Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,904 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:55 PM

Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? (25716 Views)

Gazzuzz: How To Drive Your Car In Nigeria Without Using Petrol (Video) / How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? / This Is Why You Should Not Drive Your Automatic Cars With Both Feet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Itsrm(m): 7:47am On Jul 21, 2023
antibullshit:
Car ac does not use petrol. It uses gas for cooling and the belt of the ac motor is attached to the car engine by a cog which runs it while the engine runs. How will that consume petrol when no petrol goes to the ac? On the other hand driving with your windows up while doing 50kph or more actually saves petrol because there's more drag.

Contrary to your name, you actually say a lot of bullshit...and with confidence

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by sacajawea: 8:02am On Jul 21, 2023
Kobicove:
I still drive with my AC on cos I don't want to get robbed in traffic
AC and Robbery? How please
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by rukyboy(m): 8:23am On Jul 21, 2023
mactoni91:
Prices of V8 - V12 Vehicles are crashing...

People are now going for 4 cylinders.

Who is selling. I need one
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Owobulaw: 8:24am On Jul 21, 2023
lifezone247:
Yes, yes and yes. AC has nothing to do with fuel consumptions. It’s uses gas when the engine is running. Make una stop that mentality abeg.

Putting AC increase fuel consumption by atleast 20% because of the extra load on the Engine.
Put on your AC pay attention and you will see the little change in engine sound.

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by WantsandMore: 8:25am On Jul 21, 2023
antibullshit:

How much more? Its like .0.01 percent . Stop this poverty mentality !
grin
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Awaja(m): 8:49am On Jul 21, 2023
Rikze:
As for me, the answer is NO.

Unless the rain is heavy, to have clear vision, I may drive the car with AC for a while and turn it off.

The fuel wahala is biting so hard. 😡😡😡😡
But I don't notice much difference in fuel consumption with or without AC on,Is it really true that we burn more fuel with AC on?

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Kobicove(m): 8:59am On Jul 21, 2023
sacajawea:

AC and Robbery? How please

You're more likely to be robbed while standing in traffic if your windows are open...one person distracts you while the other takes your phone or bag or purse or whatever valuable you have in the car.

There are reported instances where some are even brazen enough to open your car door and jump in
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by apuabidapo: 9:05am On Jul 21, 2023
driving a car with the air conditioning (AC) system on does consume more fuel compared to driving with the AC off. The AC system in a car requires power to run, and this power is typically generated by the engine. When the AC is on, the engine has to work harder to power the compressor and circulate the refrigerant through the system, which increases the fuel consumption.

Several factors contribute to the increased fuel consumption with the AC on:

Engine Load: Running the AC puts additional load on the engine, requiring it to burn more fuel to maintain the same speed and performance.

Aerodynamics: Operating the AC can slightly reduce the car's aerodynamic efficiency, resulting in a minor increase in fuel consumption.

Vehicle Type: The effect of AC on fuel consumption can vary depending on the size and type of vehicle. Smaller, more fuel-efficient cars may experience a relatively larger percentage increase in fuel consumption compared to larger vehicles.

Driving Conditions: Driving in hot weather or stop-and-go traffic can further increase the fuel consumption when the AC is on, as the AC needs to work harder to cool the interior in such conditions.

The extent of the fuel consumption increase may vary depending on the car's make and model, driving habits, and environmental conditions. However, the difference is typically small for modern vehicles, and the convenience and comfort of having the AC on often outweigh the slight increase in fuel consumption for most drivers. If you are concerned about fuel efficiency, you can also use the AC judiciously, such as lowering the AC settings or using the vehicle's ventilation system when the weather is not too hot.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by sacajawea: 9:06am On Jul 21, 2023
Kobicove:

You're more likely to be robbed while standing in traffic if your windows are open...one person distracts you while the other takes your phone or bag or purse or whatever valuable you have in the car.

There are reported instances where some are even brazen enough to open your car door and jump in
Okay. As I guessed, it's opening of window then
Not AC itself
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by greatdave(m): 9:09am On Jul 21, 2023
lifezone247:
Yes, yes and yes. AC has nothing to do with fuel consumptions. It’s uses gas when the engine is running. Make una stop that mentality abeg.

And over 300 people liked this blatant display of ignorance?! Wow...Ignorance is truly bliss!

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Freerhyme1(m): 9:12am On Jul 21, 2023
lifezone247:
If the AC uses gas then what does the engine uses to keep running for the AC to be powered by gas? Water Smh

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by chccho(m): 9:17am On Jul 21, 2023
antibullshit:

How much more? Its like .0.01 percent . Stop this poverty mentality !

If u don't know something, it's not bad to learn from those who know or when u come across facts u never knew.
No need to argue blindly.
Using AC makes the car consume more than 10% more fuel and even more again if u are using it in traffic or within the city as against on the highway...
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by upuphim(m): 9:36am On Jul 21, 2023
lifezone247:
I will like to be corrected, does it also mean that house and office airconditioners don't consume more unit of electricity current as they use gas, too?
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by todugo(m): 9:51am On Jul 21, 2023
lifezone247:
When you drive with your window glass down, it causes the car to use more energy because of gravitational wind there by consuming more fuel especially when speeding. grin
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Autobiography: 10:05am On Jul 21, 2023
I still use AC... People don't know that using ur AC does very little to add to ur fuel consumption... If the engine is alright.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by DaRuud(m): 10:12am On Jul 21, 2023
I dey craze?

Rikze:

Unless the rain is heavy, to have clear vision, I may drive the car with AC for a while and turn it off.

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by excellentj4teal(m): 10:26am On Jul 21, 2023
lifezone247:

Who is deceiving this one? Arrogantly uninformed.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by martinsU007: 10:47am On Jul 21, 2023
Driving your vehicle without Ac consumes more fuel especially when in Motion.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by rhymesnoni(m): 11:05am On Jul 21, 2023
The question should be rephrased as "do you still drive your Car? well the answer is No sir.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by ubest1(m): 11:21am On Jul 21, 2023
The Africa mindset of every black cats seen in the night are witch is same as AC consume fuel. AC consumption rating has already be calculated on the engine by car manufacturer that make up the engine capacity from day one, so it cant be assume as additional load on the engine. AC don't consume fuel what consume ur fuel that make it look like AC are overload, Bad plugs, blocked nozzles, Air-flow systems, leaks exhaust, poor tires etc, once any of these items are bad ur engine capacity (RPM) will drop then oning AC will now becomes load to the engine. I have driven cars for 10 years plus practicalized it both urban & highways AC don't consume fuel, even at reserve I still use my AC
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by golor(m): 11:40am On Jul 21, 2023
lifezone247:

AC stresses the car Engine and as such drag more fuel . Same thing as home AC with Gen . Now I give u an experiment . On your Gen and put up your AC and watch how long the fuel will last and on same Gen with same liter of fuel without AC and watch how long it will last . In car once u put on the AC the engine stretches and thus require more fuel . I have experienced these I used to have your kind of thinking.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by golor(m): 11:41am On Jul 21, 2023
ubest1:
The Africa mindset of every black cats seen in the night are witch is same as AC consume fuel. AC consumption rating has already be calculated on the engine by car manufacturer that make up the engine capacity from day one, so it cant be assume as additional load on the engine. AC don't consume fuel what consume ur fuel that make it look like AC are overload, Bad plugs, blocked nozzles, Air-flow systems, leaks exhaust, poor tires etc, once any of these items are bad ur engine capacity (RPM) will drop then oning AC will now becomes load to the engine. I have driven cars for 10 years plus practicalized it both urban & highways AC don't consume fuel, even at reserve I still use my AC

I don’t think you own a car
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by ubest1(m): 12:41pm On Jul 21, 2023
Oga I owned cars

golor:

I don’t think you own a car
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by phinter: 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2023
Rikze:

Not using AC doesn't save you fuel except when you're stationary like in traffic. On the other hand, when you drive with your windows wound down, the wind is causing more friction on your car making it heavier and causing the car to ask for more fuel to move. And so not using AC when you're moving in even detrimental.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by MykellOni(m): 1:46pm On Jul 21, 2023
tunde1200:

Almighty God will provide yours soon.

Amen! Thanks man, you're blessed beyond measures too

2 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by hardbody: 2:05pm On Jul 21, 2023
miketayo:

lolzz you sure you own a car? that's the fan not the AC. it doesn't cool until the engine starts

That it doesn't cool and doesn't come on are two different things. I guess we know who doesn't own a car here.

Maybe you actually do own a car afterall. I am not interested in this argument. I suggest you check my posts in the car section and be well guided.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by miketayo(m): 2:17pm On Jul 21, 2023
hardbody:

That it doesn't cool and doesn't come on are two different things. I guess we know who doesn't own a car here.

Maybe you actually do own a car afterall. I am not interested in this argument. I suggest you check my posts in the car section and be well guided.

It's clear you don't know how air conditioner works, remove the AC in your car and you will still get that air from your vent, the compressor is not engaged at that point. That is not AC stop embarrassing yourself
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by shonepa(m): 2:30pm On Jul 21, 2023
U said it ur self driving to a long distance. Not been in a traffic for 2hrs. Its something i have experimented......with and without AC.

Like i said if the engine works freely...like travelling, AC has nothing to do with ur fuel. Especially if the Circulation button is ON...air comes through the vent.

But when u in traffic with AC on for example, the engine uses more power cos no air is coming in through the vent.

lifezone247:
ohh well with all the peeps on my mension quoting me wrong, I use a 4 cylinder 2021 corolla and to be specific my brother I see no difference with or without using AC even when I’m traveling to long distance.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by shonepa(m): 2:36pm On Jul 21, 2023
U re getting my arguments wrong. The basis is simple. AC affects fuel consumption.

When u in traffic or when the car is not moving the enging works more there by consuming for fuel. The more the engine works the more it consumes fuel.

When u on the highway....fine ur engine is good to go with AC.....cos the AC circulation botton recieves air through the vent, making the AC cooler and keeps the engine healthier.

LeonMacJames:

Do you realise the drive belt drives the compressor pulley, regardless of whether the AC is on or not. The fuel consumed when AC is on is not tangible enough for you to suffer in the heat in the name of Saving fuel. And it has been confirmed that your car even consumes more fuel when windows are down at highway speeds.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Blazadenise(m): 3:16pm On Jul 21, 2023
WantsandMore:
it does actually.

They play na
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Cryptokin(m): 3:22pm On Jul 21, 2023
lifezone247:
Using AC actually increases fuel consumption because the compressor takes power from the engine and engine has to compensate to add more fuel. The only myth is Ac fan speed doesn’t matter. Some use low fan speeds thinking it will consume less fuel but it’s the same at all fan speeds. 👌

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Photo: Baby, 5 Others Die In Fatal Multiple Accident In Abeokuta / Lagos Ranked 3rd Worst City In The World For Drivers By Forbes (see List) / Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.