Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,805 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? (25765 Views)

Gazzuzz: How To Drive Your Car In Nigeria Without Using Petrol (Video) / How Far Can You Drive Your Vehicle On Empty? / This Is Why You Should Not Drive Your Automatic Cars With Both Feet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Purvan(m): 8:21pm On Jul 20, 2023
My car doesn't have AC

Just wind down and allow breeze to flow
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Opulentluv(m): 8:21pm On Jul 20, 2023
Very well. Ac no dey consume fuel as una dey reason. Difference in fuel consumption to drive up to 100miles is just 2 litres. Go and verify
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by casualobserver: 8:22pm On Jul 20, 2023
PPIA:

It increases fuel consumption by 20%

Causes more load on the engine because more current from the alternator is required, hence the engine needs to generate extra RPM to compensate.

Don't you notice even how the sound of the engine changes when A/C is powered on!!!?

Wrong. It consumes petrol because the compressor is driven by the engine. The AC compressor is directly connected to the engine via a belt. It is the compressor that puts strain on the engine.

The alternator does not power the AC, it is the engine that does. If you like switch off your engine and see if your AC will blow cold. If it blows it won’t blow cold air just fan.

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Ate247(m): 8:23pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
Yes, yes and yes. AC has nothing to do with fuel consumptions. It’s uses gas when the engine is running. Make una stop that mentality abeg.
oga Google is not far from you. But here is a simple question. Does extra load consume fuel?
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by BarrElChapo(m): 8:25pm On Jul 20, 2023
Iko5000:
Quoting a woke Canada website that hates ICE cars .
To start with it depends on the cars,most modern cars does not not consume much fuel when you use the a/c and also on a long motorway journey it saves to use a/c than having your windows open which will cause drag .

[quote author=BarrElChapo post=124549179]

I used to think like you and I googled it to confirm but alas

You're definitely dumb for calling the Canadian government's website a woke website.

1 Like

Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by providencia(m): 8:28pm On Jul 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Do you have a reference for this? And do you know that drag (when you have your windows down) is actually more inefficient than whatever load AC puts on the engine?

At what speed do you even think that drag becomes effective on your car. Drag is ineffective in nigeria city speed limit
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by PPIA: 8:29pm On Jul 20, 2023
casualobserver:

Wrong. It consumes petrol because the compressor is driven by the engine. The AC compressor is directly connected to the engine via a belt. It is the compressor that puts strain on the engine.

The alternator does not power the AC, it is the engine that does. If you like switch off your engine and see if your AC will blow cold. If it blows it won’t blow cold air just fan.
Thanks for the enlightenment
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Tonytonex(m): 8:32pm On Jul 20, 2023
Rikze:
As for me, the answer is NO.

Unless the rain is heavy, to have clear vision, I may drive the car with AC for a while and turn it off.

The fuel wahala is biting so hard. 😡😡😡😡

grin grin
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by scholes23(m): 8:35pm On Jul 20, 2023
Even with this fuel price AC is no longer a criteria for buying car again
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by gtassure: 8:37pm On Jul 20, 2023
visaclick:
forget engine stories if you are broke you are broke. Most men got like 85-130m just sitting in their current account tell me what they will worry about. I still run ac well I just don’t go around much but i ve never used public just to save up. Not just me but my street neighbor who drives a gwagon has came home and gone out more than 3 times today.
If you got 85M - 130M in your Acct and spend 500k monthly on fuel which is 6M per annum (this calc is not far fetch) then you should be worried! Imagine spending 6 M just on fueling alone, that is catastrophic!
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Tonytonex(m): 8:39pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
Yes, yes and yes. AC has nothing to do with fuel consumptions. It’s uses gas when the engine is running. Make una stop that mentality abeg.
don't mind them. So many ignorant and foolish people everywhere. Believing trash.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Enyimbamercedes: 8:40pm On Jul 20, 2023
In certain driving conditions, using your AC will save you more fuel than leaving your windows open.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Blackestjunior(m): 8:41pm On Jul 20, 2023
MichaelSokoto:

u be yahoo be dat!

Go to court if u think otherwise!
grin
Lol
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by ThatCEO: 8:45pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:

It's not any mentality. Let me guess, Ur engine has 4 cylinders abi? U can't relate
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Ejiphill09(m): 8:49pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:

You are very wrong. Do your research well. Update yourself.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by nwajesus12(m): 8:51pm On Jul 20, 2023
NtoAkwaIbom:
Lols

Hustle oo, so no be anything go dey shake ur life Helter seketas.

Normally, no be say we dey too Waka, drive enter office, then drive go back, no be those lil trips them go make us poor.
Winding down go defeat d aim of having tinted glasses
na your mentality make you never blow if you think parking your car now means you are broke sad
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by soperel: 8:55pm On Jul 20, 2023
I ON mine today ooo, some people were looking at me as if am a ritualist
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by folake4u(f): 8:58pm On Jul 20, 2023
My office colleague still dey drive car and I dey enjoy the AC to maximum limit. grin
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by erico2k2(m): 8:58pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
your Ac compressor puts strain on your Engine so YES it has an effect o n your Fuel consumption!However it has been proven that if you have your windows down the drag that this causes is equal to the xtra fuel consumption that goes with the AC strain!
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by nkemdi89(f): 8:59pm On Jul 20, 2023
I can't drive without ac oh
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by pekisdgee(m): 9:06pm On Jul 20, 2023
might not seem like it would make much of a difference, but believe it or not, using air con can increase your fuel consumption by as much as 10%, and opening the windows when at higher speeds can increase it by as much as 20%.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by pekisdgee(m): 9:08pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:

might not seem like it would make much of a difference, but believe it or not, using air con can increase your fuel consumption by as much as 10%, and opening the windows when at higher speeds can increase it by as much as 20%.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by BABAawoo47: 9:10pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
What kind of statement is this? AC compressor is directly connected to your engine
Yes it consumes power. Try on it on idle engine and hear the engine reaction
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by BABAawoo47: 9:13pm On Jul 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

As innnnnnnnnnn! I'm always shocked how people believe that AC consumes more fuel. Driving your car with the windows down actually consumes more fuel than with the windows up and AC on. Poverty na bad thing
Bro easy, see AC consume more fuel. But on high speeds it depends on lots of things like vehicle size and aerodynamics. But city driving, AC definitely consumes more fuel about 10-20% more
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Judolisco(m): 9:16pm On Jul 20, 2023
lifezone247:
dey play o... Uno dey notice say wen u on AC ur engine dey generate more heat?
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by BABAawoo47: 9:16pm On Jul 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Do you have a reference for this? And do you know that drag (when you have your windows down) is actually more inefficient than whatever load AC puts on the engine?
ppl always rush to quote drag, Wait you no do physics for yr 1 ni. drag force depends on different things, majorly speed and area
So if you're moving say like 120kph, maybe it's better to whine up. But normal city driving, you must be joking
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by mondob2k(m): 9:17pm On Jul 20, 2023
Rikze:
As for me, the answer is NO.

Unless the rain is heavy, to have clear vision, I may drive the car with AC for a while and turn it off.

The fuel wahala is biting so hard. 😡😡😡😡

This is so me... Are we identical twins?
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Greystone: 9:21pm On Jul 20, 2023
Yes

The difference in fuel consumption with and without AC is negligible so I dey blast my thing jarey
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by Menclothing: 9:23pm On Jul 20, 2023
It doesn’t consume fuel normal consumption
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by shonepa(m): 9:24pm On Jul 20, 2023
It does bro, kindly look it up.

Especially when u in traffic for a long period, the engine works freely when on motion, there by consuming less fuel.

If u a Lagos based, u should notice.

lifezone247:
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by EgunMogaji2: 9:25pm On Jul 20, 2023
On full blast. AC has little to do with MPG.
Re: Do You Still Drive Your Car With AC? by omoabike: 9:26pm On Jul 20, 2023
YES

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What You Should Know About Tricycle Ambulances In Nigeria And Africa- Photos / Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? / Ferrari's Newly Unveiled £3m FXX-K Evo Hypercar Is Like A Fighter Jet On Wheels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.