Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,056 members, 7,818,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend (1968 Views)

How I Dealt With An Entitled Lady / Tariq Nasheed Mocks Nigerian Man Murdered By American Girlfriend In US / Wizkid Super Hot American Girlfriend Showing The World Her Package (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 3:33am On Jun 29, 2023
A brief background

We both live and study in the United States. She's American. Originally from somewhere in East Africa, while I'm from Nigeria. Despite she being older by a year, her beauty, elegance, and classy looks shroud her age, giving her a youthful appearance. More importantly, she's an amazing lady, sweet but inconsistently submissive. It's worth mentioning that we were in a relationship for three months before this intriguing incident took place. That being said, I need your thoughts and contribution to the following narrative.

Incident 1

The weather had been gloomy and cloudy for days, followed by heavy rainfall that persisted. Unfortunately, my girlfriend had the misfortune of getting drenched on one of those rainy days. Normally, such an experience would be fun, reminiscent of our carefree childhood days when we would willingly dance and play football in the rain. However, some of us with strict parents often get scolded, warning us about the potential risk of falling sick due to such "careless" acts.

Oh well! My girlfriend called, with rather an usual low tone voice, asking if I could give her ride to the school clinic. I inquired, she mentioned the rain stuff and her body running temperature. She booked an appointment, picked her up and straight to the clinic. Usually, once an appointment is booked, you arrive at least 15 minutes prior to get checked in. We followed the procedure and keenly waited for the doctor’s call. Hypothetically speaking, we arrived at 1:45 p.m. for a 2 p.m. appointment. However, as time went on, 30 minutes passed, and still no call, no show! I discreetly signaled her to speak with the assistant in case we had been forgotten or there was some sort of mix-up. The nurse assured us that the doctor was on the way. But as 3:30 p.m. approached, there was still no sign of the doctor. Spontaneously, I sprang up, headed towards the nurse's desk, and politely requested her to call the doctor, inquiring whether the appointment needed to be rescheduled or if there was an alternative arrangement.

The nurse asked, "sir, may I have the patient's name and school ID number?"

I immediately gestured to my visibly distressed girlfriend, who was sitting in the patient/visitors corner, to come forward and provide her information. She obliged, and the nurse made the call. In less than a minute or two, the doctor appeared, and they went straight into the office for the check-up. The examination was completed, and the doctor recommended the necessary medication. As we headed to the pharmacy, I noticed a change in her countenance. However, this time, she appeared more angry than sick.

I sensed that something amusing was about to unfold, so I mustered the courage to ask, "Babe, are you okay?" As if she had been waiting for the question, she immediately responded with a statement that caught me off guard:

"I don't appreciate people intervening for me when I'm perfectly capable of speaking for myself. None of my exes have ever done what you just did!"

For a moment, I was puzzled. Her ever-changing "code of many colors" never ceased to amaze me, but this particular statement left me off balance, as I couldn't recall which intervention she was referring to. So, I asked, "What did I do again?" With a tight and determined expression, she told me that I shouldn't have gone to the nurse assistant to call the doctor, at least not without her permission. At that moment, I realized I had unintentionally crossed a boundary. Her sudden outburst left me bewildered, trying to understand the gravity of my actions. I took a deep breath and calmly explained to her that as someone who was unwell and waiting for the doctor for an extended period, I felt responsible for speaking up on her behalf. My intention was to ensure she received the necessary attention. I also pointed out that instead of disregarding my efforts, it would have been more appreciative for her to acknowledge and respect the steps I took to assist her.

However, her anger only intensified. She uttered a barrage of words, reminding me to mind my own business the next time we were in public. She insisted that I should seek her consent before interfering in her affairs. Normally, I would have been tempted to find a place to park the car and ask her to find her own way home due to my infuriation with the absurdity of her statement. But as a gentleman, I couldn't help but grin mischievously.

Incident 2

Since the last episode of this unfolding drama, I had learned to say less in public when we were together. It wasn't because I was a "SIMPle" man, but rather because I knew it was only a matter of time before her self-egoistic confidence came crashing down. Anyways, I was playing PlayStation with my friends when she called, complaining that her laptop wasn't powering on. While on the phone, I instructed her to try a few troubleshooting tricks, but they didn't work. I suggested she come over to my place so we could try to fix it together. Unfortunately, our attempts were in vain, and it became clear that we needed to consult a technician. That's when I unleashed my alpha male mode.

Usually, over here, when you take your gadgets for repairs, you usually have to pay an inspection fee. The cost varies, but based on my experience, it's typically around $150. However, these fees can be avoided if you can accurately identify the specific issue with your computer. In that case, you only need to pay for the required service and any necessary accessories.

Knowing that the problem with her laptop was related to the battery (I was 101 percent certain about it), I decided to remain silent and let her handle the interaction with the technician. As they conversed, I observed the situation closely, suppressing the urge to intervene and save her the unnecessary cost. After the transaction was completed, we got into the car, but I couldn't hold back what had transpired earlier. I informed her that she had just wasted $150 on an inspection that could have been easily avoided if she had mentioned the exact issue to the technician.

To my surprise, my girlfriend became furious and started ranting. In response, I looked her straight in the face and firmly stated that even if such incidents were to happen a hundred times, I would still mind my own business until she learned to understand that I am her MAN, and I don't need her permission to speak up for her when necessary. Somehow, her anger subsided. I also made her realize that when we are in public, we are a team, and I am the captain. As a captain, it is my responsibility to ensure her safety and interest.

Unlike her usual defensive mode, her face softened, and her heart melted. She didn't utter a word until I dropped her off. We haven't discussed the incident since that day, but her guard was down, and she let me take the lead ever since.

Guys, what do you think?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by tooth4tooth: 3:42am On Jun 29, 2023
Patdgreat001:
Unlike her usual defensive mode, her face softened, and her heart melted. She didn't utter a word until I dropped her off. We haven't discussed the incident since that day, but her guard was down, and she let me take the lead ever since.

In real sense,women don't like men that are Lily livered around them and they will never want to let you know.
Your reaction is what she has been waiting for and you nailed it at the appropriate time. The results is the the bolded.
Correct man. You are a true definition of alpha male👍👍👍

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by libertyfather(m): 4:03am On Jun 29, 2023
This life sha, most interesting part of the story be say u dey US.....oh GOD when?

10 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by lordchiz(m): 4:08am On Jun 29, 2023
Chaiiiii.....I love the way u handled the issues

3 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by anonymuz(m): 4:18am On Jun 29, 2023
The alpha male in you soften her ego. Simple logic. Never let your guard lose when you with females. They enjoy it.

3 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 4:38am On Jun 29, 2023
tooth4tooth:

In real sense,women don't like men that are Lily livered around them and they will never want to let you know.
You reaction is what she has been waiting for and you nailed it at the appropriate time. The results is the the bolded.
Correct man. You are a true definition of alpha male👍👍👍

You bet. She is really pretty, no doubt! That gets into her head and always want me to pamper her. My actions let her realized she can't get away with her tantrums unless I want to.

6 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 4:40am On Jun 29, 2023
libertyfather:
This life sha, most interesting part of the story be say u dey US.....oh GOD when?

Lol. Sometimes forget the power that women have in the US, men need to set the pace for women to follow right off the bat.

2 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 4:40am On Jun 29, 2023
lordchiz:
Chaiiiii.....I love the way u handled the issues

Thanks my boss!!
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 4:42am On Jun 29, 2023
anonymuz:
The alpha male in you soften her ego. Simple logic. Never let your guard lose when you with females. They enjoy it.

My bro, that's the logic. Too much free pass will always lead to disrespect.

3 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Goalnaldo(m): 5:08am On Jun 29, 2023
Interesting. I love the fact that you succeeded in making her eat the humble pie. I also commend your writing skills. Top notch.

7 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Kriss216: 6:23am On Jun 29, 2023
That $150 inspection fee will get you a clean laptop here in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by JASONjnr(m): 6:34am On Jun 29, 2023
I doubt if I would've been as brave as you are.

The moment the first incident happened, the alpha in me would've woken up and I'd left her there and headed home. We probably would've settle later.

You probably understood that she came from a different cultural background and needed some new orientations to fit into the circular world. Sounded like a primitive lady that has never fallen in love and be taken care of.

Had a girl who used to give me this public attitudes. Believe it or not, it's the worse thing to experience in a woman.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by owagbeba: 7:52am On Jun 29, 2023
Patdgreat001:

A brief background

We both live and study in the United States. She's American. Originally from somewhere in East Africa, while I'm from Nigeria. Despite she being older by a year, her beauty, elegance, and classy looks shroud her age, giving her a youthful appearance. More importantly, she's an amazing lady, sweet but inconsistently submissive. It's worth mentioning that we were in a relationship for three months before this intriguing incident took place. That being said, I need your thoughts and contribution to the following narrative.

Incident 1

The weather had been gloomy and cloudy for days, followed by heavy rainfall that persisted. Unfortunately, my girlfriend had the misfortune of getting drenched on one of those rainy days. Normally, such an experience would be fun, reminiscent of our carefree childhood days when we would willingly dance and play football in the rain. However, some of us with strict parents often get scolded, warning us about the potential risk of falling sick due to such "careless" acts.

Oh well! My girlfriend called, with rather an usual low tone voice, asking if I could give her ride to the school clinic. I inquired, she mentioned the rain stuff and her body running temperature. She booked an appointment, picked her up and straight to the clinic. Usually, once an appointment is booked, you arrive at least 15 minutes prior to get checked in. We followed the procedure and keenly waited for the doctor’s call. Hypothetically speaking, we arrived at 1:45 p.m. for a 2 p.m. appointment. However, as time went on, 30 minutes passed, and still no call, no show! I discreetly signaled her to speak with the assistant in case we had been forgotten or there was some sort of mix-up. The nurse assured us that the doctor was on the way. But as 3:30 p.m. approached, there was still no sign of the doctor. Spontaneously, I sprang up, headed towards the nurse's desk, and politely requested her to call the doctor, inquiring whether the appointment needed to be rescheduled or if there was an alternative arrangement.

I immediately gestured to my visibly distressed girlfriend, who was sitting in the patient/visitors corner, to come forward and provide her information. She obliged, and the nurse made the call. In less than a minute or two, the doctor appeared, and they went straight into the office for the check-up. The examination was completed, and the doctor recommended the necessary medication. As we headed to the pharmacy, I noticed a change in her countenance. However, this time, she appeared more angry than sick.

I sensed that something amusing was about to unfold, so I mustered the courage to ask, "Babe, are you okay?" As if she had been waiting for the question, she immediately responded with a statement that caught me off guard:

"I don't appreciate people intervening for me when I'm perfectly capable of speaking for myself. None of my exes have ever done what you just did!"

For a moment, I was puzzled. Her ever-changing "code of many colors" never ceased to amaze me, but this particular statement left me off balance, as I couldn't recall which intervention she was referring to. So, I asked, "What did I do again?" With a tight and determined expression, she told me that I shouldn't have gone to the nurse assistant to call the doctor, at least not without her permission. At that moment, I realized I had unintentionally crossed a boundary. Her sudden outburst left me bewildered, trying to understand the gravity of my actions. I took a deep breath and calmly explained to her that as someone who was unwell and waiting for the doctor for an extended period, I felt responsible for speaking up on her behalf. My intention was to ensure she received the necessary attention. I also pointed out that instead of disregarding my efforts, it would have been more appreciative for her to acknowledge and respect the steps I took to assist her.

However, her anger only intensified. She uttered a barrage of words, reminding me to mind my own business the next time we were in public. She insisted that I should seek her consent before interfering in her affairs. Normally, I would have been tempted to find a place to park the car and ask her to find her own way home due to my infuriation with the absurdity of her statement. But as a gentleman, I couldn't help but grin mischievously.

Incident 2

Since the last episode of this unfolding drama, I had learned to say less in public when we were together. It wasn't because I was a "SIMPle" man, but rather because I knew it was only a matter of time before her self-egoistic confidence came crashing down. Anyways, I was playing PlayStation with my friends when she called, complaining that her laptop wasn't powering on. While on the phone, I instructed her to try a few troubleshooting tricks, but they didn't work. I suggested she come over to my place so we could try to fix it together. Unfortunately, our attempts were in vain, and it became clear that we needed to consult a technician. That's when I unleashed my alpha male mode.

Usually, over here, when you take your gadgets for repairs, you usually have to pay an inspection fee. The cost varies, but based on my experience, it's typically around $150. However, these fees can be avoided if you can accurately identify the specific issue with your computer. In that case, you only need to pay for the required service and any necessary accessories.

Knowing that the problem with her laptop was related to the battery (I was 101 percent certain about it), I decided to remain silent and let her handle the interaction with the technician. As they conversed, I observed the situation closely, suppressing the urge to intervene and save her the unnecessary cost. After the transaction was completed, we got into the car, but I couldn't hold back what had transpired earlier. I informed her that she had just wasted $150 on an inspection that could have been easily avoided if she had mentioned the exact issue to the technician.

To my surprise, my girlfriend became furious and started ranting. In response, I looked her straight in the face and firmly stated that even if such incidents were to happen a hundred times, I would still mind my own business until she learned to understand that I am her MAN, and I don't need her permission to speak up for her when necessary. Somehow, her anger subsided. I also made her realize that when we are in public, we are a team, and I am the captain. As a captain, it is my responsibility to ensure her safety and interest.

Guys, what do you think?

The relationship appears to be a daunting power play at this dating stage. I wonder what it’ll be at the “marriage stage”?

Difficult, if you ask me.

Find ya self a soul mate

4 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by TBforgive: 7:54am On Jun 29, 2023
I think you are not giving her the right sex reason why she's behaving like heavy feathered mother hen.
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by SporaD8: 8:21am On Jun 29, 2023
In response, I looked her straight in the face and firmly stated that even if such incidents were to happen a hundred times, I would still mind my own business.
I love this part! You made her understand she can't be setting-up and collapsing boundaries at her whims!
Ladies really don't know what they want.
That's why it's your responsibility as a man to guide them aright. That's also why the sight of a pushover irritates them - with a pushover, they have no chance of becoming a better person!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by WantsandMore: 9:01am On Jun 29, 2023
Patdgreat001:

A brief background

Incident 1

Incident 2

Guys, what do you think?
congratulations on passing your shit test, meanwhile Usually, over here, when you take your gadgets for repairs, you usually have to pay an inspection fee. The cost varies, but based on my experience, it's typically around $150. fr?

1 Like

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Goalnaldo(m): 9:31am On Jun 29, 2023
Kriss216:
exactly what i thought when i first saw the thread about 4am

1 Like

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 3:04pm On Jun 29, 2023
owagbeba:

The relationship appears to be a daunting power play at this dating stage. I wonder what it’ll be at the “marriage stage”?

Find ya self a soul mate

She’s an amazing lady and a potential soulmate. Knowing that she loves me, I just need to be headstrong when needed, everything else will fall into place.
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 3:05pm On Jun 29, 2023
WantsandMore:
congratulations on passing your shit test, meanwhile Usually, over here, when you take your gadgets for repairs, you usually have to pay an inspection fee. The cost varies, but based on my experience, it's typically around $150. fr?

Just to be clear, the inspection fee was for the laptop. Again, price may vary.
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 3:13pm On Jun 29, 2023
Goalnaldo:
exactly what i thought when i first saw the thread about 4am

That’s how it’s here. Approach to gadgets check-in might be different in other outlets.

Oyibo people can monetize anything. Your own sister fit ask you to pay $15/hr to watch your dog/cat in your absence.
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 3:19pm On Jun 29, 2023
Goalnaldo:
Interesting. I love the fact that you succeeded in making her eat the humble pie. I also commend your writing skills. Top notch.

Lol. My story is just one of many, but I thank God for the natural red-pill embedded in me since childhood.
For instance, from not liking to cook for “any man” to cooking tons of meals for me, down to cleaning, and other stuff.

Lastly, I appreciate the compliment. I still Dey try improve.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 3:24pm On Jun 29, 2023
owagbeba:

Find ya self a soul mate

Ok. Let’s assumed I listened to you to find a soulmate. What’s the probability of finding someone better than her? Truth is, if you ever dated someone from different culture, the tendency of you putting extra work to tweak her mentality in life is very high. Thus far, every step I took to defend my masculinity works.

I’m changing her just fine. She’s amazing!
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Goalnaldo(m): 3:25pm On Jun 29, 2023
Patdgreat001:

That’s how it’s here. Approach to gadgets check-in might be different in other outlets.

Oyibo people can monetize anything. Your own sister fit ask you to pay $15/hr to watch your dog/cat in your absence.
hmm interesting.
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Patdgreat001: 3:27pm On Jun 29, 2023
SporaD8:

I love this part! You made her understand she can't be setting-up and collapsing boundaries at her whims!
Ladies really don't know what they want.
That's why it's your responsibility as a man to guide them aright. That's also why the sight of a pushover irritates them - with a pushover, they have no chance of becoming a better person!

Rightly said!
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Goalnaldo(m): 3:33pm On Jun 29, 2023
Patdgreat001:

Lol. My story is just one of many, but I thank God for the natural red-pill embedded in me since childhood.
For instance, from not liking to cook for “any man” to cooking tons of meals for me, down to cleaning, and other stuff.

Lastly, I appreciate the compliment. I still Dey try improve.
i dey vex for you. I expected your mention much more earlier, lol. Oya post the babe pics make your online brothers judge whether she is beautiful or not. Lmao.
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by JUST2SEXZY(f): 3:43pm On Jun 29, 2023
Patdgreat001:

A brief background

Incident 1

Incident 2

Guys, what do you think?

I acknowledge the journey you have been on with your partner, and the positive changes you have witnessed in your relationship.

It can be challenging when there is inconsistency in submission within a relationship, but it seems that time and experience have taught your lady the importance of allowing you to lead and take charge. The path to understanding and harmony can be paved with obstacles, but you have persevered, and your commitment to nurturing a healthy dynamic is commendable.

Your steadfastness and dedication in guiding your relationship are worth celebrating. It takes patience, empathy, and open communication to create an environment where both partners feel valued and understood. By leading with grace and compassion, you have created a space where your lady feels secure in trusting your judgment and following your lead.

Remember, growth and transformation are not always easy, but you have remained resolute and focused on fostering a partnership built on mutual respect and support. Your resilience and ability to adapt have played a vital role in strengthening the bond you share with your lady.

Your willingness to take charge has brought stability and a sense of security to your relationship, allowing it to flourish. Your unwavering commitment to being a loving and supportive partner is quite notice.

You're leading and doing well.

1 Like

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by WantsandMore: 4:23pm On Jun 29, 2023
Patdgreat001:

Just to be clear, the inspection fee was for the laptop. Again, price may vary.
just know you've set yourself up ...
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Crystalom35: 4:57pm On Jun 29, 2023
Kriss216:
seriously.

We really can't compare our income levels. Inspection fee is any for Naija no fit pass 5h
Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by Starboytwo(m): 6:24pm On Jun 29, 2023
9ja version…

Me- hafa na boss, I no know wetin dey do this my phone? The thing self don tire me(extends phone)

Engineer- ehen, 150k for inspection.

Me- (sharply retrieves phone) Wetin happen na.

Engineer- I have to inspect what’s wrong na. Na the fee be that unless you know the exact ailment.

Me- I know na, na battery Dey do am.

Engineer- ok, (5 minutes later) bros, no be battery Dey do this phone ooo, na panel(as you can see) so Inspection fee na still 150k.

Me- oga, na Panel me and you talk for here ooo, abi you no hear when I tell you say I wan do “Panel” Infact I no do the phone again, help me couple am.

Off course na fight go end am.

2 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by owagbeba: 6:39pm On Jun 29, 2023
Patdgreat001:

Ok. Let’s assumed I listened to you to find a soulmate. What’s the probability of finding someone better than her? Truth is, if you ever dated someone from different culture, the tendency of you putting extra work to tweak her mentality in life is very high. Thus far, every step I took to defend my masculinity works.

I’m changing her just fine. She’s amazing!

I don’t always do this but the reason why I chimed in was because you sought advice on this thread. Since your mind is made up on her, I guess then you really do not need advice. I wish you all the best with your love.

2 Likes

Re: A Short Story: How I Dealt With My Independent American Girlfriend by YoungLionken(m): 6:43pm On Jun 29, 2023
Hey

(1) (Reply)

Me And My Boyfriend / How Can I Make My Man Happy? / Why Are Seemingly Intelligent Girls Often Very Rude?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.