Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! (9438 Views)

Is It Ever Acceptable For A Man To Hit A Woman? / Is It Acceptable For My Girlfriend To Beat Me Up? / 10 Signs He's Not Going To Propose Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Maximip(m): 7:05pm On Oct 08, 2011
Orikinla:

[size=28pt]Capital NO![/size]

If she should do so, trust the man to use it to insult her one day.

Nah, not every man. An intelligent woman can also use it to insult him.

chaircover:

The man should propose; he is the one marrying the girl and not the other way round.

What the man should have done when he saw the lady about to get on her knees to propse was to quickly get down first and him do the proposing saving the girl the embarasment.

Many of us tease our husbands that they were "begging" to marry us & I would imagine the guy will tell the babe the same thing after they get marred.

BTW was it Feb 29th? cos that is the day that women are allowed to propose to their heart throbs  wink

Why should he ruin the moment   He did his part by saying "YES" saving her any embarrassment although he could tell
her his mind when they get home.  grin

Me just thinks, whoever proposes would take up more responsiblity in the marriage. Kapish!
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by RickyRoss1(m): 7:06pm On Oct 08, 2011
TO ME THIS IS AFRICA AND WE MUST DO THINGS THEY WAY THAT THEY ARE, IF ITS OK FOR A WOMAN TO PROPOSE MARRIAGE THEN ITS ALSO OK FOR A WOMAN TO MARRY YOU AND YOU CHANGE YOUR NAME AND TAKE YOUR WIFE'S FAMILY NAME AFTER ALL ITS DONE IN SOME WESTERN COUNTRIES.

TELL ME WHY MUST AN AFRICAN WOMAN PROPOSE TO MAN, SOUNDS TO ME LIKE SHEER DESPERATION SOMETHING SIMILAR TO THIS HAPPENED WHEN I WAS STILL DATING AND I KICKED HER OUT AFTERWARDS, THAT I HAVE DATED YOU FOR 50 YEARS DOESN'T MEAN WE MUST MARRY. MARRIAGE IS NOT BY FORCE, IF U EMBARRASS ME WITH SUCH SILLY QUESTION I WILL RETURN THE EMBARRASSMENT WITH A BIG NOOOOO,
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by baminasri(m): 7:09pm On Oct 08, 2011
sure it is acceptable, after all, bill clinton wife was the one that proposed to him, a guy might love a girl but he might be too shy to voice out his feelings, and if the girl understands, she should help him out
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by BABE3: 7:11pm On Oct 08, 2011
Uncle Ego, why are you screaming though?

kabukabu:

Wow
hold onto your horses lady grin, a woman proposing to her man doesn't automatically mean he is exempt from his male duties, perhaps he could be a tad undecided and just needed the extra ooomph from his lady.
Relax.

Being in the 21st century doesn't mean we have to turn the "norms" upside down. 2011 this, 2103000 that-- Na wetin sef? Sticking with the norms doesn't make us cave men na.

Even if we want to switch up things for a change, at least we should do it "right". Doing it "wrong" is when a woman asks for her man's hand in marriage, and she expects her man to continue being the "man".

That's just some messed-up way of thinking.
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by eghost247(m): 7:14pm On Oct 08, 2011
BABE!:

Uncle Ego, why are you screaming though?

Being in the 21st century doesn't mean we have to turn the "norms" upside down. 2011 this, 2103000 that-- Na wetin sef? Sticking with the norms doesn't make us cave men na.

Even if we want to switch up things for a change, at least we should do it "right". Doing it "wrong" is when a woman asks for her man's hand in marriage, and she expects her man to continue being the "man".

That's just some messed-up way of thinking.

U Sounding cocky if it were a topic about what a man can do a woman can do better im sure u would be saying the reverse
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 08, 2011
My Nairaland brethren, imagine this scenario. A lady is dating a guy who has not proposed to her. She has been dating him for, say, five years and has been patiently waiting for the day he presumably gets on his knees and pops the question. This day, however, has yet to come, and she is running out of patience. Hmmm! What to do, what to do? She decides to take matters into her own hands: she decides that she will get on her knees and pop the question. One day while she and her boyfriend are having dinner in a fancy restaurant, she, in the presence of her friends, kneels down and proposes to him, and he says yes.

E be like say some people never get the koko of this yarnings!. . . Oya, read the above very slowly! When you finish, come for explanation! grin

How on earth do you think after 5 years of dating a lady, she wouldn't have known you so well, to know that you are probably shy to propose to her? And then when she boldly does and you accept, you expect her to lead you to the altar, and also assume your responsibilities as a man? Absolute Absurdity! Let's avoid sentimentality inna here! The question is about she setting the ball rolling, by asking you to marry her, not assuming your responsibilities! Oh Oh Oh! You mean she should wait till after 10 years for you to pop the question? SMH! Some men and their foolish egotism! Na wa oh! Anyone that still thinks that because a woman took the first step, your responsibilities as a Man, should be relegated to her, should better wake up, smell tha coffee, and realize that the train has left the station! This is 2011! next year is 2012! We are progressing, and NOT regressing! It is acceptable doesnt mean you, as a MAN, must wait for her to take the lead! But if he is too shy to take the lead? Ladies, all it needs to get an engine running in most cases, is a little twist of a key!. . . . cool cool
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by eghost247(m): 7:19pm On Oct 08, 2011
sexkillz:

E be like say some people never get the koko of this yarnings!. . . Oya, read the above very slowly! When you finish, come for explanation! grin

How on earth do you think after 5 years of dating a lady, she wouldn't have known you so well, to know that you are probably shy to propose to her? And then when she boldly does and you accept, you expect her to lead you to the altar, and also assume your responsibilities as a man? Absolute Absurdity! Let's avoid sentimentality inna here! The question is about she setting the ball rolling, by asking you to marry her, not assuming your responsibilities! Oh Oh Oh! You mean she should wait till after 10 years for you to pop the question? SMH! Some men and their foolish egotism! Na wa oh! Anyone that still thinks that because a woman took the first step, your responsibilities as a Man, should be relegated to her, should better wake up, smell tha coffee, and realize that the train has left the station! This is 2011! next year is 2012! We are progressing, and NOT regressing! It is acceptable doesnt mean tou must wait for her to take the lead! but if he is too shy to take the lead? All it needs to get an engine running in most cases, is a little twist of a key!. . . . cool cool

[size=50pt]tell em[/size]
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by BABE3: 7:24pm On Oct 08, 2011
eghost247:

U Sounding cocky

I sound cocky?  

eghost247:

if it were a topic about what a man can do a woman can do better im sure u would be saying the reverse

I've never really understood that quote. What a man can do, a woman can do better? It doesn't even make sense. It's a random quote that some random woman made up to console herself. Therefore, if I "see" a topic like that, i'll most likely not comment.  

Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Princek12(m): 7:24pm On Oct 08, 2011
I think that although it somehow sounds weird, some women have proposed to their boyfriends. One notable case is Jim Jones, an American hip hop rapper, who said yes to his girlfriend's proposal. Below is the link to the story.

http://www.therundown.tv/headlines/discuss-this/jim-jones-girlfriend-explains-why-she-asked-him-to-marry-her/

As for me sha, I would prefer to propose to my girlfriend, rather than have her do it. But hey, to each is own.
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 08, 2011
it usually happens ooo,i have experienced a scenario were that actually happens but i think its wrong.
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by pm05337(m): 8:13pm On Oct 08, 2011
The Bible says "he who finds a WIFE finds a good wife and obtain favor (Prov 18:22). World standard vs Bible standard.
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by MrsChima1(f): 8:13pm On Oct 08, 2011
Sighs.  I knew the gladiators were coming.  Men sef.   undecided
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by pm05337(m): 8:18pm On Oct 08, 2011
@ mrs Chime, you mean God sef?
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by omoalayo(m): 8:20pm On Oct 08, 2011
What if She is not beautiful and u don't want her, ?
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 08, 2011
pm05337:

The Bible says "he who finds a WIFE finds a good wife and obtain favor (Prov 18:22). World standard vs Bible standard.

So a woman proposing to me means, she's my husband? And NOT my wife? She is my wife! Irrespective of who does the proposing! Are you invariably implying, that only BAD women propose to men?. . . . Learn how NOT to quote Biblical Scriptures, out of context! . . . .
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 08, 2011
omoalayo:

What if She is not beautiful and u don't want her, ?
Huh? You mean after 5 years of Dating someone, this quadruplicated balderdash would still come out of his mouth?. . . . . Oya mi lenu o!. . . . grin
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by horny4u(f): 8:30pm On Oct 08, 2011
kabukabu:

Wow
hold onto your horses lady grin, a woman proposing to her man doesn't automatically mean he is exempt from his male duties, perhaps he could be a tad undecided and just needed the extra ooomph from his lady.

Relax.

Lol !!!!

He sure will be tad undecided in everything important that will move their life forward or otherwise.

If after 5 years he was undecided about marrying her i fear:

She may have to continually give him a push for every important decision.

She may not have married a decision maker.

She may actually have married a " I don't know what to do" to every important question in their life.

She may have to wear the trouser when life throws big ideas or otherwise to them.

Having said  that if marrying a go getter, a decision maker, a guardian  is not important to her then please go ahead as this is 2011 and many women are taking control and making it happen ( as she will have to forever).

Wish them all the best as they need it  grin grin grin.

p.s saying Yes can be anything he may have had pity on her, eyah or he may have been embarrassed into saying yes.
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by pm05337(m): 8:33pm On Oct 08, 2011
Not quoting the Bible out of context. A man should be the one to propose, Simples!!!
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by AreaFada2: 8:34pm On Oct 08, 2011
It is not bad for a lady to propose but it's much more romantic for a man to do so.
It is all fairly recent that Africans now propose directly (due to babe), Maybe less than 70 years.
It used to be between two families (depending on culture and time, after dude and babe have agreed that they like each other).

So the Westerners we are copying verbatim, how are they doing it??

It is still the men who propose 99% of the time.

Trust Dudu man: after marriage when wahala don shele, na so the man go say " I no plan to marry you o, na you dey knee down beg me up and down to marry you. Na pity I take gree to marry you". grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by MrsChima1(f): 8:37pm On Oct 08, 2011
Why are some people taking bits and pieces from the Bible to prove their opinion? 

If you are the believer of the Bible then believe everything written in the Bible. 

Slice and Chew Bible Thumpers multiplying like roaches.
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 08, 2011
horny4u:

Lol !!!!

He sure will be tad undecided in everything important that will move their life forward or otherwise.

She may actually have married a " I don't know what to do" to every important question in their life.

She may have to wear the trouser when life throws big ideas or otherwise to them.

Having said  that if marrying a go getter, a decision maker, a guardian  is not important to her then please go ahead as this is 2011 and many women are taking control and making it happen ( as she will have to forever).

Ehn Hen! Thank you!. . . . You spoke the truth in a swaggerlicious way! grin You did not say he should relegate his responsibilities to her! That is so good of you! And this scenario of lady proposing to man happens in rare cases! Doesnt in any way mean it's wrong! If a man allows a woman to also play out those your movie scripts? Na him cup of bournvita be that abeg! grin
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by deols(f): 8:48pm On Oct 08, 2011
horny4u:

Lol !!!!

p.s saying Yes can be anything he may have had pity on her, eyah or he may have been embarrassed into saying yes.

well said
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 08, 2011
pm05337:

Not quoting the Bible out of context. A man should be the one to propose, Simples!!!
If you cant show me where the bible CLEARLY stated that a man should be the one to propose, then you have to accept you quoted the bible out of context! smiley
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by pm05337(m): 8:55pm On Oct 08, 2011
Pls read Proverbs 18:22
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by coogar: 9:06pm On Oct 08, 2011
BABE!:

I've never really understood that quote. What a man can do, a woman can do better? It doesn't even make sense. It's a random quote that some random woman made up to console herself. Therefore, if I "see" a topic like that, i'll most likely not comment.  

i don't believe you, madam.
you are one of the feminists in this habitat!

there's nothing wrong with a woman proposing to a man? women have been liberated. they now head various organizations, they rule countries, etc.
surely, kneeling down and proposing to a man shouldn't be the most difficult task ever. as a matter of fact, i need you to propose to me right now.
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 08, 2011
pm05337:

Pls read Proverbs 18:22
^^^ Done! But still cant find where it said a man should propose!. . . . You are still out of context! Admit or try again! smiley
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Enosa1(m): 9:18pm On Oct 08, 2011
Biblically, that's not acceptable. proverbs 18:22 says; he that finds a wife finds a good thing and obtain favour of the lord. Note 'HE THAT FINDS A WIFE' NOT 'SHE THAT FINDS A HUSBAND'.
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by BABE3: 9:25pm On Oct 08, 2011
coogar:

i don't believe you, madam.
you are one of the feminists in this habitat!

What you quoted was actually more of "an anti-feminism/indifferent towards feminism" comment. So, what are you on about?

coogar:

there's nothing wrong with a woman proposing to a man? women have been liberated. they now head various organizations, they rule countries, etc.

Why are you arguing with yourself?  grin Did I say/imply there was anything wrong with a woman proposing to a man?

There's nothing wrong with it, HOWEVER, she should know that talk is not cheap! Her proposing to her man means they've switched roles henceforth. If the guy decides to neglect his manly responsibilities--she shouldn't vex.

That being said, the man can still decide to take up his manly roles. That is his choice though.

coogar:

surely, kneeling down and proposing to a man shouldn't be the most difficult task ever. as a matter of fact, i need you to propose to me right now.

Coogzy, marry me-?  cheesy
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by eghost247(m): 9:27pm On Oct 08, 2011
[size=16pt]IF Your Willing to Marry Your Boyfriend Please Dont Propose You Can Die in Mudafucking Silence case close, [/size]
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 08, 2011
E.nosa:

Biblically, that's not acceptable. proverbs 18:22 says; he that finds a wife finds a good thing and obtain favour of the lord. Note 'HE THAT FINDS A WIFE' NOT 'SHE THAT FINDS A HUSBAND'.
So woman propose to you right now, you go say no? Oya lie! cheesy grin grin grin See bible quoting out of context! So the 5 years he spent dating her, he was finding torchlight? Cheeeeeiiiiii! grin grin NA WA O!!! grin   Now, diagrammatically show me where it says MAN MUST PROPOSE TO WOMAN!!! cheesy
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by coogar: 9:31pm On Oct 08, 2011
BABE!:

What you quoted was actually more of "an anti-feminism/indifferent towards feminism" comment. So, what are you on about?

how so?

Why are you arguing with yourself?  grin Did I say/imply there was anything wrong with a woman proposing to a man?

There's nothing wrong with it, HOWEVER, she should know that talk is not cheap! Her proposing to her man means they've switched roles henceforth. If the guy decides to neglect his manly responsibilities--she shouldn't vex.

That being said, the man can still decide to take up his manly roles. That is his choice though.

they have not switched roles. when women were recruited to join military forces, men did not tell them the roles would be switched. the men just carried on with their original tasks and the women stuck to their roles!

Coogzy, marry me-?  cheesy

are you on one knee and the ring is diamond?
Re: Is It Ever Acceptable For A Woman To Propose To A Man! by MrsChima1(f): 9:33pm On Oct 08, 2011
(clearing throat)

Excuse me, SexkillzI am still on one knee holding your okada tire ring tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Having Girlfriend(s) In Varsity. / Celebrating Valentine With Your Partner In A Long Distance Relationship? / Ladies, Share Your Nairaland (PM) Toasting Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.