Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,873 members, 7,828,111 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! (38115 Views)

Why Do Job Applicants Tell Their Recruiters This? / Ekiti State College Of Agriculture And Technology Job Applicants Let's Meet Here / Why Do The Majority Of Job Applicants Never Get Hired? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by dmaze: 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2023
Happened to me.

Don't listen to people here trying to tell you otherwise or that it doesn't happen. The OP is very right.

You see, LinkedIn, you need to be very careful. I got an invite to build a Financial Model from a company that looked very legit.

I spent all my energy, through the weekend building this financial model, then proceeded to submit.

Till date, nothing they refused to acknowledge my mail,even when I sent reminders. They also called me with a number, when I called the number it was switched off.

You need to do your due diligence on LinkedIn and be very careful with companies posting certain kind of jobs. DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by IbnIbrahim: 7:51pm On Jun 17, 2023
Laird:
Many Years Ago
Okonjo Iweala said a lot of Graduates are unemployable

I disagreed with her

Having been on both sides of the table

She wasn't wrong

The smartest migrate or are snapped up by Multinationals and high paying and high earning companies in critical roles of which Nigeria already had a high poverty and poor purchasing power problem so most companies are not.in that league

Some dont have soft skills or interview skills or job
Schools to are not optimised to produce high ranking students

The companies And organisations that earn billions and pay high like Mobil, Shell, Seplat ,NNPC , CBN, NPA cannot employ every single Nigerian graduate

The rest companies are left to pick from the candidates

Some times some candidates are a diamond 💎 found in the rough

Sometimes some companies are a diamond found in the rough as in good management and good staff treatment.

That explains everything

The purpose of a company is to create goods and products and services that customers would pay for and keep coming back to repurchase

All employees are to work to achieve that aim and paid from the revenue pool as the company would also pay other bills like machinery, Internet, advertising, stationery, electricity etc

An interesting experience I had during the covid period was that many so-called graduates can't even find their way around using Zoom platform for a virtual interview, it was so frustrating that I had to resort to doing phone interview.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:56pm On Jun 17, 2023
Ofadaman:

A lot of things goes into finding the right candidate and it's just certificate or experience, most applicants don't even know it's a lot of work to organize a successful interview. It takes money and time, and months. Why would a company steal your idea lol, from an applicant? , You guys are really living in your own world and need to come out and say hello to reality

HR people and looking for "the right candidate".
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by thegrinch(m): 8:01pm On Jun 17, 2023
integridad:
Dear Applicants,

Do you know that there is a new trend with companies especially these small scale "One man businesses"

Companies schedule interviews with people they have no intention hiring, They take advantage of frustrated job seekers, ask them questions usually around business development to steal their ideas.

Job seekers who went through pain or spent a lot, some even borrowed to arrive at the interview venue.

This is very wrong, NLC should look into this exploitation

Most Nigerian jobs posted on LinkedIn are fake, companies do this to create publicity and a faux appearance of growth,

Applicants beware!!

If you ever attend an interview like this, please visit this post and tag the company.

I don't know how this made it to Front, But Nigeria will remain small because of people and posts like this. Everybody started small, but we never support small businesses.

I'm waiting to see one person who will tag your post and mention a company that has done any of the above listed. If nobody does, then shame on you OP, and shame on whoever brought this to Front Page.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by thegrinch(m): 8:03pm On Jun 17, 2023
dmaze:
Happened to me.

Don't listen to people here trying to tell you otherwise or that it doesn't happen. The OP is very right.

You see, LinkedIn, you need to be very careful. I got an invite to build a Financial Model from a company that looked very legit.

I spent all my energy, through the weekend building this financial model, then proceeded to submit.

Till date, nothing they refused to acknowledge my mail,even when I sent reminders. They also called me with a number, when I called the number it was switched off.

You need to do your due diligence on LinkedIn and be very careful with companies posting certain kind of jobs. DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE.

If you're sure it happened to you, then post the name of the company. If E sure for you, post am.

Plus you are not an applicant. you are a vendor. You didnt do due diligence. Na you f.up... assuming it happened.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Laird(m): 8:04pm On Jun 17, 2023
Microwhy:

You later agreed with her, having been on both sides but your subsequent submission lack total correlation with one another..
Only God understand what you intend to say..

About Nigeria

1) The public educational system is generally poor resulting in a major pool of not so quality trained employees

2) The bad Government, bad economy, low purchasing powers due to corruption, misappropriation and misallocation of resources, poor electricity, high cost of doing business etc results in fewer companies and organisations and Government agencies that can pay premium wages so there are so many graduates looking for very few premium jobs and you have few premium jobs + plenty low quality graduates

3)
Private companies need to generate income from the goods and services and products they produce or sell so everyone's realistic and practical idea would be taken even if it is a competitor or a new employ or interview candidate.

I have written an email of some of my ideas to Jeff Bezos before to use for his charity ( for him to develop artificial limbs research for people without hands and legs and limbs. I don't know if he used it.
I have also been asked during an interview with a Health Insurance Company if I can bring business from a particular section of the country ( I was not being interviewed for a business or marketing role)
Everybody steals ideas. Musicians sample and remix or retwist other people's songs. Footballers copy or improvise on other footballers moves

4) People looking for.jobs without the option of
a) high in demand skills to migrate/Japa to better countries or
b) having a plug/connection to link with the few premium competitive highly sought after juicy government or private sector jobs

C) Having exceptional intelligence to have to enter multinationals or rare skill areas

would have to buckle up to rough it out and try to improve their lot
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Laird(m): 8:12pm On Jun 17, 2023
IbnIbrahim:

An interesting experience I had during the covid period was that many so-called graduates can't even find their way around using Zoom platform for a virtual interview, it was so frustrating that I had to resort to doing phone interview.

A lot of people don't know employing In Nigeria is like sifting through a whole sack of of rice looking for a needle.
Some employees ghost on interviews, ghost on resumption, don't bring their CV, don't bring their certificates and credentials for interview or when applying claiming employer wants to use their certificate, some don't know the barest minimum in their field, it's a jungle out there.
I have had a Multinational reach out to Me on my CV and credentials and certificates I submitted a year back and forgot about
Many candidates don't know some companies keep a candidate pool in case the need arises
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by ONNYX: 8:13pm On Jun 17, 2023
Lannister360:

Point of correction, I didn't manage, I graduated well. Every so called experienced person you find today was once inexperienced and also passed through the same university with irrelevant theories, they only got to where they are today because someone gave them a chance, if these people where asked to present a 50 years experience back then how will they have gotten to where they are today?

There are no opportunities out there for fresh graduates, every HR is looking for experience, even on entry levels they will still be asking for 50 years experience.

You see what I mean!

You are bitter with the system. But trust me, the system is perfect. It's what we feed it that we get out of it.

You have to chose properly who your fight will be directed at. No HR person owes you a job.

They have their own issues and the biggest problem any HR has is finding the fright fit for a role. I will have you know that in some organisations the career progression of a HR personnel is directly dependent on his/her ability to fill roles with the right personnel. You then think he would jeopardize his career so that you get a job?

Go get your experience some how. If the position requires "50" years experience then there is a reason for it.

Companies are set up for profit. They are no charities. They reserve the right to select the very best candidates for a role. They do not owe you or indeed anyone else a training or experience gathering opportunity. They need to make profits and are thus bound to hire only those who can provide the relevant experience that will enable them attain their corporate objectives.

And by the way, you will not be given a chance if you don't grab it. Nigeria is a great cash cow and fertile beyond your wildest dreams. If you can't see that much then it's nobody's fault.

Finally Sir, "graduating well* in the Nigerian context means getting a good grade. In the real world it means so much more.

I hope you benefit from this typing effort. I am only trying to point you in the right direction and not seeking an elongated argument.

Cheers!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Oxfordgrade: 8:17pm On Jun 17, 2023
uuzba:

There's a day I entered a ride to work.
The driver picked up other passengers and we were all there stuck in traffic jam.
One lady was complaining about her sales work.
One guy beside me told her to stop complaining. He was a northerner guy.
After UNI, he saw that nothing was happening in the north. He just closed eyes and came down to Lagos.
No where to sleep. He went and slept in one kind roadside beer parlour/car park place.
Night and morning he will wash the cars of those beer parlour men that came to park there, whether they pay or not.
That's how one of them noticed him and asked him to follow him.
Oga gave him driver work. From there to head of logistics.
Guy managed himself, rented house, later bought land, married wife.
-
I don't know what else to say.
I will not tell you what to do. Just take your actions wisely.
I and the northen brother grace are different; I don't think you will expect a family man like me to undertake such risk.

1 Like

Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Uniquekriss(m): 8:25pm On Jun 17, 2023
Ofadaman:

You've spoken well, there are good and bad employers and there are good and bad applicants and employee. But I'd tell you what I've learned is that no man is a tree planted to remain at one spot ,and I've also learned to measure people's worth by their value/risk and responsibility. The man who brings the most value, bears the most responsibility and risk ,should get the most reward.

If you find yourself anywhere that your shot changed you should move ,it's simple as that
then the question becomes, how do people measure values especially the employers. Some people may want to say that those who use more strength, are out in the field, do all the dirty stuff are the ones doing the job, but it's wrong, I feel that was what that my temporary CEO had in mind, thinking that the person whom he calls to say "go and get me this and that" is the one doing more work that was why he wanted to exploit me by saying I should manage the department and put up a structure forgetting that being a manager or a supervisor requires more of experience, attitude, years of followership, brain work, emotional intelligence, tact and will, possession of certain soft skills, certifications and other trainings that energy and Waka-waka cannot fetch you, it goes beyond being there to run errands, it about being creative and bringing ideas that would move the organization forward, having the professional ability to manage risks and mitigate challenges and all these do not have anything to do with strength or availability.

1 Like

Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Stoicful(m): 8:28pm On Jun 17, 2023
integridad:
Dear Applicants,

Do you know that there is a new trend with companies especially these small scale "One man businesses"

Companies schedule interviews with people they have no intention hiring, They take advantage of frustrated job seekers, ask them questions usually around business development to steal their ideas.

Job seekers who went through pain or spent a lot, some even borrowed to arrive at the interview venue.

Most Nigerian jobs posted on LinkedIn are fake, companies do this to create publicity and a faux appearance of growth,

Applicants beware!!

If you ever attend an interview like this, please visit this post and tag the company.
CWAY Abuja. The Chinese man was just asking about the process my previous employer was using so as to better their own process and at the end of the day, they didn't hire me.

Mamuda Kano too, the QC manager was just asking stuffs about my previous employer too because we use the same KRONES machines, asking about recipe etc.

Thunder fire them. I'm in a better place now.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Lannister360: 9:01pm On Jun 17, 2023
ONNYX:

You see what I mean!

You are bitter with the system. But trust me, the system is perfect. It's what we feed it that we get out of it.

You have to chose properly who your fight will be directed at. No HR person owes you a job.

They have their own issues and the biggest problem any HR has is finding the fright fit for a role. I will have you know that in some organisations the career progression of a HR personnel is directly dependent on his/her ability to fill roles with the right personnel. You then think he would jeopardize his career so that you get a job?

Go get your experience some how. If the position requires "50" years experience then there is a reason for it.

Companies are set up for profit. They are no charities. They reserve the right to select the very best candidates for a role. They do not owe you or indeed anyone else a training or experience gathering opportunity. They need to make profits and are thus bound to hire only those who can provide the relevant experience that will enable them attain their corporate objectives.

And by the way, you will not be given a chance if you don't grab it. Nigeria is a great cash cow and fertile beyond your wildest dreams. If you can't see that much then it's nobody's fault.

Finally Sir, "graduating well* in the Nigerian context means getting a good grade. In the real world it means so much more.

I hope you benefit from this typing effort. I am only trying to point you in the right direction and not seeking an elongated argument.

Cheers!

You said " Go get your experience some how ", I think that is exactly what I'll do, since they expect job seekers to magically manufacturer experience, then I'll manufacturer one for them. Rubbish.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Cromagnon: 9:16pm On Jun 17, 2023
integridad:
Dear Applicants,

Applicants beware!!

it your idea is so good why are you looking for job
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Cromagnon: 9:16pm On Jun 17, 2023
integridad:

- 'to steal their ideas'
means I'm writing about job applicants who are intelligent.
Later one wld discover that the ideas or solutions that was shared by an applicant is being used or implemented by the company. That is intellectual theft and being done to job seekers makes it more debasing.

dud they sign a non compete? Then it's not theft
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Alexbio: 9:16pm On Jun 17, 2023
Ofadaman:

The truth is bitter but whatever makes you sleep well at night, I'd tell you one thing for free, I've never heard of a company that goes through months of recruitment to steal ideas from applicants. You guys are living inside your own head, if the ideas are so great why don't they just sell it, patent or give limited info. You'all should wake the f* up

You sound defensive and complacent, your expression shows you have little understanding about this subject matter. I have seen instances where companies eg. Sales and Marketing, investment, fintech, micro finance and the likes especially these infant ones invite experienced job seekers (most especially the ones seeking to change their current jobs) not because of primary intention to employ them but to access their practical experience acquired over the years as information and guides via interview questions of which they could have paid consultancy fee for else where infact sometimes some of them will ask their invitees to submit soft copies of business development strategies of all kinds as it may be required via email or video presentations. That's why in most cases in this regards they usually keep records of all the interviews for a reference purposes thereafter. For your information this is part of business development strategies most upcoming firms engage in their business obligations in case you don't know. Be properly guided, pls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by OyinO: 9:17pm On Jun 17, 2023
A yeye con3 where investors and pastorpreneurs build expensive church auditoriums instead of building manufacturing cottage industries only to ask dumb worshippers to pray for unavailable jobs.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by fawaz050(m): 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2023
Ofadaman:

Stop this hearsay and tell me one idea or one job seeker you know whose idea was use by the business?.

Someone close to me was once hoodwinked with this format. She was asked to prepare a Confidential Information Memo 📝, which is a hard thing normally. They sent her an impossible offer after pressuring them for feedback.

They offered her a small sum for a job role listed from A-Y, weekends inclusive. We know they just sent it to put her off. So we declined the offer.

But she did the Memo so well that they were even saying they are considering testing her with another work. I thought she was the only one o. Until I saw this thread tonight.

1 Like

Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by severee(m): 10:00pm On Jun 17, 2023
integridad:

grin see e mouth,why not join the NLC and fight against this "exploitation"?
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by dmaze: 10:43pm On Jun 17, 2023
Don't mention me, then become aggressive.

Am I spoiling market for you or you are ONE of those people WHO does this on LinkedIn for DIFFERENT COMPANIES?

Your aggressiveness gives you away.

Everyone reading this. DON'T FALL FOR THESE COMPANIES SCAM. THEY ARE PLENTY ON LINKEDIN.

Think about it, what am I to gain coming here WARNING YOU ABOUT COMPANIES WHO ARE OUT TO SCAM YOU.

After this incident, I doubled checked every so called company on LINKEDIN.

A WORD IS TRULY ENOUGH FOR THE WISE!!!

Plus, don't quote me aggressively next time; learn some manners.

thegrinch:

If you're sure it happened to you, then post the name of the company. If E sure for you, post am.

Plus you are not an applicant. you are a vendor. You didnt do due diligence. Na you f.up... assuming it happened.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by erico2k2(m): 11:41pm On Jun 17, 2023
integridad:
Dear Applicants,

Applicants beware!!

There is nothing like the narrative you described above, upgrade yourself in whatever field you are into and see how you get rushed. If you think its easy to open a business and employ people who aint realistic, try open one yourself.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by 4KNGOATS(m): 5:19am On Jun 18, 2023
Ofadaman:

One of the angry applicants spotted, I ask again tell me which business stole idea from a job applicant and used it?.. all this he say, she say ,beer parlous talks from senior applicants of Nigeria (SAN)
You no go shut dat ur stupid mouth for dia abi? Anyways I no blame you
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Psalmistproject: 5:54am On Jun 18, 2023
Ofadaman:
Most jobseekers aren't good enough for the job, no employer is frustrating them, this way of thinking is what makes applicant find ways to justify their incompetence ,instead of looking for ways to upskill and do better at interviews they find ways to throw the blame at the employers, just to feel good about themselves. Most of them will respond positively to this post as a way to confirm their bias and feel good about themselves.

Oga what are you even saying?! You must be one of those inconsiderate employers. You'll invite one for interview, waste their time indiscriminately under the guise of evaluating their patience level, no clear professional standardized test, then after you display shamelessness by quoting ridiculous compensation plan for the work.

Nigerians have what it takes, they're determined. The problem lies with employers lacking professional hr skills trying to be one.

1 Like

Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by naturefellow(m): 6:33am On Jun 18, 2023
Ofadaman:

Stop this hearsay and tell me one idea or one job seeker you know whose idea was use by the business?.
use this one hold body... https://twitter.com/mysidebrief/status/1457508863226355712?t=ydTOJ8SEtJT_3th_Xa8YXg&s=19
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by ONNYX: 8:08am On Jun 18, 2023
Lannister360:

You said " Go get your experience some how ", I think that is exactly what I'll do, since they expect job seekers to magically manufacturer experience, then I'll manufacturer one for them. Rubbish.

You are taking this the wrong way. Everything boils down to your attitude. I assure you that if you were in the shoes of the employer you would do exactly the same.

Employers seek solution providers. They are not training schools. At some point in their evolution if it becomes expedient they can set up a training facility that will provide them with the right pool of human capital. I assure you that this effort only results from a failure in the educational system.

Shell at some point had to set up a Graduate Training Facility just because what the universities were churning out was sub-par. For those who participated in such programmes they can testify to this.

If you are honest with yourself you will relate with the following; During the NYSC camp experience you will recall meeting some graduates and then wondering if and how they went through a tertiary education.

Bros, employers are struggling seriously to get the right candidates and they have to resort to varied options to attract the very best. One of these is to get people already prepared to hit the ground running as a result of having gained experience in a similar role.

If you really want a job then an interview session is a platform for you to sell your abilities and not to come and profess how fast a learner you are. That should already be a given for a good graduate.

During the week I was trying to recruit a junior Accountant. The three most qualified candidates were brought to my office all of them with shining First degrees. Non of them could use MS Excel beyond the rudiments. They had not taught themselves how to use any of the more popular accounting softwares. All three claimed they were 'fast learners'. So I will employ Accounting graduates and teach them how to use of intermediate Excel. It's alright. I settled for the fifth candidate who incidentally has no degree but an ATS. He is however very well versed in MS Excel, Save, QuickBooks and Zoho Books. To crown it all he has 3 years cognate experience working in a similar role within this same industry. Two days on board and nobody has a doubt that this was the best decision.

What would you do in my shoes.

2 Likes

Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Karlifate: 9:49am On Jun 18, 2023
fxexperts:
Please do not always generalized, maybe if you have not experinced it before dont give fallcy of hasty generalization, there have to be some guidline of some sort for some of these companies conducting interviews. i agree with you that most Nigerians graduates are unemployable but that cannot be generalized. I have been a victim of what OP posted above it happened in 2019 when i applied for one job online the company was in Ikoyi lagos and at that time i was working in Delta state. I was working for the Nigerian National Petroleum Development company as a contract staff at that time and when this company contacted me for a job they asked for my expected salary. i gave a figure and they asked why i wanted to leave the NPDC and i told them i am a contract staff, so the said the role is for a full-time staff and then i told them my expected salary surpassing over N20million per Anum they agreed i decided to take the bath for an interview with them. Few days before the interview the sent me a proposal to do a bidding for a contract they were chasing from my company NPDC that was the first red flag. Their recruitment officer called me back some days why i didnt submit the first interview test, and i told him i could smell a rat and he tried to convince me that i can create a dummy company name to do the bidding that they were just trying to test my skills around bidding and that was going to be my main job when i resume with them and i told him their are other ways you can find this out and not by asking me to do a real time bidding for you.

So they invited me for the interview without me doing the bidding stage, i took excuse from work for 2 days took flight to lagos one to get and i found at that this dirty company is a one man company without any foundation base trying to break into the oil and gas sector and all the guys working there including the one who was calling me all this while were just little kids fresh out of school with no experince.

I kept my cool had a interview session with them and their foolish MD, only for him to start asking questions around the proposal scope and anytime i give any figure around the scope he will ask his errand boys to write it down, when he ask for cost around some of the equipment if i mention the range he will ask them to write it down. then it dawns on me that this man wants me to do a bidding for them for free.

I can't believe that after the interview the MD still ask me to do and submit the first stage which is the bidding stage before i leave that was when i shouted at the useless boys working for him, that something is wrong with their head.

Also, when i first heard the company is in Ikoyi i was impressed but when i went to their office i observed that they shared the same office space with a hundred more companies, which means they just rented an office to scam innocent job seekers.

Couldn't get anything from them not even a thank you for coming money.

I couldn't believe I wasted my money and time just to do some free jobs for one useless man. Here is the fucking address of the company and the useless guy that called for the job.

TIMILEYIN ALABI,
DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR

IPMC Limited
18b, Olu Holloway Road
Ikoyi
Lagos State.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Karlifate: 9:49am On Jun 18, 2023
Oyerinde16:

It's the job of a company to employ and train, most Nigerian graduates are trained to be flexible and ready to adapt...

Lazy companies want already made... They want a millionaire to come and turn thier dead company around, yet they want to pay stipends...

I have dealt with so many company in this category... I tell you I can do this and that,.I tell them I have connection to this and that, I also tell them I can bring this deal and that deal... Some interviewee had to call thier Gmd, they wondered why someone like me will be looking for job... But I told them I wanted to start with a new company due to my exit from my former oils servicing company...

They quickly organized a special interview where I negotiated a fat salary, the employed me in, I requested for 3 months to familiarize and start bringing in deals... They agreed, I requested I will only come to work 3rise a week, they agreed, all they were after was the big deals I promised them...

I collected 6 months fat salary, flew first class, and exited the company...

LMAO! 😂😂
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Lannister360: 10:02am On Jun 18, 2023
ONNYX:

You are taking this the wrong way. Everything boils down to your attitude. I assure you that if you were in the shoes of the employer you would do exactly the same.

Employers seek solution providers. They are not training schools. At some point in their evolution if it becomes expedient they can set up a training facility that will provide them with the right pool of human capital. I assure you that this effort only results from a failure in the educational system.

Shell at some point had to set up a Graduate Training Facility just because what the universities were churning out was sub-par. For those who participated in such programmes they can testify to this.

If you are honest with yourself you will relate with the following; During the NYSC camp experience you will recall meeting some graduates and then wondering if and how they went through a tertiary education.

Bros, employers are struggling seriously to get the right candidates and they have to resort to varied options to attract the very best. One of these is to get people already prepared to hit the ground running as a result of having gained experience in a similar role.

If you really want a job then an interview session is a platform for you to sell your abilities and not to come and profess how fast a learner you are. That should already be a given for a good graduate.

During the week I was trying to recruit a junior Accountant. The three most qualified candidates were brought to my office all of them with shining First degrees. Non of them could use MS Excel beyond the rudiments. They had not taught themselves how to use any of the more popular accounting softwares. All three claimed they were 'fast learners'. So I will employ Accounting graduates and teach them how to use of intermediate Excel. It's alright. I settled for the fifth candidate who incidentally has no degree but an ATS. He is however very well versed in MS Excel, Save, QuickBooks and Zoho Books. To crown it all he has 3 years cognate experience working in a similar role within this same industry. Two days on board and nobody has a doubt that this was the best decision.

What would you do in my shoes.

In every 3 experience graduate a Company hire, there should be at least one inexperience graduate, that way there will be a balance, the problem is that, Companies don't even employ anyone that does not have experience unless I'm special cases where the person is connected.

There is no opportunity for those without experience, they don't even get invited for interviews, they are advised not to apply at all since they do not have the job experience. How can they sell themselves if their application is trashed immediately it is submitted? How can they sell themselves when they are not invited for interviews? You are an HR now with some job experience, imagine if you were constantly being rejected when you first started as a fresh graduate, how will you have the experience you have today? There should be a balance please, like I said, out of every 3 experienced candidate, there should be at least 1 inexperience candidate. Imagine after spending 5years in the University and graduating with a 2.1 in Engineering, after 5 years of toiling and sleepless night reading, I even spent about 400k just to learn how to code, I did it for so long that I got very good at it, but still no job, I just do some freelance projects that doesn't pay well, I'm now learning a trade from an illiterate just to survive, this experience thing is just very frustrating
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Ofadaman(m): 1:42pm On Jun 18, 2023
Psalmistproject:

Oga what are you even saying?! You must be one of those inconsiderate employers. You'll invite one for interview, waste their time indiscriminately under the guise of evaluating their patience level, no clear professional standardized test, then after you display shamelessness by quoting ridiculous compensation plan for the work.

Nigerians have what it takes, they're determined. The problem lies with employers lacking professional hr skills trying to be one.

Ask yourself, if I'm an employer why would I waste valuable time interviewing people, don't I have better things to do that to call people just to embarrass them, you need to wake up and take responsibility . You don't know how hard it is to organize interviews
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Ofadaman(m): 1:48pm On Jun 18, 2023
fawaz050:

Someone close to me was once hoodwinked with this format. She was asked to prepare a Confidential Information Memo 📝, which is a hard thing normally. They sent her an impossible offer after pressuring them for feedback.

They offered her a small sum for a job role listed from A-Y, weekends inclusive. We know they just sent it to put her off. So we declined the offer.

But she did the Memo so well that they were even saying they are considering testing her with another work. I thought she was the only one o. Until I saw this thread tonight.

Most jobs require technical and skill based interviews ,it'd because applicants have learned to about their capacity hence the need for competency based testing , yet applicants now think interviewers are stealing their ideas or using them to do their work. Jokers.
Is the stress really worth it?, You think they can't get proposals or call for ideas in and pay those people off, or is it the days to one week test that generate ideas that changes a business ?.. if the ideas were so great or you have all it takes. Why don't you they open their open businesses or become consultants
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Psalmistproject: 1:51pm On Jun 18, 2023
Ofadaman:

Ask yourself, if I'm an employer why would I waste valuable time interviewing people, don't I have better things to do that to call people just to embarrass them, you need to wake up and take responsibility . You don't know how hard it is to organize interviews

So why did you say MOST job seekers are not employable since you can't evaluate them? You people should be considerate. My problem is your choice of word MOST. In each of the fields requiring employment in this country, study has shown an overwhelming turn out of qualified applicants the challenge is limited slots and the compensation package.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Ofadaman(m): 1:53pm On Jun 18, 2023
Alexbio:

You sound defensive and complacent, your expression shows you have little understanding about this subject matter. I have seen instances where companies eg. Sales and Marketing, investment, fintech, micro finance and the likes especially these infant ones invite experienced job seekers (most especially the ones seeking to change their current jobs) not because of primary intention to employ them but to access their practical experience acquired over the years as information and guides via interview questions of which they could have paid consultancy fee for else where infact sometimes some of them will ask their invitees to submit soft copies of business development strategies of all kinds as it may be required via email or video presentations. That's why in most cases in this regards they usually keep records of all the interviews for a reference purposes thereafter. For your information this is part of business development strategies most upcoming firms engage in their business obligations in case you don't know. Be properly guided, pls.

In every work place, and most interviews with reputable companies, you are required to sign an NDA to help protect both the applicant and the employer (prospective included). It takes a smart applicant to not divulge sensitive info about his current employer , I once interviewed someone for a data job and without much questions he already divulged sensitive info about his current employer, we never took him for the job.
If you divulge sensitive info and ideas, how do you expect the employer to take someone like that seriously, when they don't know when to not cross the line. A data person that should know about data protection singing like a bird because he wants to land a job.

We must understand that once you have upskilled both in skill, experiences and exposure/politics, you won't have the patience to attend interviews of unprofessional companies and you can easily walk out of processes that makes no sense.
Re: New Trend Alert!! Companies Now Taking Advantage Of Job Applicants!! by Ofadaman(m): 1:55pm On Jun 18, 2023
Psalmistproject:

So why did you say MOST job seekers are not employable since you can't evaluate them? You people should be considerate. My problem is your choice of word MOST. In each of the fields requiring employment in this country, study has shown an overwhelming turn out of qualified applicants the challenge is limited slots and the compensation package.

Most is correct, if you interview 100 applicants, 20% or less have a good head on their shoulder, it's the case for almost every recruiter and employer of labour. It's the statistics

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How My Friend Got A Job That Gave Him N5m In Just Four Months / FAAN Successful Candidate / What Salary Range Can Make You Remain In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.