Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,641 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) - Satellite TV Technology (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (347632 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-to- Air Satellite TV [part 3] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (85) (Go Down)

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by NashFTA(m): 7:55am On Aug 15, 2008
@Arsernal1 and Linksman,
Thanks to you all, FTA gurus!
Last night I entered the parameters 11185/H/05696 for the Globecast Africa (Eutelsat W3A). And guess what? It works!!
I have been watching Olympic games on that bird. This morning, the games were live from 4.00 GMT. Better still, I am using a 65cm offset dish with a 0.3dB LNB (type/model = "starmax"wink and the signal strength and quality is over 70% - and better than that of all the other channels on that satellite. I am located at latitude 36 East (East Africa), just "beneath" the Eutelsat W4 satellite.

@enitan2002,
Your photos and set-up looks great. You could also try the following tips to extend your power backup time:
I have a UPS (rating, 500VA) which uses a 12V sealed (maintainance-free) rechargeable battery. This can only keep a computer or 14 inch TV working for less than 5 minutes if there is a power interuption. So I modified the UPS and now I can use it for 4-5 hours with the same TV plus the FTA receiver. What I did is to replace the 12V,7AH small internal battery with a 12V,40AH external battery (the sealed type). And it works perfectly incase of power blackouts. I leave the UPS system connected to the mains and when the power comes back, the UPS recharges the big battery within 6 hours.
All the best.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by justx24(m): 8:10am On Aug 15, 2008
@all

This is weird, just a blink and the forum is hot again. Thank you all grin grin grin.
Forget me not, i live here.

justx24.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by mide2008(m): 8:16am On Aug 15, 2008
@toxnaija,
Olympic football matches is on the following fta channels: kuwait sport, dubai sport, aklass, AD sport, saudi sport and aljazeera sport 1 & 2 all on nilesat. On C band go to TV Mozambique on intel 904 for all nigeria matches.
@Azeezbaba
your receiver is not dead yet since it still displays the four dotted lines when powered on. There are two options you can apply to wake up your receiver. the first option is to get strong 4653x that is working and make stb to stb transfer. In doing this you should be on generator and ensure that the Rs 232 cable is a working one. the second option is the use of a computer. you will need to download the original software of srt4653x from strong technologies site as well the strong loader from the same site. with the help of rs 232 cable and strong loader you can transfer the software into the receiver and it will come alive. I can help with the srt4653x software and the loader if it is needed. The first option is less cumbersome, i bet you go for that. You can give me a call so as to guide you through the process immediately you lay your hand on a working receiver 4653x and a working rs 232 cable. my number is 08064986976.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by shanumark(m): 8:23am On Aug 15, 2008
Just my thinking. isint it time somebody puts all of this suggestions on FTA on say FAQ? It will save us all the stress of having to ask same questions over and over again. All the dish settings, codes, frequencies etc.

Help your Naija people, you sabi say we're very patient people smiley
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by mecussey(m): 10:27am On Aug 15, 2008
Azeebazeba, I stay in lagos; let me tell you what to do, dowload original Strond software, its about 850kb; also download the loader and transflash with RS232 from your PC. Its very simple, the decoder is not dead yet.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Mustay(m): 10:59am On Aug 15, 2008
shanumark:

Just my thinking. isint it time somebody puts all of this suggestions on FTA on say FAQ? It will save us all the stress of having to ask same questions over and over again.

that doc is usually updated
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by twinstaiye(m): 11:10am On Aug 15, 2008
Nash-FTA:

You could also try the following tips to extend your power backup time:
I have a UPS (rating, 500VA) which uses a 12V sealed (maintainance-free) rechargeable battery. This can only keep a computer or 14 inch TV working for less than 5 minutes if there is a power interuption. So I modified the UPS and now I can use it for 4-5 hours with the same TV plus the FTA receiver. What I did is to replace the 12V,7AH small internal battery with a 12V,40AH external battery (the sealed type). And it works perfectly incase of power blackouts. I leave the UPS system connected to the mains and when the power comes back, the UPS recharges the big battery within 6 hours.
All the best.
@Nash FTA,
Please email me, I need to make more inquiries on this.
azeezbaba:

@mecussey
I have tried STB-STB but it didnt work. My installer told me i need to get the same model of SRT 4653x (070) as my own before i can do STB-STB.
It still brings light. When i switch it on, it will display the four dotted lines and goes off almost immediately thats what it does. where are u located? am in abuja.
@azeezbaba
Since you are in Abuja, take the Decoder to MYTV office, they will reinstall the software for you for a token. I had done this in the past. If you cant do that, take it to neighbourhood centre, ask your way around, they will do STB-STB for you and it will work just fine.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by graciousme(f): 11:58am On Aug 15, 2008
@all

please how do i get the full channels on ART,i have just the sport channels and the non English channels,they have more than that? the same goes for pehla too,

thanks your help will be highly appreciated.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Gangsta101(m): 12:05pm On Aug 15, 2008
Hi everyone

with respect to azeezbaba's receiver problem, we all agree it is not dead, but getting it to work is the problem now, all the suggestions offered have been tried by people with similar problems in the past with results, but Azeezbaba, do u have the necessary cable, i know either you or your installer has the 9 - 9pin rs232 cable, but if you are goin to use the laptop to reciever option, then u would need a 15 - 9 pin rs 232 cable, but so u have that or do u know someone that has one? i noticed the usb to serial cable used by starcomms desktop modem has a 9-pin output, you can try that and see. getting the necessary software is not a problem, go to the stong technology site at www.stong-technologies.com if u have internet access. all the best.

Nash-FTA

that's a really good one, pls just confirm for me that u are using a standard desktop UPS (something like the one in enitan's picture). i've been wondering how to get UPS that could work off a standard car battery without burning off the charging circuit, so all you are saying is that i should just switch the batteries and i'll be good to go? i know these batteries usually require about 8amps of current to charge, but that does not mean they cannot use less than that, the only danger is to the 'charger, since these batteries have very little internal resistance, the tend to draw large amounts of current from the 'charger', so if it isn't sturdy enough, it will just burn up. but if you have been able to do that, pls let me know so i can do the same.

BigJoe,

a few posts back, you said something like ", the good thing about this forum(thread) is that it makes a guru out of anyone that visits it regularly", that, i have to say, is the Gospel truth. i still remember my first post less than a year ago, then the thread was about 5 - 6 pages long, i had heard a lot about keys and what they would do to coded channels (looking back now, most of them were just myths), i read through the entire thread, thought about what people were saying, and came back and asked some questions, since, then i have gotten much better and much more knowleagable, i mean i am no Enigma, but i definitely am not ignorant about FTA.
why am i saying this, just to buttress the point bigjoe is making about people needing to read thru this thread before asking any questions. the thread is now 52 pages long, but the fact is that most of the content is just a lot of talk and repitition, but there are definitely precious gems of info within. it is almost unfair to ask someone to go back and read everthing that has been posted just to get info, but the truth is, it is  people taking this shortcut method of getting info that has made the thread this long. reading thru the entire thread will almost certainly answer any question anyone has, and provide the person with even more info in the process. i wonder if Twinstaiye has been able to find a way to apply stickies in this forum or is it that this forum does not support it.

PS: People, check this strong decoder out http://www.strong-technologies.com/frmProdDetails.aspx?id=189, unfortunately it seems to only be available in australasia, it wouldn't be bad to get one.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by NashFTA(m): 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2008
@Gangsta101;
The type of UPS I am using is "Powercom", model "Black Knight, BNT-500VA". You may visit the following website to read about it and also download a PDF brochure on its specifications: < http://www.powercom-ups.com/products/ups.htm >. I have attached a photo of the UPS here.
Specifically, the battery I am using is 12V, 35AH sealed lead acid battery. All you need to do is replace / switch the 12V,7AH internal battery of the UPS with the external one. You will require connecting cables of 6mm thick stranded insulated copper wire to minimize power losses during recharge and usage. Note that you should not load to the UPS an appliance requiring more than 80 watts of power. Otherwise the UPS internal transformer will overheat!!! A standard modern 14 inch colour TV should draw about 60 watts; and an FTA receiver atmost 20 watts. When the battery voltage goes below 11V, the UPS will warn you of eminent shutdown. However, that will be about 4 - 5 hours later. This type of UPS has a large charging transformer. I have used it for the last 18 months without any problem. Maybe other types (with internal transformer) may work too.
Nice weekend.

Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by NashFTA(m): 3:51pm On Aug 15, 2008
@Gangsta101,
Just forgot to inform you that the "Black Knight" UPS which I have just described is a standard UPS used with desktop computers. It does not heat up if you follow the simple procedure I have described.
Cheers
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 4:24pm On Aug 15, 2008
@ all
so much don happen here oh! i was following the forum through my phone everyday and i cant help laughing.
well, onye u react do much.
@ tox
u made so many sacrify in this forum that u urself cannot even see it.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by memento: 4:52pm On Aug 15, 2008
@nash
pls it will help a lot if you could post the pix of your converted UPS. Especially the connection with the external battery. Thanks.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 5:08pm On Aug 15, 2008
mecussey:

Azeebazeba, I stay in lagos; let me tell you what to do, dowload original Strond software, its about 850kb; also download the loader and transflash with RS232 from your PC. Its very simple, the decoder is not dead yet.

this i should ve said earlier,for everyones information!
[b][/b][i][/i]the fake strong receiver in market today is many,they all look alike that it take an inteligent dealer to no the difference.plz all, when buying strong receiver open it if u didnot see a paper indicating satellites receivable in different part of naija dont buy cos its fake.most times the sellers dont even know the difference.before now we use colour to know the differences, but there's a new fake receiver in the market that is exactly the same colour with the original.
         so if u happen to have problem with any of this fake receivers forget about repair.i solve problems with strong receivers everyday for me to conclude this way.
       Azeebazeba, ur receiver is fake so forget about it ,if some of u can remember one of my post concerning this problem u ll notice that there was no mention of success.
      beleive me,most of us here who buy strong recently re enjoying the fake products cos the importation of this fake product out-numbered the original product.the worst thing about this fake products is that it is not manufactured by a particular pple rather ther're more than 5 different products manufacture in china.
    the first time strong-technology notice this,they sent representatives to various satellite shops in ph,then they were using original mytv strong softwares to check for the fake products but now even the fakes accept the original software well well.
    for precaution in ur strong receivers,mostly fakes cos they re unrepairable:  never allow ur coaxil cable(signal wire or cable wire)to bridge together.and always turn off ur receiver while connecting wires.
      if u ve any problem cocerning strrong receiver dont bother to call me.i mean any case

software problems
                      loose of signal
                      power failure
                      rebooting
i ll help solve ur problems to the best of my knowledge free of charge.
     if u re having password problem with ur strong receiver plz enter this code and it ll default.

enjoy!
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 5:11pm On Aug 15, 2008
shanumark:

Where in Port Harcourt can one get the satellite finder?

since u re in ph why not call me and i ll get it for u.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by shanumark(m): 5:15pm On Aug 15, 2008
is it possible to have all the various codes posted here, please please please.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 5:28pm On Aug 15, 2008
@ vickoy
             u can receive ghana tv well only with at least 80cm dish.

@ all
     there was this guy that mentioned something about hitv old smart card,plz hitv happen to get problem that made them lost contact with all those first set of card sold,but remember that the maximum subcription sold was 1yrs so they ve no other option to ignore those old card till hitv ll be at least 1yr and some months,then they ll upgrade their new system and all those unknown card will stop working.

@ mr gem
              how body?

if u ve motorize dish in south watch suderland v liverpool live on tvt @ intel 906 moreso there's a new channel in that satellite 9x freq 4171H/03960.
                                                                                                     enjoy!
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 5:36pm On Aug 15, 2008
shanumark:

is it possible to have all the various codes posted here, please please please.

i just spoke with u now,the only code u need now is 6969 for etv.codes re mostly needed for people using nilesat and c-band.
that's remind me b4u movie dosnt open immediately with new strong so u ve to input the keys.kbs world has upgraded from biss to xcrypt.so the only key available in c-band for now is for etv and sabc and b4u movie.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by babaegun(m): 8:06pm On Aug 15, 2008
toxnaija:

Onye_ngbu,
Apology accepted by me but not the board of gurus.You need to pay the fine of pounded yam and oha/egusi coupled with palm wine before we let go.Besides,come along with 7 bags of igbo kolanut,and new yams,7 goats,10 gallons of palm oil,and N100000 in 7 days.I had to beg them to reduce the items to the list you have now or else you for run for cover.The list would have included 10 Nilesat dishes,10 Strong X series receivers,10 Fuji lnbs,and 10 beautiful Ibo virgins for the bachelor gurus.They know themselves sha.Make I no start another katakata for the thread.Please give me a call.

@toxnaija
Sorry, the list is not complete oooo. You forgot to include 2 ghana-must-go bags filled with Coconut plus 2 tipper load of kanna (eko agidi). You forgot am an egun man. wetin. I no dey chop oha or egusi soup ooo. grin i be proper Egun man.

@ all

You guys are doing a great job with this forum. I say a very BIG thank you to all the gurus in the house. Keep up the good work.
I wish I can also add a thing or two now but am on vacation in Badagry. Expect my contributions in October when i return. Pardon me.

Cheers
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by Gangsta101(m): 9:14pm On Aug 15, 2008
Nash,

that's an unbelievable amount of detail. thanks a lot, i appreciate it. ur decoder appears to be similar to mine, i'll definitely try and hook myself up with one of those batteries next week, and switch the batteries and see. by the way, do know how to disable that annoying beep that is always there in the background whenever the ups is running, i was thinking of just punching the damn speakers or something, cos there's nothing as annoying as that constant beep. once again, thanks for your post, i am certain i am not the only one interested in it.

Shanumark

apart from the standard 6969 which opens up locked channels for which u already have the keys inputted, u also need to know 8282 which brings up the key edit menu for your standard dec keys, and also 8280 (which anyone hardly uses), which brings up the key edit menu for BISS/DCW  keys, but then again these are not really 'codes' are they?

Pitodenz,

Bro, e be like say u know just about everything with respect to strong decoder, men, that is super.

'Comrade' Jesu de

how far with ur attempts at recieving nilesat, any luck yet?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by toxnaija: 9:23pm On Aug 15, 2008
all,
thank God the Nilesat professor,Mide2008 has finally resumed after a long sabatical.I hope he does not get pissed off again.Welcome back.

Nash-fta/Enitan,
thanks for the info on the Globecast Olympics feed on w3a.see wetin you don cause with the ups.after my grammar katakata,it is now ups instead of fta.
Enitan should get a generator now,or else we at the board will expel him for his Ijebulogy though he is a strong member of the board.

Pitodenz,
thanks for your compliments and the info on 9x on intel906 C-band.It calls itself India's premier HDTV ready English news channel.Visit the website for programme schedule and other infos-http://www.9xtv.in/ Good for lovers of Indian films.

all,
new station on Intelsat 10 c-band>>>>COLORS owned by Viacom,owners of MTV/VH1,freq. 4034 Horizontal 20500.//www.colorstv.in/
the Sunderland/Liverpool match is the grade c free match for terrestrial viewers.
Enitan just told me that STV2 on NSS7 KUband is partnering with other Francophone stations like TeleCongo,RTB,ORTM,RTS,etc,to show 5 premiership matches per week.Please check the stations throughout tomorrow to verify.Also report on all the stations picking the European leagues especially the Globecast feed.I am sure this assignment will help us all.Where are you-Enigma,F-Marshal,badaru1,etc?

Baba egun,
welcome back to Lagos.I will include your list in Onye's fine.how about meeting you?you fit catch me on LTV news Tuesday and Friday evenings 7,8,10pm before mid-September.

Graciousme/all Nilesat users,
I am happy you eventually got how to input the keys manually.
I have put the lists links on this thread in the past.But I will repeat it for the last time now just for you.
Showtime-www.lyngsat.com/packages/showtime.html   ART/PEHLA-www.lyngsat.com/packages/add.html
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by graciousme(f): 9:40pm On Aug 15, 2008
@pitondez

hi bro,i was able to put the keys but the ART channels on 11.881ghz/H and 11.804/H have low frequency,the signal quality is low,i spoke to my installer about it and he said i should change my LNB to Fuji LNB,at a price of 5000,i want to be sure of the price but thats the least of my concern though,my major concern is that;will the signal quality increase with the Fuji LNB?
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by graciousme(f): 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2008
@TOXIE

hey you,how are you doing? thanks for your post.i get only the 11.958 H,and 12034 H
channels,the other frequencies have low signals,do you think the fuji lnb will help? be cool!!
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by toxnaija: 10:50pm On Aug 15, 2008
Graciousme/Nilesat users,
I have also posted this,time without number, that Fuji Lnb is the strongest coupled with Strong X series receiver.It sold for N2500 at Alaba market,Lagos in May 2008.I heard it is cheaper in the North.I am sorry I wont entertain enquiries on overstressed topics again.Please check through all Mide2008,badaru1,and my past posts on Nilesat,and you would not need the services of your installer anymore.You now see why some of us get tired or pissed?Nowadays,I am being careful not to be insulted again.Please bear with me.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by pitodenz(m): 9:57am On Aug 16, 2008
graciousme:

@pitondez

hi bro,i was able to put the keys but the ART channels on 11.881ghz/H and 11.804/H have low frequency,the signal quality is low,i spoke to my installer about it and he said i should change my LNB to Fuji LNB,at a price of 5000,i want to be sure of the price but thats the least of my concern though,my major concern is that;will the signal quality increase with the Fuji LNB?

am in ph and i dont ve access to nilesat like badaru and tox,is not like i dont install it but it has been long i ve access to one.badaru or tox or any nilesat user can help.fuji lnb is the best as they say but my experience and experiment told me that pauxis lnb is better but u ve to cut the bottom,but as i said it has been long i ve access to one.

@ tox
while not post how the current art keys can be manually input again,am getting calls from nilesat users on how to input the keys or better they them where to put the 08,05,06,10,20 or whatever the current keys come with.dont tell them to go tru the previous posts this time.plz help bro.thanks man.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by biggjoe(m): 8:49pm On Aug 16, 2008
People, We are still waiting to hear which FTA channel is transmitting the premiership.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by mecussey(m): 12:45pm On Aug 17, 2008
For those who wants to swap UPS battery, pls make sure that your UPS has a 3 stage charging system; otherwise the charger will fry. Modern UPSs are built with 3 stage charger, if yours is old; buy a charger or a 15V DC power supply. I was thinking may be Seun should creat a science and Engineering thread. I wanted to ask chemical engineers some questions. If dilute tetraoxosulphate vi acid expires or decays? i.e H2so4; it is an eletrolyte to the batteries, which you must watch over before it dries up, otherwise your battery will be dead soon. I have some I kept for about six months now; I don't know if it is still good to put in my battery. Warning, H2SO4 in a charging battery evolves hidrogen gas, which is highly inflamable and explosive in reaction with oxygen. Please, do not bring naked flame close to your batteries. Keep the battery 10meters away from your electric sockets.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by MrGem(m): 3:44pm On Aug 17, 2008
@ll
CONGRATULATIONS to all Nigerian Team Football lovers, both at home and in diaspora.

@pitodenz
Thanks for your technical supports both offline and online.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by gofitech(m): 5:40pm On Aug 17, 2008
@all

to all premiership lovers. there is a west african beam of Eutelsat w6 at 22.6e. ku band. the beam according to lyngsat does not cover nigeria but i was able to get . freq: 11653v 15714sr 11669v 2480sr the station is 2M from morocco. they show one premiership per week. this week is fulham v arsenal on Saturday at 5.30pm

however i did not try it with 90cm dish. i only rotate my 2.4m dish to get it. but the signal is very strong. i got 80% quality on strong decoder. i believe 90cm should get.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by gofitech(m): 5:51pm On Aug 17, 2008
for more clarification my no is 08033308593
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by badaru1(m): 7:01pm On Aug 17, 2008
@ gofitech

That channel has been there 4 long,sometime when it is time 4 the match,the channel will be blocked. The keys are biss it works with strong,it doesnt change always.
Re: Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) by graciousme(f): 11:37pm On Aug 17, 2008
toxnaija/pitodez

thanks guys,pardon me,its just that am new to FTA,i will try and read the previous posts.thanks anyways smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (85)

Q-SAT: QUEEN OF SATELLITES? / All About Multi Tv Free To Air On Astra 2b / All about IKS Decoders(Qsat, Speed HD, Azsky)POWERVU BIS & IPTV boxes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.