Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,245 members, 7,829,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:09 AM

Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? (9410 Views)

Is Belief In Jesus Enough For Salvation? / Is Water Baptism Necessary For Salvation? / Pastor Drowns While Conducting Baptism At Blood River Village In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 9:18am On Jul 31, 2023
BigDawsNet:
■ Even if you confess your sin... there are some sin that will not go on punish like murder... but apart from that.. if you commit your ways and seek for forgiveness before you die... I'm pretty sure you will get a chance
Here's a simple question for you. Where in the Gospels is Jesus Christ written to have said anything along the lines of if you confess confess your sins you will be saved(Salvation), or that if you ask for forgiveness of sins you will be saved? Let's start there. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DrDunamis(m): 9:19am On Jul 31, 2023
Hanndye:
After the Outer-call or on the radio, after preaching, the preacher would ask those who wish to give their lives to Jesus to repeat certain words after him calling Jesus into their lives. Is this right and Baptism not neccesary?
Hmmm...
Firstly...
I'd like to understand where you're coming from and where you're going to with this question?
Please read Romans 10:9-10 and verse 13 then you'll understand the prayer which the preacher leads those getting born again to say.
This in itself doesn't nullify water baptism, it is after this that these new converts are ready for water baptism.
Read Acts 19: 1 -6
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Saig: 9:55am On Jul 31, 2023
Hanndye:

Hello, bro.
Hello bro. Have a good week
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:19am On Jul 31, 2023
MaxInDHouse:
Baptism is the first step towards salvation that's why Jesus commanded his disciples to baptize all new converts {Matthew 28:19} and that's exactly what they did at Pentecost {Act 2:41} in fact regarding baptism Jesus said to John the baptist:

“Let it be this time, for in that way it is suitable for us to carry out all that is righteous.” Matthew 3:15

So whoever is not baptised can only be raised as one of the UNRIGHTEOUS not RIGHTEOUS {Act 24:15} the wicked will not be remembered during the resurrection of the dead {Psalms 9:17} but all those that lived according to the truth they knew about God's standards will be resurrected as RIGHTEOUS ones while all those that lived by conscience will be raise as UNRIGHTEOUS because they lived by the standard they knew as prisoners of conscience {Romans 1:20} but whoever refuse to act on what he or she sees faithful ones doing will be condemned that's why Jesus himself humbly request for a baptism to set the standard for all his disciples.

The thief that died having Jesus' approval knew very well that he has been condemned for seeing what Jesus did while he was baptizing faithful people but ignored that's why he humbly begged Jesus to remember him and for a certainty that thief will be raised as an UNRIGHTEOUS man in Paradise where Jesus' disciples will teach him all the righteousness of Christ and he must be baptized before he can have everlasting life!
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by BigDawsNet: 10:48am On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Here's a simple question for you. Where in the Gospels is Jesus Christ written to have said anything along the lines of if you confess confess your sins you will be saved(Salvation), or that if you ask for forgiveness of sins you will be saved? Let's start there. undecided

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 10:56am On Jul 31, 2023
BigDawsNet:
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness
That verse was not spoken by Jesus Christ though and it says nothing of one needing to confess one's sins before one can be saved aka born-again. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 11:33am On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Scripture is not the problem here. What contains no tangible takeaway is the response you attempted to weave from what is boldly proclaimed in Scripture. undecided
Again, what is it that you claim that passage says? Speak up make we hear you. undecided

What you can't comprehend you'll never understand.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 11:46am On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:

What is your understanding of what it means to be born again or be saved(to have received salvation)?
Please use the Bible verse as quoted by Jesus Christ...
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Hanndye: 11:47am On Jul 31, 2023
DrDunamis:

Hmmm...
Firstly...
I'd like to understand where you're coming from and where you're going to with this question?
Please read Romans 10:9-10 and verse 13 then you'll understand the prayer which the preacher leads those getting born again to say.
This in itself doesn't nullify water baptism, it is after this that these new converts are ready for water baptism.
Read Acts 19: 1 -6
The question is: can you be saved, through Christ, without being a Christian? Because the Bible talks about putting on Christ at Baptism. When being baptized, I was asked to affirm my faith in Christ.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 12:22pm On Jul 31, 2023
Hanndye:

The question is: can you be saved, through Christ, without being a Christian? Because the Bible talks about putting on Christ at Baptism. When being baptized, I was asked to affirm my faith in Christ.

Gal 3:27 does not really talk about a literal baptism being done if that's what you mean. It's more of a spiritual thing.
Now if you take it to be literal/physical(by the letter), we all know that it's not all who are baptized that have put on Christ Jesus. Yes, you can have an assumption but it's not all. When you have said to have put on Christ Jesus, it means you are completely dead to sin. That is who Jesus Christ. The one who beareth the sin but yet without sin.

There's a skewed definition about who a Christian is that we have all come to accept which is a complete deviation from what's in the Bible. I am very such you know where the name of christian originate and I also know you're aware of the reason it came forth through the mouth of an unbeliever addressing the early apostles.

A man does not put on Christ because he undergoes baptism. No, that's unscriptural from my own understanding. Amongst many other interpretations, baptism is symbolic and an open declaration of the faith you have come to accept. The immersion in the water is symbolic that one is completely dead to sin(s) and the coming out of the water is that the individual is now renewed. Like I said this is just all symbolic to your accepted faith. That is why after one receives an altar call, he/she goes through discipleship class(foundation class for new convert) and made to understand what it entails to become a Christian and live as same. It is after this process that you go for baptism....
at least that's what's practiced....
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Hanndye: 12:45pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:

A man does not put on Christ because he undergoes baptism. No, that's unscriptural from my own understanding. Amongst many other interpretations, baptism is symbolic and an open declaration of the faith you have come to accept. The immersion in the water is symbolic that one is completely dead to sin(s) and the coming out of the water is that the individual is now renewed. Like I said this is just all symbolic to your accepted faith. That is why after one receives an altar call, he/she goes through discipleship class(foundation class for new convert) and made to understand what it entails to become a Christian and live as same. It is after this process that you go for baptism....
at least that's what's practiced....

"at least that's what's practiced...." Practiced by who? Jehovah witnesses or early Christians? Certainly early Christians didn't practice this. Every conversion in the Bible is acomplished with baptism. No, no exception. But you can go ahead and show me any exception, though. And everyone is baptized as soon as they indicate their willingness to do so. Jesus says everyone who comes to Him has learned from the Father.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 1:11pm On Jul 31, 2023
Hanndye:

"at least that's what's practiced...." Practiced by who? Jehovah witnesses or early Christians? Certainly early Christians didn't practice this. Every conversion in the Bible is acomplished with baptism. No, no exception. But you can go ahead and show me any exception, though. And everyone is baptized as soon as they indicate their willingness to do so. Jesus says everyone who comes to Him has learned from the Father.

What is being practiced now is not what was practiced by the early Christians as contained in the Holy Bible. Every ministry has their own doctrines practiced as believed to come forth from the Holy Bible.
Jehovah Witness is a sect of their own and not of God.

Jesus did not say all who come to Him has learned from Him........
It is come to Him and learn. There should be a willingness to learn and even that does not mean one has learned or is learning from Him.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Michael547(m): 1:30pm On Jul 31, 2023
Saig:
Baptism is more than necessary for salvation.
Baptism forgives sins (Acts 2:37-38). Baptism washes sins away (Acts 22:16). Jesus commanded the disciples to go preach and whoever hears and believes and is BAPTIZED Will be SAVE! (Mark 16:15-16).

Contact me for more infor or look for Church of Christ nearest you for worship and what to do
Chat me up on whatsapp 08167469103.....I have more questions to ask
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 1:56pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:
■ What is your understanding of what it means to be born again or be saved(to have received salvation)?
Please use the Bible verse as quoted by Jesus Christ...
Read what Jesus Christ said of it in John 3 vs 1 - 21. That is want I comprehend as related to this topic of baptism. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 1:57pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:
■ What you can't comprehend you'll never understand.
Stop dancing around now and answer the question. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 1:58pm On Jul 31, 2023
Hanndye:
■ The question is: can you be saved, through Christ, without being a Christian? Because the Bible talks about putting on Christ at Baptism. When being baptized, I was asked to affirm my faith in Christ.
Without the religion of Christianity, sure,but Without doing that stipulated by Jesus Christ in John 3 vs 1 - 21, No. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Michael547(m): 2:22pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:

What is being practiced now is not what was practiced by the early Christians as contained in the Holy Bible. Every ministry has their own doctrines practiced as believed to come forth from the Holy Bible.
Jehovah Witness is a sect of their own and not of God.

Jesus did not say all who come to Him has learned from Him........
It is come to Him and learn. There should be a willingness to learn and even that does not mean one has learned or is learning from Him.
So if Jehovah's witnesses are not of God, do you know of any other ministry that does what the Bible says concerning Baptism as you have described?
Or what denomination do you associate with that does what you explained about Baptism?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 2:32pm On Jul 31, 2023
Michael547:

So if Jehovah's witnesses are not of God, do you know of any other ministry that does what the Bible says concerning Baptism as you have described?
Or what denomination do you associate with that does what you explained about Baptism?

Explain to me first what I said about baptism, let me be assured you understood my statement.
Your statement seems like JW follows the Bible way of baptism.......well, just you know, a man being religious does not in any way make such approved of by God.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Michael547(m): 2:38pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:

Explain to me first what I said about baptism, let me be assured you understood my statement.
Your statement seems like JW follows the Bible way of baptism.......well, just you know, a man being religious does not in any way make such approved of by God.
What denomination follows the Bible's way of Baptism?
What denomination do you attend?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 2:41pm On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Read what Jesus Christ said of it in John 3 vs 1 - 21. That is want I comprehend as related to this topic of baptism. undecided

That verse has nothing whatsoever to talk about water baptism in literal meaning. If you don't truly understand the concept of water baptism you'll never understand what that particular verse is.....to be born of water and Spirit......
The Holy Bible is not a literature book.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 2:46pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:
■ Now if you take it to be literal/physical(by the letter), we all know that it's not all who are baptized that have put on Christ Jesus. Yes, you can have an assumption but it's not all. When you have said to have put on Christ Jesus, it means you are completely dead to sin. That is who Jesus Christ. The one who beareth the sin but yet without sin.
■ There's a skewed definition about who a Christian is that we have all come to accept which is a complete deviation from what's in the Bible. I am very such you know where the name of christian originate and I also know you're aware of the reason it came forth through the mouth of an unbeliever addressing the early apostles.
■ A man does not put on Christ because he undergoes baptism. No, that's unscriptural from my own understanding. Amongst many other interpretations, baptism is symbolic and an open declaration of the faith you have come to accept. The immersion in the water is symbolic that one is completely dead to sin(s) and the coming out of the water is that the individual is now renewed.
■ Like I said this is just all symbolic to your accepted faith. That is why after one receives an altar call, he/she goes through discipleship class(foundation class for new convert) and made to understand what it entails to become a Christian and live as same. It is after this process that you go for baptism...at least that's what's practiced....
1. So, according to you, to put on Jesus Christ is to become Holy/Perfect(Freedom from slavery to sin) as commanded by Jesus Christ? undecided

2. Forget the religion of Christianity and focus on Jesus Christ instead. undecided

3. Good, so according to you, Holiness(sinlessness) is not achieved at the point of being born-again — born of water AND born of Spirit. So far so good.

4. All those are religious gibberish and have nothing to do with Scripture abeg! undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 2:46pm On Jul 31, 2023
Michael547:

What denomination follows the Bible's way of Baptism?
What denomination do you attend?

Denominations don't go to heaven or hell but individuals...
Our names are not written against our denominations in the book of life or book of death....
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 2:48pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:
■ That verse has nothing whatsoever to talk about water baptism in literal meaning.
■ If you don't truly understand the concept of water baptism you'll never understand what that particular verse is.....to be born of water and Spirit......
The Holy Bible is not a literature book.
1.Interesting claim! undecided

2. So, tell me, what is this concept of water baptism you understand that you feel has nothing to do with being born-again as explained by Jesus Christ Himself? What is the relationship between this concept you hold to and that proclaimed in Scripture by Jesus Christ Himself or even John the Baptist? undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Michael547(m): 2:48pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:

Denominations don't go to heaven or hell but individuals...
Our names are not written against our denominations in the book of life or book of death....
So there is no denomination today that does and know what the Bible actually say about baptism?
And you have never come across anyone?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 2:56pm On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. So, according to you, to put on Jesus Christ is to become Holy/Perfect(Freedom from slavery to sin) as commanded by Jesus Christ? undecided

2. Forget the religion of Christianity and focus on Jesus Christ instead. undecided

3. Good, so according to you, Holiness(sinlessness) is not achieved at the point of being born-again — born of water AND born of Spirit. So far so good.

4. All those are religious gibberish and have nothing to do with Scripture abeg! undecided

(1) Yes....

(2). Jesus Christ did not come with religion. Religion is man made.

(3) It is if you don't continue in sin....born again simply means "complete repentance" not partial.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 2:57pm On Jul 31, 2023
Michael547:

So there is no denomination today that does and know what the Bible actually say about baptism?
And you have never come across anyone?

You can share about your denomination.....feel free.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 2:58pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:
(1) Yes....
(2). Jesus Christ did not come with religion. Religion is man made.
(3) It is if you don't continue in sin....born again simply means "complete repentance" not partial.
Why does your understanding of what it means to be born-again contradict Jesus Christ Himself who instead said to be born again is to be Born of Water and Born of Spirit in order to gain entry into the Kingdom of God — basically obtain a passport and become a citizen of the Kingdom of God? undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Michael547(m): 3:06pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:

You can share about your denomination.....feel free.
Lol....it's funny how you know a fake denomination and not the true one....goodbye
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 3:06pm On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1.Interesting claim! undecided

2. So, tell me, what is this concept of water baptism you understand that you feel has nothing to do with being born-again as explained by Jesus Christ Himself? What is the relationship between this concept you hold to and that proclaimed in Scripture by Jesus Christ Himself or even John the Baptist? undecided

Apologies....
Please kindly explain the concept of the water baptism as proclaimed by John the Baptist.....
Dont just quote Scripture. Explain in your English what he says.......
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 3:24pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:
Apologies....
Please kindly explain the concept of the water baptism as proclaimed by John the Baptist.....
Dont just quote Scripture. Explain in your English what he says.......
According to John the Baptist, to be baptized meant to change/transition from following the Old Law to following the New Law instead. He explained that in order for that to take place, there was a need for a visible transition from following God's Old Law of Moses to following God's New agreement of peace —Jesus Christ. In verse 8 of the passage below, John instructs the Pharisees to change their hearts and show by the way that they live that they have in fact changed from following the Old Way to following the New Way — Jesus Christ. undecided
7 Many Pharisees and Sadducees came to where John was baptizing people. When John saw them, he said, “You are all snakes! Who warned you to run from God’s judgment that is coming?
8 Change your hearts! And show by the way you live that you have changed.
9 I know what you are thinking. You want to say, ‘but Abraham is our father!’ That means nothing. I tell you, God could make children for Abraham from these rocks.
10 The ax is now ready to cut down the trees. Every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
[b]11
“I baptize you with water to show that you have changed your hearts and lives. But there is someone coming later who is able to do more than I can. I am not good enough to be the slave who takes off his sandals. - Matthew 3 vs 7 - 11
In verse 10, John declared that the Old Way was coming to a close and so there was a need for those who wished to, to transition to the New. undecided

Now, an interesting fact most do not know is that a transition from the Old Law of Moses to the New Law also meant one was to be cut off from the Fountain of Living Water of the Old Law of Moses, to be connected instead to the Fountain of Living Waters that is Jesus Christ. In essence, one dies to or is cut off from the former source of Living Water- Jeremiah 2:13 & Jeremiah 17 vs 13, and is reconnected or born of the New Fountain of Living Water that is Jesus Christ - John 4 vs 10 - 14 & John 7 vs 37-39. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 3:53pm On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:
According to John the Baptist, to be baptized meant to change/transition from following the Old Law to following the New Law instead. He explained that in order for that to take place, there was a need for a visible transition from following God's Old Law of Moses to following God's New agreement of peace —Jesus Christ. In verse 8 of the passage below, John instructs the Pharisees to change their hearts and show by the way that they live that they have in fact changed from following the Old Way to following the New Way — Jesus Christ. undecided
In verse 10, John declared that the Old Way was coming to a close and so there was a need for those who wished to, to transition to the New. undecided

Now, an interesting fact most do not know is that a transition from the Old Law of Moses to the New Law also meant one was to be cut off from the Fountain of Living Water of the Old Law of Moses, to be connected instead to the Fountain of Living Waters that is Jesus Christ. In essence, one dies to or is cut off from the former source of Living Water- Jeremiah 2:13 & Jeremiah 17 vs 13, and is reconnected or born of the New Fountain of Living Water that is Jesus Christ - John 4 vs 10 - 14 & John 7 vs 37-39. undecided

You have answered the question about baptism. Try not to get yourself confused.

Jer 2:13: the fountain of living water is same in the Old and New Testament.
God the Father, God the Son Jesus Christ, God the Holy Spirit. They are ONE and they are meant to achieve one purpose.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 3:56pm On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:
■ You have answered the question about baptism. Try not to get yourself confused.

Jer 2:13: the fountain of living water is same in the Old and New Testament.
God the Father, God the Son Jesus Christ, God the Holy Spirit. They are ONE and they are meant to achieve one purpose.
Interesting claim you make regarding that written in Jeremiah 2 vs 13.

According to Jesus Christ, He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life - John 14 vs 6 - and Jesus Christ gifts this Eternal Life that is He to everyone who is born-again in the Life that is He - John 3 vs 9 - 17. In John 3 vs 5 - 8, Jesus literally explained to His followers what it means to be born of the Spirit of Eternal Life. undecided

□ Now, are you trying to get us to believe that Jesus Christ was equally available to all those who lived from even the time of Moses?

□ Are you insinuating that those of the Old Law already had Jesus Christ--- God's New Law ---- all along?

□ Are you insinuating that the people of Old had access to Life in this life and not after death and judgement as set up in the Law of Moses? undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Yoruba Hymn / Top 10 Nigerian Gospel Songs Released In August 2018 / What Has Changed About You Ever Since You Received The Holy Spirit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.