Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,498 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:27 PM

My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry - Romance (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry (29106 Views)

My Girlfriend Mum Is Currently Looking For Me With Police, I'm On The Run! Help / My Mum Is Against My Relationship / Ladies, What's Your Reason for Rejecting Suitors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by placeofallure(f): 4:49pm On Aug 21, 2023
yrhuhfy113:

There are traditional rites and things that can still make it work.

My issue is why weren't you informed EARLY before ever finding a woman.....

Hmm!

My mum started telling me since I was in primary school where she'd want me to marry from. She tailored my lifestyle to a pattern where the probability of meeting her ideal man is high. I eventually fulfilled her dreams but we really weren't chosen for each other. We met on a neutral ground. I'm just lucky. Lucky because he's everything to me and because I didn't have to disobey my mum, she's my world!

Maybe if somebody had told OP this Osu thing earlier, he wouldn't have been at crossroads now.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by RoadMozart(m): 5:00pm On Aug 21, 2023
Babamide:
The yorubas have a saying - The dog that would get lost would not hear the hunters whistle.
Your family are telling you something but you say they are wrong, it is nairalanders that know the correct thing. Continue

Whenever I see my grandma, she always hammers I should never marry from like 3 yoruba dialects.
Can you mention?
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Babamide(m): 5:33pm On Aug 21, 2023
RoadMozart:

Can you mention?
someone already quoted me with a correct answer to one of the tribes
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Ozommadu: 6:00pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jman06:
From my understanding, OSU or OHU or whatever is just a term coined by conmen of yesteryears to take advantage of their fellow humans whose only crime was that they migrated to a land later than others.

The practice is a clear reflection of how selfish and inhuman the black men of those days were.
In those days, people were migrating from one area to another until they found a liveable land to occupy. Once they settled on a land, any other person coming after them is termed an "OSU". Imagine a situation where aboriginal Americans describe immigrants as outcasts!

In some places, especially in Enugu state, the situation is even such that kinsmen who migrated from one place to another also segregated their kinsmen coming behind them and describe them as OSU or Ohu or whatever that is why they bear the same surname. That is why if you trace the origin of some people who are seen as OHUs in one village, you'll discover that same people belong to the so called AMADUs in another village. It is just the greediness and selfishness of humans at play, it has nothing to do with worship of any gods like some people claim.

Oga OSU simply mean the descendants of one who's dedicated to a deity.

I don't know who fed you with such lies that you spilled here.

4 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by membranus: 6:25pm On Aug 21, 2023
theamazonguru:

Not in all cases.
I have a family friend who are Yoruba.
Their daughter wanted to get married to a man she loved and really loved and respected her, but her mother said never, because the man is Ibo.

So eventually she got married to a Yoruba man, the parents were happy.
But guess what this lady was not, it turned out the man he got married to is a beast. Never respected her, never loved her.
She got sick to the point of death, yet she was the one slaving away, no rest even when the husband had no job, it was the sick wife that was working to pay bills and run the family, the said yoruba husband her parent desperately wanted her to marry was just a dead beat husband. Only good at preaching in church but at home never there to care for his sick wife nor give a helping hand.

She died eventually, even the night she died, she messed up on her self right in the car, the stupid husband was only concerned about his car, he kept complaining, oh I just washed this car oh.
Imagine.

May we not meet the wrong spouse.

Fake story just to prove a tribalistic point.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by theamazonguru(m): 6:28pm On Aug 21, 2023
membranus:

Fake story just to prove a tribalistic point.

Do I have to prove anything to you?
For your info, I am yoruba myself, so there is no tribalistic point to be proved anywhere.

I stated it as it happened.

This is a faceless forum.

I have nothing to gain or loose by faking a story that never happened.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by membranus: 6:34pm On Aug 21, 2023
theamazonguru:

Do I have to prove anything you?
For your info, I am yoruba myself, so there is no tribalistic point to be probed anywhere.

I stated it as it happened.

This is a faceless forum.

I have nothing to gain or loose by faking a story that never happened.

Okay. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by yinkbell: 6:44pm On Aug 21, 2023
Dshocker:

Ohafia women are known to make a terrible wife, they like to dominate and cage their husband & they also cheat in marriage.

But your girl might be different, who knows.

Are there no born again christians in Ohafia?
Thanks for your last statement.
Everyone that leaves Adam and enter into Christ Jesus is a new creation.

When it comes to choosing wife or husband, one thing that is important is being born again christians.
God is a loving Father , He will lead anyone who seeks his face or enquire from Him about his or her life partner.
Race, tribe, colour, education, race, geographical locations do not really matter when it comes to choosing partner.

What is more important is godliness.
The true godliness that comes from Christ Jesus.
If a man finds a wife, he findeth a good thing and obtaineth favour from the Lord!
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Jman06(m): 7:16pm On Aug 21, 2023
Ozommadu:

Oga OSU simply mean the descendants of one who's dedicated to a deity.

I don't know who fed you with such lies that you spilled here.
And you believe that anybody descended from a deity The term is generally used by conmen when they want to take political and economic advantage of others. Simple! It is what it is

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by MySolace: 7:56pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jman06:
From my understanding, OSU or OHU or whatever is just a term coined by conmen of yesteryears to take advantage of their fellow humans whose only crime was that they migrated to a land later than others.

The practice is a clear reflection of how selfish and inhuman the black men of those days were.
In those days, people were migrating from one area to another until they found a liveable land to occupy. Once they settled on a land, any other person coming after them is termed an "OSU". Imagine a situation where aboriginal Americans describe immigrants as outcasts!

In some places, especially in Enugu state, the situation is even such that kinsmen who migrated from one place to another also segregated their kinsmen coming behind them and describe them as OSU or Ohu or whatever that is why they bear the same surname. That is why if you trace the origin of some people who are seen as OHUs in one village, you'll discover that same people belong to the so called AMADUs in another village. It is just the greediness and selfishness of humans at play, it has nothing to do with worship of any gods like some people claim.
My brother we share same notion.
Humans are just being unnecessarily greedy. Dey don't want subsequent settlers to have a say in d community or b a traditional title holder, dats d sole reason dey perpetually ostracize them(calling dem OSU). And people now begin to think the name is OSU has to do with maybe d devil himself.

Initially dey say if u marry them, it causes backwardness, childlessness, etc but dats a big lie. People who broke d lines saw no such thing.

I had a relative argument with some kinsmen d other time...
We were given a ram(ebunu) by one of our brother who is regarded as ezemmuo. So, d day we cooked it, there was this irritating man da saying dat external person doesn't eat d meat. Some of us esp d youth questioned why so, but dey couldn't give us any tangible reason. I told dem da greed/selfishness is the problem of a black man. Being too stingy to give to ur brother, u termed it a norm, dat it shouldn't b given out...so u have enough to eat. Nonsense!

That's their business... I love and roll with whoever am pleased wit.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by talented321: 8:03pm On Aug 21, 2023
Sharon u may also be right
1Sharon:

Which stupid experience?
So you actually believe people that are OSU exist??
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Jman06(m): 8:07pm On Aug 21, 2023
MySolace:

My brother we share same notion.
Humans are just being unnecessarily greedy. Dey don't want subsequent settlers to have a say in d community or b a traditional title holder, dats d sole reason dey perpetually ostracize them(calling dem OSU). And people now begin to think the name is OSU has to do with maybe d devil himself.

Initially dey say if u marry them, it causes backwardness, childlessness, etc but dats a big lie. People who broke d lines saw no such thing.

I had a relative argument with some kinsmen d other time...
We were given a ram(ebunu) by one of our brother who is regarded as ezemmuo. So, d day we cooked it, there was this irritating man da saying dat external person doesn't eat d meat. Some of us esp d youth questioned why so, but dey couldn't give us any tangible reason. I told dem da greed/selfishness is the problem of a black man. Being too stingy to give to ur brother, u termed it a norm, dat it shouldn't b given out...so u have enough to eat. Nonsense!

That's their business... I love and roll with whoever am pleased wit.

Exactly!

Likewise me. I don't discriminate against fellow humans based on some hogwash tales. I relate with the humanity in every person
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 21, 2023
Persephone1:
Let me wait for the Igbos to help Op.

We Yorubas have no issues, nah person we see we follow go grin grin
modakeke no dey marry ife... dey play grin
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Brownking: 8:38pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

I have made some research personally and found out people from other part of igboland marry from those places. Now my question is why are they strongly rejecting her cos it doesn't make sense to call everybody from different local government in abia state OSU.

I've made more research on the girls family and found out they are king makers and her father belongs to eze's cabinet.

Her father and mine are no longer alive. They both have a traditional title and belong to eze's cabinet too. Please I need your advice cos I really want marry this girl. I also know that people encounter alot of difficulties when they want to get married. So I need a clarification from someone who has extensive knowledge on igbo tradition. Thank you

It's not possible that every person from Ohafia will be an OSU, I strongly advise that you go to her village and investigate by yourself or your family can that themselves. Thought this OSU has been stopped but it's a dent that can't be removed except by deliverance with intense prayer and fasting.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Nnewison: 8:44pm On Aug 21, 2023
If they have done investigation and found out her family is OSU and you know what it means.if she is OSU it affects her and the children she will give birth for you and it keeps going like that till it's traditionally abolished.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Nnewison: 8:45pm On Aug 21, 2023
A particular traditional ruler said it's abolished in his town and he was asked to go and marry the OSU first before others will follow he didn't do that cos if he did,he would be dethroned immediately he knew that so they said to him it still remains like that.
You are in love but your family loves you so much and they can't start hating you now.they have been loving you.the issue if OSU is still strong in Igbo land.just find a way to carry out investigation properly.never cut ties with your family.they are the only people you have in this world.Family comes first.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Tosin67: 9:50pm On Aug 21, 2023
Macphenson:
The Osu caste system is very strong in Igbo land no matter how civilization and Christianity tries to gas light it.

My candid advice, send some well respected elders from your village to go on an annonymous and discrete inquiry to the girl's village to make their findings.

If their findings reveal she is not an OSU, let them tell the entire UMUNNA of it and you can go ahead and marry her, but if she is, the Lord is your strength as you are OYO.

I no understand. Na so hin village elders useless reach wey hin go just gada dem make dem go dey find watin no lost? The guy should be man enough to choose whoever he wants to marry. They can only advise him. The ultimate decision is for him to make. Just that he should be ready to live with whatever consequences of his decision. Shikena. Which one come b gada ur village elders.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Ozommadu: 9:54pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jman06:
And you believe that anybody descended from a deity The term is generally used by conmen when they want to take political and economic advantage of others. Simple! It is what it is

Go and ask elders in your hometown...people in the olden days offer themselves to some deity for protection or favor, some literally offer themselves up as personal servant for the deity.

As such, you don't meddle with properties of the gods...that was how it was then.

I don't think such still exist now
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Tosin67: 10:02pm On Aug 21, 2023
Jozilinn:
Like seriously who still does this in this present era, your mum is just being backwards I fear for the said girlfriend of yours, people like you who are held by family are supposed to do what they want, because that's just how you are,free the poor girl please okay because your family Will make life hell for her and it's either it leads to you losing your life or her fighting for hers...ooo why are we so backwards in Africa,so sorry okay please think about the future of your kids,you don't want them to get abnormal treatment from your family,I suggest you get someone else okay but not who your mother will choose e get why hmm... must you marry an igbo girl as well 🤔 just asking though, leave the girl if you love her and want peace of mind for the both of you 🙏🙏❤️

Bros the thing no tire u ni? Even among ur own tribe una still dey discriminate. Watin una go come do with other tribes oooo

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Jman06(m): 10:06pm On Aug 21, 2023
Ozommadu:

Go and ask elders in your hometown...people in the olden days offer themselves to some deity for protection or favor, some literally offer themselves up as personal servant for the deity.

As such, you don't meddle with properties of the gods...that was how it was then.

I don't think such still exist now
Perhaps such existed before. However, the term ''OSU'' or "OHU" or whatever is now used by conmen to describe those they want to take political and economic advantage of. It has nothing whatsoever to do with dedication or services to any deity. In my earlier post, I explained what obtained in my locality to buttress my point.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Tosin67: 10:15pm On Aug 21, 2023
I got married to a Fulani girl from sokoto state against the wish of my parents as a Yoruba boy. Today they were forced to accept her because I wasn't ready to back down. I was convinced I made the right choice because I dated this lady for two years. I know what I want and no man can dictate to me how to live my own life since it won't disturb yours.

Like I said earlier, I married my wife against the wish of my family. Today she is the mother of two lovely boys aged 7 and 4. It's 8 years of God's faithfulness in our marriage and it's still like we met yesterday.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Ahcu22(f): 10:17pm On Aug 21, 2023
Funny enough, Ohafians do not have and believe in the Osu system. Dear, that is a lie from the pit of hell.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Guyman01: 10:44pm On Aug 21, 2023
Blaze14k:

You are very much accurate with ur write up. Funny thing is she want me to marry someone that studied medicine. And it should be her choice which I strongly reject as well. So right now it's a deadlock between us

You are a man, make your life long decision and stick to it or you will forever regret losing that girl if she has good qualities and fear of God.

You can go against your mother's demands because its based on prejudice and bias and discrimination.

I know of someone in your shoes, he ended the relationship with the girl on the same sentiments from his family and stopped his plans to marry her by calling it quits then entered into another relationship and it was a disaster as everything started turning upside down for him, he realised that his parents whose biased advice he followed by referring to her as Osu were only interested in him sending money for their upkeep and didn't realise the emotional distress he was passing through in the hands of the new girl.

One day he woke up and called it quits with the the new and went back to the rejected girl but it was not easy, she refused outrightly after the humiliation she suffered. It took the intervention of we his very close friends to win back the girl with a lot of persuasion and conviction, without telling his family he went ahead and planned his marriage with her, got everything arranged and went with few willing family members to perform the marriage rites, he even bribed two of his uncles with irresistible goodies to be on his side.

Today he and his wife run a big international school in Abuja, they had Twin boys as first issue, na him Mama first ask them to book flight ✈️for her to come to Abuja for Omugwo as the latest twins Grandma instead of the wife's mother, you need to see her jumping up in Church overjoyed on their children dedication day, all that was going through my mind that day was, see this old woman, na so she for take prejudice ruin her son and lose all the care and privilege she is enjoying because of their marriage.

My friend is a very happy man today, you need to see his face glow especially when we call him Papa Ejima.
One day I asked him are your children Osu and he answered me, what's my business with an archaic invention I don't know its origin neither does it have anything to do with me, didn't you see Anambra people scrambling to claim rich African Americans who traced their DNA to Igboland, do you see rich people and prominent politicians denying their children marriage with fellow wealthy friends and associates, its the poor that remember that.

Meanwhile, during Christmas his wife does charity for women in his community and distributes cash and items and everyone lines up to collect, why are they collecting something from an Osu woman they should have sat in their houses and starve on their prejudice.
I learnt a lot from him🤔

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Sluacoast(m): 10:51pm On Aug 21, 2023
Brother. Don't argue with your mama. If she says you shouldn't marry from there. You can kindly obey or follow your own decision and leave the rest of your life with it
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SuccessfulRichi: 11:22pm On Aug 21, 2023
Wow Igbos still have this kind culture. Discrimination against their selves. I wonder why they always cry for Biafra. what a people! Osu kill all of una dia. Barbaric traditions and culture.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SuccessfulRichi: 11:24pm On Aug 21, 2023
Wow Igbos still have this kind culture. Discrimination against their selves. I wonder why they always cry for Biafra. what a people! Osu kill all of una dia. Barbaric traditions and culture. I see why an average Igbo man is bittered, envious, and angered towards other tribes.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by thurlhar: 12:29am On Aug 22, 2023
Let me wait for the Igbos to help Op.

We Yorubas have no issues, nah person we see we follow go . [color=#006600][/color]

No b every Yoruba de folo folo
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by BennyDGreat: 2:22am On Aug 22, 2023
Tosin67:
I got married to a Fulani girl from sokoto state against the wish of my parents as a Yoruba boy. Today they were forced to accept her because I wasn't ready to back down. I was convinced I made the right choice because I dated this lady for two years. I know what I want and no man can dictate to me how to live my own life since it won't disturb yours.

Like I said earlier, I married my wife against the wish of my family. Today she is the mother of two lovely boys aged 7 and 4. It's 8 years of God's faithfulness in our marriage and it's still like we met yesterday.

Yoruba-fulani marriage no common, hence their fear. What was the response of her own parents?
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Macphenson: 3:49am On Aug 22, 2023
Tosin67:

I no understand. Na so hin village elders useless reach wey hin go just gada dem make dem go dey find watin no lost? The guy should be man enough to choose whoever he wants to marry. They can only advise him. The ultimate decision is for him to make. Just that he should be ready to live with whatever consequences of his decision. Shikena. Which one come b gada ur village elders.

You are a kid and you dont understand Igbo tradition.

Normally in Igboland, before any marriage takes place, elders are sent out discreetly and annonymously to go and make inquiries about the bride and her family, their findings will determine whether the marriage will take place or not.

Marriage in Igboland is between families and not just the bride and groom.

2 Likes

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by SURElee(f): 5:28am On Aug 22, 2023
Blaze14k:
I would like to use this opportunity to seek guidance based on the issue I have on ground. I believe it's igbos especially elderly person who is in a better position to give me a reasonable explanation. I told my mum my girlfriend is from ohafia, abia state and she instantly told me I can't get married to her. Her reason is because people from ohafia, arochukwu, izombe, and few other places in abia state are regarded as OSU. I complained to other members of my family but they also rejected her.

I have made some research personally and found out people from other part of igboland marry from those places. Now my question is why are they strongly rejecting her cos it doesn't make sense to call everybody from different local government in abia state OSU.

I've made more research on the girls family and found out they are king makers and her father belongs to eze's cabinet.

Her father and mine are no longer alive. They both have a traditional title and belong to eze's cabinet too. Please I need your advice cos I really want marry this girl. I also know that people encounter alot of difficulties when they want to get married. So I need a clarification from someone who has extensive knowledge on igbo tradition. Thank you

What have you been doing all your life till you got to a marriageable age that you will claim not to know about the OSU caste system in igbo land?

Abeg free that girl.
Don't marry her into a family that has lt already rejection her based on happenings of years ago.

Igbo land claims to be highly civilized and highly religious but after all their excess spirituality they still hold on to the Osu thingy.

Free the girl, I don't want her to suffer further rejection should you marry her by force. A woman doesn't need to fight for acceptance all her life in marriage to be accepted by the husband's family. She can't fight that battle alone. It isn't worth it.

If truly she is OSU, they know they marry themselves not outsiders.
Know your culture.
Not like I support this year thing. I have had to ask people to get educated as a non igbo

1 Like

Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by Blaze14k: 5:58am On Aug 22, 2023
SURElee:

What have you been doing all your life till you got to a marriageable age that you will claim not to know about the OSU caste system in igbo land?

Abeg free that girl.
Don't marry her into a family that has lt already rejection her based on happenings of years ago.

Igbo land claims to be highly civilized and highly religious but after all their excess spirituality they still hold on to the Osu thingy.

Free the girl, I don't want her to suffer further rejection should you marry her by force. A woman doesn't need to fight for acceptance all her life in marriage to be accepted by the husband's family. She can't fight that battle alone. It isn't worth it.

If truly she is OSU, they know they marry themselves not outsiders.
Know your culture.
Not like I support this year thing. I have had to ask people to get educated as a non igbo

I have done a proper research and found out she's not osu.
Re: My Mum Is Strongly Rejecting The Girl I Want To Marry by whitedove(m): 6:24am On Aug 22, 2023
Before I write anything ... Can anyone help me with the meaning of OSU
Ogun State University...lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

7 Wrong Mindsets Singles Have About Relationships / Pre-wedding Pictures Of A Nairalander / Why Every Girl Should Marry A Nigerian Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.