Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,007 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? (25744 Views)

Gazzuzz: How To Drive Your Car In Nigeria Without Using Petrol (Video) / How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? / This Is Why You Should Not Drive Your Automatic Cars With Both Feet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Dzzzz: 7:27pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
Yes, yes and yes. AC has nothing to do with fuel consumptions. It’s uses gas when the engine is running. Make una stop that mentality abeg.
..They no talk of okada Na car them mention..Ac doesn’t not work with fuel 😂😂😂this guy what did you inhale ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Lookingback: 7:27pm On Jul 20, 2023
Yes , offcourse.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by wahalawahala: 7:28pm On Jul 20, 2023
ariesbull:
una go see shegee
dey play... Enjoy ur suffering in silence... Online billionaire gang
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by airsaylongcome: 7:28pm On Jul 20, 2023
lucane123:

Using a vehicle's air-conditioning system increases its fuel consumption more than any other auxiliary feature. An air-conditioning (a/c) system can increase fuel consumption by up to 20% because of the extra load on the engine.

Do you have a reference for this? And do you know that drag (when you have your windows down) is actually more inefficient than whatever load AC puts on the engine?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by BarrElChapo(m): 7:28pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
Yes, yes and yes. AC has nothing to do with fuel consumptions. It’s uses gas when the engine is running. Make una stop that mentality abeg.

I used to think like you and I googled it to confirm but alas

3 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by duality(m): 7:29pm On Jul 20, 2023
Manny21:
It has been proved that using A/C in a car does not consume fuel

By who!
don't let those who's car engine efficiency is high, deceive you. As your engine gets older efficiency reduces and fuel consumption will increase. With AC, it increases more.

It's like saying house AC don't consume electricity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by airsaylongcome: 7:29pm On Jul 20, 2023
blueghost:

When you turn on the AC in your car, it uses energy from the engine to power the compressor, which compresses the refrigerant gas and circulates it through the AC system. This process requires additional power from the engine, which leads to increased fuel consumption.

When you have your windows down, it looses it's aerodynamics (essentially acting like a parachute) adding way more load to the engine than whatever load the AC adds.

Edit: I've come across field tests that convincingly show I was wrong above

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUFwbNbQpck#bottom-sheet

2 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by wahalawahala: 7:29pm On Jul 20, 2023
Iamzik:

Why you come take am personal na. ABI you sef vote for balablu?🤣🤣
why I go take am personal

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by bignero: 7:30pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
?

really? chai soo all this while sun de beat me for nothing?

you really sure?
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Quebec91(m): 7:31pm On Jul 20, 2023
cheesy
maberry:
People still dey drive Car?

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by BarrElChapo(m): 7:31pm On Jul 20, 2023
Manny21:

I bet you don't know more than the government of Canada 😀

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Quebec91(m): 7:31pm On Jul 20, 2023
cheesy
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Thread for people wey get car.. meaning say I gat no business here angry

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by adanny01(m): 7:32pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:

Oga chill, it does but a little too small to be significantly affect milage especially on city driving. For highway, the fuel consumption especially on modern cars is insignificant.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by BarrElChapo(m): 7:32pm On Jul 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Do you have a reference for this? And do you know that drag (when you have your windows down) is actually more inefficient than whatever load AC puts on the engine?

See where he got the information from. From the government of Canada's website.

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by casualobserver: 7:33pm On Jul 20, 2023
Rikze:
As for me, the answer is NO.

Unless the rain is heavy, to have clear vision, I may drive the car with AC for a while and turn it off.

The fuel wahala is biting so hard. 😡😡😡😡

It is foolish to think you save petrol by not using your AC. When you wind down, your car becomes less aerodynamic so their is more drag and you actually use more petrol when you wind down. Than windows up and AC on.

If you want to save petrol stop putting your foot down and watch your rev counter. Try never to go above 3000 and once you achieve your desired speed try to maintain your rev counter between 1500 and 2500 max you will use almost half the petrol you used to consume.

Avoid heavy acceleration if you want to save petrol. Look at the road ahead of you if the road is not free accelerating only to brake is just wasting petrol.

A car requires a lot of power to get it to the desired speed. Once it reaches that speed and so long as it is not excessive speed, you only need minimal petrol to Mai rain your speed but if you keep accelerating only to brake, you are just burning petrol.

Your driving habits is the difference between doing 500km on a full tank or doing 250km.

If you have a trip computer on your car (most modern cars do). It will show you how much petrol you are consuming (miles per gallon mpg or liters/km) when you accelerate and when you are just maintaining reasonable speed. They won’t need to tell you to avoid undue acceleration. Also you can put your trip computer in range view and see how your range increases or decreases depending on your driving pattern.

You can thank me later.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by airsaylongcome: 7:34pm On Jul 20, 2023
BarrElChapo:

See where he got the information from. From the government of Canada's website.

Agreed now that I have done some more research

4 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by tete7000(m): 7:34pm On Jul 20, 2023
Manny21:

Who proved this? AC needs power to run it, and that power comes from the energy generated by the engine. When you put on your ac, the engine drives the compressors and make energy available to its other components increasing the total energy needed by your vehicle to run. The only thing you can say is that the energy needed is small and insignificant compare to total energy needed to run the vehicle, but to say AC doesn't consume fuel at all contravenes your simple law of energy conservation.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by airsaylongcome: 7:35pm On Jul 20, 2023
casualobserver:

It is foolish to think you save petrol by not using your AC. When you wind down, your car becomes less aerodynamic so their is more drag and you actually use more petrol when you wind down. Than windows up and AC on.

If you want to save petrol stop putting your foot down and watch your rev counter. Try never to go above 3000 and once you achieve your desired speed try to maintain your rev counter between 1500 and 2500 max you will use almost half the petrol you used to consume.

You can thank me later.

I used to believe this as well. But this video shows field tests that invalidate the assertion that AC on is more efficient than windows down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUFwbNbQpck#bottom-sheet

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by bignero: 7:36pm On Jul 20, 2023
casualobserver:

Avoid heavy acceleration if you want to save petrol. Look at the road ahead of you if the road is not free acceleration g o my to brake is just wasting petrol.

Your driving habits is the difference between doing 500km on a full tank or doing 250km.

You can thank me later.

3000 what?
speedometer? can you be clear?
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Iko5000: 7:37pm On Jul 20, 2023
Quoting a woke Canada website that hates ICE cars .
To start with it depends on the cars,most modern cars does not not consume much fuel when you use the a/c and also on a long motorway journey it saves to use a/c than having your windows open which will cause drag .

[
[/quote]quote author=BarrElChapo post=124549179]

I used to think like you and I googled it to confirm but alas

3 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by maximizer61(m): 7:37pm On Jul 20, 2023
Blackestjunior:
Yes
I can't drive my car without AC grin grin
i swear i can't drive without AC
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by casualobserver: 7:37pm On Jul 20, 2023
bignero:

3000 what?
speedometer? can you be clear?

I said rev counter. Nigerian have no sense of fuel economy because petrol has been too cheap. Most Nigerians don’t even know the MPG of their car.

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Kobicove(m): 7:38pm On Jul 20, 2023
I still drive with my AC on cos I don't want to get robbed in traffic
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by kay29000(m): 7:39pm On Jul 20, 2023
shereef19:
Yes
My car consume lesser on AC
Expect in holdup

What car do you drive
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by tete7000(m): 7:40pm On Jul 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

The amount of drag will be a function of the speed of the vehicle. At low speed, the drag might be insignificant compare to energy needed to run the AC. At high speed, it might be better to run your vehicle with AC than leave your windows wind down. However even at high speed, people hardly leave windows totally wind down as too much air draft also caused discomfort to occupants.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by toprealman: 7:40pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
https://www.airconco.com/news/does-in-car-air-conditioning-consume-fuel-if-so-how-much/

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by heykims(m): 7:41pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
But doesn't the engine change sound when u switch on the AC?
If it does, then it has impact on the engine.

4 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by uuzba(m): 7:42pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
The gas is compressed by the compressor.
Once you turn on the AC the compressor clutch engages such that the pulley starts to work the compression engine. That is an extra work for the car engine. Extra work = Extra petrol.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by maximizer61(m): 7:42pm On Jul 20, 2023
Well i don't know if AC consumes fuel because i haven't had an experience of driving without the AC on.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Justiceleague1: 7:43pm On Jul 20, 2023
duro4chang:
well wheelbarrow not need AC nah grin
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by chally4real(m): 7:44pm On Jul 20, 2023
Why do people still belive AC don't consume fuel?...AC does consume fuel if u'r not on high speed but does conserve fuel if u'r in high speed...do your research well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by yarimo(m): 7:45pm On Jul 20, 2023
Angrygoat:
Sadly my AC burnt 2 weeks ago ,after 2 years of usage and abuse. Now my cover has been blown and everyone can see me naked. I've ordered for toks from ladipo.by Saturday I go mount another AC direct.
Just simple question. Do you still use ac ? Nobody is asking if your ac is burnt or you ordered another one.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lagos Ranked 3rd Worst City In The World For Drivers By Forbes (see List) / Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? / What You Should Know About Tricycle Ambulances In Nigeria And Africa- Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.