Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,563 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees (58344 Views)

Aluminium Window, At BENIN CITY With Grey Glass / ACEVILLE ESTATE - Secure Land in Emerging Epe City with just N100k Deposit Only! / See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Sammy5413(m): 9:53am On Aug 14, 2023
I thought you call them ndi wawa?
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by JerryJude(m): 10:01am On Aug 14, 2023
This is Exactly what is happening in Lagos now, just last week friday, Agent is telling me Agent fee and Commision for 2bedroom is 400k, Rent 700k per anum. The landlord said you must pay 1year 6months..it is frustrating, the price for 1bedroom is now 500k-600k in Lagos. a bedsiiter 300k-400k per anum... I don't know what's happening in Lagos. landlords want old tenants to move out so that they increase the rent immediately for intending new tenants. its so bad in Lagos right now. mind you most of the room and parlour are so small that they can't contained 6x6 size of bed. so annoying. very sad that we find ourselves in this kind unfortunate situation in lagos right now...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by 90dbest: 10:03am On Aug 14, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

After insulting the people of SS by calling the person ode in your initial post, you got a nice and calm response, you still find a way to bring in the SW into your insult.
Only God knows how you relate with people around you
run along with your useless SS rubbish. Asaba is Igbo town,
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by 90dbest: 10:06am On Aug 14, 2023
Graficient:

Biggest ode, I didn't dispute that some of the houses were built by Anambra people. But you should be asking yourself why those on rent in Asaba decided to be paying the extremely high rents in Asaba instead of staying at onitsha where you claim rent is cheap. Ekpa
you be Ode what do you know about Igbo city. Thats how you people stay in rundown oshogbo and be commenting about what u do know.
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Badadvisor: 10:13am On Aug 14, 2023
APOSTLECHUMA:
I live in Trans and looking for 3 bed room apartment in upper North for a relation, I was told 1.5m just the rent alone. Enugu has turned into something else.
Paying 800k for a complete one bed in thinkers can you imagine
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by lawani: 10:20am On Aug 14, 2023
When there is no market for a product, it means that such a product can not be sold. Nobody living in Enugu can pay the charges mentioned by the OP. The claim by the OP is therefore false
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by tunjilana: 10:20am On Aug 14, 2023
I think the digital economy has reduced the effect of physical industrial activities on rent.

Even places with no economic activity are beginning to have rent increases due to online workers and yahoo boiz.

Once electricity supply is good and the city is conducive for living

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Myer(m): 10:25am On Aug 14, 2023
Edipet:
Till date I don't still understand why person go leave him village/ lhouse go dey hustle for another Man village, then use the money just to pay house rent bill, buy food. Pay NEPA bill,pay high transport, Maybe hire experience olosho, at the end he might die without achieving anything part from paying those bills. Whereas in his village, there is free accommodation, cheap food, fresh food, farmland to plant of the things, cheap NEPA bill, cheap transportation and cheap girls .
Human never know wetin them want. We over labour ourselves unnecessarily. And animals will be laughing at us.
How can we be earning salary just for bills and House and food.
It's what you get when the curse on Adam meets the curse on Cain.
A toiling and wandering spirit motivated by love of money and pleasures.

Only Christ can deliver one from such bondage. It's a vicious cycle.
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Badadvisor: 10:28am On Aug 14, 2023
HRMK:
IN ENUGU STATE?I WONT BELIEVE YOU!HALF A MILLION FOR A ROOM?ITS SIMPLY OUTRAGEOUS!!
Bro one bed room in certain areas like gra, thinkers corner (around chime estate), independence layout and some parts of premier layout goes for 700k and above.
I'm paying 800k for a complete one bed apartment in thinkers estate

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Badadvisor: 10:33am On Aug 14, 2023
erniok:

Enugu pays more rent than Lagos? Can you pay 1.5m annually in a place like Gbagada? If pikin never taste other soups, e dey say d mama own na the sweetest.
You no even call magodo
Lagos is just a different kind of crazy fr
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by GorillaApp(m): 10:35am On Aug 14, 2023
seanwilliam:

To me, regardless of the city you work or live, if you’re paying house rent of 500k/1m , there’s nothing bad if you have your own land even if you’re yet to develop it.

Every city has developing area in Nigeria , even Lagos( ikd,bdg) you’ll still see a piece of land for 1m, it’s not a must for you to live at the city center especially if your kind of job doesn’t REALLY demand it. Infact in Ibadan, you’ll still see a plot of land in a developing but viable location for 700k.

One guy just bought a plot of land with his 800k savings , total package three days ago, he wanted to rent new apartee with the money, I told him not to, I said ‘ if you can’t run business with the money , then buy a land ‘

If you can come up with 500k house rent, you should be able to afford 1m land, even if na to pay twice.. na wetin person no search for him no go see !.

I have a friend who just renewed his house rent at ajah , almost 2m naira and this chap doesn’t own a plot of land. He’s been living there for 3 years, in his word ‘ he wants to buy house in lekki’. He’ll be running helter skelter any time rent is due .
Question is what if it doesn’t work out at the end? What will you fall back to.

Nigeria is hard, but person must be extremely wise and frugal with the little you earn in other to survive.
Valid points my brother. I was looking at the other side of the divide. How many graduates can really afford 500k rent? In a place like Enugu?
I tow same position you mentioned up there

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by erniok(m): 11:08am On Aug 14, 2023
Badadvisor:

You no even call magodo
Lagos is just a different kind of crazy fr
I no wan carry go lekki where dem dey pay 3m and above.
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Skilino(m): 11:21am On Aug 14, 2023
Na wa ooo
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by 00FFT00(m): 11:24am On Aug 14, 2023
Fifthaout:
All the other fees aside the house rent are one-offs nah sad

The house rent is 200k. Period! sad

Estate Agent spotted.
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by lawani: 11:32am On Aug 14, 2023
Badadvisor:

Bro one bed room in certain areas like gra, thinkers corner (around chime estate), independence layout and some parts of premier layout goes for 700k and above.
I'm paying 800k for a complete one bed apartment in thinkers estate

Where are you working in Enugu?. Which company?. The average Fresh graduate salary earner in an average Nigerian city can not afford 800k per annum for a one room apartment. Enugu is in the category of Calabar, Osogbo, Ilesa, Ile Ife, Sokoto and etc. There is no reason for you to pay such an amount for such an accomodation in a city like Enugu because the jobs that can support the payment literally don't exist in Enugu
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Omodua(m): 12:23pm On Aug 14, 2023
Rapmoney:
I have visited so many cities in Nigeria due to my interest in the property business and I think Enugu is one of the most frustrating place to search for accommodation in Nigeria.

Read carefully. I am not talking about the general cost of apartments here. I am talking about the outrageous and unnecessary fees that these greedy and selfish Shylocks who call themselves property agents charge in Enugu.

It will interest you to know that the neighbouring states around are very different to what is obtainable in Enugu.

TYPICAL COST OF BED-SITTER/ONE ROOM IN ENUGU:

1 year rent = 200k/250k
Agent fee = 100k
Agreement fee = 100k
Caution fee = 50k
Management fee = 50k

Total = 500k/550k

Now, a young man who earns 50k as salary (average salary of a graduate in Enugu) is expected to pay 500k-550k for a bedsitter apartment for a year! If it was an industrialized city like Detroit, Amsterdam, Dubai, Los Angeles or Leeds, it would have been different but not a place that has civil servants and small business people as the greater part of the population.

Just because say you show me one room apartment, I go give you 100k!!!

Not peculiar to Enugu. Same scenario in Lagos, Port Harcourt and Benin.
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Menclothing: 12:52pm On Aug 14, 2023
PepeXKermit:

The ones wey una no go maintain abi?

They will even use it to make money

It’s on rental

All over the world district government invest in real estate for income generation
They get land free

Each local should have housing estate for rent
Cities should have minimum of 10 000 apartments for rent

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by millionboi2: 12:57pm On Aug 14, 2023
CaptainFM1:
As a home owner, I don't use agents but my rental form fee is 20k. I do see people complaining about that too, but when I explain to them that the fee is for me to run around and do background checks and also carry out vetting process on them, those that are serious understand and are willing to pay it.

From what I've noticed so far, it's always tug of war between Landlord and tenants once the vetting process and due diligence is not done when taking in tenants. Most tenants lie in their forms and most hungry landlords are quick to giving out property without checking /enquire thoroughly about the tenants they are taking.
apart from the tenant commiting crime,you killing urself over her information is useless....
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by winner37(m): 12:57pm On Aug 14, 2023
Edipet:
Till date I don't still understand why person go leave him village/ lhouse go dey hustle for another Man village, then use the money just to pay house rent bill, buy food. Pay NEPA bill,pay high transport, Maybe hire experience olosho, at the end he might die without achieving anything part from paying those bills. Whereas in his village, there is free accommodation, cheap food, fresh food, farmland to plant of the things, cheap NEPA bill, cheap transportation and cheap girls .
Human never know wetin them want. We over labour ourselves unnecessarily. And animals will be laughing at us.
How can we be earning salary just for bills and House and food.

I think this person is an incomplete human being or might be under the influence of alcohol or wed .... Ode !!!
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by PepeXKermit: 1:11pm On Aug 14, 2023
Menclothing:

It’s on rental

All over the world district government invest in real estate for income generation
They get land free

na nigeria u dey tell all these ones? we have to go back to regional government in this country. That was the only time Nigeria looked like it was heading on a trajectory of greaness, but they really wanted to spite Igbos, so your dear Gowon killed off regional governance.
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by lawani: 1:27pm On Aug 14, 2023
Menclothing:

It’s on rental

They get land free

A big city can have hundreds of thousands actually. Very good investment
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by lawani: 1:30pm On Aug 14, 2023
PepeXKermit:

na nigeria u dey tell all these ones? we have to go back to regional government in this country. That was the only time Nigeria looked like it was heading on a trajectory of greaness, but they really wanted to spite Igbos, so your dear Gowon killed off regional governance.

Regional government really never disappeared because nobody is forcing any LG or state to depend on federal allocations. Lagos is not.
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by PepeXKermit: 1:47pm On Aug 14, 2023
lawani:

Regional government really never disappeared because nobody is forcing any LG or state to depend on federal allocations. Lagos is not.

how did it not dissapear?
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by lawani: 2:24pm On Aug 14, 2023
PepeXKermit:

how did it not dissapear?

You seem not to understand. For example, if Nigeria returns to true federalism, then Lagos may not like it because they will have to be sending a portion of their IGR to Abuja. The question is why are other states not like Lagos when the average state has over five hundred thousand income earners with people earning millions of naira monthly among them?. Why can't they be like Lagos?.
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Cromagnon: 2:53pm On Aug 14, 2023
Rapmoney:

One greedy Enugu agent spotted.
Ok na
Mowu see who go win
Demand or supply
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Mcslize: 3:14pm On Aug 14, 2023
22o62021:

My area, it's hard to see a one bedroom o

It's a commercial area, it's mostly shops and warehouses they build.

You will see dope one bedroom at obe sapele road.

Ok. But how is the light situation at Obe Sapele road? Is light a bit constant there?
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by 22o62021: 3:26pm On Aug 14, 2023
Mcslize:

Ok. But how is the light situation at Obe Sapele road? Is light a bit constant there?

About 15 hours per day
Or less

I live close to Bedc headquarters
But not much nice houses
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Luckysbab: 3:43pm On Aug 14, 2023
Abujaexpress:
I have a shortly of different specs and prices - 40k to 100k per night

Monthly charge?
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Abujaexpress: 4:16pm On Aug 14, 2023
Luckysbab:

Monthly charge?
For shortlet?
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by Luckysbab: 4:35pm On Aug 14, 2023
Abujaexpress:
For shortlet?

Of course, I've come across a couple of such.
Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by CaptainFM1: 6:14pm On Aug 14, 2023
millionboi2:
apart from the tenant commiting crime,you killing urself over her information is useless....

Well, it might be useless to you but nothing is useless to me. The devil is in the details. It might shock you that my rental form includes submitting adequate financial records and character attestations. Not to mention submitting comprehensive bio and work related information.

And I don't stop at just filling forms and take a bow like Nigerian senators. I physically check all information supplied are accurate. I take my time out to visit wherever they said they are working, confirm their financial and credit status with the banks among others.

I suppose that's why they pay 20k for the Pre-Rental and vetting form. I notify people that passed the vetting processes to proceed with payment, whilst reserving rights whether to inform or not to inform clients whose application form did not scale through.

Most client, once they collect my rental application form don't even bother submitting it because they simply can't complete several or few important information or questions been asked. So, they self filtered themselves away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees by HRMK: 6:18pm On Aug 14, 2023
haba!even lagos and ph are not up to that! any reason why this is so?no enough houses or what exactly?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? / Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar / Hidden Secrets Of Borehole Drilling, Geo-physical Survey, Water Treatment Etc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.