Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,559 members, 7,812,815 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

How Do People Survive In Nigeria? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Do People Survive In Nigeria? (20671 Views)

You Want To Survive In Lagos: 17 Things You Must Not Do. / Why Do People In The Diaspora Come Back To Nigeria To Settle When They Get Old? / Six People Survive From Road Accident In Awka (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by schoolboymatt(m): 6:33pm On Jun 05, 2023
Tourist123:
I landed Nigeria yesterday from the US after 2years of Japing. Nothing seems to have gotten better, things have become very worse! How exactly do people live here in Nigeria? So many people begging you for money. Gosh, I can stay in this country for longer than 3 weeks. I can’t! I just cant!!!
The cab i took from the Airport to my apartment charged my 13k for a 35 mins drive It got me wondering how civil servants with families survive in this country considering how expensive things have become and salaries are constant.

An average civil servant earning minimum wage won't dare take a cab that cost that much...you probably took an uber,

be sincere, how much would it have cost in where you came from?

this is not a rhetorical question.
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by frozen70(f): 6:36pm On Jun 05, 2023
Tourist123:
I landed Nigeria yesterday from the US after 2years of Japing. Nothing seems to have gotten better, things have become very worse! How exactly do people live here in Nigeria? So many people begging you for money. Gosh, I can stay in this country for longer than 3 weeks. I can’t! I just cant!!!
The cab i took from the Airport to my apartment charged my 13k for a 35 mins drive It got me wondering how civil servants with families survive in this country considering how expensive things have become and salaries are constant.

Continue to dey show off

So you came back after two years, non of your family members came to pick you up from the airport

Not even your sibblings

Dey play

1 Like

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Father4all: 6:37pm On Jun 05, 2023
Opurumiri:

You're a bloody attention seeker! Why not get in the next available flight to where you came from. Mugu!!!!
why the insult?
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by nedekid: 6:49pm On Jun 05, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

they walk down the street and catch PUBLIC TRANSPORT... just like poor people do anywhere else in the world, when they go to airport.
Omo, when last did you enter public transport in naija? Just forget it. I did today. Guy, people are suffering. I went to clinix to do some test, left home 5am.
Left the vehicle at clinix premises, and met up with a fellow to go to Berger at Apapa. Tried Uber and bolt, non agreed to go. I entered korope, the Nissan version of coaster, Volkswagen bus, finally bike, the rider was an aboki fellow riding as if demons were after him. I had to be begging him. Nna, the older you get, the harder your bones heal, not to talk of loosing a limb.
It was not a nice experience jare.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Olowosaudi(m): 7:05pm On Jun 05, 2023
Hmm. If you have chosen to go live in a foreign country as a second class citizen and face all Kinds of limitations, its your choice bro. The US you take as paradise is where we go for holiday with ease and come back to make good money here in Nigeria. Tell DAVIDO, Wizkid, Burner Boy, you can Don Jazzy, and etc to Japa and you listen to their responses on why they will prefer to live in their own land and be recognise as someone important.

1 Like

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Edoziesmart(m): 7:25pm On Jun 05, 2023
sukkot:
dont be deceived, every nigerian has 50k. the man begging you for money is only begging because he does not want to spend his own. cheesy
You are lying.
I can bet my ball that more than half of Nigeria citizen above 18 don't have up to 50k in their account.
I'm talking from experience as a traveller.
I mean people are really suffering and living in abject poverty.
How do you expect a family man that earn less than 50k a month to boost of 50k in his account. Someone that is in deep trenches.
Damn!

Same goes to rural areas. The poverty rate in most rural areas mostly north are nothing to write home about🤦
Guy help someone (mostly people you know in real life) that is desperate in need if you can afford to give out the requested need.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Goddyrichie(m): 7:29pm On Jun 05, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Why do you guys hate hearing the truth

I also noticed the same things the OP was complaining about when I visited Nigeria in December, and i can bet that things are worse now with the subsidy removal.

That means I'm an attention seeker, too, for me to have been able to make the same observations

Una problems as Nigerians no get any solution at all.
bro some people are destined to suffer in life even though they see a way or true to stop they’re suffering they won’t go to d way 70% Nigerians like suffering a lot

1 Like

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Goddyrichie(m): 7:32pm On Jun 05, 2023
MT:

Just the same way you are surviving where you came from. How much does a 35mins drive cost in the States?

We are not beggars, and the people have been surviving without you around. Leave today and you wont be missed.

I hate all these threads where people turn abroad to an earthly paradise. Crawl back into the cave you came from. Lot of people are working here modestly and far better than you. Dont be delusioned!
maybe u talking about d politicians or d people that benefit from d government let’s stop pretending as if we no Dey suffer
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Goddyrichie(m): 7:38pm On Jun 05, 2023
okoroemeka:
hmm,dey there,don't let the Nigerian facade confuse you,this is a fertile ground for business,you may live in America but a trader in onitsha or nkwo nnewi will have more capital,investments,properties than you,even small scale business women have money,every problem in Nigeria has a group that is benefiting,last two months it was POS people,last month tomato sellers,now it is fuel marketers, tomorrow maybe cement dealers or dry fish dealers.
and u happy about that abi
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Goddyrichie(m): 7:41pm On Jun 05, 2023
sukkot:
dont be deceived, every nigerian has 50k. the man begging you for money is only begging because he does not want to spend his own. cheesy
not everyone person like me na #70 Dey my sterling bank #20 in my Opay 24 yrs guy o wey dey hustle day and night day in a feed mill company and security man at night in a filling station I live everything to God

2 Likes

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Goddyrichie(m): 7:45pm On Jun 05, 2023
Blaze14k:

Bro lemme clear in case you think you are talking to someone who is a novice to foreign land. When i was in the United Kingdom its by choice to be poor. You can easily get a job you want that can pay at least 8 pounds per hour. There are so many africans who work pay there school fees and still got to school. Being poor in uk is by choice.

Lemme be frank with you, you can travel anywhere you want just for 1 pound a day and that is very cheap. If you like you do a week plan or a month or a year, they call it student oyster. Dont let anyone deceive you that people are poor overseas.
bro u like to waste ur time se suffering Dey 80% Nigerians blood they will find a way to defend they’re government that make them suffering while they’re children are in d same abroad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by OChimex: 7:46pm On Jun 05, 2023
MrBrownJay1:

A) i have never lived in Nigeria (unless long holidays)
B) i am just giving you PROPER STATISTICS and certainly not "he say she say" personal opinion
C) again, many people in the US aint addicts nor illegal immigrants and still barely living paycheck to paycheck, and cant afford basic necessities of life. its even WORSE in the US than Europe, because at least some countries in Europe have a very strong social service system (compared to the US). a jobless 18yr old French citizen will receive money from the gov to survive (even if he hasnt paid a kobo in taxes), a US jobless 18yr wouldnt receive a kobo.
D) many people cant get a decent job because of the amount of legal/illegal immigrant taking up these low pay jobs.
E) many people in the US are broke because of the exacts same low financing car/house/Iphones etc notes you are talking about (That they cant afford)
F) addiction is NOT part of the poverty i am talking about, nor the CNBC video i just posted, if you had watched t, you would have understood that the poverty in the US that everyone is talking about must be from a different country than the US you are on about.
G) ANYONE WHO LIVES PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK AND CAN BARELY AFFORD BASIC NECESSITIES (while living on credit) ARE POOR PEOPLE ON PAPER...regardless of what you believe. credit card debts and bad/low credit score is a sign!
H) just because i can go to the US today and find a job DOES NOT Mean i cant be broke and/or still poor in the US.

FINALLY, the fact that you believe that there is no poverty in the US (unless by choice) makes me truly believe that you obvously dont know much about the US/Europe or you are just one of those Africans who landed, found a low paying job that paid 10 times what you were making in Nigeria and suddenly believed you were rich (or that everyone in the US is). i can take you today to some entire neighborhoods in Atlanta/Miami, LA and you will see nothing but poverty and ghettos (and drug addicts dont rent the houses/apt there). go check Liberty City, Overtown, Opa Locka in Miami and tell us it isnt rampant with poverty. some people in NY can only afford shitty dumpster apts that i wouldnt even let my worst enemy live in. NO POVERTY IN THE US....yeah right!

This guy, you are deluded. Very deluded. Poverty in America is a choice.
Lazy, drug addicts. Who don’t wanna work.
There is jobs everywhere that can pay your bills.
Again, poverty is not being able to afford basic necessities.
Poverty in America is self made.
You are so delusional.
No legal migrant in America is in poverty.
He talks about lazy people who doesn’t want to work and want to waste their life.

Oga, anybody who wants to work and make money can find job and work.

Joke. You just dey google things they put here they shout.

2 Likes

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Tourist123: 7:53pm On Jun 05, 2023
You’ve never been here so you don’t know how worse things have been over the years so stfu!!
Samantha124:
You were born and raised in Nigeria and you only left for two years, but now you're already acting like you left Nigeria for 20 years with your nagging.. grin grin grin

Get off your high horse and face reality... You're busy asking how Nigerians survive as if you don't know... I've never been to Nigeria before, but I don't see myself ever asking such a question even if I do visit one day because already nairaland has given me an idea of some things to expect when visiting the country.

2 Likes

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Tourist123: 8:06pm On Jun 05, 2023
beejaay:

just two years outside the country and you are already like kingkong....pele tie oooo ara ilu ebo.. abeg quick go back, we sef no want you here
people like you are reasons why Nigeria is how it is. You are suffering and smiling. What the fu…ck do you mean by 2 years? Do you know what I have achieved in 2 years been in America? Do you know how much I have saved? I pity you. 2years to you in this hell fire called Nigeria is just yesterday but to me that has been in a sane country, 2 years has been a long time because I have achieved alot.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Tourist123: 8:10pm On Jun 05, 2023
MoneyMustBMade:
You won't understand this op until you leave Africa, then you will understand his view
exactly. Most of them are blind as fuckkkk. Some are saying just 2 years, as if 2 years was yesterday. Do you know how much I have saved in 2 years? Do you know how my quality of life has increased in 2years? I have even gotten way fatter, me that used to be skinny like a broom stick. They are suffering and smiling without knowing

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jun 05, 2023
You need to get off your high horse and STFU..🤣🤣🤣
Tourist123:
You’ve never been here so you don’t know how worse things have been over the years so stfu!!
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Tourist123: 8:20pm On Jun 05, 2023
Father4all:
why the insult?
he is a frustrated person that has no hope of leaving this dog on country.
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Tourist123: 8:22pm On Jun 05, 2023
schoolboymatt:

An average civil servant earning minimum wage won't dare take a cab that cost that much...you probably took an uber,

be sincere, how much would it have cost in where you came from?

this is not a rhetorical question.
probably 13$ minimum wage is $15per hr. 13k in Nigeria is 43% of MONTHLY MINIMUM WAGE. Do the maths

2 Likes

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by MrAmbrose(m): 8:23pm On Jun 05, 2023
Being a Nigerian is truly very hard. cry
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Tourist123: 8:25pm On Jun 05, 2023
Samantha124:
You need to get off your high horse and STFU..🤣🤣🤣
stfu please. You don’t know how much ppl are suffering here .
You shouldn’t be commenting on threads like this because You can’t relate!! I dare you to come to Nigeria for a 2 weeks vacation. Ozuor

1 Like

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jun 05, 2023
Okay, let me mind my business then.

But did you finally manage to get some security guards to protect you? grin grin grin
Tourist123:
stfu please. You don’t know how much ppl are suffering here .
You shouldn’t be commenting on threads like this because You can’t relate!! I dare you to come to Nigeria for a 2 weeks vacation. Ozuor
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Tourist123: 8:32pm On Jun 05, 2023
Samantha124:
Okay, let me mind my business then.

But did you finally manage to get some security guards to protect you? grin grin grin
none of your f*cking business. Come see for yourself
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Titogbanski: 8:36pm On Jun 05, 2023
The damage was done in 2015.
It can only get worse, except for miracle
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jun 05, 2023
Come on, I'm just asking you a friendly question.. grin grin grin
Tourist123:
none of your f*cking business. Come see for yourself
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:38pm On Jun 05, 2023
OChimex:
This guy, you are deluded. Very deluded. Poverty in America is a choice.
Lazy, drug addicts. Who don’t wanna work.
There is jobs everywhere that can pay your bills.
Again, poverty is not being able to afford basic necessities.
Poverty in America is self made.
You are so delusional.
No legal migrant in America is in poverty.
He talks about lazy people who doesn’t want to work and want to waste their life.

Oga, anybody who wants to work and make money can find job and work.

Joke. You just dey google things they put here they shout.

you talk like a proper African immigrant who just got off the boat... i guess in your world, because you landed in a big city and got a low paying job where you can wash dishes, flip burgers or clean floors for 10$ an hr, it means anywhere/everywhere in America there is abundance of work, lol! i guess the 40m Americans who are unemployed today and/or who can barely survive on their yeye low paying jobs, are lazy abi? the millions of GAINFULLY EMPLOYED PEOPLE who live in their car because they cant afford an apt/deposit etc are lazy abi? there is many people in the US who have a job yet live in their car, KAI!!!!

but hey, lets do the math: family of 4, you make $10+12/hr working 40hs per week in your low paying jobs, so thats roughly $2k monthly after taxes (and i am generous) $24k per yr income in the US...AND YOU WOULD BE CONSIDERED BOTTOM OF SOCIETY aka POOR, especially in expensive cities like NY, LA, San Fran, Boston etc....same in Europe like Paris or London!

...and just because some families can survive on such low income by renting apt/house 2hs away from your job, living in accomodation that looks like dog house while eating mac & cheese day and night, does NOT mean that you aint poor. same with yeye people who are taking loans to get a fancy house in a fancy neighborhood while driving a fancy car to pretend they aint poor,while living in bondage to these financial institutions (AKA REMAINING POOR FOREVER).

the below is rampant in the US....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Fdrj3U6Mc

2 Likes

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by edungene7: 8:39pm On Jun 05, 2023
Opurumiri:

You're a bloody attention seeker! Why not get in the next available flight to where you came from. Mugu!!!!
You are a big cow so people should not say the truth about what Nigeria has become thunder fire u dia

1 Like

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Tourist123: 8:47pm On Jun 05, 2023
Samantha124:
Come on, I'm just asking you a friendly question.. grin grin grin
I don’t have a security detail but I am currently in a police secured 5 star hotel. I have a personal driver that drives me round town anytime I am going out. He was well recommended. I don’t stay later than 6pm outside. I also try to blend in buy not wearing expensive clothing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by AllKnowing: 9:02pm On Jun 05, 2023
OChimex:

😂 people in Europe/US catch public bus not because they are poor and can’t afford a car. They do that because of convenience, like lack of parking space and they do no want to drive long distance/ or not wanting to leave their car long enough at the airport.
There is no poverty in Europe and US. Anyone who is poor is by personal choice or illegal immigrant.
But Nigerians are subjected to poverty by fire by force by their leaders and it’s heart breaking.

Even homeless people (people whom drugs have destroyed) dress better than most normal people in Nigeria going on their daily business

Delusional much?

1 Like

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jun 05, 2023
You and MechanicMike would make great friends... grin grin grin
Tourist123:
I don’t have a security detail but I am currently in a police secured 5 star hotel. I have a personal driver that drives me round town anytime I am going out. He was well recommended. I don’t stay later than 6pm outside. I also try to blend in buy not wearing expensive clothing.

1 Like

Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by PerfectStranger(m): 9:20pm On Jun 05, 2023
Legendguy:

You cant cos landlord cant offer such.
I have a room to be staying with me, how much will u pay me?
Drop your contacts let's chat privately or you send me a DM on WhatsApp (number on my signature)
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by PerfectStranger(m): 9:21pm On Jun 05, 2023
drLammy:

Search Jiji for shared apartments around Yaba or Akoka
You may get for within 30k
30k for a month?
Re: How Do People Survive In Nigeria? by MechanicMike: 9:22pm On Jun 05, 2023
Tourist123:

angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

UAE Lifts Visa Bans On Nigerians / Memorial University Newfoundland, Canada / Travelling To Benin Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.