Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees (58339 Views)

Aluminium Window, At BENIN CITY With Grey Glass / ACEVILLE ESTATE - Secure Land in Emerging Epe City with just N100k Deposit Only! / See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Armaggedon: 10:20pm On Aug 13, 2023
Angelfrost:
Greedy Southerners... Especially Southeast and South-south. SMH.

Not one of the citizens and residents of Asaba, Owerri, Enugu, etc, can intelligently explain why Rents are outrageously high... Not one!

I mean, workers there don't earn more than workers in Ibadan or Abeokuta... Owerri can't even boast of industries... Job opportunities are literally almost nonexistent...

Yet cost of living is trying to keep pace with Lagos and Abuja.

Tell me how crimes and vices won't be astronomical... So stupid!
newer and more modern houses are the reason.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Abujaexpress: 10:21pm On Aug 13, 2023
YouandiAllofus:

And I bet the rent doesn't come cheap?
A room self-contained apartment goes for as high as 750 to 800k in major cities, while places like Kubwa and environs, same goes for 250k to 400k.

In Bwari areas and Nyanya axis, it could be lower

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Cantonese: 10:21pm On Aug 13, 2023
90dbest:
Ode, you don't know that most houses in asaba are built by Onitsha-based business men. In fact, asaba is a spill over development from onitsha.

No, most houses in Asaba are built by Asaba people, who are the indigenes there, other citizens of Delta state and then lastly a few from across the Niger who are traders predominantly.

The development of Asaba is largely owing to the fact of its status as the state capital. Lands in Asaba were relatively easy and cheap to get in the late 1990s. Then you could get lands for less than 100k. The rush began in the democratic era, with Asaba’s status.

That does not take away in anyway the contributions of those across the Niger River. Their efforts were not restricted to Asaba only. They got properties in the entire Delta state, because it was far cheaper than the other side of the river. Therefore if you look at Igbuzor, Ogwashi, Agbor, Abraka, Sapele, Ughelli, Warri you will find SE property owners there.

6 Likes

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Ezmans: 10:22pm On Aug 13, 2023
Edipet:
Till date I don't still understand why person go leave him village/ lhouse go dey hustle for another Man village, then use the money just to pay house rent bill, buy food. Pay NEPA bill,pay high transport, Maybe hire experience olosho, at the end he might die without achieving anything part from paying those bills. Whereas in his village, there is free accommodation, cheap food, fresh food, farmland to plant of the things, cheap NEPA bill, cheap transportation and cheap girls .
Human never know wetin them want. We over labour ourselves unnecessarily. And animals will be laughing at us.
How can we be earning salary just for bills and House and food.
ur talk make sense

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Jsucre(m): 10:22pm On Aug 13, 2023
Abuja, Abuja why you no go Nassarawa
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by DenreleDave(m): 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2023
KingsleyodafeUG:

E no go better for you Kingsley Odafe Ipob ugm killer if you no release the video

You think you can blackmail anyone as you black mail Hungerbad before his death

E no go better for your mama for awka and your Generation

Did people blackmailed Hungerbad b4 his death...

Abeg kindly update me.... Hungerbad was a good man and a philanthropist.. What did he do that dey blackmail him for

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Owochogod: 10:34pm On Aug 13, 2023
Wetin dey Enugu state wey i go pay such amount? dat okpa state

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by APOSTLECHUMA: 10:34pm On Aug 13, 2023
I live in Trans and looking for 3 bed room apartment in upper North for a relation, I was told 1.5m just the rent alone. Enugu has turned into something else.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Agugbadin: 10:35pm On Aug 13, 2023
Enugu is in Igboland,Hmmmmmmm.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Rapmoney(m): 10:44pm On Aug 13, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Huh?
That's a "self-contained" apartment for a summary fee of 550K?

Yes
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by ezewealth(m): 10:44pm On Aug 13, 2023
Enugu pay more costly rent Dan Lagos and abuja. No be even say water dey, average rent for one bedroom flat is 350k every year, two bedrooms 500k, 3 bedrooms 700k. For average brow area like achara layout, uwani, maryland district. For independent area, GRA, new heaven that one na die.
You fit see low rent for amache, one day, gariki, emene, akpapa, that if you don't care about your sanity

7 Likes

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by ojojonkembu: 10:47pm On Aug 13, 2023
Do not mind the useless people that do not no how much they sell a single block for building.every dick and Harry in Enugu now is an agent.lazy man job!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by InvertedHammer: 10:48pm On Aug 13, 2023
/
That's what happens when there is no government oversight and the state is on autopilot(no pun intended). How can any reasonable person charge 50% agency fee and people are paying? So the total charges is more than 100% of rent. Ridiculous!

/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by BANUSO79: 10:51pm On Aug 13, 2023
Sense dey your head
author=Edipet post=125089757]Till date I don't still understand why person go leave him village/ lhouse go dey hustle for another Man village, then use the money just to pay house rent bill, buy food. Pay NEPA bill,pay high transport, Maybe hire experience olosho, at the end he might die without achieving anything part from paying those bills. Whereas in his village, there is free accommodation, cheap food, fresh food, farmland to plant of the things, cheap NEPA bill, cheap transportation and cheap girls .
Human never know wetin them want. We over labour ourselves unnecessarily. And animals will be laughing at us.
How can we be earning salary just for bills and House and food. [/quote]

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by grandstar(m): 10:57pm On Aug 13, 2023
englishmart:
You can get a well-furnished two bedroom flat for 180k in Karmo, Jiwa, Gwagwa, Tasha, Akaraka, etc, Abuja.

How true is this?
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Benwallt(m): 11:11pm On Aug 13, 2023
YouandiAllofus:
Abuja, lagos, rivers, delta, enugu etc... The situation is almost thesame in city areas.
Country hard, no work anywhere, property owers/ landlords are increasing rents like they are increasing volume!

You must compare
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Tymk: 11:12pm On Aug 13, 2023
YouandiAllofus:
Abuja, lagos, rivers, delta, enugu etc... The situation is almost thesame in city areas.
Country hard, no work anywhere, property owers/ landlords are increasing rents like they are increasing volume!
dey shut up sometimes. 100k agent fee for 200k house ?
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by obynno7(m): 11:14pm On Aug 13, 2023
I stay in Enugu and and i do real Estate agent as a side hustle ,I can tell you the reason for this is because the demand for accommodation is high in Enugu which made Enugu landlord to increase the rent and mind you all that 90% of those fees goes to the landlord most times the agent fee of 100k the landlord will divide the money into two and give half of it to the agents after collecting the legal , management and caution fee so pls don't blame the agent that help you to secure the house rather blame the greedy landlords

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by stanluiz(m): 11:19pm On Aug 13, 2023
Angelfrost:
Greedy Southerners... Especially Southeast and South-south. SMH.

Not one of the citizens and residents of Asaba, Owerri, Enugu, etc, can intelligently explain why Rents are outrageously high... Not one!

I mean, workers there don't earn more than workers in Ibadan or Abeokuta... Owerri can't even boast of industries... Job opportunities are literally almost nonexistent...

Yet cost of living is trying to keep pace with Lagos and Abuja.

Tell me how crimes and vices won't be astronomical... So stupid!
The thing tire me.
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by SMARTMOTORS(m): 11:20pm On Aug 13, 2023
Blame it on Yahoo boys

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by JaneYave(f): 11:24pm On Aug 13, 2023
englishmart:
You can get a well-furnished two bedroom flat for 180k in Karmo, Jiwa, Gwagwa, Tasha, Akaraka, etc, Abuja.
Wow. Unbelievable!
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by JaneYave(f): 11:26pm On Aug 13, 2023
Merch:
Most house agents in enugu stay in uncompleted buildings grin
imagine 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Cromagnon: 11:27pm On Aug 13, 2023
Rapmoney:
I have visited so many cities in Nigeria due to my interest in the property business and I think Enugu is one of the most frustrating place to search for accommodation in Nigeria.

Read carefully. I am not talking about the general cost of apartments here. I am talking about the outrageous and unnecessary fees that these greedy and selfish Shylocks who call themselves property agents charge in Enugu.

It will interest you to know that the neighbouring states around are very different to what is obtainable in Enugu.

TYPICAL COST OF BED-SITTER/ONE ROOM IN ENUGU:

1 year rent = 200k/250k
Agent fee = 100k
Agreement fee = 100k
Caution fee = 50k
Management fee = 50k

Total = 500k/550k

Now, a young man who earns 50k as salary (average salary of a graduate in Enugu) is expected to pay 500k-550k for a bedsitter apartment for a year! If it was an industrialized city like Detroit, Amsterdam, Dubai, Los Angeles or Leeds, it would have been different but not a place that has civil servants and small business people as the greater part of the population.

Just because say you show me one room apartment, I go give you 100k!!!

stay ya village na
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by GeneralKoko(m): 11:27pm On Aug 13, 2023
Finestgurlie:
Asaba oooo
I saw shege
2 bedroom 500
agent 250k
caution 50k
lawyer 50k
ego oji 40k (depending on the landlord )
total package almost 1 million Naira

haaaa

Agency fee is 10% of rent. They ripped you!
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by iFESTAC680(m): 11:35pm On Aug 13, 2023
Ade1177:

Only Government can intervene

But govt sef are worse

You'll be amazed some landlords without agent
Collect full 100k
No lawyer
Still collect 100k
No nothing in the house
Still collect 50k

In my presence in lagos
Even the agent that took us to the house

Out of the extra 250k

Na 30k landlord gave the 2 of them said they should manage it

Agents now asking us to add something for them

Govt needs to check these landlords

And developers especially

Exactly my experience, I had to still give the agent #5k after paying 300k agency, agreement and caution fee to the landlord, this is almost 40% of the rent.

They need to be regulated honestly!!!!
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Cromagnon: 11:35pm On Aug 13, 2023
Edipet:
Till date I don't still understand why person go leave him village/ lhouse go dey hustle for another Man village, then use the money just to pay house rent bill, buy food. Pay NEPA bill,pay high transport, Maybe hire experience olosho, at the end he might die without achieving anything part from paying those bills. Whereas in his village, there is free accommodation, cheap food, fresh food, farmland to plant of the things, cheap NEPA bill, cheap transportation and cheap girls .
How can we be earning salary just for bills and House and food.
city life easier than farm life

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Liberated: 11:40pm On Aug 13, 2023
Undiluted and exploitative greed explains this anomaly. This is coupled with the fact that you would also have to buy water for almost everything you do in the city as public water supply is very limited.
Even govt at all levels are ambivalent about this matter.

4 Likes

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by saintruky(m): 12:17am On Aug 14, 2023
englishmart:

I want o
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by 4lashy(m): 12:57am On Aug 14, 2023
The housing situation in most State Capital is just crazy. Yet, here I am with a 4 bedroom bungalow up for rent in Abeokuta at 500k per annum. People still dey make yanga and no wọn collect am.

4 Likes

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by uvie66: 1:05am On Aug 14, 2023
Cantonese:
OP your topic is mischievous, tribalistic and shows an attempt to ridicule some people.

Maybe you hear of Maitama in Abuja only in the news. Ask any agent how much one room self contained costs in Maitama and Asokoro.

You may also choose to ask how much one room self contained costs in Ikoyi, V/I, Lekki phase 1 and Ikeja, especially off Allen avenue and Adeniyi Jones area. All those will disproof your claim about Enugu and show you that Enugu’s rent is not in anyway comparable to the aforementioned areas.
... but ne wasn't talking about the rent per say, but th charges associated with it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? / Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar / Hidden Secrets Of Borehole Drilling, Geo-physical Survey, Water Treatment Etc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.