Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,693 members, 7,813,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? (6147 Views)

My Argument For God's Existence. / My Argument For God's Existence / Is It Only Africans That Believe In The Existence Of Ghosts And Witches? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:17am On May 12, 2023
Wilgrea7:
Hello again

Like I said earlier, morality is a very complex subject. And I'm not saying this to sound dodgy. It really is a complex thing.

Coming to subjective and objective morality. You're still yet to prove the existence of objective moral laws. To do this, you will need to first prove the existence of your specific deity, and then prove that said deity did in fact create the world, before making a case for any sort of objective moral laws from it.

I never said there wasn't a cause. I don't know where you got that idea from. I feel like I've said this before. Evolution describes how organisms change over time in response to their environment. It makes no claims about the origin of life.

Evolution describes a process, not an origin. I hope I've made it clear to you now.

Pray tell, how did you arrive at the cause of the universe, and how does it confirm what the "bible" says? And what does that phrase even mean?

I'm confused. Since when did we start doubting the existence of the universe. I think I know what's going on here.

You seem to have the idea that there's this conflict between the theory of evolution, and the idea of a creator. I don't necessarily see this conflict. Evolution doesn't necessarily negate a creator (although it doesn't affirm it either). What evolution does negate, is the idea that creation happened as described in the biblical narratives.

Unfortunately, the evidence seems to point in favor of the former, as opposed to the latter. The biblical creation narrative isn't the only way life could have formed. I know it's a tough pill for you to swallow, but it is the reality.

A creator/creators, if it/they exist, could have chosen for life to develop through a myriad of ways, of which evolution happens to be one of them, and the one which we have observed taking place.

The choices and pathways a creator/creators could take is not exclusive to christianity. I feel like this should be obvious by now.

There are only three possibilities from where the universe can come from and by way of elimination we will arrive at the scientific evidence of the origin of the universe which confirms the Bible.

(1). The universe created itself; or

(2). The universe has always existed, or

(3). The universe was created.

1. The universe created itself:

Can something create itself? Can nothing create something? The answer to these is an absolute No. We all know that something cannot create itself and nothing can't create something. From Latin we have the phrase "ex nihilo, nihil fit" meaning "from nothing, nothing comes." It also violates the law of cause and effect, that says for every effect there must be a cause. The effect can't be greater than the cause and nothing cannot be greater than something. Therefore, based on the laws of science and logic, the universe couldn't have created itself. That leaves us with options 2 and 3.

2. The univese has always existed:

Lets go to the 2nd law of thermodynamics that basically teaches that "the whole universe is losing usable energy for doing usable work." This means that the usable energy in this universe is wearing down. The universe as a whole is losing energy. In other words, molecules as a whole are slowing down.

Therefore, if this universe was eternal we will be in what is called a "virtual heat death." This means that there will be virtually no molecular movement. Everything would have lost its available heat energy for doing work. Therefore, the universe cannot be eternal, it must have had a beginning. The theory that the universe has always existed or is eternal has to be false based on the law of science and logic, another speculation gone with the air. This leaves us with only one possibility based on science. Which is that:

3. The universe was created:

"In the Beginning God created the heaven and the earth." -- Genesis 1:1 Simples. wink
Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by Maynman: 12:49am On May 12, 2023
OLAADEGBU:

"In the Beginning God created the heaven and the earth." -- Genesis 1:1 Simples. wink
Heaven and earth now means Universe?
Your verse said heaven(sky) and earth, they were specific about the planet your deity created, illiterate people that wrote the books you are basing your life thought earth was the only planet.

How does heaven and only earth suddenly translate to the whole universe?
Are you saying the universe is 6000 years old?
Cc wilgrea7

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:34am On May 12, 2023
Maynman:

Heaven and earth now means Universe?
Your verse said heaven(sky) and earth, they were specific about the planet your deity created, illiterate people that wrote the books you are basing your life thought earth was the only planet.

Cc wilgrea7

God Created The Heavens And The Earth

Ray Comfort

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by Maynman: 8:47am On May 12, 2023
OLAADEGBU:

God Created The Heavens And The Earth

Ray Comfort

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:50am On May 12, 2023
Maynman:

Go find out what the heavens mean and give us feedback on your findings. cool

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by Maynman: 8:51am On May 12, 2023
The definition of universe is now heaven and earth, you see how religion is making you to be dumber?

OLAADEGBU:

Go find out what the heavens mean and give us feedback on your findings. cool

“Heaven and earth”, are you saying other planets are called heaven? Can we call neptune and saturn heaven?
And there is only one planet and it’s earth?

Is the universe 6000 years old?
You are confused grin
Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:56am On May 12, 2023
Maynman:

“Heaven and earth”, are you saying other planets are called heaven? Can we call neptune and saturn heaven?
And there is only one planet and it’s earth?

Is the universe 6000 years old?
You are confused grin

Classical case of the Strawman fallacy.

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by Maynman: 8:57am On May 12, 2023
OLAADEGBU:

Classical case of the Strawman fallacy.
You lack what “Strawman fallacy” means, learn what it means so you can use it correctly next time.

Is there only one planet in the universe and the rest are called “heaven”?
Are you saying heaven is 6000 years old?
You’re confused!

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by Wilgrea7(m): 3:39am On May 15, 2023
OLAADEGBU:

There are only three possibilities from where the universe can come from and by way of elimination we will arrive at the scientific evidence of the origin of the universe which confirms the Bible.

(1). The universe created itself; or

I've never made this claim. It seems quite illogical for something to "create itself from nothing".. true nothing.

(2). The universe has always existed, or

While a case could be made for this, for the sake of keeping this discussion simple, I'll agree with you here.

(3). The universe was created.

You've not provided any proof. Even if i were to agree with you that the universe was caused my something, you've not shown that that something is indeed a singular thing, talkless of it being what you'll call a "god", before you talk about it being the specific "god" you're preaching.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:07am On May 15, 2023
Wilgrea7:

I've never made this claim. It seems quite illogical for something to "create itself from nothing".. true nothing.

While a case could be made for this, for the sake of keeping this discussion simple, I'll agree with you here.

You've not provided any proof. Even if i were to agree with you that the universe was caused my something, you've not shown that that something is indeed a singular thing, talkless of it being what you'll call a "god", before you talk about it being the specific "god" you're preaching.

I've already supplied the evidence here. All you need to do is to decipher it with your God given physical senses. wink

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by Wilgrea7(m): 8:40pm On May 16, 2023
OLAADEGBU:

I've already supplied the evidence here. All you need to do is to decipher it with your God given physical senses. wink

Okay... Let's take a look at it then.

OLAADEGBU:

With my limited knowledge and my physical senses I have the evidence of God's existence as I have said earlier. When I look at a building, how do I know that there was a builder? I couldn't want a better evidence that there was a builder than to have the building in front of me. I don't even need faith to know that there was a builder. All I need are eyes that can see and a brain that can think.

This analogy doesn't really work in your favor here. Let me explain.

When you see a building, you can tell it was built. That's about it. Seeing a building tells you nothing about who built it, or how many people built it.

Likewise the universe. It barely tells you anything about the nature of it's cause, apart from the fact that it was caused. Although that idea can be argued against, like i said, I'll agree with you on that one for now.

The same principle applies to the existence of God. When I look at creation, how can I know that there was a Creator? Creation reveals to me that there is a Creator. I couldn't want a better evidence that there is a Creator than to have the creation in front of me. I don't need faith to believe in a Creator, all I need are eyes that can see and a brain that can think.

I'll give you a simple analogy. You see a building and probably assume that tons or hundreds of people worked together to build it. Not just one person.

What part of the universe gives you the impression that it was made by A creator and not a multitude of them?

What part of the universe tells you anything remotely useful about the nature of this said cause?

But if I want the builder to do something for me, then I need to have faith in the builder. Likewise God, for

"Without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him" (Hebrews 11:6).

If you need to know more about God you need faith based on His Word and World.

From your statements.. the alleged builder is

Male
Singular
A speaker of some sort
Somewhat interested in rewarding you

How did you arrive at these attributes? What part of your observation of the universe revealed this to you?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:20am On May 21, 2023
Wilgrea7:

Okay... Let's take a look at it then.

This analogy doesn't really work in your favor here. Let me explain.

When you see a building, you can tell it was built. That's about it. Seeing a building tells you nothing about who built it, or how many people built it.

Likewise the universe. It barely tells you anything about the nature of it's cause, apart from the fact that it was caused. Although that idea can be argued against, like i said, I'll agree with you on that one for now.

At least you agree that there was a builder. wink

Wilgrea7:

I'll give you a simple analogy. You see a building and probably assume that tons or hundreds of people worked together to build it. Not just one person.

What part of the universe gives you the impression that it was made by A creator and not a multitude of them?

What part of the universe tells you anything remotely useful about the nature of this said cause?

Do you agree that intelligence is behind this creation, albeit, Intelligent design?

Wilgrea7:

From your statements.. the alleged builder is

Male
Singular
A speaker of some sort
Somewhat interested in rewarding you

How did you arrive at these attributes? What part of your observation of the universe revealed this to you?

If you want to know more about this Intelligent Designer you will need the use of your 6th sense, faith. wink
Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:17pm On May 21, 2023

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:13pm On Jul 06, 2023
Adam or ape in your past?

Re: What Is The Best Argument For The Existence Of God? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:14am On Aug 03, 2023
Discover The Colour That Brings True Hope

— with Dan Lietha - Cartoonist/Illustrator.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

There Will Be No Rapture And Jesus Is Not Coming Back! -former Pastor Dr Ray / Why Do Nigerians/Africans Believe In Christianity/Muslim Crap? / Rccg Sunday School Manual (2016/2017 Edition) Sun. 09/10/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.