Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,938 members, 7,817,748 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me (44327 Views)

I Do Not Want To Japa But What Business Can I Start With 4 Million Naira. / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused / My Family Is Discouraging Me From Moving To UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sweetgala(m): 8:46am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
You are calling a closet enemy a friend?

I pity you, bro.

He gets a hard-on from reading about and knowing that he's doing better than you economically and material-wise and all the respect and worship you've been according to him will become a thing of the past.

Most of them hate competition and always revel in the reality of being the ones at the center of all attention.

Even if you are 50 and able to move to the U.S., get serious, work legitimately for the next 5-7 years, and call it a wrap, you will have successfully settled your downlines and created a wonderful retirement plan for yourself with proper planning.

Move, if you can, and with the right plans and connect.

It is good to skill up, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it and it isn't the beginning and end of life.

There are a ton of zero-skilled jobs where you can make the equivalent of what you currently earn in a month in Nigeria in just a single day..yeah, you heard me right, in a dayyyyy.

Okay ooh. Person talk say he doesn't have any technical skills, he possibly has a decent government job in Nigeria he'll be doing manual labour I can assure you of that in Canada/America, he'll end up hating himself for leaving for the "unknown" as his friend put it.

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by ovieigho(m): 8:47am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

I pity you, bro.

He gets a hard-on from reading about and knowing that he's doing better than you economically and material-wise and all the respect and worship you've been according to him will become a thing of the past.

Most of them hate competition and always revel in the reality of being the ones at the center of all attention.

Even if you are 50 and able to move to the U.S., get serious, work legitimately for the next 5-7 years, and call it a wrap, you will have successfully settled your downlines and created a wonderful retirement plan for yourself with proper planning.

It is good to skill up, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it and it isn't the beginning and end of life.

There are a ton of zero-skilled jobs where you can make the equivalent of what you currently earn in a month in Nigeria in just a single day..yeah, you heard me right, in a dayyyyy.

No be lie ….📌
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by cliqtips: 8:47am On Oct 07, 2023
slimjohn2k5:
I hv a friend in uk that kept telling me it is hard over to there and withing 4 months he invited mum who is still there with him and relocated his sister with her husband n 2 kids last week.

If you Make up ur mind, do it.

If you still ask him, I'm sure he would still tell you it's hard over there grin

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by enemyofprogress: 8:47am On Oct 07, 2023
bolabadmus38:
He's not a good friend,take it or leave it. There are some enemies of progress but you innocently think are freinds. I have a friend who was 55years that travelled to US with school certificate last three years. For me, don't discuss your plans with him again. Some guys are like that. Believe you can achieve anything without anyone except God .
stop mentioning my name o
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Goalnaldo(m): 8:47am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

I pity you, bro.

This one is pure exaggeration boss. Meaning with the current exchange rate he has to earn $25 an hour in 8hrs a day. Where do they pay someone with zero skills that?
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by FireUpNow(m): 8:49am On Oct 07, 2023
Take the bull by the horn
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Exceed15: 8:50am On Oct 07, 2023
At this age taking the risk is not bad. And because you are determined and purposeful things will work for you.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sweetgala(m): 8:51am On Oct 07, 2023
being:
Retire where? In Canada shocked? Back to Nigeria? You are the enemy without realising.. You want a man in his 40s(assumed) to goan start all over again in subzero weather. The man is without I.T, medical, or technical skills or big4 experience.. He would most likely have to do manual work at that age in very cold weather. He wouldn't have so much to save after bills, the culture is going to be shocking to him, he will experience systematic racism.. the only thing he will have better is better health care & more organised system.. but these are not worth the disadvantages!!!!

Imagine waking up at 5am to go get public transport in freezing cold up, with heavy snowfall so you can go do some manual labour work where a 24 year old would be shouting at you and insulting you. Making silly statements about your capacity and threatening to sack you.

I see many black folks living this realities, and some I've known have not broken from these shackles even 12 year after they Japa

8 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by qrymz(m): 8:52am On Oct 07, 2023
The worst think about this narration is you calling him a friend. USA is not a great place but he didn't return home but advising you to keep depending on less that 200 dollars monthly

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by drnoel: 8:52am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

I pity you, bro.

Very stupid comment here
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by remiopash: 8:54am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.
You may not agree with your friend but never discard his concerns. Look at how to 'tackle' those concerns when you eventually migrate.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sweetgala(m): 8:54am On Oct 07, 2023
slimjohn2k5:
I hv a friend in uk that kept telling me it is hard over to there and withing 4 months he invited mum who is still there with him and relocated his sister with her husband n 2 kids last week.

His mum is looking after his kids I'm certain. And what skills does his sister and husband have.
No one can "relocate" you to UK most especially with their difficult immigration laws, his sister and husband are either in a highly skilled job sector or one of them has a study visa with a permission to join status for the family which is being stopped by UK in the coming year I've been told.

Unless you expect your friend to come up with 15k pounds for you to start a master programme

8 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Hotice085: 8:57am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.

Either you get a skill first or Japa with loads of cash
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Klass99(f): 8:57am On Oct 07, 2023
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by rockyh(m): 8:57am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.
the sane thing anyone will do for himself is to move out of Nigeria. It's damage is irreparable
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Skillsnigeria: 8:57am On Oct 07, 2023
Hmmm
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by achimendy(m): 8:58am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.

I think your friend is only advising you, trying to make you understand what's there. How you travel out matters allot. You need to have purpose and marketable skill that will fetch you money in order to survive. That's the message your friend is trying to pass to you but you're not getting it. If you dont plan yourself b4 travelling out you'll regret ever travelling out.

I intend to travel out too, but football is what I want to use in getting out. That's the plan am talking about, I dont want to be stranded in another man's land.

So plan yourself well and explore many other options in where you're going to. Think of how you can fit in with what you have (skill).

Finally leave your friend alone.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by franchasofficia: 8:58am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.
That person you call a friend is an enemy, avoid him

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sweetgala(m): 8:58am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

Your ignorance and a refusal to acknowledge same is legendary.

What is IT, Medical, Technical, or the Big 4 skills you are yapping about?

Must everyone be in the above-saturated fields?

Okay, I'll attempt to school you a bit.

In Canada and the U.S., you do not need any utopian skills to get into the caregiving industry. With a good agency, you are sure of very good hours that can fetch you a good 5-6k per month....scratch that.

What is sub-zero weather and what has that got to do with age, building, and tasting what true life and the essence of it truly is?

What benefit is the Nigerian weather that's not sub-zero?

Sustematic racism don suffer for una mouth.

What is not systematic about the Yoruba man calling the Igbo man a sub-human/citizen, the Igbo man calling the Yoruba man a headhunter, and the Hausa in one corner getting demeaned and made a jest of.

Make una dey deceive una sef for there..

Really all thesw care jobs being offered to idiots paying tens of thousands in the UK where have they gone !
There are no surplus care hours anymore they've all been taken up. The only place you'll find a care job with enough hours is in some backwater town where no one wants to go to.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Imobright2004: 8:58am On Oct 07, 2023
My brother he is telling you the truth, use that money to start a good business, there is no tree here they pluck money, ok let me tell you, if you travel now before you will even get document to work is a very big problem so many things involved accomodation etc
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Wujio: 8:58am On Oct 07, 2023
Klass99:

May I please know the exact scripture in the word of God that says this? I would like to verify the truth for myself, to know if it is indeed in the word of God.

That time of the month just ended for me and like most women my body and hormones were haywire, I yearned for the touch of a particular man and strongly felt a desire in me to sleep with him (i.e. fornicate) would you say that is the counsel of the Lord too?

I agree with the other poster (Gaius001) you will mislead people with that sort of statement and counsel. While we have a spirit, we also have a soul, a will and a mind. If your spirit is not predominant and dominating the other aspects of you, you will be exercising your free will, acting from out of your mind and claiming it is God's counsel in your spirit.

My thoughts and desires for that man was all me! It was my mind and free will at play, it had nothing to do with my spirit or the Lord's counsel in my spirit. Abeg die this yarn.

Smh. If you read the Bible, you know i quoted Psalms. Retain your ignorance
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by SeePerson92(m): 8:58am On Oct 07, 2023
God bless you bro, you nailed it here, I love your reasoning, many of them will just open mouth wuah and trash rubbish, OP travel by every means God has given you, you won't regret it. My uncle no get any special skills, he does only night duty , my brother he is living fine than a bank manager here. I am traveling out too by next year , God willing. quote author=Artiiclebeast post=126245747]

Your ignorance and a refusal to acknowledge same is legendary.

What is IT, Medical, Technical, or the Big 4 skills you are yapping about?

Must everyone be in the above-saturated fields?

Okay, I'll attempt to school you a bit.

In Canada and the U.S., you do not need any utopian skills to get into the caregiving industry. With a good agency, you are sure of very good hours that can fetch you a good 5-6k per month....scratch that.

What is sub-zero weather and what has that got to do with age, building, and tasting what true life and the essence of it truly is?

What benefit is the Nigerian weather that's not sub-zero?

Sustematic racism don suffer for una mouth.

What is not systematic about the Yoruba man calling the Igbo man a sub-human/citizen, the Igbo man calling the Yoruba man a headhunter, and the Hausa in one corner getting demeaned and made a jest of.

Make una dey deceive una sef for there..[/quote]
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by almarthins(m): 9:04am On Oct 07, 2023
slimjohn2k5:

May be this person dey depend on his friend, thats why the guy dey discourage am.

Every man is for himself, if he knows this. Him no go tell his friend anything again.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Harddiskng(m): 9:06am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.

There is a realization i came into a long time ago.

The people you call your friends may actually not be your friends. They may not want the best for you.

I have seen when a “friend” won’t purposely help out cause he didn’t want the brother to have what he had. In a case it was with a job, in another case one purposely didn’t remit money that was contributed for his other friend’s migration… brother man i have seen a lot.

At the bolden, that God your spirit has sensed it. Take your destiny into your own hands.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by bolabadmus38: 9:07am On Oct 07, 2023
The difference between the rich and the poor is risk taking. Just try and process a legit traveling and make good arrangements for your family before leaving. You can make it there starting with menial jobs. A good friend like someone earlier mentioned will do his best to get you on track. Life itself is a risk.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by garriAndsugar: 9:07am On Oct 07, 2023
Fellow Nigerians will discourage you.. same way mortuary attendants tell useless stories about ghost to discourage from taking their jobs.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by CodeTemplar: 9:08am On Oct 07, 2023
Skyview01:
I will advise you not to Japa now. Not yet. E get Y

Very soon, Canada will be visa on arrival for Nigerians.
I trust Tinubu and our able minister of Interior.

Just wait about 5 more years and you will thank me and your friend later.
Lol.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sweetgala(m): 9:08am On Oct 07, 2023
milescollins:
I currently live in Accra, Ghana. I’ve lived here for three years and a few months and I have my own house, a car for myself and I feed a lot of folks, those that I know and those that I don’t.
Now let me tell you how I got here; it was a friend who recommended that I come over here.[b] He gave me an opportunity that he didn’t take [/b]and that’s called true friendship. Your friend who lives in the States for more than a decade is telling you stories and you still want an advice, that’s pathetic.
A friend will try to help you, give you what you need to get up and not discourage you.
Always make your plans without consulting a friend, na person wey sabi person dey kill am. Take this from me.

I have emboldened a very important statement, his friend in America doesn't have same opportunities available to offer if he did he would. And I can be sure that the cost of relocating to Ghana is less than a 10th of what it would cost to relocate to USA or Canada.

Your so called house in Ghana can't have cost you more than 30k CAD abeg how much is a decent 3 bed house in a decent city in Canada nothing less than 200-400K CAD. You'll need a 10% down on the mortgage.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sweetgala(m): 9:10am On Oct 07, 2023
InvertedHammer:
/
Japa is a personal decision. No advice necessary. It will either end well or badly. Life abroad is difficult but it is nothing compared to the level of life uncertainties and hardship in Nigeria.

If he japa at 50, he will have the opportunity to live the rest of his life as a human being for once instead of just existing as a body in Nigeria. cool

There is no such thing as zero skills. When he settles in, he can work as a delivery driver, security guard, Uber or Lyft driver, warehouse loader, nurses aides, etc. Many way older than him are doing it and surviving. With few months of training, he can be a truck/trailer driver. The good news is that there are many options and opportunities if he is willing to put in the works.

Warning: Don't sell assets in Nigeria to japa cool
/

Are you advising he should over stay his visa so he can go be a Lyft driver or how is he even meant to Japa to start with.

Abeg that kind uncertainty hustle is for the young not for someone who has a family dependent on him

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Klass99(f): 9:13am On Oct 07, 2023
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Harddiskng(m): 9:14am On Oct 07, 2023
milescollins:
I currently live in Accra, Ghana. I’ve lived here for three years and a few months and I have my own house, a car for myself and I feed a lot of folks, those that I know and those that I don’t.
Now let me tell you how I got here; it was a friend who recommended that I come over here. He gave me an opportunity that he didn’t take and that’s called true friendship. Your friend who lives in the States for more than a decade is telling you stories and you still want an advice, that’s pathetic.
A friend will try to help you, give you what you need to get up and not discourage you.
Always make your plans without consulting a friend, na person wey sabi person dey kill am. Take this from me.

Some things are so subtle. It’s take a particular sense to see through it.

The people that want the best for you, would always help you with whatever they have. They would accommodate you on your way to success.

Then there are people that don’t to see you succeed, would give you a thousand and one reasons not to embark. They would never offer any sort of help, only discouragement.

The same person discouraging the OP. Would push all his own out of Nigeria but he would continuing dishing the same advice to him. You know why? Lol he is not his friend. Beware of such people, they are the worst.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / Ekesons First Class Cabin In Road Buses Makes History / Mention The Funniest Bus-stops You've Ever Heard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.