Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,356 members, 7,829,899 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? (9417 Views)

Is Belief In Jesus Enough For Salvation? / Is Water Baptism Necessary For Salvation? / Pastor Drowns While Conducting Baptism At Blood River Village In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by pongwa(m): 9:37pm On Jul 30, 2023
Hanndye:
After the Outer-call or on the radio, after preaching, the preacher would ask those who wish to give their lives to Jesus to repeat certain words after him calling Jesus into their lives. Is this right and Baptism not neccesary?
water baptism is obsolete after Christ. John the baptist did so with water but Christ did his with the Holy Ghost. Hence all you need to be fully saved is to confess your sins, accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Savior and boom the Holy Spirit will come into your life and help you live as a Christian by FAITH
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Akaegwu(m): 9:42pm On Jul 30, 2023
Hanndye:

You hit the nail on the head. So, as it stands, those who aren't baptized are not even Christians yet.
Yes.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 9:47pm On Jul 30, 2023
bixton:
■ They will make heaven if they died in the Lord. There's a reason why Jesus spoke about the parable of the rich man and the poor man who both died. One found himself in Hell and the other I guess you already know. The rich man was even begging Abraham.........
■Understanding the Scripture is paramount to the wholesome believe and faith of the Christian.
Matt.27.52 - and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;
Matt.27.53 - and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.
I hope you understand what the above Bible verse means. It's simple. There are other verses as proofs also but it all depends on your level of understanding to accept them.
Wow... so many words yet nothing tangible to be taken from it.How come? undecided

2. Tell us, what does it mean apart from what it clearly said which is that some dead rose from the grave over 2000 years ago and proceeded into Jerusalem after Jesus Christ also was raised?? undecided
51 When Jesus died, the curtain in the Temple was torn into two pieces. The tear started at the top and tore all the way to the bottom. Also, the earth shook and rocks were broken.
52 The graves opened, and many of God’s people who had died were raised from death.
53 They came out of the graves. And after Jesus was raised from death, they went into the holy city, and many people saw them. - Matthew 27 vs 51 - 53
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Akaegwu(m): 9:59pm On Jul 30, 2023
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
pongwa:
water baptism is obsolete after Christ. John the baptist did so with water but Christ did his with the Holy Ghost. Hence all you need to be fully saved is to confess your sins, accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Savior and boom the Holy Spirit will come into your life and help you live as a Christian by FAITH
John 3 vs 5
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 10:00pm On Jul 30, 2023
pongwa:
■ water baptism is obsolete after Christ.
■ John the baptist did so with water but Christ did his with the Holy Ghost. Hence all you need to be fully saved is to confess your sins, accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Savior and boom the Holy Spirit will come into your life and help you live as a Christian by FAITH
1. Obsolete? Interesting claim

2. John baptized with water alone, but after Jesus Christ arrived, He said that except that not only must one be born of water but one also must be born of Spirit.
1. There was a man named Nicodemus, one of the Pharisees. He was an important Jewish leader.
2 One night he came to Jesus and said, “Teacher, we know that you are a teacher sent from God. No one can do these miraculous signs that you do unless they have God’s help.”
3 Jesus answered, “I assure you, everyone must be born again. Anyone who is not born again cannot be in God’s kingdom.”
4 Nicodemus said, “How can a man who is already old be born again? Can he go back into his mother’s womb and be born a second time?”
5 Jesus answered, “Believe me when I say that everyone must be born from water AND the Spirit. Anyone who is not born from water AND the Spirit cannot enter God’s kingdom.
6 The only life people get from their human parents is physical. But the new life that the Spirit gives a person is spiritual.
7 Don’t be surprised that I told you, ‘You must be born again.’
8 The wind blows wherever it wants to. You hear it, but you don’t know where it is coming from or where it is going. It is the same with everyone who is born from the Spirit.” - John 3 vs 1 - 8
It seems you did not pay much attention to what Jesus Christ in fact said. He did not render the first obsolete. Rather, He added an additional step to what John the Baptist preached. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by xproducer: 10:35pm On Jul 30, 2023
There is nothing wrong with water baptism as a sign/symbolic declaration that one professes with one's tongue the Lord YESHUA, the CHRIST - with belief in one's heart, all by the grace and mercy of GOD (not works).

However, the real washing of a person/soul unto salvation from hell is done by GOD alone with HIS word, the Holy Bible, which is living (Hebrews 4:12-13) and by the Almighty HOLY SPIRIT.

"The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" - 1 Peter 3:21 (Note - physical water baptism does not save anyone).

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." - Ephesians 5:25-27

"Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you." - Ezekiel 36:25

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance. but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire" - Matthew 3:11
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Expanse2020(m): 10:40pm On Jul 30, 2023
bixton:

They will make heaven if they died in the Lord.
There's a reason why Jesus spoke about the parable of the rich man and the poor man who both died. One found himself in Hell and the other I guess you already know. The rich man was even begging Abraham.........

Understanding the Scripture is paramount to the wholesome believe and faith of the Christian.

Matt.27.52 - and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;
Matt.27.53 - and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.

I hope you understand what the above Bible verse means. It's simple.

There are other verses as proofs also but it all depends on your level of understanding to accept them.
Because earlier you said God didn't promised them the kingdom but if they are a saint they should be promised a free kingdom of God... Because Jesus was promised a kingdom so as the followers abi

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Petdagr8t(m): 12:54am On Jul 31, 2023
YungTemy:
So Muslims or followers of other religions worshiping the Almighty God, who haven't been baptized, aren't eligible for Salvation?
Yes for sure, they are not eligible for salvation for they outrightly rejected the only way of salvation which is by believing in the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by maticar: 2:07am On Jul 31, 2023
BigDawsNet:
It's very necessary.. if you want to dine with Jesus christ in Heaven
If someone accepts Jesus on his dying bed and passes on 1hr later nko?

Jesus will refuse him entry?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 2:11am On Jul 31, 2023
maticar:
■ If someone accepts Jesus on his dying bed and passes on 1hr later nko? Jesus will refuse him entry?
It would be meaningless to rush all so one can enter into the Kingdom of God via the Broad Gate which leads to Hell as that is most like you would be able to accomplish in 1 hour. undecided

In order to qualify for Heaven, one has to — and this after gaining access into the Kingdom of God via the Narrow gate that leads to true life—live in continuous submission and obedience for a period of at least 3+ years in order to attain Holiness without which no man shall see God, and also be approved righteous by God. So, this isn't something that should be rushed by anyone. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by maticar: 2:19am On Jul 31, 2023
obonujoker:
It's advisable. To fulfil all righteousness.
You are getting there

It is advised, it is recommended as to show obedience to Christ and symbolic of his death(immersion) and rising(coming out) with him.

That said his death on the cross is enough for salvation and the faith in his death is enough to give us heaven.

Hence I asked the other responder

"if someone accepts Christ on his death bed and dies an hour later without being baptized, are we saying Jesus will deny him entry to heaven"?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by maticar: 2:23am On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:
It would be meaningless to rush all so one can enter into the Kingdom of God via the Broad Gate which leads to Hell as that is most like you would be able to accomplish in 1 hour. undecided

In order to qualify for Heaven, one has to — and this after gaining access into the Kingdom of God via the Narrow gate that leads to true life—live in continuous submission and obedience for a period of at least 3+ years in order to attain Holiness without which no man shall see God, and also be approved righteous by God. So, this isn't something that should be rushed by anyone. undecided
LOL

What is this?

So the thief on the cross didn't make heaven? By your submission

Where did you get this doctrine from?
Is this scriptural?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 2:28am On Jul 31, 2023
maticar:
■ LOL. What is this? So the thief on the cross didn't make heaven? By your submission. Where did you get this doctrine from. Is this scriptural?
WOW! Where in the world did you get Heaven from in this abeg shocked

Do you recall what Jesus Christ in fact told the thief on the cross? undecided
39 One of the criminals hanging there began to shout insults at Jesus: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Then save yourself, and save us too!”
40 But the other criminal stopped him. He said, “You should fear God. All of us will die soon.
41 You and I are guilty. We deserve to die because we did wrong. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you begin ruling as king!”
43 Then Jesus said to him, “I promise you, today you will be with me in paradise.” - Luke 23 vs 39 - 43
Paradise is where Jesus Christ was that same day, right? Well, according to Jesus Christ Himself, He was in the grave, that day and the 2 days that followed that day.
21 From that time Jesus began telling his followers that he must go to Jerusalem. He explained that the older Jewish leaders, the leading priests, and the teachers of the law would make him suffer many things. And he told his followers that he must be killed. Then, on the third day, he would be raised from death.- Matthew 16 vs 21
32 Jesus and those with him were on their way to Jerusalem. He was at the front of the group. His followers were wondering what was happening, and the people who followed behind them were feeling afraid. Jesus gathered the twelve apostles again and talked with them alone. He told them what would happen in Jerusalem.
33 He said, “We are going to Jerusalem. The Son of Man will be handed over to the leading priests and teachers of the law. They will say that he must die and will hand him over to the foreigners,
34 who will laugh at him and spit on him. They will beat him with whips and kill him. But on the third day after his death, he will rise to life again.”. - Mark 10 vs 32 - 34
22 Then Jesus said, “The Son of Man must suffer many things. He will be rejected by the older Jewish leaders, the leading priests, and teachers of the law. And he will be killed. But after three days he will be raised from death.” - Luke 9 vs 22
What all that means is that Paradise is simply a reference to the grave where Jesus Christ was for 3 days. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 2:57am On Jul 31, 2023
ichuka:

So the thief on the cross later came down, went to Jordan and was baptized before entering paradise ?
Do you recall what Jesus Christ in fact told the thief on the cross? undecided
39 One of the criminals hanging there began to shout insults at Jesus: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Then save yourself, and save us too!”
40 But the other criminal stopped him. He said, “You should fear God. All of us will die soon.
41 You and I are guilty. We deserve to die because we did wrong. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you begin ruling as king!”
43 Then Jesus said to him, “I promise you, today you will be with me in paradise.” - Luke 23 vs 39 - 43
Paradise is where Jesus Christ was that same day, right? Well, according to Jesus Christ Himself, He was in the grave, that day and the 2 days that followed that day.
21 From that time Jesus began telling his followers that he must go to Jerusalem. He explained that the older Jewish leaders, the leading priests, and the teachers of the law would make him suffer many things. And he told his followers that he must be killed. Then, on the third day, he would be raised from death.- Matthew 16 vs 21
32 Jesus and those with him were on their way to Jerusalem. He was at the front of the group. His followers were wondering what was happening, and the people who followed behind them were feeling afraid. Jesus gathered the twelve apostles again and talked with them alone. He told them what would happen in Jerusalem.
33 He said, “We are going to Jerusalem. The Son of Man will be handed over to the leading priests and teachers of the law. They will say that he must die and will hand him over to the foreigners,
34 who will laugh at him and spit on him. They will beat him with whips and kill him. But on the third day after his death, he will rise to life again.”. - Mark 10 vs 32 - 34
22 Then Jesus said, “The Son of Man must suffer many things. He will be rejected by the older Jewish leaders, the leading priests, and teachers of the law. And he will be killed. But after three days he will be raised from death.” - Luke 9 vs 22
What all that means is that Paradise is simply a reference to the grave where Jesus Christ was for 3 days. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by blahc007: 5:54am On Jul 31, 2023
tctrills:

This is clearly your opinion and you are entitled to it. Now let's read what your Lord Jesus Christ taught.
John 3.5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
It's obvious you aren't a believer...

You read a passage of the bible and brought it here to come and argue....

Its always funny, when people boldly talk about what they know not
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by obonujoker(m): 6:35am On Jul 31, 2023
maticar:

You are getting there

It is advised, it is recommended as to show obedience to Christ and symbolic of his death(immersion) and rising(coming out) with him.

That said his death on the cross is enough for salvation and the faith in his death is enough to give us heaven.

Hence I asked the other responder

"if someone accepts Christ on his death bed and dies an hour later without being baptized, are we saying Jesus will deny him entry to heaven"?

I don't think so. Remember the thief on the cross. Remember the fathers of faith of old.

However the advice is not to take chances while one is still alive , and there's time to fulfil all things Jesus commanded and did.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Saig: 6:39am On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Water baptism does not wash away your sins nor does it forgive your sins. undecided

Salvation referenced in Mark 16 vs 15 - 17 is the same Salvation described by Jesus Christ in John 3 vs 1 - 21 and there is no mention of washing away of sins or forgiveness of sins by Him. undecided

Why not go and read those Bible passages. What is difficult there to understand
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by BigDawsNet: 6:43am On Jul 31, 2023
maticar:

If someone accepts Jesus on his dying bed and passes on 1hr later nko?

Jesus will refuse him entry?

If you confess your sin before you die... you may still have hope...
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by dsupremeoley(m): 7:37am On Jul 31, 2023
If the Bible is True,
If the written word is God's word then this verse should attempt to answer you:
1 Timothy 2:5(KJV) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by dsupremeoley(m): 7:40am On Jul 31, 2023
YungTemy:
So Muslims or followers of other religions worshiping the Almighty God, who haven't been baptized, aren't eligible for Salvation?
*If the Bible is True*
If the written word is God's word then this verse should attempt to answer you:
1 Timothy 2:5(KJV) For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 7:50am On Jul 31, 2023
[quote author=Expanse2020 post=124770390][/quote]

It is not I who said that God did not promise them His kingdom but nairaland's Kobojunkie who goes around the platform doing the work of his master who is full of deceit.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 7:55am On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Wow... so many words yet nothing tangible to be taken from it.How come? undecided

2. Tell us, what does it mean apart from what it clearly said which is that some dead rose from the grave over 2000 years ago and proceeded into Jerusalem after Jesus Christ also was raised?? undecided

If you read Scripture and can still say there's nothing tangible to be taken from it then it clearly shows either you are completely blinded in understanding (literal and spiritual) or possibly you're full of deceit and mischief just like Satan.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by tctrills: 8:04am On Jul 31, 2023
blahc007:

It's obvious you aren't a believer...

You read a passage of the bible and brought it here to come and argue....

Its always funny, when people boldly talk about what they know not

You claim to be a believer yet you don't believe the words of Jesus Christ.
If you don't accept the word from a passage how are you a Christian?
People like you only believe in selected verses that your pastor told you and the rest of the bible means nothing to you.
If Jesus says that you can't be saved without baptism, I would believe him and not you.
You say I talk about what I don't know when I only pointed you to the very words of Jesus Christ. Oga at least, I know the words of my Savior. What do you know?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by bixton(m): 8:05am On Jul 31, 2023
YungTemy:

No matter what religion one claim to be of, you cannot worship God without first to have acknowledged Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the giver of God's Salvation unto mankind. He is our Saviour and Lord. If you miss Him, you miss God's Salvation for your soul.

Read this verses well and ask yourself if Isam is of God to bring Salvation....

These verses below talks about Islam and what it entails....

Gal.4.21 - Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law?
Gal.4.22 - For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman.
Gal.4.23 - But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise,
Gal.4.24 - which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar--
Gal.4.25 - for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children--
Gal.4.26 - but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.
Gal.4.27 - For it is written: "Rejoice, O barren, You who do not bear! Break forth and shout, You who are not in labor! For the desolate has many more children Than she who has a husband."
Gal.4.28 - Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.
Gal.4.29 - But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now.
Gal.4.30 - Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? "Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman."
Gal.4.31 - So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by staga: 8:15am On Jul 31, 2023
Hhansome:
grin

I am from a Christian home. I honestly believe in God but not in the way of African.

Una never want tell us the truth of what is in the bible.

Bible is doctored!
You cannot claim to believe in God and yet say His Word is doctored. You are fake!
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Expanse2020(m): 8:20am On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:

It is not I who said that God did not promise them His kingdom but nairaland's Kobojunkie who goes around the platform doing the work of his master who is full of deceit.
Lol
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by emmyileri(m): 8:50am On Jul 31, 2023
What does it mean to be born of water and Spirit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCBH_UHWsrE&t=499s
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 9:07am On Jul 31, 2023
Saig:
■ Why not go and read those Bible passages. What is difficult there to understand
I should go read Bible passages that say nothing of what you claim is order to? undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 9:07am On Jul 31, 2023
BigDawsNet:
■ If you confess your sin before you die... you may still have hope...
There is no truth to that lie. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Kobojunkie: 9:10am On Jul 31, 2023
bixton:
■ If you read Scripture and can still say there's nothing tangible to be taken from it then it clearly shows either you are completely blinded in understanding (literal and spiritual) or possibly you're full of deceit and mischief just like Satan.
Scripture is not the problem here. What contains no tangible takeaway is the response you attempted to weave from what is boldly proclaimed in Scripture. undecided
Again, what is it that you claim that passage says? Speak up make we hear you. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by BigDawsNet: 9:11am On Jul 31, 2023
Kobojunkie:
There is no truth to that lie. undecided

Even if you confess your sin... there are some sin that will not go on punish like murder... but apart from that.. if you commit your ways and seek for forgiveness before you die... I'm pretty sure you will get a chance
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DrDunamis(m): 9:16am On Jul 31, 2023
Hhansome:
grin

I am from a Christian home. I honestly believe in God but not in the way of African.

Una never want tell us the truth of what is in the bible.

Bible is doctored!

Have you read it to find out for yourself?
Na you doctor am or nurse am?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Create Your Own Spells,manifest Your Will! / Steps To Embracing The New Thing That God Wants To Do In Your Life. / Atheists, Christians And Muslims - Lets Study These Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.