Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,537 members, 7,837,067 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (223629 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 11:22am On Aug 31, 2012
-

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by yemmyma: 12:34pm On Aug 31, 2012
BlueDiva:

It's you again.
Does your job schedule now involve following a diva around?

tongue
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by shakur4luv(m): 12:37pm On Aug 31, 2012
guys abeg i get o'level
anybody can help with job at total oil and gas pls
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 12:37pm On Aug 31, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Ahem.
They read this thread and joined Total? Or is it the other way round?
How did the info help them exactly? We wanna know undecided

It possibly helped them to open fatter bank accounts ready to receive the millions from Total. grin

BlueDiva: ^^^
bluediva@total.com.ng cool

Delivery failure ma. . . .any other address available?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 3:42pm On Aug 31, 2012
BlueDiva:

Maybe if i irritate you long enough you would go out and get a real job.
It's embarrassing to see a grown man like you 24hrs on a particular thread fantasizing about someone else's job. wink

FYI I work for one of the multinational oil and gas companies and I'm based in Europe so I am not in the class you think I belong to.
You seems to be frustrated from your posts and I think its better you find something better to do with your life than hating people here.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 4:19pm On Aug 31, 2012
2good:

FYI I work for one of the multinational oil and gas companies and I'm based in Europe so I am not in the class you think I belong to.
You seems to be frustrated from your posts and I think its better you find something better to do with your life than hating people here.

Bros, this is unnecessary.
BlueDiva actually works for an oil company.
Plus, I think most of you misunderstood her. She's not trying to rain on anybody's parade. She only queried the reason for a parade in the first place. Which i understand perfectly. She's a HR person. Why would a staff of Total come on this thread and declare the company's remuneration to the general public? If you were a staff of Total, disclosing your package details on a public Internet forum is most likely a breach of your employment contract and you could be fired.

And how come the singular thing about Total that is discussed on this thread is their salary?

Is it just me (and maybe BlueDiva), or is there something seriously wrong with Nigerians?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 31, 2012
^^^
its all about the benjamins baby
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 4:39pm On Aug 31, 2012
^^ I don't think there's anything wrong.

Nigerians don't want to work in Total because they want to drill wells, design production facilities or sign production sharing agreements. The attraction is solely down to the money.

What else do you expect people to discuss? When there's a 1:100,000 chance of getting into the job, the content of the job per se isn't the key, it's getting a job in the first place.

If we were in a situation where folk could choose between say investment banking, oil and gas and telecommunications, manufacturing, consulting etc. with a reasonable chance of getting into any of them, then maybe people would be more interested in discussing job type, job satisfaction, etc.

It's quite easy to question people's motives from a comfortable vantage point, but the desperation of the overall situation is what drives many to focus just on money.

10 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 31, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Plus, I think most of you misunderstood her. She's not trying to rain on anybody's parade. She only queried the reason for a parade in the first place. Which i understand perfectly. She's a HR person. Why would a staff of Total come on this thread and declare the company's remuneration to the general public? If you were a staff of Total, disclosing your package details on a public Internet forum is most likely a breach of your employment contract and you could be fired.

And how come the singular thing about Total that is discussed on this thread is their salary?

Is it just me (and maybe BlueDiva), or is there something seriously wrong with Nigerians?

She works for an oil company? Makes sense now. It's okay to for work for an oil company and yet deride others for wanting to do the same ?! People choose their careers for all sorts of reasons, some are very happy to get all the money they can while others are perfectly happy for a reward in heaven. Each to his own abeg!

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 4:50pm On Aug 31, 2012
debosky:
It's quite easy to question people's motives from a comfortable vantage point

What exactly is this 'comfortable vantage point'?
I no de work for oil company. And I'm not likely to work in one any time soon. And that's not because I have collected my share of subsidy. My waka no just pass that way, no matter the desire for 'Total Millions'.

It's good you also referred to the 1:100,000 ratio. So what happens when the 99k others don't get into Total?
There are actually those other jobs you mentioned in Nigeria as well (as well as outside Nigeria). Banking, consulting, IT, whatever. They may not pay as well as Total is touted to. But they're decent jobs. We should encourage people to do well in school and strive for a good career. I'm not sure how productive it is, or what good is done by doing a collective 'Ultimate Wonder' (apologies to MTN) on Total's pay package, and justify things with the excuse of 'it's desperation that causes it'.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 5:11pm On Aug 31, 2012
AjanleKoko:

What exactly is this 'comfortable vantage point'?

Having a job that you're reasonably happy with (pay, job conditions, etc) that doesn't make you want to get into Total at all costs. grin

It's good you also referred to the 1:100,000 ratio. So what happens when the 99k others don't get into Total?

They continue dreaming. grin Even those with 'ok jobs' are still angling for the Total job. It's human desire - you always want more.

Besides, I don't think it's everyone on NL that is trying to get into Total is it? At least I can count you out. grin

There are actually those other jobs you mentioned in Nigeria as well (as well as outside Nigeria). Banking, consulting, IT, whatever.

You missed my point - which was a more general one. If there was a reasonable chance of getting a job at graduation (not a battle of life and death) there would likely be less focus on O&G. That in my opinion is a contributing factor.

I know chemical/mechanical/electrical engineers who would've loved to get jobs in fertilizer companies, chemical companies, manufacturing entities - the lack of jobs in those areas reduces them to focusing on O&G.

The focus on O&G is nothing but a reflection of the wider Nigerian economy.

We should encourage people to do well in school and strive for a good career.

I agree and I've not advocated for anything different. But like I mentioned earlier, human desire generally goes for the best/best paying and you can't change that.

I'm not sure how productive it is, or what good is done by doing an 'Ultimate Wonder' (apologies to MTN) on Total's pay package, and justify things with the excuse of 'it's desperation that causes it'.

I'm not justifying anything really, just my view on why it's happening.

In terms of 'good'? Money is the greatest motivator Nigerians have and they often achieve excellence along the way.

I won't knock a desire to get that lucrative job if it means for example, someone spends more time studying in order to achieve it. To each his own.

My view is that you should go for the best as much as you can; if you fail, at least you gave it your best.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 5:46pm On Aug 31, 2012
AjanleKoko:

What do you think she's trying to say from this her post?

" Maybe if i irritate you long enough you would go out and get a real job.
It's embarrassing to see a grown man like you 24hrs on a particular thread fantasizing about someone else's job."

Not everybody posting on Nairaland is a desperado, so people should understand that before posting here. If you don't like something, just walk and stop creating unnecessary drama.
I personally make post from time to time but have been avoiding this thread for sometime because of uncivil behavior displayed by some people here. You can make your point without insulting people but some people are just plain rude and need a civil education.

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by sawyer89: 5:58pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mr Debosky< stressing the 2nd syllable>! I must confess that I admire your analysis prowess. Initially, I thought na football vis-à-vis Arsenal matters you fi excellently analysed <pun intended> but I had for long been proven otherwise.
Hoping to see you on ESPN one of these days exhibiting your potential but that will obviously be after you are done "choping" oyel money.
Brother,Following you bumper-to-bumper <apology to Wande Coal>
debosky:
I won't knock a desire to get that lucrative job if it means for example, someone spends more time studying in order to achieve it. To each his own.
My view is that you should go for the best as much as you can; if you fail, at least you gave it your best.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by yemmyma: 6:17pm On Aug 31, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Even if she owns total, i don't agree with her persistent flouting of this thread. If she does not work in oil and gas, i would have said its pure sour grapes.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 6:22pm On Aug 31, 2012
I think the way BD worded her comment made it easy for anyone to read motive to it. She could have made same point without being so vituperative.

After all, some of us have mentioned earlier in the thread that it is not only in oil companies that you can have a decent career and living. I even gave an example of someone I knew that has had all his career in an investment banking insitution and today better off than most of his friends that started in the Shells of this world. Oil coy guys usually have this tendency of frittering away their income on ostentation in their early career due to this big boy syndrome, while their colleagues with lower income in other sector are living modestly and saving.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nitrogen(m): 8:15pm On Aug 31, 2012
sawyer89: Mr Debosky< stressing the 2nd syllable>! I must confess that I admire your analysis prowess. Initially, I thought na football vis-à-vis Arsenal matters you fi excellently analysed <pun intended> but I had for long been proven otherwise.
Hoping to see you on ESPN one of these days exhibiting your potential but that will obviously be after you are done "choping" oyel money.
Brother,Following you bumper-to-bumper <apology to Wande Coal>
Exactly! I'd thought oga debosky can only do this kinda in-to-to analysis on football matters, but you really proved my thoughts wrong, thumbs up bros,
I must say this, we have lots of super-intellectuals on nairaland and i really admire you guys, especially the 'constructive criticisms path', believe me, when you people fight/argue on a subject, some willing to and attentive are learning. Please, may i say that you guys have many fans (both off and online), so please continue with all these, you are making people's lives. God bless

@bluediva, i represent naija undergraduates/fresh graduates/nysc members and perhaps the jobseekers too, and they told me to tell you this:
'Seriously, you are on point with all that you have said, but we all will never agree with you, why?
1. Number one, you are quite blunt with it, see, we want pattings on our back, our sores that needs urgent treatment shouldnt be taken care of now, we prefer a cancerous one before giving it the necessary attention. You want to inflict instant but temporary pain on us by telling us all this, meanwhile we want the opposite, so, LEAVE US ALONE.
2. Also, sister, at least, to some level, you are there and you are enjoying, so why discouraging us, that's the way it should be for us too, by the way, come to think of it, we all need a comfortable life, and evidently, its the oyel money that will do that easily and effectively, so? Joor o, dont spoil our dreams for us o.
3. Lastly, it is our dear naija that has caused it, yes, but wait! I think it is all over too now?, at least anything trending in the west must be doubled here too, it is no sin, please leave us alone jare, we know what we are doing, abi you think it is only you that will enjoy oyel/subsidy money? Abegi.

Mind you dont ever try to discourage us again o, we are on a straight and wide road that leads to 'them oyel companies', no going back, till we get to our destination. Hahahaha.

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 9:31pm On Aug 31, 2012
Jarus: I think the way BD worded her comment made it easy for anyone to read motive to it. She could have made same point without being so vituperative.

After all, some of us have mentioned earlier in the thread that it is not only in oil companies that you can have a decent career and living. I even gave an example of someone I knew that has had all his career in an investment banking insitution and today better off than most of his friends that started in the Shells of this world. Oil coy guys usually have this tendency of frittering away their income on ostentation in their early career due to this big boy syndrome, while their colleagues with lower income in other sector are living modestly and saving.

Oga Jarus(Suraj) thank you for your comments. And who on earth is not in a Job because of the pay? Who is fooling who? Oh she isn't in for the money, right? Well, she can tender her resignation letter to whatever oil coy she belong and start farming.

She insisted that this discussion should have been tailored towards building a career path and I made her understand that I once requested for advice concerning career building and I didn't get any.

I have gained a lot from this thread than anywhere else.

Why couldn't she start a thread to correct whatever she feels is wrong with this one--career building.

Why would she castigate anyone who had spent valuable time in educating his fellow Nigerians. As it is, this thread is not entirely about Total because alot has been discussed , ranging from schooling abroad, obtaining certificates,scholarship, etc.

This thread has been an eye-opener to me and I have become more informed. Thanks to likes of Jarus, 2good and T22 who have effortlessly contributed their time.

To be honest with you, I feel BlueDiva is approaching this issue wrongly and for someone that is reported to be an employee of an oil company, I would expect her to share experience, how she started and climbed up the ladder, her mistakes etc. But I don't see that ever happening. This is why Nigeria is what it is today. A lot of people would rather keep valuable information to themselves.

As for me, I am not so worried about Total, ExxonMobil, Shell , Chevron etc. All I care about is how I can get into the oil industry, garner skills and experience and hopefully join Saudi Aracom ( Or any other oil coy)

Blue Diva, what advice do you have for a fresh graduate and how can one build a career in the oil industry, what are the needed skills etc?

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 11:07pm On Aug 31, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nitrogen(m): 11:47pm On Aug 31, 2012
^^^errrmmm, actually ma'am, you are still getting on many's nerves with this.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 11:53pm On Aug 31, 2012
nitrogen: ^^^errrmmm, actually ma'am, you are still getting on many's nerves with this.

That right there is the part that I don't get. Cos she no dey lie.
Lots of people who are commenting on this thread work in multinationals. Why are they not disclosing where they work, or how much they earn? Why are they coming after her? Maybe she's derailing the 'entertainment'?
Who is messing with who's head here?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 12:02am On Sep 01, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nitrogen(m): 12:14am On Sep 01, 2012
^^^ bros, she is just being nice to tell us all these, but my people would not want to hear such cos of the 'blunt' way she did it, that is it, we want lies, you know what, if it is even possible for the illitrates and the primary school cert. holders to be paid that huge salary, we dont care/mind.
Btw, we are the 'freshies' and i hope we come back to our senses someday.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 12:19am On Sep 01, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 12:33am On Sep 01, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 6:39am On Sep 01, 2012
BlueDIVA, talking about people who get broke after leaving the oil industry, I would say it's the lack of knowledge of how money works that is cause. Imagine people getting a job with an oil firm and have no concrete plan for investment.

I remember I once talked about investment to my friend who is with Total, but he laughed it off. This is the case with virtually alot of people working out there.

I am glad that I hadnt been employed yet when my mates got job with Total. Why? It has given me the sense of how money works, why it is essential to invest and build a business etc. and that only happened after reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. I have gone further to read more investment and business books since then.

Some folks would quickly go on buying car but do not have a piece of realestate. Some do not know the difference between liability and asset.

I have only read of one man who retired from Shell at age 45 to take up fulltime realestate biz. And that's my goad--to become a realestate investor.

And this problem is the reason why most people do not retire early because they never thought of investing till tirement age start knocking.

Whoever wants to work in the oil industry just to make money should know that he/she displaced someone. So ,also, will he/she be displaced at the appropriate time. Hence, there's need to strike now while the iron is hot.

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 12:21pm On Sep 01, 2012
-

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 1:10pm On Sep 01, 2012
BlueDiva: ^^^
Life is more than just earning millions.
A severance pay of 36 million can be squandered in less than 4yrs. I have seen it happen a couple of times.

36 million is nothing. Can't even buy you a decent house in Lagos.
And the point that should be passed across to the younger ones is . . . yeah, it's good to work in Total. But you can also work in Friesland Foods, or Nestle, and have a very satisfying career. I can count two very close friends who are executive directors in multinational FMCGs in Nigeria.

I mean, look at the disparaging way that Total Downstream is referred to on this thread . . . like the people working there are jonzing.
Nigerians get big mouth and long throat sha. embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
AjanleKoko:

36 million is nothing. Can't even buy you a decent house in Lagos.

Again, this is dependent on your vantage point. . . .The boy/girl who is living in a face me I face you/'self contained' will not be dismissive of 36m.

I mean, look at the disparaging way that Total Downstream is referred to on this thread . . . like the people working there are jonzing.
Nigerians get big mouth and long throat sha. embarassed

I agree - any job you do honestly should be respected, even if it doesn't result in the armed robber salary.

BlueDiva:
LOL at this post.
If it's all about making money then going into big time farming is more rewarding.

Madam enough of these glib references to farming. . . .will a young graduate jobseeker be given funds to start up big time farming just like that? Let's be realistic here.

Yes it's likely you'll make more money in large scale farming, but without start up capital you can't even farm a patch, not to talk about large scale anything.

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 01, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 01, 2012
-
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by nitrogen(m): 3:32pm On Sep 01, 2012
^^ Geez! Madam, what is happening?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by shakur4luv(m): 4:19pm On Sep 01, 2012
can som1 pls help me

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (36) (Reply)

ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / 2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.