Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,515 members, 7,816,250 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me (44291 Views)

I Do Not Want To Japa But What Business Can I Start With 4 Million Naira. / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused / My Family Is Discouraging Me From Moving To UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Goalnaldo(m): 10:29am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

My kid sister earns $25 an hour, sometimes $30 depending on the facility she gets sent to and a minimum of 12-hour shift with zero special skill other than the usual caregiving knowledge.

Siddon there.
is she single? Connect me with her please
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Light78: 10:32am On Oct 07, 2023
My only advice for you is to think positively. Any negative thoughts will make you give up.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by idanone(m): 10:33am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.
do it without him.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 10:33am On Oct 07, 2023
ehikwe22:

Europe is advanced Africa? And you think the US is more advanced than Europe? What a dumb man you are

You are very very ignorant, I see.

Tell me the country and city you are in Europe make I describe your house for you.

You need to travel more, son.

The €1,200-2,000 you earn in a month in Europe is what I make in some one weeks.

You better change location, guy.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by ehikwe22: 10:33am On Oct 07, 2023
SirLakes:

Go sidon joor

Na only you go Europe

I even know person wey dey same Europe illegally after him paper expire, e don build 3 good house for here! Person wey fit borrow money from a day old baby when he dey naija.

Una matter just tire pesin

If you go there and still no make am, your village people dey on top your matter.

This same mindset is the reason 90% of Nigerians here are disillusioned and depressed because they don't believe you when you tell them the truth, when they come they get disappointed. You only see the people sending money but what about several people homeless? What about people that their family have not heard from for years and decades? Some of those people building those houses are always in and out of jail and if they get unlucky might get locked for several years in a row - is that an ideal kind of lifestyle?

To make legitimate income is not easy in Europe and America and you'll be ready to do any kind of labour job that's rejected by their people

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Ajsmart(m): 10:38am On Oct 07, 2023
Your friend is being very sincere and real with you. He’s speaking out of love for you. The chances of you making it big at your age is quite slim and he’s probably trying to save you from future regrets.
Believe it or not, there is age-discrimination in the U.S and coupled with being an African complicate issues. Let’s not even begin talking about racism and other -isms you’re sure to face as well as assimilation to the culture and American-ism.

With that said, make sure to have a plan B to fall back on in Nigeria incase things don’t work out as planned in the U.S

wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by 0rion: 10:39am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.

If you gotten a job waiting for you go but if not just stay in Nigeria
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by frog12: 10:39am On Oct 07, 2023
that friend should have kept his mouth quiet. now he is the enemy

Beremx:
That your friend is your worst enemy. You can still travel without him helping you. Get plan B
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by WantsandMore: 10:40am On Oct 07, 2023
Do you intend do japa and stay with him or you intend to japa and find your way?
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by SirLakes: 10:41am On Oct 07, 2023
ehikwe22:

To make legitimate income is not easy in Europe and America and you'll be ready to do any kind of labour job that's rejected by their people

Come and push your wheelbarrow here instead of pushing it there.

You wan dey claim say you geh options for another man's land, in your own land, you get options....Msc holders dey collect less than 35k, na dream job be that one abi anyhow job.

Mtcheeew!!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by yusman14(m): 10:44am On Oct 07, 2023
ihatebuhari:
Please distance yourself from such a friend. you don't need any useless skill to make it in abroad

That your friend is your enemy. I'll only advise you as you're making your plans to come to the US just try and learn trailer driving like three months once you get here they'll teach you better for your age it would be the best job for you.
Good day ma.
I sent you an email, I will like to have a conversation with you ma.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by ChybuzzDD(m): 10:46am On Oct 07, 2023
milescollins:
I currently live in Accra, Ghana. I’ve lived here for three years and a few months and I have my own house, a car for myself and I feed a lot of folks, those that I know and those that I don’t.
Now let me tell you how I got here; it was a friend who recommended that I come over here. He gave me an opportunity that he didn’t take and that’s called true friendship. Your friend who lives in the States for more than a decade is telling you stories and you still want an advice, that’s pathetic.
A friend will try to help you, give you what you need to get up and not discourage you.
Always make your plans without consulting a friend, na person wey sabi person dey kill am. Take this from me.

Do we know if it's a life of crime/fraud you're living in Ghana?

We're talking about a man here who's going to start his life anew abroad at 50 with no skills and no plans of resorting to fraud.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by koning: 10:47am On Oct 07, 2023
being:
Retire where? In Canada shocked? Back to Nigeria? You are the enemy without realising.. You want a man in his 40s(assumed) to goan start all over again in subzero weather. The man is without I.T, medical, or technical skills or big4 experience.. He would most likely have to do manual work at that age in very cold weather. He wouldn't have so much to save after bills, the culture is going to be shocking to him, he will experience systematic racism.. the only thing he will have better is better health care & more organised system.. but these are not worth the disadvantages!!!!

'nuff said. Don't have much to add excerpt to say that anyone that wants to travel out should decide for him or herself. He will experience the shock personally. I'm done giving advice to men 45 and above who are contemplating it.

I will say this one more time. If whatever you are doing in Nigeria is giving you N200k or more a month, sit your black ass back in Nigeria. Or travel and count your losses later.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by ChybuzzDD(m): 10:49am On Oct 07, 2023
maestroferddi:
Oga stop spreading dangerous negativity...

Every human endeavour comes with a degree of risk.

Stop sounding as if you know what you are talking about...

What do you understand by skill?

[b]More 80% of Nigerians who go abroad arrive there with zero skills [/b]if we are going to go with a strict interpretation of the term...

Keep your defeatist pessimism to yourself abeg...

That's also the reason most of you resort to crimes abroad and give the country a very bad name, when compared to Indians, for example.

You hardly see an Indian who traveled without one skill or the other, and that's how it should be.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 10:51am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

Listen, my friend.

I was exactly 40 years and 2 months when I made the move a year plus ago.

The couple that took me in work in the caregiving industry and fixed me up with an agency who gave me a job the next day.

From the lil cash I came in with, I was able to secure a room for.$500 immediately to give the couple some space and to avoid see-finish.

From the day I started the work, it was back-to-back shifts and I got $4,500 car within same month because you need a personal car for the work.

Being already in the industry, it becomes easier to network and look out for other high-paying agencies. In the 4 month, I abandoned my first agency and got another one that pays higher with a fixed minimum of 14 hours per day. Sometimes I run 24 hours,, after all na money I come hustle with no kids to babysit at home.

My passion and dedication earned me loads of good reviews and whatever hours I desired. From there, I branched out to yet another agency that pays even higher with an even posher condition and environment of work.

All these, without any green card oh...I average $5-6k in a month very comfortably, you can go and verifyyy.

Make una stop to dey use una limited knowledge of the workings of things dey discourage people.

Una dey look down on people and their hustle not knowing you guys are learners in the grand scheme of things.

Do you see those Hispanic lawn care guys? Do you think they have work authorizations? Go check how much they make and how they encourage themselves with the grind.

Our own na so so negativity and discouragement.

Must everyone be skilled the way you guys understand "skilling up"?

Nansense
Ready my post again.

1. You are not 50!
2. You cannot secure your retirement in 5-7yrs.

I have no discouraged anyone, but dont lie to people that they can secure their retirement in 5-7years. Read my post again sir 😊
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by ihatebuhari(f): 10:51am On Oct 07, 2023
yusman14:
Good day sir.
I sent you an email, I will like to have a conversation with you sir.
sir? lol
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 10:52am On Oct 07, 2023
sunboy:

Ready my post again.

1. You are not 50!
2. You cannot secure your retirement in 5-7yrs.

I have no discouraged anyone, but dont lie to people that they can secure their retirement in 5-7years. Read my post again sir 😊

Keep living in your "impossibilities".

Well done.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by duchez(m): 10:53am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
You are calling a closet enemy a friend?

I pity you, bro.

He gets a hard-on from reading about and knowing that he's doing better than you economically and material-wise and all the respect and worship you've been according to him will become a thing of the past.

Most of them hate competition and always revel in the reality of being the ones at the center of all attention.

Even if you are 50 and able to move to the U.S., get serious, work legitimately for the next 5-7 years, and call it a wrap, you will have successfully settled your downlines and created a wonderful retirement plan for yourself with proper planning.

Move, if you can, and with the right plans and connect.

It is good to skill up, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it and it isn't the beginning and end of life.

There are a ton of zero-skilled jobs where you can make the equivalent of what you currently earn in a month in Nigeria in just a single day..yeah, you heard me right, in a dayyyyy.

*Edited*

For those quoting me to say what they know nothing about or just getting pissed that I might be encouraging people to come compete with them, I no blame una, it is the usual hoarding of information by Nigerians because they want to be the only ones making it and revered in their locality.

In the U.S., every other nationality are united and supportive of themselves with information and intelligence sharing to prosper together. But Nigerians? Neverrrr. Dem go dey buga dey talk from nose...

Come see Haitians, Moroccans, Kenyans, Hispanics, all having agencies and supporting their people with jobs to survive....

Kapish

Absolutely spot on!
I don’t k ow what’s wrong with we Nigerians. Come to the UK and you will see Zimbabweans and Indians doing everything to help their people move over here and settle in but as for Nigerians, their specialty is to discourage their people and are always unwilling to help.
Indians will register an Agency and help loads of their people to move over. Same with Zimbabweans. But our own case is always different! It’s crazy.
For anyone who cares to listen, I’ll always say it, leave Nigeria! Travel and if you don’t have the right skill set, work on yourself to level up while doing minimum wage jobs in the meantime. It will fetch you enough to sustain yourself. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!!!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 10:54am On Oct 07, 2023
adecz:

Some people only think of what you
earn abroad in direct comparison to what
you earn in Nigeria.

They don't understand that the cost of
an average accommodation in an average
American city may approach the equivalent
of N1.5 per month. By the time you factor
in your home electricity and gas bills, it
may add another N300k equivalent. You
never talk about food and transportation
cost yet❗️❗️❗️

It's easier if you have somebody who
is ready to accommodate you for a reasonable
period, before you settle down, but your
presence will also increase his own bills.

Nothing is free in obodo oyibo.

Exactly my point, God bless you!

Anybody can make it abroad at any age, but to confidently telling a 50yr old that they will secure their retirement in 5-7yrs is greatly over reaching especially working menial jobs That person must either be doing yahoo? Won lottery or have zero bills.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 10:55am On Oct 07, 2023
Tazdan:
The worstest America is better than the best Nigeria.

You guys should stop with this rubbish. In America jobs are readily available to do for one to pay and sort bills.

In Nigeria, you graduate after studying for years but there are no jobs, you are home depressed with no means of income.

Tell me what can be more harder and depressing than that? Well it is only a foolish Nigerian that can be discouraged by online noise.

I can never be. America or nothing!

I agree with you sir! But not telling somebody if they move at 50yr old their retirement can be secured in 5-7yrs working menial jobs. That’s one a lie!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by IkeAbuja: 10:57am On Oct 07, 2023
You want to take loan to japa and you don't even have any Europe indemand skills 🥴 and it's obvious you are not japaring with work visa...my brother if you must take loan to japa go and learn a good skill don't make the mistake that we made thank you
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 10:57am On Oct 07, 2023
duchez:

Absolutely spot on!
I don’t k ow what’s wrong with we Nigerians. Come to the UK and you will see Zimbabweans and Indians doing everything to help their people move over here and settle in but as for Nigerians, their specialty is to discourage their people and are always unwilling to help.
Indians will register an Agency and help loads of their people to move over. Same with Zimbabweans. But our own case is always different! It’s crazy.
For anyone who cares to listen, I’ll always say it, leave Nigeria! Travel and if you don’t have the right skill set, work on yourself to level up while doing minimum wage jobs in the meantime. It will fetch you enough to sustain yourself. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!!!

I don't know how it affects them that other people are trying to make a move for a better life.

The least you can do is let them know it won't be rosy but still way better than their current condition back home and advise them to stay away from committing crimes.

Witchcraft no be only the night crawlers...

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Raymondknows: 10:57am On Oct 07, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Lol.

Are you okay. Which kind wait 5 years, no na 50 years. Haba! The truth is that Nigeria cannot be fixed, I'm currently making contacts to get an apartment in Ghana for me and my family and I will leave this shege country and go my way, you can stay here.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by IjebuWarrior: 10:58am On Oct 07, 2023
being:
Retire where? In Canada shocked? Back to Nigeria? You are the enemy without realising.. You want a man in his 40s(assumed) to goan start all over again in subzero weather. The man is without I.T, medical, or technical skills or big4 experience.. He would most likely have to do manual work at that age in very cold weather. He wouldn't have so much to save after bills, the culture is going to be shocking to him, he will experience systematic racism.. the only thing he will have better is better health care & more organised system.. but these are not worth the disadvantages!!!!

You're very MADDD! angry

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Raymondknows: 10:59am On Oct 07, 2023
Skyview01:
I will advise you not to Japa now. Not yet. E get Y

Very soon, Canada will be visa on arrival for Nigerians.
I trust Tinubu and our able minister of Interior.

Just wait about 5 more years and you will thank me and your friend later.

Are you okay. Which kind wait 5 years, no na 50 years. Haba! The truth is that Nigeria cannot be fixed, I'm currently making contacts to get an apartment in Ghana for me and my family and I will leave this shege country and go my way, you can stay here.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by CodeTemplar: 10:59am On Oct 07, 2023
Raymondknows:

Gana is too far. Ambazonia is closer.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sunboy(m): 11:00am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

Keep living in your "impossibilities".

Well done.

Again read my post again… but let me help clarify here.

You can work care jobs and buy house in Naija within 5yrs if you work live-in and save up on rent. The guy said you can secure your retirement in 5-7urs, common! America is not eldorado now. I for sure know what I’m talking about… unless you win a lottery or do some illegal stuff. You cannot secure a retirement in 5years working care or security jobs and paying bills abeg, especially a 50yr old man that probably have kids back home and send money home steady?

I encourage everybody to travel if you feel it’s the best decision for you, but we don’t have to lie to people about the realities though. We can be truthful about it while encouraging such people. That way they can better plan and they are better informed. That’s not discouraging anyone, it’s getting them informed.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by 0rion: 11:01am On Oct 07, 2023
ihatebuhari:
Please distance yourself from such a friend. you don't need any useless skill to make it in abroad

That your friend is your enemy. I'll only advise you as you're making your plans to come to the US just try and learn trailer driving like three months once you get here they'll teach you better for your age it would be the best job for you.

You don't need any skill yet you contradicted yourself in this same post by tell him to learn a skill. Shocking!
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Teymanhenry(f): 11:01am On Oct 07, 2023
He's helped you already. He said you need a skill. So now, what skill do you possess? how old are you? Can you learn other skills before leaving?
Note: There are more blacks in texas than anywhere in the US so racism is minimal. But crime rate and police bullying could be higher. If you got the money, pls go. You won't regret it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by finallybusy: 11:03am On Oct 07, 2023
You’ve made a decision for yourself. What is the problem again?
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by CodeTemplar: 11:03am On Oct 07, 2023
duchez:

Absolutely spot on!

It is safer to go with a hot in-demand skill than to be sorry about going there. 180k here is not that bad yet. The advanced nations too are facing their own challenges and it will be too risky to leave certainty for uncertainty like that.
The poster never revealed his skillset or vocation. That would have made it more easier to get specific advise.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Victorcwu(m): 11:04am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
You are calling a closet enemy a friend?

I pity you, bro.

He gets a hard-on from reading about and knowing that he's doing better than you economically and material-wise and all the respect and worship you've been according to him will become a thing of the past.

Most of them hate competition and always revel in the reality of being the ones at the center of all attention.

Even if you are 50 and able to move to the U.S., get serious, work legitimately for the next 5-7 years, and call it a wrap, you will have successfully settled your downlines and created a wonderful retirement plan for yourself with proper planning.

Move, if you can, and with the right plans and connect.

It is good to skill up, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it and it isn't the beginning and end of life.

There are a ton of zero-skilled jobs where you can make the equivalent of what you currently earn in a month in Nigeria in just a single day..yeah, you heard me right, in a dayyyyy.

*Edited*

For those quoting me to say what they know nothing about or just getting pissed that I might be encouraging people to come compete with them, I no blame una, it is the usual hoarding of information by Nigerians because they want to be the only ones making it and revered in their locality.

In the U.S., every other nationality are united and supportive of themselves with information and intelligence sharing to prosper together. But Nigerians? Neverrrr. Dem go dey buga dey talk from nose...

Come see Haitians, Moroccans, Kenyans, Hispanics, all having agencies and supporting their people with jobs to survive....

Kapish

Anybody opposing what you said should is an enemy of progress.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Canada Warns Nigerian Asylum Seekers Crossing From US 'No Free Ticket' / Woman Blasted For Photoshopping Her Trip From Kenya To China (Hilarious Photos) / Deadly Accident At Maitama Junction In Abuja Nigeria (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.