Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,914 members, 7,828,195 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? (12550 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Teach Your Kids To Drive Before 15(pics) / Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Subliminal Messages Hidden In Disney Cartoons That Our Kids Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by qleyo(f): 9:25pm On Sep 27, 2011
erico2k2:

Let me pick your brains a little, howmany country in Europe do you think speak English? since you said its the world language of commmunication.

This year, I went to Japan for a month, asides the pleasantries, I spoke only English. I went to Mexico, asides gracias and poquito, I spoke English, I went to Stockholm, Amsterdam, Berlin, Italy - take a wild guess what language me and the billions of other visitors communicated in? English. I was in France for three months, I met people, a few of which I will probably keep for the rest of my life, Brazilians, Spaniards, Chinese, Thai, Indonesians, Croatians, Russians, all taking the same course I was taking, they couldn't speak good enough French, so we spoke in, guess again? English. I have a friend in Lagos, she is Greek and is married to a man she met in Lagos who is German, would that marriage have happened without English? Likewise another friend who is Swedish and is married to an African born Swede, Swedish by blood but speaks nothing other than, wouldn't you have it? English. I know two people who are Igala and perhaps a little more from Benin, I can speak neither Language but I great them, thank them and say good bye to them in the Igala/Benin, but guess what I speak to them the rest of the time? English. I have friends from all over Nigeria, guess what we communicate in, English.

I never said Europeans spoke only English, neither did I imply that the world spoke only English. Yes most countries have their own Lingua Franca, but half of these countries were not colonised and did not have 101 tribes forced into one country. They have spoken and will continue to speak one major language for time to come. But the fact is and will remain for the next decade at least, the world communicates in English (or French) - as a first, second or third language. Hell even the cocky French who refused for so long to learn English have given up and now speak, wouldn't you have it English!
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Princek12(m): 9:32pm On Sep 27, 2011
gleyo, how many languages can you speak fluently?
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by erico2k2(m): 9:35pm On Sep 27, 2011
qleyo:

This year, I went to Japan for a month, asides the pleasantries, I spoke only English. I went to Mexico, asides gracias and poquito, I spoke English, I went to Stockholm, Amsterdam, Berlin, Italy - take a wild guess what language me and the billions of other visitors communicated in? English. I was in France for three months, I met people, a few of which I will probably keep for the rest of my life, Brazilians, Spaniards, Chinese, Thai, Indonesians, Croatians, Russians, all taking the same course I was taking, they couldn't speak good enough French, so we spoke in, guess again? English. I have a friend in Lagos, she is Greek and is married to a man she met in Lagos who is German, would that marriage have happened without English? Likewise another friend who is Swedish and is married to an African born Swede, Swedish by blood but speaks nothing other than, wouldn't you have it? English. I know two people who are Igala and perhaps a little more from Benin, I can speak neither Language but I great them, thank them and say good bye to them in the Igala/Benin, but guess what I speak to them the rest of the time? English. I have friends from all over Nigeria, guess what we communicate in, English.

I never said Europeans spoke only English, neither did I imply that the world spoke only English. Yes most countries have their own Lingua Franca, but half of these countries were not colonised and did not have 101 tribes forced into one country. They have spoken and will continue to speak one major language for time to come. But the fact is and will remain for the next decade at least, the world communicates in English (or French) - as a first, second or third language. Hell even the cocky French who refused for so long to learn English have given up and now speak, wouldn't you have it English!
omg , I nearly fall from my bed reading all what you wrote, all this for my small question nah wah, if you write essey nah die B dat no worry, dey show yousef first, we go fall your hand in a minute lol
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by erico2k2(m): 9:36pm On Sep 27, 2011
Princek12:

Bross I tire ohh lol
@gleyo
Did you not in anyway hear them speak broken frenc still? lol
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by igbo2011(m): 9:50pm On Sep 27, 2011
1st: Native
2nd: English
3rd: Mandarin Chinese
4th: Another dominate language

We need to stress our languages and speak it at home and to friends, then use English for school and work. Chinese for international business.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by qleyo(f): 9:55pm On Sep 27, 2011
What are you talking about? I never condemned pidgin, I was merely pointing out why we ought to speak good English in response to some ones stating it was "colonial mentality" and we ought to speak our own languages! I say speak whatever you want to speak but you will still inevitably need English!

And yes there is "street" French and Verlan. Language is not static, it will always evolve but @erico2k2 let us stay on topic here, the point of my last epic response was to clearly stipulate that English is the "world's language for communication" as I had quite clearly in fewer words mentioned - lest you need to me write yet another response explaining myself!
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by jabroad: 10:00pm On Sep 27, 2011
People learn differently. I have never been able to speak more than one language. growing up, in the village, I only spoke my native language, my English was horrible, and when i was in the city, my English was perfect and my native tongue was horrible. If you know me in person--i guarantee you wouldn't dare to think I'm Dumb. The fact is we all process information differently.

As for Pidgin English, honestly, its been as beneficial for me to know, as English. there are too many Nigerian languages; it helps that even if I don't speak Yoruba or Ibo, i can still communicate with you. Even now my pidgin isn't good, but i understand it well, and that helps me be closer to my fellow Nigerians here abroad.  

English is a necessity in today's society, Kids should Learn it! And learn it well! But Pidgin is one of the things that makes us unique, it reminds me of  the place i come from, that I am not like everyone else here in America. I come from a rich heritage! rich with Culture, Minerals, joy, pain, deceit, and love. I am proud to be Nigerian because its where God brought me from. Pidgin is one of the things keeps me connected.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by qleyo(f): 10:12pm On Sep 27, 2011
Princek12:

English
French
Conversational Hausa

I would count "pidgin", but for the fact that pidgin by definition is not a language, but a simplified version of a language. When we take it seriously and actually have a dictionary for it and every word in English actually has a direct translation, like Creole has become, then maybe.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by erico2k2(m): 10:17pm On Sep 27, 2011
qleyo:

English
French
Conversational Hausa

I would count "pidgin", but for the fact that pidgin by definition is not a language, but a simplified version of a language. When we take it seriously and actually have a dictionary for it and every word in English actually has a direct translation, like Creole has become, then maybe.
who told you there is no dictionary for pidgin English? come to warri and you will see that kpo kpo garri= tapioka grin grin grin grin
Mugu=Fool
waffi= warri and saffi=sapele
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by emmatok(m): 10:53pm On Sep 27, 2011
Pidgin English is a product of our environment, and you can't stop your kids from using it, except at home where you can monitor them.

Is like trying stop kids from US or UK from using street slang. It is not possible.

The major thing is to teach them when and how to communicate properly in different environments.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by ezeagu(m): 12:54am On Sep 28, 2011
Baarf, a lot of rubbish reasoning. What has English, Spanish and French got to do with the Nigerian market that speaks Igbo, Hausa, and Yoruba? Where in the world do native people speak foreigners languages. Sort of like some Portuguese people talking about Germans importance over Portuguese because of the economy.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 28, 2011
qleyo:

Lol. This is highly entertaining, and somewhat enlightening.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Martmore: 9:18am On Sep 28, 2011
igbo2011:

1st: Native
2nd: English
3rd: Mandarin Chinese
4th: Another dominate language

We need to stress our languages and speak it at home and to friends, then use English for school and work. Chinese for international business.GBAM

Let me remind those of you talking global that so many years ago latin was the major language.Whether we like it or not, we cant speak english like the british.even english techers speak pidgin.I want to be less like them(british), and more of me(IGBO naija)
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by girlsupersonic(f): 12:47pm On Sep 28, 2011
Don't know why some Nigerians are not supportive of what they have. And who says Pidgin is not a language and isnt worth learning. Some here even call it a slang! You should go to Delta or even Ph and see how serious they take it there. I went to a church in Ph and they were translating from English to correct Pidgin and you still call Pidgin a slang, distorted english and whatever? Before you know it Pidgin will be taught as it is our only real common language that cuts across many ethniticies in Nigeria. Why should a foreigner come here and not have a taste of it like we do their own french or spanish instead of giving him our so called posh English that isnt even our. Please stop saying Pidgin is street language, it is just like saying Yoruba is street language! To the topic, Even if you say Pidgin affects a child's good English; what about our native Igbo or Yoruba plus even our dear international languages?
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by olawalebabs(m): 12:49pm On Sep 28, 2011
it depends, pidgin can be taken to be a local dialect, some part may accept it and others disown it. that is the way it works
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by sebastinta(m): 12:53pm On Sep 28, 2011
Siena:

Comrade, why can't you accept that parents will make their own choices, with regards to what languages their children will be taught?? Besides, not every poster here has English as a first language, there are various mixes. How sure are you that the poster you're calling a hash head doesn't have French ancestry? And even if they don't, does it really matter?

Some prefer their children are taught pidgin, some English, some their native language, some French / Spanish etc. That's their business, and no cause to insult them. Their children, their choice.

c thats d difference btw u nd me, u cant identify a figure a speech wen u c 1. rather ur pointing fingers at my written English tongue
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by ladgentle(m): 2:02pm On Sep 28, 2011
If our kids can speak our native dialects alongside the English language, I don't really see any challenge in their speaking pidgin English alongside standard English. However I wouldn't encourage it.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by meyri: 3:36pm On Sep 28, 2011
It should not be a problem, as long as the child knows that there is time and place when to and when not to speak it.
I grew up learning to speak Pidgin along with my native tongue and English. I use them interchangeably,and it has not hinder me in any way.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by erico2k2(m): 5:33pm On Sep 28, 2011
Internet is God gift to MAN lol loads of these posters here hide behind thier screen chatting all sorts when all they screem at home is Mama Iyabo wen B D nxt plate? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by horny4u(f): 9:59am On Sep 29, 2011
English is powerful for economy and global reasons

however

our native dialect is more powerful in the sense that it feeds our kids self worth and pride in who they are, you only need to study the West Indies or African Americans to see what i mean. They act like there is something missing and they seek it all the time, we have it and should not throw it away.  You are 1st an individual then  yoruba, igbo, hausa etc before you are a Nigerian and except you are good at what you are , there is not much you can bring to the table in the world.

Watch the Chinese, Indians closely to see most speak their language even if they have not been to their respective countries.
If we look at this from only the economic point of view then we miss out on the most important aspect of this which is self love and esteem.

Kids who know where they originated from tend to be more balanced, why do people study history ? Its because the past has a lot to do with the future. Our kids must know their family heritage, language and much more then they can square their shoulders and say I know me.

Our native language should be passed on it is only self less to do that.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by erico2k2(m): 10:11am On Sep 29, 2011
horny4u:

English is powerful for economy and global reasons

however

our native dialect is more powerful in the sense that it feeds our kids self worth and pride in who they are, you only need to study the West Indies or African Americans to see what i mean. They act like there is something missing and they seek it all the time, we have it and should not throw it away.  You are 1st an individual then  yoruba, igbo, hausa etc before you are a Nigerian and except you are good at what you are , there is not much you can bring to the table in the world.

Watch the Chinese, Indians closely to see most speak their language even if they have not been to their respective countries.
If we look at this from only the economic point of view then we miss out on the most important aspect of this which is self love and esteem.

Kids who know where they originated from tend to be more balanced, why do people study history ? Its because the past has a lot to do with the future. Our kids must know their family heritage, language and much more then they can square their shoulders and say I know me.

Our native language should be passed on it is only self less to do that.
well said, leave people wen never even reach MM they form Jand,my child is not allowed to speak pidgin, yeye fowl
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 29, 2011
erico2k2:

well said, leave people wen never even reach MM they form Jand,my child is not allowed to speak pidgin, yeye fowl

Comrade, H[i]o[/i]rny is right, in that our native languages should not be abandoned. Native language bro, not pidgin. Those that choose not to bring their children up with pidgin, have made a choice. That does not make them "yeye", as you seem to think. Everyone has a choice to make, everyone has their own way of bringing up their children.

Insulting those that have a contrary view will not change things.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by horny4u(f): 4:04pm On Sep 29, 2011
Siena:

Comrade, H[i]o[/i]rny is right, in that our native languages should not be abandoned. Native language bro, not pidgin. Those that choose not to bring their children up with pidgin, have made a choice. That does not make them "yeye", as you seem to think. Everyone has a choice to make, everyone has their own way of bringing up their children.

Insulting those that have a contrary view will not change things.

Personally I am not for teaching my kids pidgin or allowiing them to speak it until they are 18 yrs old infact its not allowed in my home whether you are my child or not only Adults should speak pidgin English if they want to in my opinion for the simple fact that pidgin English or patua is a distorted form of a language little wonder it is also referred to as broken English and not the real thing to me this is enough reason .
Pidgin English is not a native language.
Now that is my opinion everyone has a right to bring their kids up as they please.
Each parent has a manual for their child in their heart.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 29, 2011
H[i]o[/i]rny, I think you're getting me wrong. I'm not an advocate of teaching children pidgin. We weren't brought up speaking pidgin, and we're bringing up our children the same way.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by horny4u(f): 6:27pm On Sep 29, 2011
Siena:

H[i]o[/i]rny, I think you're getting me wrong. I'm not an advocate of teaching children pidgin. We weren't brought up speaking pidgin, and we're bringing up our children the same way.
grin My response was to agree with you .
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 29, 2011
horny4u:

grin My response was to agree with you .

Lol, I got you. Been corrupted by too much random pidgin today, I got confused, hehe.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by qleyo(f): 6:49pm On Oct 24, 2011
I've only noticed someone's called Horny4u  shocked

Google is now in pidgin,  http://www.google.com.ng/preferences?hl=pcm
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by 2shuz: 11:40am On Nov 28, 2011
I was born and breed in Ajegunle grin and my family speaks pidgin English as a second language. Igbo language ( my dialect to be precise) was our major means of communication. I know my English tenses very well and I also speak the Yoruba language very well too. I was also privileged to school in the east so I also read and write the Igbo language very well. I have friends who grew up with me that have the ability to speak all the Nigerian languages ( na dem sabi as dem take do dat wan). I have read all the treads and I feel so sorry for my fellow Nigerians. We are sooooo quick to dump our culture and embrace the culture of other people. I feel so sad/iritated angry when I meet a Nigerian who doesn’t speak his/ her native tongue, neither can he/she speak our funky pidgin English.
Have you noticed that many countries always speak their mother tongue, have you EVER noticed how other foreigners like the Spanish, the Indians, the Chinese e.t.c ALWAYS SPEAK THEIR MOTHER TONGUE wherever they are!!! English language will be learnt in your childrens “expensive schools” abi na troway you dey troway dia schools fees!!! undecided
Whilst I agree that English language as a universal language and must be taught to our children so that they can be able to communicate with other people who they meet, I do not believe that we should think other languages especially pidgin English can corrupt their ability to speak well.

Your pikin no sabi your native language, e no sabi any Nigerian language, e no dey speak pidgin english which is the easiest means of communication in Nigeria…e dey form speaking English. You think say na by speaking English be say e fit write English!! :oPesin wey no sabi speak English no learn am well. No be pidgin spoil hin grammar. Na simple oloddo. Kgbagan!!!!
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by kanechimex(m): 4:17pm On Oct 15, 2012
2shuz,u talk well abeg..d one wey dey vex me pass na when naija pple go wan speak English with british accent..d tin dae boil my blood..i feel say wetin make naija pple wan quick learn english b say dem no want make other pple see them as illeterate..but dat na bullsh*t..as for me,since i no sabi my mother tongue,i go teach my child pidgin..d twenty yrs wey en go spend for skul suppose make speak gud english...
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 3:14am On Oct 18, 2013
Lol I remember my secondary school days back in a tiny bilingual country..they used to envy our naija pidgin..am in naija now and am still learning my native language cuz its never too late..I speak French and English fluently with little Latin(was compulsory in my school oh). cheesy grin grin grin I regret not learning Hausa n Yoruba
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nancy2016: 11:52pm On Jun 30, 2016
T
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by bitchcrafts: 12:00am On Jul 01, 2016
Do you know how much it took me (time +resources) to understand pidgin and mother tongue and be fluent (@least when writing) at it? If yo Nigerian in Nigeria, teach your child that language the society is identified with. Don't be a victim of urbanization that "detraditionalizes" everything. A standard school should teach that young mind all the standard English you envisage IMO CC Nancy2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside / Happy Birthday To Family Section's World Famous Leapling (CHAIRCOVER) / Sex During Fasting For Christians (RCCG)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.