Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,100 members, 7,828,845 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? (12551 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Teach Your Kids To Drive Before 15(pics) / Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Subliminal Messages Hidden In Disney Cartoons That Our Kids Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by blackpanda: 11:35am On Sep 27, 2011
freecocoa:

I don't see anything wrong with kids speaking pidgin english,I grew up speaking pidgin and it hasn't affected my english,some people say their kids should learn french,spanish etc instead,if these other languages don't affect their use of the english language why should pidgin? As far as I'm concerned I'd want my kids to learn whatever language they can as long as its not foul.

God bless you. This is the kind of thinking we need in order for our dear country to regain its former glory. We are a country of vast diverse and interesting cultures. We are not english or british, we are nigerian! And we must be proud of our dialect
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by hbrednic: 11:42am On Sep 27, 2011
pidgin na the best
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by ideylaff: 11:42am On Sep 27, 2011
You see, this is exactly my point. In other countries they type, speak and write in their own language. Unfortunately its the reverse here, where children are taught to shy away from their local language. If i was given the opportunity, today i would be typing everything u are reading in esan,  And you are wrong, pidgin is NOT an "aberration". It is our own form of english. Its the same as they speak American in the USA.
No matter how hard we try, we can never speak english like the british. One day, you may find that this pdgin which you despise so much may be the only thing that will save you. We must learn to abandon this culture of importing everything importable.

@ , bro don't get me wrong, I don't despise Pidgin English at all , All I said was if you start to teach a kid Pidgin which no one taught me (I just picked it up) you have a chance to confuse d kid

My bro if Yoruba was a Globally accepted  language, same for Hausa and Igbo, id gladly use it as a means/medium of conversation, but it's not

That's all we are saying, I can speak those languages 4rm here to Honolulu, if the medium in which I want to pass the message on to cant understand it,

I'm the fool then. Just imagine I fly into London and start to speak Yoruba to the immigration officer at his desk @ Heathrow, push comes to shove ,he'll say can I get an interpreter, so if im ready 4 an interpreter to do the job, fine, but whats all that stress for, when i can just say a few lines,
other way round as well an English guy lands at Murtala Mohammed International (MAM) and we start to speak to him in Hausa,

it's all a bit complex, unless we grow our language globally/make it accepted it wont work

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by hbrednic: 11:55am On Sep 27, 2011
ideylaff:

@ , bro don't get me wrong, I don't despise Pidgin English at all , All I said was if you start to teach a kid Pidgin which no one taught me (I just picked it up) you have a chance to confuse d kid

My bro if Yoruba was a Globally accepted  language, same for Hausa and Igbo, id gladly use it as a means/medium of conversation, but it's not

That's all we are saying, I can speak those languages 4rm here to Honolulu, if the medium in which I want to pass the message on to cant understand it,

I'm the fool then. Just imagine I fly into London and start to speak Yoruba to the immigration officer at his desk @ Heathrow, push comes to shove ,he'll say can I get an interpreter, so if im ready 4 an interpreter to do the job, fine, but whats all that stress for, when i can just say a few lines,
other way round as well an English guy lands at Murtala Mohammed International (MAM) and we start to speak to him in Hausa,

it's all a bit complex, unless we grow our language globally/make it accepted it wont work

what if a spanish,portuguese,people from non english speaking countries lands at our airport or heathrow wont they look for an interpreter?
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by blackpanda: 11:59am On Sep 27, 2011
ideylaff:

well u jst pointed the flaw in ur own argument. if they require an interpreter for u in uk, then why shldnt u require an interpreter for them in murtala mohammed airport. Dnt get me wrong, am not saying pple shldnt learn english, what i am saying is that we must not also forget our own native language. It is our duty to pass on our heritage
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by sholasys: 12:18pm On Sep 27, 2011
Why would i denial my kid not to speak pidgin English? both does not disturb each other and as a matter of fact i know when and whom to speak English to and also pidgin. Am very fluent in both and if i want to be posh, i can do that perfectly and eloquently. Some time i do speak broken to my kid. All get their benefits. As far as you are a Nigerian or you are in Nigeria you need it. In fact an American Expertriate  was saved from kidnapping in Phc bc he spoke pidgin English to them (dough he married  Niaja lady).
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by freecocoa(f): 12:22pm On Sep 27, 2011
blackpanda:

God bless you. This is the kind of thinking we need in order for our dear country to regain its former glory. We are a country of vast diverse and interesting cultures. We are not english or british, we are nigerian! And we must be proud of our dialect
May God bless you too my brother,I started speaking english,pidgin,hausa,a little idoma,french,I understand yoruba but don't speak much and I'm a custodian of my mother tongue Igbo which am so proud of all as a kid,so I wonder at what some people think.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by cicero(m): 12:26pm On Sep 27, 2011
blackpanda:

I sorry for you. Your children will join the line of those have been considered "lost". I know this because i am there too. I live abroad and unfortunately my parents didnt have the sense to teach us our native language before we left; all in the name of "English is the future". As a result i feel so ashamed whenever there is a nigerian gathering here, as i cant mutter a word in my own local dialect. When i speak with my mum on the phone, its always in english, and even the foreigners here are usually surprised when i do that.
The fact is when the going gets tough, its to your tenth o israel. Who will your children run to. It will be easier for me to get help here form my fellow nigerians if i could speak the language. Even when i tell pple i am a nigerian they dnt believe. They always have to go check my passport first. Infact i m considering switching nationality.
Did you know that even in America, they dont speak English. What they speak is "AMERICAN" which is totally diff from english. The same thing goes for most of the developed world, brazil, germany, france, china, spain, sweden, etc. Everybody is aligning themselves with their own native dialect. Shamefully, nigerians a busy looking for the nearest foreign language to adopt.

On the contrary my children will be well grounded. In your case your parents are to blame 'cos I've seen children who grew up abroad and have no problem with their Nigerian language because their parents made it a point to always converse in their native language at home since the children will definitely interact in english out side the home.

But my point is not that our native language or pidgin english is bad, I'm just saying children will better be relevant having a good grasp of english than pidgin or vernacular. I am also saying that too much of pidgin and vernacular may affect they having a good command of the english language especially in Nigeria where 'I will tell my daddy for you' has become standard english. I also implied that giving a choice of them speaking English and any other language I would prefer them speaking english, spanish and french. These languages are more relevant for global business and interactions.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Parnassuss(m): 12:37pm On Sep 27, 2011
The fact hat this even a debate puzzles me. Are the two mutually reliant? I remember that the first language I learnt was Igbo then Pidgin. I never went to any posh school but my parents carefully switched to proper English when I'd come of age and could converse fluently in the former languages. I now speak French also so what's the grouse? The more the merrier, and on a serious note, if all we have is English what identity do we then have? Imagine what the Creole has done for the Caribbeans, what I feel is that this present level of Pidgin is not enough, let GEJ go and address the UN Council in proper Warri Dialect, then I feel we would have started to assert our true identity.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by AdamuW: 12:55pm On Sep 27, 2011
Parnassuss:

The fact hat this even a debate puzzles me. Are the two mutually reliant? I remember that the first language I learnt was Igbo then Pidgin. I never went to any posh school but my parents carefully switched to proper English when I'd come of age and could converse fluently in the former languages. I now speak French also so what's the grouse? The more the merrier, and on a serious note, if all we have is English what identity do we then have? Imagine what the Creole has done for the Caribbeans, what I feel is that this present level of Pidgin is not enough, let GEJ go and address the UN Council in proper Warri Dialect, then I feel we would have started to assert our true identity.
I agree with most of what Parnassuss said. Apart from the GEJ UN part :-) .  The more the merrier. Maybe it's a case of priorities. Formal English is our 'official' language and is still very powerful and relevant in the world today until the Chinese and Indians take over :-) Until we properly change that, it'd be crazy not too teach it to our kids. Of course our Native languages should be taught as well and in a more informal way pidgin as well. That would help make our children well rounded individuals able to communicate in most places.
[flash=560,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI_-VCUr5Ys?version=3&hl=en_GB[/flash]
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by sley4life(m): 12:55pm On Sep 27, 2011
its not bad. they are entitled to what they speak. Its a learning process. Even if they want to learn japanese at home they are free as long as they are not depriving them learning their English language
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Sep 27, 2011
I feel people are confusing their native language, with Pidgin English. Your native language is just that - your native language. Pidgin on the other hand, is just crudely-spoken / broken English.

blackpanda:

Shame on you! Go to england or spain and see whetehr they say it is yoruba or ibo or hausa 1st. We have simply refused to drop that silly colonial mentality. Part of our problem in this nation is that we have been brain washed to believe that anything foreign is the best. In south africa, the use of local dialect and mother tongue is widely accepted. Infact, in some schools, children are taught in their mother tongue. In universities, you are allowed to write your exams in your local dialect! In our case here in nigeria, its the other way round. I weep for our children yet unborn, slowly we are wiping out our entire history, culture and very existence! GBAM!

Shame on the poster, because he / she stated a preference? Another primitive trait, whereby anyone with a different opinion is either verbally abused, or shouted down.

If speaking English is "Colonial Mentality," as you say it is, then why bow under any Western influence? Cars, mobile phones, designer outfits, electricity and even this medium you're communicating with here are all Western. Why not give all this up, so you don't get labelled a slave? Sounds like "Selective Colonial Mentality," if you ask me.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by globexl: 1:04pm On Sep 27, 2011
Yes , it is a well known fact that kids can handle more than 3 languages at a time. BUt, and its a big but, PIDGIN ENGLISH is not a language in the true sense of the word. It is a broken language. An improvised language that evolved to bridge the language gap between the mostly illiterate populace and the colonial administrators.
Studies after studies have shown the richness of the vocabulary of any language is directly related to the intellectual wealth of that language. Cultures whose language have a limited vocabulary seem to lag behind in intellectual prowess and achievements, compared to cultures that have a rich vocabulary.
PIDGIN ENGLISH is an improvised language with very limited vocabulary. Since Children tend to think in the language that they speak, a limited language would, therefore, have a negative effect on children's  ability to expand their intellect. This is not a speculation. This is a scientifically observed fact.
About 300yrs ago, a famous slave merchant, John Lynch, travelled to the slave colonies of the Carribean to teach slave owners how to create and sustain the perfect slave. In one of his lectures, he warned the slave owners not to allow the slaves to  speak the same language as they did, but advised them to develope a broken down and fragmented version of the their language(PIDGIN), so that MINDS of the slaves could REMAIN BROKEN AND FRAGMENTED. He further warned them that if the slave speaks like you, the slave will be as smart as you.

Therefore, it is not surprising that the colonialist adopted this logic in Nigeria.
My conclusion:.
PIDGIN ENGLISH is harmful to your child. If ytou doubt this, just take a trip to any one of  our universities.
Fragmented language=Fragmented Mind= Fragmented Reality

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Princek12(m): 1:05pm On Sep 27, 2011
Siena:

I feel people are confusing their native language, with Pidgin English. Your native language is just that - your native language. Pidgin on the other hand, is just crudely-spoken / broken English.

Shame on the poster, because he / she stated a preference? Another primitive trait, whereby anyone with a different opinion is either verbally abused, or shouted down.

If speaking English is "Colonial Mentality," as you say it is, then why bow under any Western influence? Cars, mobile phones, designer outfits, electricity and even this medium you're communicating with here are all Western. Why not give all this up, so you don't get labelled a slave? Sounds like "Selective Colonial Mentality," if you ask me.

Many of the technologies you mentioned above are not all from the West. Many of those technologies were invented in Asia--Japan. You have been brainwashed to think everything novel comes from the West, which is not true.

You sound like someone who has inferiority complex.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Princek12(m): 1:11pm On Sep 27, 2011
globexl:

Yes , it is a well known fact that kids can handle more than 3 languages at a time. BUt, and its a big but, PIDGIN ENGLISH is not a language in the true sense of the word. It is a broken language. An improvised language that evolved to bridge the language gap between the mostly illiterate populace and the colonial administrators.
Studies after studies have shown the richness of the vocabulary of any language is directly related to the intellectual wealth of that language. Cultures whose language have a limited vocabulary seem to lag behind in intellectual prowess and achievements, compared to cultures that have a rich vocabulary.
PIDGIN ENGLISH is an improvised language with very limited vocabulary. Since Children tend to think in the language that they speak, a limited language would, therefore, have a negative effect on children's  ability to expand their intellect. This is not a speculation. This is a scientifically observed fact.
About 300yrs ago, a famous slave merchant, John Lynch, travelled to the slave colonies of the Carribean to teach slave owners how to create and sustain the perfect slave. In one of his lectures, he warned the slave owners not to allow the slaves to  speak the same language as they did, but advised them to develope a broken down and fragmented version of the their language(PIDGIN), so that MINDS of the slaves could REMAIN BROKEN AND FRAGMENTED. He further warned them that if the slave speaks like you, the slave will be as smart as you.

Therefore, it is not surprising that the colonialist adopted this logic in Nigeria.
My conclusion:.
PIDGIN ENGLISH is harmful to your child. If ytou doubt this, just take a trip to any one of  our universities.
Fragmented language=Fragmented Mind= Fragmented Reality

You are implying that it is impossible for a child to learn standard English and Pidgin English concurrently? If that is what you are implying then you have not been exposed to "balanced Nigerians" like me who have mastered regular English, Yoruba, and pidgin English. Learning pidgin English should not dilute the child's mastery of the vocabulary of standard English if the child goes to a good school where he or she is being taught properly and where he or she is only allowed to speak in standard English. Learning pidgin English will happen naturally if your child is exposed to people who speak it. But to forbid your child from speaking it is unnecessary.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by promire2004(f): 1:17pm On Sep 27, 2011
2mch:

Are your kids too dumb that they cannot speak more than one language? A child's ability to juggle many different languages shows intelligence.  undecided. Nothing wrong with pidgin, it can open some doors same as polished english can. It is all about balance and a child's intelligence. There are some people that can speak pidgin and in the next minute converse in very posh english.
yeah, u're absolutely on point dear. Cos i remember when i was much younger, i was very good with both pidgin and 'posh' english. I got acquainted with very big words and made the dictionary my 2nd closest companion after the bible. It was quite amazing to most of my friends how i balanced my pidgin and good english. Though i graduated as a scientist, English is still my forte'. Pidgin english is cool when spoken at the right time and place. At formal gatherings where you meet personalities, you simply activate your "posh english".
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by cicero(m): 1:23pm On Sep 27, 2011
pidgin english distorts 'posh' english (never heard of 'posh' english before but it sounds cool)

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Sep 27, 2011
Princek12:

Many of the technologies you mentioned above are not all from the West. Many of those technologies were invented in Asia--Japan. You have been brainwashed to think everything novel comes from the West, which is not true.

You sound like someone who has inferiority complex.

You write like a confused being. Why are you embracing technology that emanated from anywhere but Nigeria? Since it makes you feel "inferior", why not stick to a horse and cart, and rely on the Bush Telegraph to communicate? Regardless of where these technologies were invented, the point remains they are not indigenous to Nigeria. Why are you therefore making use of them? By your own admission, I'm brainwashed, and have an inferiority complex.

Please, and this isn't casting aspersion on Nigeria as a nation - what is one of our notable contributions to mankind? What do we produce that would be a substitute to what we use today from outside Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Princek12(m): 1:29pm On Sep 27, 2011
promire2004:

yeah, u're absolutely on point dear. Cos i remember when i was much younger, i was very good with both pidgin and 'posh' english. I got acquainted with very big words and made the dictionary my 2nd closest companion after the bible. It was quite amazing to most of my friends how i balanced my pidgin and good english. Though i graduated as a scientist, English is still my forte'. Pidgin english is cool when spoken at the right time and place. At formal gatherings where you meet personalities, you simply activate your "posh english".

Thank you very much. My parents taught my siblings and I how to live a balanced life. I have friends who grew up in England and whose parents categorically barred them from speaking pidgin English or their native language. Their parents sent them to England so that they can speak "good English." We, on the other hand, grew up in Nigeria and were allowed to speak Yoruba at home, but we were sent to a private school where we were taught very well and spoke only regular English. We learned pidgin English by speaking it to traders in the market and to other people who cannot speak it regular English.

Now, many of my friends who thought it is badge of honor to speak only language are envious of our ability to speak all three languages fluently, while they can speak only one fluently. I am also a proud graduate of law and chemistry from a top university in America. I now speak Yoruba, pidgin, or my posh English accordingly and at the right occasion. Bottom line is that diversity is good, so your kids won't be like all these unexposed kids who can only adapt to one environment, which is typical of many of our kids today, especially Nigerian kids born and raised in the diaspora.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Princek12(m): 1:35pm On Sep 27, 2011
Siena:

You write like a confused being. Why are you embracing technology that emanated from anywhere but Nigeria? Since it makes you feel "inferior", why not stick to a horse and cart, and rely on the Bush Telegraph to communicate? Regardless of where these technologies were invented, the point remains they are not indigenous to Nigeria. Why are you therefore making use of them? By your own admission, I'm brainwashed, and have an inferiority complex.

Please, and this isn't casting aspersion on Nigeria as a nation - what is one of our notable contributions to mankind? What do we produce that would substitute to what we use today from outside Nigeria?

You are the confused being? You said that a lot of the technologies came from the West. The last time I checked, the technologies you mentioned above are used in all countries--i.e., cars, planes, etc. According to your rationale, every country on the globe that uses cars and planes should purge themselves of their native language just because they used a technology that was invented from a foreign country.

You reason like you have an okrika brain, which is probably who you are? So, for example, if the UK uses a technology from a foreign land like Japan, the UK should stop speaking English and speak Japanese; in the same vein, if the Swiss uses a technology invented by HTC, a Taiwanese company, the Swiss should let go of their language and speak Taiwanese.

You are a one-dimensional, illiterate thinker who wants to feel among or validate something by proving your allegiance to the English language. It makes you look silly.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2011
I was waiting for the abuse, and you didn't let me down.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Princek12(m): 1:52pm On Sep 27, 2011
Siena:

I was waiting for the abuse, and you didn't let me down.

I guess you have nothing else to say. You started with the ad hominem reasoning--the personal attack-- saying I write like I was a confused being. You let me down, first, so you got a dose of your own medicine.

I guess your statement shows that you have nothing else of substance to say in response to what I said, so rather than admit the flaws in your reasoning, that it is black and white form of reasoning, you switch to another type of reasoning flaw--avoiding the subject.

You are so typical, as in you start by abusing someone, but when you get a response that exposes the flaw in your reasoning and abuses you back, you cry foul and play the victim when you have nothing of substance to say. Get outta here, jare!
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by globexl: 1:58pm On Sep 27, 2011
Princek12:

You are implying that it is impossible for a child to learn standard English and Pidgin English concurrently? If that is what you are implying then you have not been exposed to "balanced Nigerians" like me who have mastered regular English, Yoruba, and pidgin English. Learning pidgin English should not dilute the child's mastery of the vocabulary of standard English if the child goes to a good school where he or she is being taught properly and where he or she is only allowed to speak in standard English. Learning pidgin English will happen naturally if your child is exposed to people who speak it. But to forbid your child from speaking it is unnecessary.
I did not imply such. I just stated what has been scientifically observed :that a language that is complex and rich in vocabulary(English,French, Yoruba etc) is much better for a child's intellectual development than a language that is broken down or fragmented(PIDGIN english or Patwa).

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 27, 2011
Get out of here, on who's say so? Now why would I want to do that? I'm not avoiding the subject either. I've made my point, and that's all I set out to do.

And just so you know - what ever you say on here has no effect on me, whatsoever. I've got a thick skin, I haven't been chased out of Nairaland since I joined 4 years ago. I'm not about to run now. Cyber life is just that.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 27, 2011
globexl:

I did not imply such. I just stated what has been scientifically observed :that a language that is complex and rich in vocabulary(English,French, Yoruba etc) is much better for a child's intellectual development than a language that is broken down or fragmented(PIDGIN english or Patwa).

Patua = broken French, mostly.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Princek12(m): 2:15pm On Sep 27, 2011
globexl:

True. But I don't think that the parents have to speak pidgin English to the child or teach the child pidgin English, as pidgin English is not a formal language that requires tutoring. I think that the child should learn his or her native language at home and take it as an elective in school at the appropriate time, learn standard English in school, and learn pidgin English by associating with people on the streets or through other informal means. I don't think it is necessary to forbid the child from speaking pidgin English under all circumstances.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Igosun: 2:40pm On Sep 27, 2011
Speaking it wont do them ANY good.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by globexl: 2:51pm On Sep 27, 2011
Princek12:

True. But I don't think that the parents have to speak pidgin English to the child or teach the child pidgin English, as pidgin English is not a formal language that requires tutoring. I think that the child should learn his or her native language at home and take it as an elective in school at the appropriate time, learn standard English in school, and learn pidgin English by associating with people on the streets or through other informal means. I don't think it is necessary to forbid the child from speaking pidgin English under all circumstances.

I partly agree with you.
But must understand that as parents, it is necessary to forbid kids from doing certain things , otherwise they would asume such to be the norm.
Children are easily influenced by their environments. They would most likely show a preference for the use of pidgin english simply because, pidgin english follows no rules and requires no discipline in its grammer. While it is inevitable that they would come into contact with pidgin english, it would be an easy way out for a lazy minded child ,if the parents do not take strong stand against it.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 27, 2011
My primary school in Benin City forbade the use of pidgin English. I remember pupils being punished, and fined if they were caught speaking pidgin, even in the playground. The fine was little, between 2 - 5 kobo then, but it was effective. My secondary school followed the same trend, though it was not enforced out of class (break time).

My parents never spoke pidgin to myself and my sisters, and our native language was spoken to us by our grandparents, when they came to visit. We couldn't speak pidgin back then, even if we wanted to, though we could understand it perfectly.

A lot of my friends don't speak pidgin either, I find that a lot of my old friends that spoke pidgin from childhood, tend to dilute their regular English. It also shows in written English too, whereby the little things that make all the difference, can go against you. Job applications, official emails etc. I think there's a major difference between speaking pidgin from childhood, to doing so in later life. Everyone has a different concept, in terms of what's right for their children. I choose not to encourage my children to speak pidgin, and that's a decision both myself and my wife have taken. It worked well for me as a child, I have no regrets with the choices my parents made back then. I would rather my children spoke English as a first, and our native language next. No pidgin.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Princek12(m): 3:09pm On Sep 27, 2011
globexl:

I partly agree with you.
But must understand that as parents, it is necessary to forbid kids from doing certain things , otherwise they would asume such to be the norm.
Children are easily influenced by their environments. They would most likely show a preference for the use of pidgin english simply because, pidgin english follows no rules and requires no discipline in its grammer. While it is inevitable that they would come into contact with pidgin english, it would be an easy way out for a lazy minded child ,if the parents do not take strong stand against it.

I completely disagree with you. Or perhaps, I guess I must be from a different planet, then. I grew up concurrently learning Yoruba at home, learning English in school, and learning pidgin on the street. I speak all three fluently, and I understood the rules of grammar perfectly. As a child, I quickly learned to separate and not confuse the languages, for I thought of pidgin as a slang and thought of standard English as formal. I went on to study chemistry and law from a top university in the United States and did well in arguments. I got good grades both in my undergraduate studies and graduate studies. In addition to pidgin English, I speak and write English and Yoruba fluently, and I am currently writing a book, to be published simultaneously in Yoruba and English. Exposure is the key, my friend.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by promire2004(f): 3:10pm On Sep 27, 2011
Princek12:

Thank you very much. My parents taught my siblings and I how to live a balanced life. I have friends who grew up in England and whose parents categorically barred them from speaking pidgin English or their native language. Their parents sent them to England so that they can speak "good English." We, on the other hand, grew up in Nigeria and were allowed to speak Yoruba at home, but we were sent to a private school where we were taught very well and spoke only regular English. We learned pidgin English by speaking it to traders in the market and to other people who cannot speak it regular English.

Now, many of my friends who thought it is badge of honor to speak only language are envious of our ability to speak all three languages fluently, while they can speak only one fluently. I am also a proud graduate of law and chemistry from a top university in America. I now speak Yoruba, pidgin, or my posh English accordingly and at the right occasion. Bottom line is that diversity is good, so your kids won't be like all these unexposed kids who can only adapt to one environment, which is typical of many of our kids today, especially Nigerian kids born and raised in the diaspora.
yeah, u're right. One fact about us (nigerians) is that we are just wannabes. We want to speak, dress, walk and act like the western world, and in a bid to achieving this, we tend to abandon some of our values. Surprisingly, most of these foreign expatriates here in 9ja dig our much despised "wafarian pidgin english" swag, by communicating with it. They even go about exploring our delicacies. (for example, owo and starch). Sounds weird and ridiculous but it is just the fact.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Princek12(m): 3:12pm On Sep 27, 2011
promire2004:

yeah, u're right. One fact about us (nigerians) is that we are just wannabes. We want to speak, dress, walk and act like the western world, and in a bid to achieving this, we tend to abandon some of our values. Surprisingly, most of these foreign expatriates here in 9ja dig our much despised "wafarian pidgin english" swag, by communicating with it. They even go about exploring our delicacies. (for example, owo and starch). Sounds weird and ridiculous but it is just the fact.

I am right about what? What do you mean? Anyway, I agree with you that our pidgin English is the envy of many countries.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Family Section's World Famous Leapling (CHAIRCOVER) / Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside / Sex During Fasting For Christians (RCCG)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.