Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,300 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? (12552 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Teach Your Kids To Drive Before 15(pics) / Is It Wise For A Woman To Give Her Husband Part Of Her Monthly Salary? / Subliminal Messages Hidden In Disney Cartoons That Our Kids Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nancy2016: 12:03am On Jul 01, 2016
sholasys:
Why would i denial my kid not to speak pidgin English? both does not disturb each other and as a matter of fact i know when and whom to speak English to and also pidgin. Am very fluent in both and if i want to be posh, i can do that perfectly and eloquently. Some time i do speak broken to my kid. All get their benefits. As far as you are a Nigerian or you are in Nigeria you need it. In fact an American Expertriate  was saved from kidnapping in Phc bc he spoke pidgin English to them (dough he married  Niaja lady).

Your whole writeup is full of errors, from the first sentence to the last. This just proves that pidgin English is not good for kids. You need to improve on your grammar and spelling.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nancy2016: 12:10am On Jul 01, 2016
bitchcrafts:
Do you know how much it took me (time +resources) to understand pidgin and mother tongue and be fluent (@least when writing) at it? If yo Nigerian in Nigeria, teach your child that language the society is identified with. Don't be a victim of urbanization that "detraditionalizes" everything. A standard school should teach that young mind all the standard English you envisage IMO CC Nancy2016

Even teachers make grammatical errors, especially those who teach in mushroom schools. I speak English and French, and they have helped me progress in life. I picked up pidgin English in secondary school. You speak to me in pidgin English and I respond in English. We will both understand each other. This will be the same for my kids. Reading through some of the posts on Nairaland I can see the negative impact pidgin English has on the English language.
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nancy2016: 12:13am On Jul 01, 2016
Siena:

Patua = broken French, mostly.

It's "patois"
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by bitchcrafts: 12:17am On Jul 01, 2016
Nancy2016:

Even teachers make grammatical errors, especially those who teach in mushroom schools. I speak English and French, and they have helped me progress in life. I picked up pidgin English in secondary school. You speak to me in pidgin English and I respond in English. We will both understand each other. This will be the same for my kids. Reading through some of the posts on Nairaland I can see the negative impact pidgin English has on the English language.
Swiri, personally I throw cautions to the winds while trying to be cheesy online, so maybe what ya see isn't actually what it is (maybe not anyway) IDK. But make sure yo kids are able to speak their mother tongue well, it haunts later. Nothing bad in being a polyglot, means ur brain could instruct your system to live different cultures as you switch languages ; Super Human, Don't rid your kids the opportunity . Tu comprends?, Je parle la langue Français aussi smiley
Re: Is It Wise To Allow Our Kids To Speak Pidgin English? by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 01, 2016
Why would I teach my kids pidgin English when I can speak British English fluently?

Most children that speak pigin English are from a home where their parents are semi-illiterate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Family Section's World Famous Leapling (CHAIRCOVER) / Nigerian Girls Forced Into Prostitution In Cote D’ivoire-pics Inside / Sex During Fasting For Christians (RCCG)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.