if they pay levies.

When I was In abia state stores are meant to pay anything from 20,000 to 35,000 per year... this money comes in form of sanitation, security, local government lavy etc . like in ariaria mrkt that has over 5000 stores check this amount. not to talk of various markets.

now the bread u eat u pay tax, the pure water u eat u pay tax. but all this taxes are called indirect taxes because the producers add it to expenses and pass it to final consumer.

The transport like keke, buses etc u pay tax. the tax is the daily ticket of 50 or 20 naira. this keke men pass it to u that board their keke.

now those that work in government, state and private firm also pay tex... direct tax.

any business u open in Nigeria unless inside ur room customer comes to buy... u will pay some kind of lavy. all are taxes.

in fact Nigerian government earn majorly from taxes.... taxes makes over 70% of their revenue and that is why we must hold them accountable.

11 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 20, 2023
Wait until you have need for an emergency care, a heart attack or a stroke or need for a quick surgery. Until you have a sickness other than malaria or typhoid. Wait for Nigeria doctors to experiment with your life.

My late mother was prepped for an emergency surgery at the Federal Medical Centre in Abeokuta and the power supply went off. She was basically killed at the hospital by quack doctors and faulty systems.

Nigeria where life has no value. I lived in Nigeria the first 30 years of my life so don't patronize me with fantastic stories of Nigeria.

Nigeria where people go to churches to give testimonies about Cambodia visitor's visa applications success. A place i cannot comfortably travel from Lagos to Ibadan without being afraid of kidnap. A country that has nothing for the youths and most are forced into a life of cultism and cyber crime.

Where kidnap victims from Kaduna train are still being held captives after one year and nobody is bothered.

I have families of Nigerian federal senators, established medical doctors and very rich people in Nigeria who are very desperate to japa from Nigeria and who call me every single day for help. As an Immigration Consultant, I have a client with 50million Naira savings in the account who once cried on the phone when his visa was refused and we had to go on an appeal.

Most of these people who say they cant live abroad are simply not qualified to live abroad. Travelling as a visitor means very little.

Even as we speak, the president elect don japa for treatment.

The day you have a need for an emergency care in Nigeria. You go die like a chicken. When i think of living in Nigeria, i think of hell on earth!

I do not care what people say on Nairaland or social media , i trust my own life experiences.

I can only visit Nigeria but never to live again.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by lexy2014: 3:03pm On Apr 20, 2023
Tadadobe:

Don't mind the guy

So "if nigerian don't get everything for free but rather spend the way they spend in abroad, Nigeria go better". Oh wow....that's interesting.

So you mean everything in Nigeria is free right? That's wonderful. Where did you get that information?

So nobody pays taxes in Nigeria? Really? Am just knowing this for the first time. Do you work with Inland Revenue office or national bureau of statistics?

6 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by donproject2(m): 3:04pm On Apr 20, 2023
studyless123:

Chairman, I used to see you in programming section that year. But it's like you just on travel matters. grin

Do you know who can teach me Javascript on a one to one?

Dm
Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by meedoLock(m): 3:06pm On Apr 20, 2023
As much as I will like to tour some countries, I couldn't see my self in all these nation's with intensive cold/harsh weather cos I'm allergic to it. My close pal is now in almost 2 years in uk now. I do pity him whenever we had a video chat, how inconvenient the weather is.

And to cap it all, you can't conveniently eat all these naija food as we do here. Everything is stock and stock and stock. To buy small fufu, you have to visit the store like a super market. U hardly have a leisure time as we do here. Just like a "jack of all trades" abegi 🙄 Africa is blessed mehn! We are only plagued with bad leaders which amounts to the underdevelopment. Aside from that, I don't see anything enticing in these Oyinbo city jare undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by 43Ronin: 3:09pm On Apr 20, 2023
Tadadobe:

Don't mind the guy

what makes Lagos have the highest IGR in the country even though its not oil producing?.Do you know working class people pay 20% tax and some banks even pay 30% in PAYE. do you know biz in lagos pay tax? the woman selling agbado on the road is paying tax for that spot she secured. some restaurants charge you WHT after purchases and banks also take WHT on fixed deposits or Interests accrued in their customers account. please leave nairaland and go find job or go to school. was it not NURTW that went on strike sometime because they were protesting the various taxes and levies they pay just to transport goods from the north to the south. Even recently in Lagos did bus drivers not protest against the hike in their levies/taxes to LASG through Mc oluomo?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by Ferdinandu(m): 3:09pm On Apr 20, 2023
Lamanii22:
I think I’m the only one who doesn’t want to leave Nigeria lol, if everyone is talking about japa in my mind I would be like what are these ones saying 😏… I don’t even include it in my prayer points.

Other countries are fascinating as such but I don’t see myself residing there… I love Nigeria too much.

You are not alone. If they tell people I'm never interested in moving abroad they always think I am lying or that maybe because I don't have the opportunity.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by SLOVFO(m): 3:10pm On Apr 20, 2023
Lamanii22:
I think I’m the only one who doesn’t want to leave Nigeria lol, if everyone is talking about japa in my mind I would be like what are these ones saying 😏… I don’t even include it in my prayer points.

Other countries are fascinating as such but I don’t see myself residing there… I love Nigeria too much.

You don't love Nigeria... you are only comfortable in Nigeria. If those things that makes Nigeria a "comfort zone" to you are removed, you will understand why people desperately want to leave Nigeria for other climes.

7 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by Faposky95: 3:11pm On Apr 20, 2023
Ever thought why it's called your country....?!
Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by advanceDNA: 3:11pm On Apr 20, 2023
ahnie:

You pokenose into people's affairs too much.honestly if you are s wixard eeh,e go hard to deliver you.

You re always bitter.
Xukwanike make your mama prayers work for your life

.na u dem send come...?? grin
Tell dem say make we block for astra. nairaland fight na just dust...That my mama wey you refer to...una go jam am too..shebi na witchcraft you chop??
Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by mordred44: 3:18pm On Apr 20, 2023
Lamanii22:

Other countries are fascinating as such but I don’t see myself residing there… I love Nigeria too much.......e b like sey ur pman na politician......d moni fit make dey anywhere....e dey sweet

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by Ferdinandu(m): 3:19pm On Apr 20, 2023
ednut1:
personal income tax for workers in Nigeria is about 20 to 25%. People selling in the market or shops pay daily levy, monthly or annual levy to local govt. agbero fees is also tax. Factored into the cost of the tfare. You bring food from north with truck you pay various levies and taxes on the road. The woman hawking pure water , keke driver, etc pay taxes daily. The guy selling meat, electrician, welder etc pay members levy. If dem born you well no pay if you wont chop beating.

You are into business some contracts require your tax clearance, many also do withholding tax on contract amount. If you buy food in mr Biggs you will see VAT on the receipt. The difference is taxes are collected informally here. MR Tinubu and his alpha beta will regularize them just wait and see.

With all the taxes what is the common man benefiting Mc oluomo for example is using agbero fees to train his kids abroad and also sleep with Hollywood actresses. The last time i was in Nigeria the car i drove got damage and battered as road no good even in front of a LGA secretariat road was bad.

Alot of people are not paying taxes abroad too. They incorporate a company and charge expenses to it and pay little or no tax.
No matter how you calculate it people hardly part with more than 10% of their income as tax here in Nigeria except those in the formal sector. That is why people will gladly give 10% to pastors in the name of tithe. Had it been that people spend as much as 25 to 35% of their income on taxes as it is done abroad, you will slap any pastor who tell you to bring 10% of your income

6 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by kay29000(m): 3:21pm On Apr 20, 2023
Lamanii22:

You're not alone. I think that way too...virtually all the friends, cousins, siblings i grew up with have relocated...but it's not one of my dreams at all.

4 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 3:22pm On Apr 20, 2023
Lamanii22:

so many people with this mindsets tho ... just pray ,work hard and smart legitimately,take good care of your physical, mental and most especially spiritual life....You can be successful anywhere

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by mariahAngel(f): 3:23pm On Apr 20, 2023
Tadadobe:

Nigerians don't pay for electricity? 😲
Seriously, dude?

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by tmtech: 3:27pm On Apr 20, 2023
Ferdinandu:
No matter how you calculate it people hardly part with more than 10% of their income as tax here in Nigeria except those in the formal sector. That is why people will gladly give 10% to pastors in the name of tithe. Had it been that people spend as much as 25 to 35% of their income on taxes as it is done abroad, you will slap any pastor who tell you to bring 10% of your income

People in formal sector donate their first salary every January in some churches in Nigeria.

Until you truly explore and see how much people pay as TAX daily and monthly in Nigeria, you will never believe many Nigerians pay tax.

Many states in Nigeria basically overtax the people to generate IGR.

3 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by kunkelhanspeter(m): 3:27pm On Apr 20, 2023
ednut1:
you pay taxes in Nigeria. Do you have access to quality healthcare, roads or services The leaders and elite of Nigeria go abroad for healthcare , their kids have dual passports or live abroad. You the common man dey console himself 🤣🤣
You think good life is for everyone?
You think people in USA don’t complain about the poor healthcare over there and how it’s expensive without Insurance to get good health care?
You think people over there don’t travel abroad to get good medication?
You guys are just blind .

6 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by kay29000(m): 3:28pm On Apr 20, 2023
benzion72:
If all European and American have ran away from thier challenges instead of facing it and solving their problem where will African be running to.
Most of the challenges we have now they have had them and overcome them. Is it bad leadership they have thier share from monarch to democracy. Is it poverty it is their language they still have it a lot.
If you read a lot and you read economic, history and philosophy and probably sociology you won't see much difference in Nations. Read Self Reliance by Ralph Waldo Emerson you won't fancy traveling

God bless you for this comment.

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by kunkelhanspeter(m): 3:29pm On Apr 20, 2023
Tadadobe:

I can see you don’t go shopping in a big supermarket or mall or even eatery’s because if you so you will see tax on your receipt 🧾.

2 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by kophy(m): 3:30pm On Apr 20, 2023
Lamanii22:

God bless you for this your decision,very few people know what are the underlying positive and negative consequences of their "JAPAISM"
I do tell few who care to listen to travel to Ghana or Togo Republic. After that they will thank God for what he has done for us here in Nigeria, though there may be some little problems here and there and mostly about the leadership. But I hope and sincerely this incoming Asiwaju government will change things for better. And that is my strong belief anyway, other people might want to crucify me for that, but it is my opinion, and I have the right to it.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by Litmus: 3:32pm On Apr 20, 2023
Internet and information revolution that is enabling remote working; social media platforms linking the world by various media; virtual reality and now Ai means that even people in the remotest third world nation are no longer isolated. This means if you're living in Nigeria you're no longer missing much if you don't move abroad. It means those that have travelled abroad can no longer look down on you. They are no longer that Special. All you need to live a happy life in Nigeria now is sustainable livelihood.

Given the advancements mentioned above, today, I would quite happily live in Nigeria and not dream of Abroad. If I had the money and could travel the world to learn of other cultures first hand, I would but it would no longer be informed by a desperate do-or die hunger.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by Goldbw122(m): 3:33pm On Apr 20, 2023
Lamanii22:

There is a lot of vibes in Nigeria..

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by linearity: 3:33pm On Apr 20, 2023
Tadadobe:

Most states and Counties in the USA, like 60% do not tax food items, especially when you buy them in superstores like Walmart, ShopRite, etc…., so your tomatoes reference is mostly incorrect relative to the USA.

But in Nigeria, walk into ShopRite and buy that same tomatoes, your taxes is backed in, walk into the market and buy that same tomatoes, the woman selling it pay daily, weekly and monthly levies, fees and assessments and they pass those on to you by backing it into the price of the tomatoes.

5 Likes

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by kunkelhanspeter(m): 3:34pm On Apr 20, 2023
Treadway:
This is tax avoidance, it is completely legal (but I'm sure you know that), and any good businessman knows and does that😎
I guess for USA President don’t have clue about what you are talking Trump with his tax case in court.
Billionaire do everything to avoid tax that why they have what they call tax heaven where you don’t pay tax or little to nothing .

1 Like

Re: I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria by banku: 3:34pm On Apr 20, 2023
It doesn't make a difference how many times you tell people Nigeria and Africa in general is a better place to stay than all the glamor abroad.

In the first place, the glamor and privileges are for their own people not for hustlers like you. The only thing they see in you is hard labor to fire their economy and take care of their aging population.

The sarcastic excuse is that you are going abroad and ready to pay the price for the sake of your children. A good culture we grow up with in Africa. But outside Africa, you might as well throw those children away! They are no longer yours and you have lost them.

What we have in Nigeria is private extortion by gangsters not taxes. These are political cronies and reverse Robin Hoods that steal coal to Newcastle. What they spend in a month for necessities and bills abroad can take care of a year's bills in Nigeria.

The same is true of liars fooling you that they make average salaries and live like a king. They are not even loved and the best of them barely tolerated. They are so lonely, their mouths smell because they have nobody to talk to or play with. So when they get to their houses, some take it out on their spouses and children.

Until we learn how to tackle AKOTILETA, japa crowd are only compounding our problems at home. The agents making money off them are not different from African chiefs selling their people into slavery in exchange for Ogogoro.

How do others live abroad? Suffering and smiling.

4 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Co-Pilot Storms Out Of Cockpit After He Had An Argument With Pilot (Pics, Video) / Any Nigerian In Czech Republic? / Happie Boys To Be Deported From Cyprus Within 30 Days - Leaked Chat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.