Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,066 members, 7,828,772 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million (49072 Views)

Points To Consider Before And After Japa Expedition / Japa: How They Rob People During Day Time In South Africa / JAPA: How My Nigerian Accent Failed Me In Canada (pix/video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Eastcoastboy(m): 1:40pm On Sep 09, 2023
seuncyrus:

Your question is very unnecessary and Childish. You're acting like a child who just got a new car and is now asking why is everyone trekking on foot or taking okada.
People have different reasons for doing what they do. Whether it is to move from the mainland to the Island, from a state to another or even JAPA outside the country. I know someone who left because he got shot when he was robbed. Some just want to experience a new life some want a better life , whether they enjoy it or not is not your business and how much they make along the way is no one's business. Just Hope that Nigeria doesn't happen to you with all your 100 million.

He can still get shot over there, the difference is that he'll gain access to medical care quick.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Matrix137(m): 1:41pm On Sep 09, 2023
Here to read lies smiley cheesy
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by TheFacelessMan: 1:41pm On Sep 09, 2023
erico2k2:

How do I as an individual living in London for the most of my adult life BEG people i n Nigeria? and for what?
Most people own thier own homes abroad have two cars one for wife the other for himself, kids go to school and can afford vacation in India, however when people from Nigeria ask them for money you will hear, life is though we are barely able to pay the bills.

That is for the people YOU associate with.

That's your f*cking life that doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Generalizing and roping those in my own circles is what I balked at. What those I know are facing is their own experience.

You are not the prime minister of UK to tell me or them different.

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Eastcoastboy(m): 1:41pm On Sep 09, 2023
phemmyfour:
100million naira is around 100k pounds. That should take me 100000/12000 after tax...
That's 8yrs but if I m taking extra shift, that's 100000/18000, that's around 5yrs

You have in a nutshell answered the OP's question.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by BennyDGreat: 1:42pm On Sep 09, 2023
TheFacelessMan:
A friend of mine just said " Going to USA briefly....be back soon" in December 2016. He never returned.

He showed me credit cards that had over NGN 100 million by January 2022.

He is not into crime in any form. He is actually a banker.

He has very well off folks home and away with NO dependents. Just gifts his mum from time to time. He has at least 3 other successful siblings in the US.

For those who want to go - US, Australia, Canada .... in descending order. Most UK folks I know are really struggling.

This person is a senior level professional already.
His annual salary alone could be around 100kUSD or more.....making it big abroad is possible based on the quality of information and what one does with the info. Also, you can never undermine the power of siblings support and network...that's massive. The guy already has great support before entering the country sef
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Eastcoastboy(m): 1:44pm On Sep 09, 2023
ajimo54:

Do not be pained! You can afford a better life for yourself in Nigeria if u truly earn like the OP! What life is abroad? One of ur people living abroad duped me of $ 6,000 in 2018. You all talk of future? What is future without money? Europe looks so bleak! I actually don't see future there. Future is in Nigeria!

Sorry about that.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by obaidan: 1:46pm On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:
Please, refrain from dragging the country's situation into your answer or any other reason to JAPA. Kindly focus on answering the question as best as possible.

Thanks

What exactly do you mean. The ONLY reason people japa is because of the country's situation but you want them to defend JaPa without saying nothing about the country's situation.

Your argument is somewhat flawed. You've got to do like for likes, apple for apples argument. Compare ur income to software engineers abroad. For example a POORLY paid junior software engineer in the US should earn around 7kUSD/month(emphasis on poorly paid) which st 850/$ is approx. 6m naira.....in the 6.6years you projected, that's about 470million naira, so use ur church mind remove the high taxes, cost of living, bills that u are running from and see for yourself if he wouldn't have 100m naira in asse, if he has same profile as you(single etc).

What you don't understand is that this amount you earn as a software engineer working remotely from naija is also because you have not japa to where ur location will help u negotiate big bucks. And I hope that 100m u are talking about isn't ur entire salary sha, make e be weytin u project to save o. Compare ur income with fellow software engineers not taxi drivers or care home workers.

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by rickleye: 1:46pm On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:
I'm a software engineer working remotely from Nigeria. I earn a 7-figure monthly salary.
With my salary only (at an average exchange rate of 850/$), it would take me about 6.6 years to save up 100 million, provided I have zero dependents and had to cater only for myself throughout those years. It's quite a naive way to project this though because a lot of things can happen along those years. But it still gives an idealistic comparison base.

So my question goes to Nigerians currently living or have lived abroad. Can you tell us the country, the job title, and how long it would take to save up to NGN100 milliion, assuming you have zero dependents and have to cater for only yourself. Do remember to factor in taxes if any and other living expenses for yourself alone

The reason for my question is not far-fetched. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to sell ones' properties worth milliions just to JAPA and go start over again. Please, refrain from dragging the country's situation into your answer or any other reason to JAPA. Kindly focus on answering the question as best as possible.

Thanks.

6.6 years = 78months
N100,000,000/78 months =N 1,282,000 a month

1,282,000/850 = USD$1500 a month.

Now I will assume by your calc, taxes have been taken off.

Zero dependants is impossible
Vehicle or Bus pass is a dependent
feeding / resto service is one
Internet / mobile phone
Clothes is another.
Tv services
Investments - RRSP or Savings is another. ( I am talking about disposable income - money that you set aside for raining day which will not affect your goal of N100m.
What happens if the company downsizes ?
Send money to parents or siblings
Go on Vacation.

Considering the aforementioned . It will double your 6.6 years. Without a business or non taxable venture ….

Good luck 🤞
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by rickleye: 1:47pm On Sep 09, 2023
erico2k2:

2 years financial history is not enough to secure a mortgage,you need at least three to 5 years unless you have initial capital

Yep selling property and having initial d/p. You can get someone to consign the loan .
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by erico2k2(m): 1:50pm On Sep 09, 2023
TheFacelessMan:

That is for the people YOU associate with.

That's your f*cking life that doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Generalizing and roping those in my own circles is what I balked at. What those I know are facing is their own experience.

You are not the prime minister of UK to tell me or them different.
OK we agree with you, The people you associate with and in your circle struggle abroad U win.REST
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by phemmyfour: 1:52pm On Sep 09, 2023
Procashtips:

Advantage here is that most remote income earned in Nigeria hardly get taxed.
Exactly, and the fact that you earn in foreign currency and spend in naira

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Eastcoastboy(m): 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2023
yoged:
With the amount you Dey make. If den born your papa and mama well, try travel by road across Nigeria especially the Northern part and let’s see if you can come back safely. . You guys always think it’s about the money. SMH

How would they know he has such money, unless he want go dey drive Range Rover for street with bling bling all over his neck.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by seuncyrus(m): 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2023
Eastcoastboy:

He can still get shot over there, the difference is that he'll gain access to medical care quick.

LOL. Ok

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by TheFacelessMan: 1:55pm On Sep 09, 2023
erico2k2:

OK we agree with you, The people you associate with and in your circle struggle abroad U win.REST

Next time you use your brains for better things than begging.

What my dog eats, your father dreams of.

I have the antidote for your stupidity. wink
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Olawade24: 2:04pm On Sep 09, 2023
DeBigdick:
Do you want to hear the Truth?
To earn 100Million Abroad depends on the kind of skills and Industry you are.
Medical Practitioners, Tech and few other industry will certainly be earning a lot of $ so it'll be easy for them to make that in few years.
Some Resident doctors for example make $5000 per month, Nurses around $4000.
But all these is after years of hardwork. Also, Keep in mind they're heavily taxed plus Bills too. Removing tax and bills 40% of their income is already gone.

Bottom line is if you're a king in Nigeria there's no need to migrate to become a slave. I for example earn almost $700 per month from Upwork and Fiverr, I also play 4 odds on sporty bed. my gross income is almost $1500 per month. if I convert my $ to Naira, that's a lot. If I were living in the US I will be a poor man. To make 100 Million will take me 2 -3 years.

Also here in Nigeria I'm not choked with taxes, I've never paid water bill before, I didn't pay tax when I bought my car I didn't pay vat or tax for my house, everything here is like cash and carry.

The only thing Nigeria doesn't have in human Security and Dignity of labour

But Still, I'd rather be a Rich man in Nigeria than be a struggling man in Abroad.

Most of my guys wished they never left but they'll rather die there doing manual jobs than come back because of shame.

This is not PR for Anti - Japa. I'm just telling you the reality, Abroad is not bed of roses. if you're making a lot of money here, I see no reason why you should Japa to another country to suffer.

If you're girl and you're freaky Dm

Like how much will you earn per month and never Japan again, if it were to be you.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by digitalheadline(m): 2:09pm On Sep 09, 2023
tosyne2much:
Very funny question!

N100m is about $100k

Even in the US, 90% of people no go smell $100k in their lifetime
Them don brain wash una head tire for naija. Better leave if you can. $100k no be money again for yankee. People dey aim to be dollar millionaires now...

2 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Smartguyboy(m): 2:11pm On Sep 09, 2023
Ajione:
Is not only money that make people japa, some issues are settled, like security good road getting values for your taxes and when children is involved, your children future are secured.
Anybody trying to japa and thinking of becoming a multi millionaire or billionaire Na big mistake. But am sure once you are not lazy you will leave a comfortable life.
With the present situation in this country things are hard, salary Na pie but.
If I come to you now and I said I need 50k will you give me?
I prefer leaving this country than leaving like a prisoner in my own country.

It’s so annoying when people think the only reason to japa is good road and security. Nowhere is safe dear they are more killing in USA than anywhere in the world .
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Smartguyboy(m): 2:14pm On Sep 09, 2023
Prudency045:
And what is the percentage of Nigerians that will be able to save 1million naira before they die?

Even in the west, their citizens aren't rich in the context of their country but have access to credits and good quality of life.

It is not about money saved rather it is about the quality of life people can live with the money they earn.
You just should stop lying more than %50 can’t access credit or have a quality life. That why so state are passing law if you steal anything below $900 is not a crime.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by obaidan: 2:15pm On Sep 09, 2023
digitalheadline:

Them don brain wash una head tire for naija. Better leave if you can. $100k no be money again for yankee. People dey aim to be dollar millionaires now...
The unfortunate stories fly around while the good one is still trying to develop wings...
Who will tell these people that fresh graduate are looking for and getting $100k/year jobs

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Smartguyboy(m): 2:15pm On Sep 09, 2023
BigDawsNet:
Hahahahah... wher you won make make 100m... for where...

Tho if you get in with a work permit and get a job as a Senior Doctor or top Software Engineer and work for probably for NaSa.. den you can make 100m in probably 3years
How many % of people have such opportunities to work in nasa? Or secured a top software engineer?

2 Likes

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by jegaxe(m): 2:17pm On Sep 09, 2023
not only money that make people japa, some issues are settled, like security good road getting values for your taxes and when children is involved, your children future are secured.
Anybody trying to japa and thinking of becoming a multi millionaire or billionaire Na big mistake. But am sure once you are not lazy you will leave a comfortable life.
With the present situation in this country things are hard, salary Na pie but.
If I come to you now and I said I need 50k will you give me?
I prefer leaving this country than
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by erico2k2(m): 2:17pm On Sep 09, 2023
TheFacelessMan:

Next time you use your brains for better things than begging.

What my dog eats, your father dreams of.

I have the antidote for your stupidity. wink
I know you are looking for attention and being noticed now you have one FOXTROT OSCAR already Plz
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by abimcdssi: 2:18pm On Sep 09, 2023
horlahsunbo225:
What do you need #100 million for?
To pepper his neighbours now
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by erico2k2(m): 2:18pm On Sep 09, 2023
Smartguyboy:

It’s so annoying when people think the only reason to japa is good road and security. Nowhere is safe dear they are more killing in USA than anywhere in the world .
I disagree with you, the only reason you hear of killings is cos its recorded and documented,.In NIgeria no record, if not for social Meadie just now we nor go hear anything

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Kelechi009: 2:19pm On Sep 09, 2023
Klass99:

You understood the assignment, I enjoyed reading your entire post. Seven blessings to you!

Tunibu’s baby girl, how are you?
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Olawade24: 2:22pm On Sep 09, 2023
NoNaw:

The jealousy perfume youre wearing is so strong.

Okay no problem then. Ive heard you

I don't even believe his story someone who has gone to Sweden, look at his moniker mumuonbail. Quite pathetic.
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Wodu89: 2:23pm On Sep 09, 2023
ogbonti:

God bless you - this japa thing going on now is more from inferiority complex than the motives they state openly

My friend is in the US- I feel so inferior to him whenever he visits - his skin is nice looking- he speaks phonetics - people respect him

No I must japa - this is the mentality fueling 99% of japa - they forget that friend does not have 10% of what they have

he visited Nigeria borrowing to come intimidate you and later return to pay huge debts and suffer working long hours with zero savings

BUT those feeling inferior and feeling intimidated have house of their own and car- all payed for no debt YET they feel intimidated

by someone who pays through his nose monthly for the next 20 to 30 years for mortgage and even when he pays if OFF - the house

can be taken away from him someday if he fails to pay property taxes, insurance or association fees - and you in Nigeria, you do not

suffer such inconveniences much like those living abroad - let me stop for now - A word they say is enough for the wise!

You will like horror movies. Such a gory narrative angry
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by obaidan: 2:24pm On Sep 09, 2023
tosyne2much:
Very funny question!

N100m is about $100k

Even in the US, 90% of people no go smell $100k in their lifetime

Let me ask you, what percentage of Nigerians living in Nigeria will smell 100m in their lifetime....

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by LegitWebsites: 2:26pm On Sep 09, 2023
We (Myself and My Wife) are yet to Japa from Nigeria To Cameroon.

And Our Reason for The Japa is for Crypto Cross-Border Arbitrage Since We are still waiting for Tinubu to fulfil His Mandate.

We cannot continue underutilizing Our Digital Skills in This Country.

For Those Who Understand What Crypto Cross-Border Arbitrage is All About and Would Love To Join Up, I'll drop A Thread Link For Them To Follow and Read Up.

This September - We Move...!

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by Trustmea: 2:28pm On Sep 09, 2023
Prudency045:
And what is the percentage of Nigerians that will be able to save 1million naira before they die?

Even in the west, their citizens aren't rich in the context of their country but have access to credits and good quality of life.

It is not about money saved rather it is about the quality of life people can live with the money they earn.
Are you for real 1m naira?
Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by IbeOkehie: 2:29pm On Sep 09, 2023
Zyxsc:
I'm a software engineer working remotely from Nigeria. I earn a 7-figure monthly salary.
With my salary only (at an average exchange rate of 850/$), it would take me about 6.6 years to save up 100 million, provided I have zero dependents and had to cater only for myself throughout those years. It's quite a naive way to project this though because a lot of things can happen along those years. But it still gives an idealistic comparison base.

So my question goes to Nigerians currently living or have lived abroad. Can you tell us the country, the job title, and how long it would take to save up to NGN100 milliion, assuming you have zero dependents and have to cater for only yourself. Do remember to factor in taxes if any and other living expenses for yourself alone

The reason for my question is not far-fetched. I'm just wondering if it's worth it to sell ones' properties worth milliions just to JAPA and go start over again. Please, refrain from dragging the country's situation into your answer or any other reason to JAPA. Kindly focus on answering the question as best as possible.

Thanks.

No you're not a software engineer and definitely NOT a remote worker. If so please post your name, city & state of residence and who you work for. So there's at least a chance we can judge the truth for ourselves.

This reminds me of one of the most cynical and frankly petty arguments I got from the Anti-Jakpa Crew is this:

sihamey:

Oga in conclusion make we all runaway from Nigeria and leave Boko Haram conquer the country or a white man will come develop Nigeria
No vex how many of your family members have you help to immigrants abroad
They way you see dead body on the Nigeria road it evidence you have been feeding with fake news on social media, remember social media are monetized so read any news at your Peru grin
If what you portrayed Nigeria to be them we all shouldn’t be alive in Nigerian by now talk more of thinking for migration. Move all your family members abroad them come back to advise us Shikina wink

Honestly the thread was a riot, simply hilarious. You have to marvel at what poverty has done to Nigerians. grin grin grin

So this is the new argument to discourage migration...SAVINGS cheesy . Apparently those living abroad have no savings, but they build more than half the residential buildings in Nigeria and send home $10 to $25 billion in remittances.

Nonsense.

Good Luck to Nigerians!

1 Like

Re: After JAPA - How Long It Took To Make Your First 100 Million by obaidan: 2:34pm On Sep 09, 2023
DeBigdick:
Do you want to hear the Truth?
To earn 100Million Abroad depends on the kind of skills and Industry you are.
Medical Practitioners, Tech and few other industry will certainly be earning a lot of $ so it'll be easy for them to make that in few years.
Some Resident doctors for example make $5000 per month, Nurses around $4000.
But all these is after years of hardwork. Also, Keep in mind they're heavily taxed plus Bills too. Removing tax and bills 40% of their income is already gone.

Bottom line is if you're a king in Nigeria there's no need to migrate to become a slave. I for example earn almost $700 per month from Upwork and Fiverr, I also play 4 odds on sporty bed. my gross income is almost $1500 per month. if I convert my $ to Naira, that's a lot. If I were living in the US I will be a poor man. To make 100 Million will take me 2 -3 years.

Also here in Nigeria I'm not choked with taxes, I've never paid water bill before, I didn't pay tax when I bought my car I didn't pay vat or tax for my house, everything here is like cash and carry.

The only thing Nigeria doesn't have in human Security and Dignity of labour

But Still, I'd rather be a Rich man in Nigeria than be a struggling man in Abroad.

Most of my guys wished they never left but they'll rather die there doing manual jobs than come back because of shame.

This is not PR for Anti - Japa. I'm just telling you the reality, Abroad is not bed of roses. if you're making a lot of money here, I see no reason why you should Japa to another country to suffer.

If you're girl and you're freaky Dm
Most of your guys are doing menial jobs? I'll advice you to compare most of your guys doing menial jobs to the people in Nigeria doing menial jobs. If your guy in the US is doing menial job earning 2kUSD/month and he can't save more than 300USD(250 thousand Naira) per month. Compare him with someone in Nigeria doing menial job that his whole salary is 50 thousand naira per month. Compare a software engineer in Nigeria with a software engineer abroad.

You can also advice most of your guys doing menial jobs to get a skill Abroad and be free

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

If You Are Given The Oppurtunity To Travel Abroad Where Would You Go? / Bus Collides With A Lorry In Enugu, All Passengers Dead (Graphic Photos) / Nigerian Migrant Couple Kissing Aboard A Ship After Being Rescued from Sea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.