Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. (79332 Views)

Japa: I Need Assistance On My Planned Relocation To Denmark / JAPA: I Used To Enjoy A Comfortable Life Back Home - Man Laments In UK (video) / JAPA: I Want To Leave Nigeria To New Zealand Or UK (advice Needed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by bomsilaga(m): 1:14pm On Sep 02, 2023
Ishilove:
From chartered accountant to forklift driver...

For someone like me, that would be soul destroying because I value my inner peace and wellbeing. If I'm not enjoying my job I will be very, very miserable.

I was a project director and did bricklayer labouring in the abroad. People will come for my head but with the dignity of labour abroad, it amounts to nothing. Nigeria is a dream killer for many but Nigeria is our country.

4 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by lifenajeje(m): 1:14pm On Sep 02, 2023
With ur accounting skill learn data analysis and business intelligence instead of fork.lift

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by OvertheTop(m): 1:14pm On Sep 02, 2023
deltateam:

You're lucky to have a supportive wife. Put your head down and learn. You'll be shocked that your salary there may be higher than a bank branch manager in Nigeria.

Don't quarrell your wife when you get there otherwise na deportation.

Leave some lifeline in Nigeria just in case it backfires. Good luck!

How Naa? Will he be Spending the Money in Naira?
As long as You are Spending in the Foreign Currency, the Value will be Less than what he is Earning Right Now (1M naira per Month spent in Nigeria)
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by rickleye: 1:15pm On Sep 02, 2023
Ok. I hope you’ll somehow see this through the myriad of responses.
Abroad is for 2 people . Wifey is right. This is how you can help

1. Find a tech support job .
2. Work in a factory-UPS or FEDEX distribution center.
3 . In the interim you are going to have to take over the home front.
4. Get ready to change your mindset- it will be struggle because all your life you are used to a certain set of rules. You are both partners .
5. Intimacy will decrease. You’ll hear I am tired a lot . It’s life don’t be mad.
6. Think before you speak and don’t speak all the things you are thinking. Very impt.
7 you tube is your friend. DIY videos to save money.

So you will have to help w cooking , cleaning , watching the kids. Taking out thrash , taking vehicle to mechanic etc. When she finishes work she can put them to bed and the rat race continues next day.

It is well my brother

2 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by 3rdavefarms(m): 1:15pm On Sep 02, 2023
My own be say before you mont on her whe we finally see ... use lime and alum first to wash the level Australia her Baba Gbola pass Africa .. we are on the same equatorial line
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Acidosis(m): 1:17pm On Sep 02, 2023
deltateam:

You're lucky to have a supportive wife. Put your head down and learn. You'll be shocked that your salary there may be higher than a bank branch manager in Nigeria.

Don't quarrell your wife when you get there otherwise na deportation.

Leave some lifeline in Nigeria just in case it backfires. Good luck!

He currently earns more than a branch manager. So, your advice is not valid. HIs net salary is N1.1m. The main justification for leaving is to hide under the typical "for the sake of my kids."

2 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by OvertheTop(m): 1:17pm On Sep 02, 2023
MrNipplesLover:
A 48-year-old youth and feeling old? undecided

Baba, u just dey start life... u're a youth and should feel youthful of ur age...

The moment u feel u are old, na that time grey hair go take over ur head and u go start appearing old...

To me, old age starts from 65...

Abeg, go and make use of ur youthful age in a country that works....

All the best to u. ✌

but is it Easy to Resign from 1M Naira per Month in Nigeria. Is it Easy?

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by bejick(m): 1:18pm On Sep 02, 2023
Altern8tor:

U can take a pay cut from your company and work remotely from Abroad,, travel abroad to join dem and come back to Nigeria occasionally to handle wat needs to be done at work physically...Your subordinates can be sending you official documents via emails to work on while abroad,,hope you get what I mean?

Good advice, when you settle down wella you can stop

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by OvertheTop(m): 1:19pm On Sep 02, 2023
ezegold4we:
@ OP,

pls let me remind u that ur greatest investment and achievement is your marriage and family, not the 1.1million net income you are making every month in Nigeria, u will definitely Make More than that in Australia with Peace of mind,

Secondly, age is Just a number, when u get here, u will see married Men of 55yrs stepping into Australia to settle down with their families, buhari took power in 2015 and before we knew it, his 8yrs of suffering and killings Just ended, now Jagaban is in charge, u will still be considering ur age and his 8yrs will elapse,pls once again forget ur age, unless there are other personal reaaons why u dont want to unite with ur wife in Australia,

Thirdly, forget about ur fears about work , there are lots of jobs in Australia, try and take a step first, u can't stay in nija and be assuming things,

Pls don't be confused at this stage of ur life, be decisive,

Finally, remember, family is everything.

NOT if You are BROKE . Family will Hate U grin

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by OvertheTop(m): 1:23pm On Sep 02, 2023
Menclothing:
Go and hustle and come back years later to set up company here

when at 70 Yrs old?
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Acidosis(m): 1:24pm On Sep 02, 2023
bejick:

baba no listen to this guy, make the move the first 6months will not be easy but it can not be worst than Nigeria. You can make your one month salary in two weeks with minor jobs not to talk of when God bless you with proper office work. You go dey ball.

True, he doesn't have to listen to me.

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by akslink: 1:25pm On Sep 02, 2023
Usefulsense:
This is my story. Please advice.

I sent my wife to Australia in 2021 on student visa.

She has invited us, myself and our children aged 12 and 9 and our visa is out. I have also paid like 6 months fees for my children school which was a requirement for the visa.

Owing to her performance at her work place, the company she works for has promised to sponsor all that glittering are not gold better to send your children alone to her and continue your work back home and visit them once a while, this is for experience for PR. Infact, the process just began and we are sure of having the PR.

I am currently 48 and won't be able to support my family working in Nigeria. Wify has encouraged me that we will be fine that abroad is meant for 2 people.

My only constraint is my age, hence my question. If you are in my shoe, will you travel?

By the way, I work for a private firm here in Nigeria and you know what it is working for a family company.

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by NNEWIsuper: 1:25pm On Sep 02, 2023
Firefunmi2014:

I can relate with your situation because I have been there. I left Nigeria last year to join my wife who left in 2021 on Skilled worker visa to. UK. I was 46yrs when I joined her. I have a relatively good job in Nigeria with an official car and HOD in one of the PFAs in Nigeria. I don't have plans to join them before, I was thinking I will be sending money to them but for almost 6mth I couldn't convert my Naita to Pound.

Fast forward last year Nov, I took the decision to join them, it's been over 7mths now, has is it been easy ? No, but it is a journey. I started working in January, the role is related to finance which is my field, though a junior role for me experience and qualifications but is paying bills.

My wife has been an amasing woman, she earns more than me but her money is our money and vice versa. In a foreign land, be ready to share bills with your wife and also the house chore with her. I usually go to store to do the chopping and atimes cook for the children.

My advice for you is that you should prayerfully join your wife provided she is an amazing woman, trust me you will not regret it.

I wish you best of luck
You couldn't change naira to pounds because you lacked knowledge about it, many Nigerian communities are exchanging pounds to naira and vice versa online
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by MeineMutter: 1:27pm On Sep 02, 2023
Usefulsense:

Currently studying day and night for Australian CPA examination.

Thank you so much sir. I'm motivated by your kind words.

It’s normal to develop cold feet when you are changing environment because of the fear of the unknown and fear of leaving your comfort zone, couple with those thing you would miss seeing or doing, your freedom etc. those shenks 😁😁. That’s if you do sha because you are going into a society where you are not as free as you are in an unregulated Nigeria.

Even relocating from Lagos to Kano can make you develop cold feet let alone relocating abroad.

With your wife over there, you would quickly settle in, no doubt that.

But you could have used your ICAN to take exemptions from some ACCA papers, long ago, and have started writing ACCA, the moment your wife entered Australia since you know you would be relocating.
By now, you would have passed ACCA and be ready to use it for conversion to CPA Australia.

The kind of private company you work(ed) for in Nigeria matters. If it’s a known multinational company that you worked for and you worked in greater decision-making roles and interact with C-band level executives in your organization, you may be able to have transferable skills that can position you well to get good job quickly.

No country recognizes ICAN abroad o. That’s the bitter truth.

While learning forklift driving, ask your wife about two most popular ERP software that companies use in Australia and add it to lists of what you will learn. You have to continue learning even when you get there.

I may be able to point you in the right direction of some free and paid materials on quality ERP learnings.

Also, don’t forget to have knowledge of one two other data analysis skills or software.

If after some years, you still don’t like or enjoy the country, wait and get the PR while you save to set up something back home.
You can then go home and be visiting Australia as you like.

Let me be frank with you: going abroad as an accountant at that age is not good. I am a qualified accountant with ACCA and CPA and I know what it takes to get a great job abroad.

Accountant work is not the problem they have abroad. They have automated a lot of things that have to do with accounting, financing, reporting, controlling (including internal control), business analysis etc

Assuming you are an IT guy or medical personnel, you can já at any time or at any age and entertain less worries.

Be ready to start from lowly-rated job (whether white or blue collar) and start picking the easiest points.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Yaks02(m): 1:27pm On Sep 02, 2023
Usefulsense:

To be honest with you, the plan is for the entire family to migrate.

In fact, i did my ielts last year and made 7,7, 7.5, 7

As soon as our visa grant came out, I started developing cold feet on account of age.

She has advised that I go and learn forklift driving.
I will commence that this month.
You're a strong man, no let cold feet drag u oh. Go ahead with your travelling plans, your kids have a future assured already
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by bejick(m): 1:27pm On Sep 02, 2023
bomsilaga:

I was a project director and did bricklayer labouring in the abroad. People will come for my head but with the dignity of labour abroad, it amounts to nothing. Nigeria is a dream killer for many but Nigeria is our country.

I was a Piping Engineer in the Oil and Gas industry earning better 7 digit, Omo as a cleaner here I earn more than the Oyel and gas money oo grin grin grin. If God come help me now get same Oyel and gas work for this side oboy my balling no go be here. Abeg stay back for Nigeria to do what If you stay complete one year for better abroad come go back Nigeria you will see how chaotic Nigeria is. Omo no go fit stay again.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by 12inchess: 1:28pm On Sep 02, 2023
Usefulsense:

She has invited us, myself and our children aged 12 and 9 and our visa is out. I have also paid like 6 months fees for my children school which was a requirement for the visa.

Owing to her performance at her work place, the company she works for has promised to sponsor for PR. Infact, the process just began and we are sure of having the PR.

I am currently 48 and won't be able to support my family working in Nigeria. Wify has encouraged me that we will be fine that abroad is meant for 2 people.

My only constraint is my age, hence my question. If you are in my shoe, will you travel?

By the way, I work for a private firm here in Nigeria and you know what it is working for a family company.

I will certainly travel if the PR is assured. Ofcourse you may face some retrogression in your career and she may be the bread winner for a time or even forever. So you need to prepare for that and be ready to drop your ego aside. Hopefully she is good and understanding woman. On the other hand you may not face any retrogression and things may go up and way better for you. The key is to cooperate among yourself. It will benefit your kids immensley. Exposure is great.

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 02, 2023
Working for a family company, i will never do that again angry.

Nigerians, We bring down others, so we can grow.

Very toxic.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by chiself: 1:31pm On Sep 02, 2023
Smartguyboy:

You people keep saying for the kid’s future how many African parents can send they kids to best schools or nice university abroad?

That is the thing that the 99.9%ers do not understand. If you are well off in Nigeria, you can afford to send your kids to private primary and secondary school in Nigeria and they can do quite well like Kamsiyochukwu Umeh. If while they are in primary /secondary school you continue to progress in your career, by the time they finish secondary school , you should be able to afford to sponsor their university education abroad. That is how to do it but the 99.9%ers think that coming to UK, Canada, USA automatically mean their kids are getting the best education grin

Then again maybe like parent like children. The 99.9%ers are only looking to survive and not ambitious and so are content to see their kids attend University of Peckham grin and get their Micky Mouse degrees and get second class administrative job in some council, only to find their manager was the oyinbo girl who used to be in their class in Peckham Hill College but didn't progress to University. (The 99.9%ers will say, "it is still better than Nigeria grin )

I am on page 4 and everyone is saying age is just a number grin Why would they want to give a 40+ man a job when there are lots of 20 something also looking for jobs?

2 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by osothermal(m): 1:36pm On Sep 02, 2023
Usefulsense:

As soon as our visa grant came out, I started developing cold feet on account of age.

Sir you have nothing to fear about. It will shock you to know that an average cleaner in the UK earns 20 to #25million annually. You think you're earning well in Nigeria until you go out and explore
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by formular2002(m): 1:41pm On Sep 02, 2023
I understand that feeling and it's normal. You get energized when going through the process but immediately you get visa, the feeling of doubt and loss starts creeping in.
Yes, it happens to people.
All you need to overcome it is to convince yourself of the reasons you started the process and look at the bright side. Starting all over may be challenging but you already have a soft landing since your wife is there.
So get ready to travel, buy foodstuffs, buy your ticket and have a safe flight.
Sure you will miss Nigeria but you can always visit.
As for jobs, you will be alright. Start training for special skills and God will go with you
All the best bro
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by jrusky(m): 1:41pm On Sep 02, 2023
felixzo1:
If I may ask what was your motive for sending your wife for studies? Why do you think at 48 you change profession or starting a different Field. You are still young, Nigeria makes one feel too old

Very correct question. God bless

Japa will japa shit on so many lives that lack focus.

You send your wife all the way to obodo abroad bro be rest assured your case is 50/50 chance of regretting it at last.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by EleventhWeirdo: 1:46pm On Sep 02, 2023
MeineMutter:

It’s normal to develop cold feet when you are changing environment because of the fear of the unknown and fear of leaving your comfort zone, couple with those thing you would miss seeing or doing, your freedom etc. those shenks 😁😁. That’s if you do sha because you are going into a society where you are not as free as you are in an unregulated Nigeria.

Even relocating from Lagos to Kano can make you develop cold feet let alone relocating abroad.

With your wife over there, you would quickly settle in, no doubt that.

But you could have used your ICAN to take exemptions from some ACCA papers, long ago, and have started written ACCA, the moment your wife entered Australia since you know you would be relocating.
By now, you would have passed ACCA and be ready to use it for conversion to CPA Australia.

The kind of private company you work(ed) for in Nigeria matters. If it’s a known multinational company that you worked for and you worked in greater decision-making roles and interact with C-band level executives in your organization, you may be able to have transferable skills that can position you well to get good job quickly.

No country recognizes ICAN abroad o. That’s the bitter truth.

While learning forklift driving, ask your wife about two most popular ERP software that companies use in Australia and add it to lists of what you will learn. You have to continue learning even when you get there.

I may be able to point you in the right direction of some free and paid materials on quality ERP learnings.

Also, don’t forget to have knowledge of one two other data analysis skills or software.

If after some years, you still don’t like or enjoy the country, wait and get the PR while you save to set up something back home.
You can then go home and be visiting Australia as you like.

Let me be frank with you: going abroad as an accountant at that age is not good. I am a qualified accountant with ACCA and CPA and I know what it takes to get a great job abroad.

Accountant work is not the problem they have abroad. They have automated a lot of things that have to do with accounting, financing, reporting, controlling (including internal control), business analysis etc

Assuming you are an IT guy or medical personnel, you can já at any time or at any age and entertain less worries.

Be ready to start from lowly-rated job (whether white or blue collar) and start picking the easiest points.

I beg to disagree! I've been an audit associate with a big4 for 2 years now. I have former colleagues who got jobs in other big4s in Australia, UK, Canada, USA, and so on with just their ACA. Some even got jobs in industry. Why denigrate our noble institute, ICAN, this much with falsehood?

3 Likes

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by EduTechTainMent: 1:53pm On Sep 02, 2023
When it comes to jaapa-ing, Nigerians suddenly become motivational speakers, and become overly optimistic and sentimental.

What many fail to realise is that fingers are not equal and destinies differ. What worked for taiye may not work for kehinde.

What many also fail to understand is that having money is not the absolute solution to all the problems of life and doesn't guarantee happiness. We all have what makes us tick. Not all millionaires are happy. Happiness and richness comes from contentment of mind. That should not stop one from aspiring and striving to work towards the best

People are quick to recommend asking someone to start from the bottom of the ladder forgetting to factor in the mental stress and feeling of failure/depression that may result from that. Not everyone can withstand such. Not everyone can survive that. During such periods, the family you all based your actions on may eventually be lost due ones temperament.

There aren't any guarantees in life. Not everyone will make it in Nigeria and definitely not everyone will make it abroad. Globally it's all about huzzling and jama jama. Till death comes knocking, man shall continue huzzling. Everybody dey hussle to make ends meet. Even the natural borns abroad.

Yes, as a family man, your family and kids are a top priority. Abroad doesn't automatically guarantee your kids will be successful in life. It also depends on what yardstick we use to measure our success or failure.

Bringing up your kids in Nigeria also doesn't guarantee your kids won't be successful in life. Many of those clamoring for jaapa were born and bred in Nigeria, and yet you can say they have a relatively comfortable life.

Money is important, very important Infact, but it isn't everything. Those who are pro jaapa are quick to point out the opportunities the kids will get by virtue of staying abroad. What about the inherent risks? LGBTQ, mental health challenges, peer pressure, loss of sense of family and heritage, etc. All these risks are also present in Nigeria but at varying degrees. So one has to be thorough in analysing the pros and cons of his/her japaa and most importantly do not be pressured into following the popular bandwagon effect- many are japaaing, let me do same.

There comes a time in a man's life when all he needs is stability - to grow, enjoy life, enjoy the fruits of his labour and dedicate his time to family. For how many decades will a man continue chasing the world. Personally I believe OP has gotten to that stage in his life where stability matters a lot and not uncertainties. What most people will want the OP to do is spend 2/3 of his life chasing the world. When manpikin wan rest.

I can understand the Ops dilemma. All I would advice is take your time and read through all the advises gotten from this thread both from the pro japaa and anti japaa gangs. There is lots of wisdom in what has been shared on here by both parties. Then ultimately seek divine guidance and take the leap hoping for the very best. Whatever you do though, have a positive and growth mindset and do not regret your decision. I wish you and your family the very best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by toxtimmy: 1:54pm On Sep 02, 2023
Fork lift job pays good and you don't have to be answering sir or ma'am all the tine.

It goes ves you time after work to enjoy family, yourself and your city.

Usefulsense:

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by int0x80(m): 1:59pm On Sep 02, 2023
Acidosis:
As long as your wife can/will feed you without complaints (just in case things do not turn out well for you), then you will be fine.

Your concerns are very valid. Not many 48 year old men would leave a N1.1m accounting job in Nigeria to go kill snakes in Australia as someone suggests here. I won't do it at gun point.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by SPAMBOX7: 2:00pm On Sep 02, 2023
Offpointng:

Adding to your skills also, Learn how to kill snakes in Nigeria, starting from, Boas to Pythons, Vipers and the likes It'd be an essential skill when you get to Australia

Like this like this, I don make like $250 today alone killing snakes for my neighbours. I not only have free money from this skill, I also have free meat for the whole of September. Thank allah for my blasting freezer
OP Don't take this guy serious he's joking
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by dnawah(m): 2:02pm On Sep 02, 2023
Usefulsense:

Owing to her performance at her work place, the company she works for has promised to sponsor for PR. Infact, the process just began and we are sure of having the PR.

make i come take ur place? even if na go there the wash toilet,i go get peace of mind.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Bouncing2(m): 2:03pm On Sep 02, 2023
Offpointng:

Adding to your skills also, Learn how to kill snakes in Nigeria, starting from, Boas to Pythons, Vipers and the likes It'd be an essential skill when you get to Australia

Like this like this, I don make like $250 today alone killing snakes for my neighbours. I not only have free money from this skill, I also have free meat for the whole of September. Thank allah for my blasting freezer

Egbon
U de cchop life aswr
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by Zeewirld: 2:04pm On Sep 02, 2023
mokset123:
how much do you earn monthly, if is not in the range of 600 and above. Just kukuma join her. She is right oh, abroad is meant for 2 except you want to loose her
...I know people earning above 800 monthly who have Japa self

1 Like

Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by MeineMutter: 2:07pm On Sep 02, 2023
EleventhWeirdo:

I beg to disagree! I've been an audit associate with a big4 for 2 years now. I have former colleagues who got jobs in other big4s in Australia, UK, Canada, USA, and so on with just their ACA. Some even got jobs in industry. Why denigrate our noble institute, ICAN, this much with falsehood?

That’s like internal transfer at the Big 4. The chances of others ICAN holders getting such job across other companies of no direct link is less than 1%.

Add this to it: I was holding ICAN before. I dumped it at them and renounced my membership.
Re: Japa: I Am Confused, Please Advise. by VULCAN(m): 2:08pm On Sep 02, 2023
Congrats in advance

Pls where are you learning the forklift driving?

I have someone who has been looking for that for a while now

Usefulsense:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Aerial Photos Of Ogbaru, Onitsha From Second Niger Bridge Site / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany / Visa To Mexico Is Not As Difficult As You Think !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.