Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,035 members, 7,821,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million (48991 Views)

Points To Consider Before And After Japa Expedition / Japa: How They Rob People During Day Time In South Africa / JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by delpee(f): 2:35pm On Sep 09, 2023
Money isn't the sole reason people japa. They're looking for saner climes, more comfortable life, access to good education for their kids and great career opportunities. You can't save heavily over there because there are taxes and many unavoidable bills to be paid.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Westves: 2:35pm On Sep 09, 2023
Two weeks, bro
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by etrange: 2:36pm On Sep 09, 2023
StJasper:

Highly analytical and reasonable.

I have a question for you. Which countries pay more for middle class jobs?

That's a tricky one. To be honest, when I said entry, mid and senior level jobs, I was referring to highly skilled professionals ranging from those who are just starting thier careers (entry level) to those that are well advanced in thier profession (senior level). Example of such highly skilled professionals include teachers, technicians, lawyers, business analysts, project managers, doctors, software developers, engineers, accountants, nurses, bankers, and other such professionals that require specialized skills or university degrees. For these groups of people, I have a 'fair understanding' of the salary scale in some countries in the Americas, Europe and the Middle East.

However, when you say "middle class jobs", I have a feeling you're referring to semi-skilled workers like clerical staff, equipments installers, warehouse supervisors, pest control technicians, customer service rep and other similar jobs that are classified above unskilled but do not require extensive training or university degree or specialization. If that is the case, I might not be able to answer factually cause I've not really spent time in that part of the labour market. What I know for sure is that such jobs are more readily available in the US than other places I've lived in or visited.

For the first group of people I mentioned (highly skilled), I observed that the country that pays the most "after-tax" salary in the Middle East is the UAE (the after-tax is in quote cause they don't pay income tax anyway. However, they mostly pay transferred employees more). Saudi Arabia (no income tax too) is also very similar. In the Americas, it is the US and in Europe, countries like Denmark, Switzerland, Iceland, Luxembourg, etc tend to pay more than others. Singapore, Japan and Honkong are strong contenders in Asia. When compared as a whole, I observed the US generally pays more than the European countries except for those specific high income countries in Europe. While the UAE tend to pay the most, the chances of getting those kinds of jobs are higher in the US/Canada. Again, when you consider income before tax, you might have a different arrangement with countries like the US, Germany, Canada, the UK, etc going up the least (I know nothing about Australia and New Zealand).

One thing to bear in mind is that when it comes to earning potential, salary is one thing, actual job opportunity is another. Again, the pay is not always what it seems like as tax and cost of living are always in play. And please, take everything I said with a pinch of salt. This is based on personal experience and observations and, therefore, is more opinionated than factual. There are more detailed reports online shared by those who have actually studied the labour markets across the globe. I beseech you to read them for more accurate information.

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by EngrKemp: 2:36pm On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:
I'm a software engineer working remotely from Nigeria. I earn a 7-figure monthly salary.
With my salary only (at an average exchange rate of 850/$), it would take me about 6.6 years to save up 100 million, provided I have zero dependents and had to cater only for myself throughout those years. It's quite a naive way to project this though because a lot of things can happen along those years. But it still gives an idealistic comparison base.

So my question goes to Nigerians currently living or have lived abroad. Can you tell us the country, the job title, and how long it would take to save up to NGN100 milliion, assuming you have zero dependents and have to cater for only yourself. Do remember to factor in taxes if any and other living expenses for yourself alone

The reason for my question is not far-fetched. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to sell ones' properties worth milliions just to JAPA and go start over again. Please, refrain from dragging the country's situation into your answer or any other reason to JAPA. Kindly focus on answering the question as best as possible.

Thanks.

Op kindly let me know the kind of work you do as a software engineer and the type of services u render and the type of languages you know and use for working.

The kind of projects you handle .

I only wanna learn.

And for those who want to start afresh, what do you expect them to learn and to do to have a heads up and start earning just like u are?
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Invest4growth: 2:37pm On Sep 09, 2023
Peace of mind, opportunities, stable environment are crucial in japa phenomenon and not making N100m.
Nigerian policymakers have no choice but to stop making irrational decisions.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by NuCypher: 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:
I'm a software engineer working remotely from Nigeria. I earn a 7-figure monthly salary.
With my salary only (at an average exchange rate of 850/$), it would take me about 6.6 years to save up 100 million, provided I have zero dependents and had to cater only for myself throughout those years. It's quite a naive way to project this though because a lot of things can happen along those years. But it still gives an idealistic comparison base.

So my question goes to Nigerians currently living or have lived abroad. Can you tell us the country, the job title, and how long it would take to save up to NGN100 milliion, assuming you have zero dependents and have to cater for only yourself. Do remember to factor in taxes if any and other living expenses for yourself alone

The reason for my question is not far-fetched. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to sell ones' properties worth milliions just to JAPA and go start over again. Please, refrain from dragging the country's situation into your answer or any other reason to JAPA. Kindly focus on answering the question as best as possible.

Thanks.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by philiancoop(m): 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2023
Or £95k
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by BigDawsNet: 2:44pm On Sep 09, 2023
Smartguyboy:

How many % of people have such opportunities to work in nasa? Or secured a top software engineer?

2%
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Fearyourcreator: 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2023
Ajione:
Is not only money that make people japa, some issues are settled, like security good road getting values for your taxes and when children is involved, your children future are secured.
Anybody trying to japa and thinking of becoming a multi millionaire or billionaire Na big mistake. But am sure once you are not lazy you will leave a comfortable life.
With the present situation in this country things are hard, salary Na pie but.
If I come to you now and I said I need 50k will you give me?
I prefer leaving this country than leaving like a prisoner in my own country.
Most of una dey claim levels on top dirty job here... Arise shunu plenty for una here ..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Fearyourcreator: 2:48pm On Sep 09, 2023
Prudency045:
And what is the percentage of Nigerians that will be able to save 1million naira before they die?

Even in the west, their citizens aren't rich in the context of their country but have access to credits and good quality of life.

It is not about money saved rather it is about the quality of life people can live with the money they earn.
Wetin be that quality life gangan cus I no understand
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by BigDawsNet: 2:48pm On Sep 09, 2023
43Ronin:

at op exchange rate, is 100m not $100k per annum? mtscheew. PMs, BAs, Devops, Data analyst, AIs, DBAs can make more doing 2 jobs remotely no even think am. Give yourself a year to get the certifications, the rest is history

When the developers make 100k a year.. who will pay dia mortgage and bills + tax

Or you don't know gov owns 24k as tax inside dat 100k... while regular bills is also calling your name.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Sheriman(m): 2:52pm On Sep 09, 2023
yusfaith78:
The way in people in Nigeria talk about japa by making it looks like everybody that left Nigeria moved just to go and make money. A lot of people like me moved just because we want peace of mind and also have a good environment where our children grow to be whatever they so wish to become. Before I left Nigeria, I was making good money and I was also travelling to Europe atleast once a year. So it was about money for me and so many others. I think we just got tired of the fact that nothing is working in Nigeria. The poor healthcare system, bad roads that turns journeys of 30mins to hours, the air and noise pollution, the education system, the reckless way of driving that usually results deaths of innocent citizens and the most annoying of all, the criminals that call themselves POLICE who are always out to extort hardworking citizens but fails to go after the real criminals (God knows they are Nigerians’ worst enemy even worst than politicians).

I was rich in Nigeria but don’t have peace of mind and stress wanted to kill me. But here I’m comfortable financially and I also have peace of peace of mind. I can walk at anytime of the day with thinking of been hit by a car that’s not roadworthy or Okada neither are there any police looking to harass or extort me.

We cannot all live in abroad neither can we all live in Nigeria. I just feel it wrong to always assume people are leaving Nigeria just because of money.

90% of Nigerians leave because of money and social status so people will definitely generalized it. Alright!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Fearyourcreator: 2:52pm On Sep 09, 2023
StrikeBack:
You only need the 100m to brag around and diss people around you. People living abroad are not so money conscious like people from third world countries. The highest your useless 100m will get you are probably cars and house to show on your IG and all.
People are actually living and enjoying their lifestyle even with government monthly benefits of $1800 and heaven is not falling.

We need serious reorientation in Nigeria.
Everything is not about how fat your account is.
Se you like fat account?
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by obaidan: 2:54pm On Sep 09, 2023
delpee:
Money isn't the sole reason people japa. They're looking for saner climes, more comfortable life, access to good education for their kids and great career opportunities. You can't save heavily over there because there are taxes and many unavoidable bills to be paid.
You see the same set of people that will kill naija politicians for not providing good roads, stable power, access to pipeborne water,.....they are d same people that will say high Abroad tax is a turnoff
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Kelechi009: 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2023
Earthquakes:

I will answer your question when you loose that your remote job.
I couldn't get another job after loosing one when I was in Nigeria but not I am abroad I choose what to do. And back to your question, I SAVE average of 3m a month, I have family and my wife is not even working yet. So do your maths

Which part of abroad are you? Brazil is different from Canada. So where are you?
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Dragoly(m): 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2023
I run with company's savings😎
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by obaidan: 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

Wetin be that quality life gangan cus I no understand
Steady power, access to water, good roads, good schools, availability of scholarship to help u and/or kids achieve their dreams(just force ur child to be brilliant) he doesn't need to be on VC list or know commisioner to get his dreams on track, quality vacation(u don't have to spend all ur money), security of live and property, ur tax actually working for you, good business environment. Support for your business incase of downtime. Many more.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Procashtips(m): 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2023
phemmyfour:
Exactly, and the fact that you earn in foreign currency and spend in naira

And can then afford to save for holidays abroad.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by tosyne2much(m): 3:06pm On Sep 09, 2023
digitalheadline:

Them don brain wash una head tire for naija. Better leave if you can. $100k no be money again for yankee. People dey aim to be dollar millionaires now...
And who's talking about a million Dollars?

Go and sit down bro..

$100k is a big money anywhere in the world no matter how you try to use exception to downplay it. Exception is not always the standard to judge things

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Semaj77(m): 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:

Thanks.

Oh that's nice
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by tosyne2much(m): 3:09pm On Sep 09, 2023
obaidan:

Let me ask you, what percentage of Nigerians living in Nigeria will smell 100m in their lifetime....
That's it bro!

99% of Nigerians will only hear that figure, they won't smell it in their lifetime

In fact, not all rich businessmen can boast of N100m.. Assets wise, yes! But cash wise, not all have such amount because business minded people don't stockpile notes in their bank

3 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Ernesthugo(m): 3:11pm On Sep 09, 2023
please just name one business i will jump into it
Firefyta:
Bro with your 1 year savings you can come up with more than 100 million in way less than 6 years
Think the business way
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Fearyourcreator: 3:11pm On Sep 09, 2023
franchasofficia:
Nonsense thread to spite reasonable Nigerians that made the bold move to migrate to saner countries for a better life and future.

You that didn't Japa, how long did you take you to make your first 10million Naira?

Some will be deceived by the yeye talk that Dangote is in Nigeria, Otedola made his billions in Nigeria, Mike Adenuga made his billions in Nigeria and other useless talks.

But they forgot that these guys mostly came from rich family backgrounds, some of them studied abroad, some made their seed capital abroad and relocated back to Nigeria and kept shuttling between Nigeria and abroad.

Listen all you young naive Nigerian youths campaigning against Japa, for you to become truly successful and rich in Nigeria, you definitely need to have an abroad experience or connection.

The few Nigerians that made it solely in Nigeria without abroad experience or connect are mostly into frauds, political thuggery, acting as politicians' proxies, thugs, stooges and front. Others are into importation/trading, religious milking of Nigerians using religion and other higihaga.

For you to make it in Nigeria solely by remaining in Nigeria in our today Nigeria require special grace of God Almighty and strong destiny.
Oga Japa if you wan Japa... And if you don Japa carry people Japa too ...
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Ernesthugo(m): 3:12pm On Sep 09, 2023
in abroad save 100million is a joke unless u do realestate in large qUANITY WITH THE MONEY EARNED FROM WORKING THERE
tosyne2much:
That's it bro!

99% of Nigerians will only hear that figure, they won't smell it in their lifetime

In fact, not all rich businessmen can boast of N100m.. Assets wise, yes! But cash wise, not all have such amount!
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by ukaface(f): 3:15pm On Sep 09, 2023
Aaaahhhh
When I make that kind money ehn
Chai…. Make I sha no talk🤣😂🤣
God Abeg o

But why targeting 100million? That’s too much o
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by tosyne2much(m): 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2023
Ernesthugo:
in abroad save 100million is a joke unless u do realestate in large qUANITY WITH THE MONEY EARNED FROM WORKING THERE
And someone is telling me that $100k is not a big money as if $100k is N100,000

Do such people ever consider less privileged people and the ratio of those earning that annually before making such statement or is it just that everyone abroad is financially stable?
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by AllenSpencer: 3:20pm On Sep 09, 2023
Ernesthugo:

It’s possible! I have done over amount in a year.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by digitalheadline(m): 3:26pm On Sep 09, 2023
tosyne2much:
And who's talking about a million Dollars?

Go and sit down bro..

$100k is a big money anywhere in the world no matter how you try to use exception to downplay it. Exception is not always standardto judge things
While I agree that $100k is big and I am not down playing it but the goal isn't to have $100k. It is to be a dollar millionaire.
You can think whatever you like and say whatever you like.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Fearyourcreator: 3:32pm On Sep 09, 2023
obaidan:

Steady power, access to water, good roads, good schools, availability of scholarship to help u and/or kids achieve their dreams(just force ur child to be brilliant) he doesn't need to be on VC list or know commisioner to get his dreams on track, quality vacation(u don't have to spend all ur money), security of live and property, ur tax actually working for you, good business environment. Support for your business incase of downtime. Many more.
Bros nothing special here abeg... Light dey here too if you wan get steady light abi na free for there ... I go do borehole ... Or is water free there too abi Nigerians no dey drink water here... For good road depends on where person dey live and work here sha... Scholarship dey here too abeg, people dey get admission without knowing anybody too and scholarship too, nobody life dey secured anywhere abeg... Death fit come anyhow abi them no dey die there ni, who dey collect person property here.. people dey collect money here too for business but many go use the go do another may be party or buy luxury... Many collect millions soft loan... My sister benefitted too and she no Sabi anybody... For tax Nigerians no dey pay tax like that so how much government dey make from tax ... Even companies no dey wan pay ... Even company I dey work for dey do am... So nothing special here ooo

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by IamKizzbrown10(m): 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2023
erico2k2:

Bross I will be honest with you, whilst you are working learn a trade please.

WHAT KIND OF TRADE WHEN I DON'T EVEN HAVE TIME TO GO OUT
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by tosyne2much(m): 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2023
digitalheadline:

While I agree that $100k is big and I am not down playing it but the goal isn't to have $100k. It is to be a dollar millionaire.
You can think whatever you like and say whatever you like.
All I'm trying to let you know is that there's no country in the world where the economy is designed to make $100k seem like a small money
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by 43Ronin: 3:36pm On Sep 09, 2023
BigDawsNet:

When the developers make 100k a year.. who will pay dia mortgage and bills + tax

Or you don't know gov owns 24k as tax inside dat 100k... while regular bills is also calling your name.
developers make way more than a $100k at least from 150k upwards. how much is mortgage or bills or tax? mtscheew. dey even get their tax back as tax returns. dey play.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Which Foreign Country Can I Study In With 2.5 Million? / Which Is The Richest City In Nigeria? / Flood Takes Over Okota Area In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.