Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,962 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge (13535 Views)

What I Saw In Akwa Ibom Made Me Built N2.5bn Ekiti Gov House-fayemi / PDP Spent N2.5bn On Presidential Poll Adverts, APC N728m – Report / Anxiety Over Cracks On N2.5bn Jonathan Commissioned Flyover In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by aljharem3: 10:14pm On Oct 05, 2011
Fashola Inaugurates N2.5bn Falomo Bridge

IKOYI—Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, Wednesday, commissioned the N2.5 billion Falomo On–Ramp Bridge.

At the commissioning of the 115-metres long bridge, Fashola explained that the project, executed in collaboration with Lekki Concession Company, LCC, under a Public Private Partnership, was aimed at easing traffic gridlock in Lagos Island.

Falomo-bridge
He said the project, which was constructed by LCC, was the first of such magnitude and specification to be built anywhere in the country.

Fashola said: ”This is a deliverable of the 30-year PPP in 2006, pursuant to which the company is already rehabilitating and upgrading approximately 50 kilometres of the Eti-Osa Lekki–Epe Expressway and will also construct 20 kilometres of the Coastal Road.

”Of the N50 billion long- term finanacing raised by Lekki Concession Company to execute the on-going works on the Eti-Osa-Lekki-Epe Expressway, a substantial portion of which represents Foreign Direct Investment into Lagos State, N2.5 billion had been used to construct the new Falomo On–Ramp, that we will all be driving on soon.”

He said the bridge would improve travel time for motorists travelling from Ikoyi from the Westbound lanes of Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue, noting that motorists would now be able to access Ozumba Mbadiwe and Adeyemo Alakija streets’ intercession.

Mr. Opuiyo Oforiokuma, MD/CEO of LCC, said the firm had undertaken the construction of many projects on concession arrangement with the state government.

Special Adviser and Director-General, Office of Public Private Partnership, Lagos State, Mr. Ayo Gbeleyi, said the bridge is among the road works that constitutes the state infrastructure projects meant to complement the ongoing contentious Eti-Osa-Lekki –epe Expressway rehabilitation and expansion.

‘’It is a clear testimony of the enormous benefits derivable from PPP where private sector resources and expertise are leveraged by government in accelerating the delivery of public infrastructure land service to the people. This is therefore just one of the many projects currently under procurement with others in the pipeline,” he added.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/fashola-inaugurates-n2-5bn-falomo-bridge/

Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by aljharem3: 10:14pm On Oct 05, 2011
Allah has bless this country with like of Fashola.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by arsenefc: 10:18pm On Oct 05, 2011
N 1 Billion per 100 meters?

Egbele ooooooo

Fashola is "thieving," Lagosians are suffering
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by ektbear: 10:29pm On Oct 05, 2011
^--

1. How much do bridges cost?
2. How much of this N2.5 billion is actually being paid by Lagos, rather than their business partner?

Without those two pieces of data, your statement is nonsensical.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by Beaf: 10:33pm On Oct 05, 2011
This bridge looks quite funny for 2.5billion.

Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by ektbear: 10:44pm On Oct 05, 2011
Who knows, maybe it even is an inflated contract.

Then we have a very interesting question to ask ourselves: why is LCC then paying more money for a bridge than they have to? Given that this bridge is essentially a business expense for them, what incentive is there for them to build it for more than it costs (thus cutting into their profit)?

But of course, typical naija mentality is to say, "Oh, someone must be stealing."

Just the same way a shop owner robs merchandise from his own store, heh.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by arsenefc: 10:45pm On Oct 05, 2011
Beaf:

This bridge looks quite funny for 2.5billion.

The money is just for the over head ramp. Falomo bridge has been there tey tey.

Anyway, the cost is exorbitant fo sho
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by Relax101(m): 11:18pm On Oct 05, 2011
For Mohammed's sake, thats an old bridge jare. wtf? 2.5billion?
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by EkoIle1: 12:33am On Oct 06, 2011
Eko o ni baje lai lai,

What's next? Ikoyi Bridge. The best and the most sophisticated bridge in West Africa.

Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by SexyBabie(f): 1:10am On Oct 06, 2011
nice job
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by Gbenge77(m): 1:16am On Oct 06, 2011
excellent.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by realborn(m): 8:01am On Oct 06, 2011
@ Post,
This is a laudable gesture and project executed by the Fashola Administration. As an ardent fan, I have been ecstatic since the first day I observed the construction works and intent about a year ago.

However, I must state that the developmental cost of N2.5B is over and above the suitable cost for this bridge. N21.73M/linear metre is outrageous. I implore the Governor to thread on the path of caution on subsequent projects irrespective of the channel or nature of funds. Accountability is imperative. The article states that the entire Lekki-Epe rehabilitation is N50B. This reinforces why the quoted amount should not be spent on the bridge.

I look forward to more solution driven projects at a competitive cost in accordance with apt tendering and procurement procedures/best practice.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by jidsoon(m): 9:11am On Oct 06, 2011
Na wa N2.5b for just 150metre bridge ? So what about 3rd mainland bridge how much will babangida use then to construct it ? my People no b small thing ooo
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by yamakuza: 9:36am On Oct 06, 2011
How is this bridge positioned wrt the bridge linking falomo with akin adeshola?

Are they one and the same? Can anyone provide pictures showing the two side by side?

Thanks!
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by stormm: 9:38am On Oct 06, 2011
jidsoon:

Na wa N2.5b for just 150metre bridge ? So what about 3rd mainland bridge how much will babangida use then to construct it ? my People no b small thing ooo

Babangida construct 3rd Mainland? No sir. Completed as in 'open' pls. Check all sources.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by Rhino5dm: 9:47am On Oct 06, 2011
Very brilliant!

[size=23pt]SAI FASHOLA 2015[/size]
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by nateevs(m): 10:04am On Oct 06, 2011
Typical Nigerians who don't read and digest before posting. Why would a private company build a bridge for more than it costs when they intend to recoup their investments in the shortest time possible?
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by otokx(m): 10:08am On Oct 06, 2011
So this bridge existed before?
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by juman(m): 10:10am On Oct 06, 2011
Probably that is not the bridge constructed for N2.5 Billion.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by debosky(m): 10:33am On Oct 06, 2011
2.5bn for an 'on ramp' bridge. . . . sounds very fishy to me.

ekt_bear:

Who knows, maybe it even is an inflated contract.

Then we have a very interesting question to ask ourselves: why is LCC then paying more money for a bridge than they have to? Given that this bridge is essentially a business expense for them, what incentive is there for them to build it for more than it costs (thus cutting into their profit)?

But of course, typical naija mentality is to say, "Oh, someone must be stealing."

Just the same way a shop owner robs merchandise from his own store, heh.

There are many reasons the contract could have been inflated - to pay off government cronies, to justify their toll charges on the Lekki Road or to serve as a pretext for hiking up the price of the Lekki and Coastal Roads and so on.

If a 115m bridge costs 2.5bn, then by simple extrapolation, a 1km bridge will cost  close to 25bn. . . .how much would a 20km coastal road then cost??
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by DAY12(m): 10:49am On Oct 06, 2011
No be d money but d done job>

9ja nor dey appreciate sha! too dey complain.

one day una go still complain why govt nor dey pack ur poo angry
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by jaja77: 11:17am On Oct 06, 2011
smiley
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by jaja77: 11:17am On Oct 06, 2011
Pic

Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by Reference(m): 11:21am On Oct 06, 2011
LCC is just not a sound engineering outfit if indeed that's their mandate. Passed by a few times during construction and wasn't too impressed. Thus I'm not surprised that its pricey. I'm sure the Berger, Ikoyi bridge will be much cheaper.

Having said that I salute their courage. PPP is a novel concept in this part of the world and raising funds remains a major challenge.

It is up to government to keep its partners in check and ensure the people get a fair deal.

The bottom line is, it is better to have expensive commercially infrastructure than to have cheap and disfunctional government alternatives or worst still none at all.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by samguru(m): 11:22am On Oct 06, 2011
Its is obvious fashola understand the plight of the masses on traffic situation and trying his best to mitigate this,as for the cost of the project,am of the opinion that the cost is exorbitant,but we can altogether test the veracity of the project cost by using FOI mechanism.
Ordinarily,the announcement of the cost to public imply that fashola is ready to defend the cost anywhere,otherwise he would not have done so.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by samguru(m): 11:23am On Oct 06, 2011
Its is obvious fashola understand the plight of the masses on traffic situation and trying his best to mitigate this,as for the cost of the project,am of the opinion that the cost is exorbitant,but we can altogether test the veracity of the project cost by using FOI mechanism.
Ordinarily,the announcement of the cost to public imply that fashola is ready to defend the cost anywhere,otherwise he would not have done so.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by bashydemy(m): 11:27am On Oct 06, 2011
Good job Fashola to those complain do you know how much it cost Obasanjo to construct Sango useless bridge and its still does not meet Faloma standard, i think we need to appreciate good goverment and good work, it take Federal more than 5yrs to contruct sango bridge and it take Fashola 1 year Kudos jare.
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by bossinie: 11:30am On Oct 06, 2011
As an experienced Civil Engr. i will construct and deliver the entire stretch of the bridge with that figure to now use the same amount to construct a walk/drive way for bikes is unbelievable shocked

I challenge the LCC and Lagos State government to a debate on the cost of this project to show that it was a conduit pipe for siphoning of State funds.I will construct this same 'ramp' for 700M!!

Again,it goes a long way to show that 'corruption' at all levels of governance is the greatest threat to our development sad
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by EEngineer1(m): 12:06pm On Oct 06, 2011
even if the price is exorbitant, fashola is the best we have got, so lets deal with it

if you can do better, join a political party and contest, remember the only reason why evil prevails is because good people sit down doing nothing
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by djustice: 12:45pm On Oct 06, 2011
I read this on facebook today, and I wept:

Babatunde O. Gbadamosi This is getting more and more ridiculous by the day! If they had to take that bridge to one kilometre, it would have cost nearly N22 billion! What on earth is wrong with Lagosians, and Nigerians in the diaspora? Why is this something that needs to be applauded?? [size=16pt]N22 billion per kilometre for a bridge?[/size] That's $136 million per kilometre, folks!!! Or for the UK people, GBP83.6 million per kilometre. How is this justifiable?
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by EkoIle1: 1:00pm On Oct 06, 2011
bossinie:

As an experienced Civil Engr. i will construct and deliver the entire stretch of the bridge with that figure to now use the same amount to construct a walk/drive way for bikes is unbelievable shocked

I challenge the LCC and Lagos State government to a debate on the cost of this project to show that it was a conduit pipe for siphoning of State funds.I will construct this same 'ramp' for 700M!!

Again,it goes a long way to show that 'corruption' at all levels of governance is the greatest threat to our development sad

Who told you state funds was spent on the project?

Btw, you can not spend just 700 mill on that project, you might as well do it for free, y'all need to slow down with rhetorics
Re: Fashola Unveils N2.5bn Falomo On–Ramp Bridge by mikeapollo: 1:27pm On Oct 06, 2011
Nonesense!
He is busy repairing and decorating roads in elitist areas like Ikoyi, VI, Surulere etc while the bulk of the masses in areas like Ikorodu, Alimosho, Ejigbo etc are neglected. There is no single good road in those areas, yet that is where majority of the population and votes come from.
Development projects should be evenly spread, not this 'eye-service' thing.

I am an ACN sympathiser, but I dont like this elitist style of Fashola's administration. He has demolished a lot of buildings belonging to poor people under the pretext of road construction, but his govt decided to compromise the Llekki expressway road at the Law school portion in order to make way for the continued existence of the Civic Centre and other buildings by the water front obviously because the owners of the buildings are rich and influential men!
The poor masses are suffering under Fashola's govt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Updates Of PDP Convention At Eagle Square / NDLEA Found 40.255kg Of Drugs Hidden In Melon / Buhari: Nigeria Now Self-Sufficient In Cement Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.