Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me (44331 Views)

I Do Not Want To Japa But What Business Can I Start With 4 Million Naira. / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused / My Family Is Discouraging Me From Moving To UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Sirchiboy: 9:15am On Oct 07, 2023
milescollins:
I currently live in Accra, Ghana. I’ve lived here for three years and a few months and I have my own house, a car for myself and I feed a lot of folks, those that I know and those that I don’t.
Now let me tell you how I got here; it was a friend who recommended that I come over here. He gave me an opportunity that he didn’t take and that’s called true friendship. Your friend who lives in the States for more than a decade is telling you stories and you still want an advice, that’s pathetic.
A friend will try to help you, give you what you need to get up and not discourage you.
Always make your plans without consulting a friend, na person wey sabi person dey kill am. Take this from me.
What advise do you have for a 45 year old man without a job or wife wanting to travel for a better life
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Mummyimbecile(m): 9:15am On Oct 07, 2023
Don't let anyone discourage you, bro.

He is somehow right in the skill aspect, I will advise you to learn an IT skill before coming to the States.

I did so and it's paying off. After my NYSC, just a few months before my priority date became current for the US NVC to schedule my interview with the embassy, I learned web design and development, and it helped me a lot when I came to the States.

Lots of companies in Vermont and Connecticut need web designers, just google it and you will see for yourself.

Never allow anyone to discourage you, learn these skills, and you can even get a job with a company that will be willing to petition for you to come over.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by asiga(m): 9:16am On Oct 07, 2023
Oga, follow your mind. It might be leading you to your destiny.
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Goddeywithme: 9:16am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
You are calling a closet enemy a friend?

I pity you, bro.

He gets a hard-on from reading about and knowing that he's doing better than you economically and material-wise and all the respect and worship you've been according to him will become a thing of the past.

Most of them hate competition and always revel in the reality of being the ones at the center of all attention.

Even if you are 50 and able to move to the U.S., get serious, work legitimately for the next 5-7 years, and call it a wrap, you will have successfully settled your downlines and created a wonderful retirement plan for yourself with proper planning.

Move, if you can, and with the right plans and connect.

It is good to skill up, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it and it isn't the beginning and end of life.

There are a ton of zero-skilled jobs where you can make the equivalent of what you currently earn in a month in Nigeria in just a single day..yeah, you heard me right, in a dayyyyy.

You forgot to tell him how long it will take him to spend it. Cost of living is way higher. That money he earns in a day there will be spent easily. His monthly rent will become 50 percent of his monthly pay. Don't forget to tell him that
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Acidosis(m): 9:17am On Oct 07, 2023
He is not your enemy. Everyone must not think and reason in the same direction.

The way you see "japa" from Nigeria is the same way people in the village see Lagos. Many Lagosians grumble everyday, but not everyone is willing to return to the village. It doesn't mean they're living a meaningful life in Lagos.

Migration, whether local or international, is a personal choice. No one should be thinking for you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Yugoslavia247(m): 9:17am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.

Bro learn a skill.
Barbing
Plumbing
Ac repair
Painting
Or other skills.

When you get there you start with that.

Simple

People from Benin republic come to naija to hustle to. Is naija not hard enough but they still love it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by standfit007: 9:19am On Oct 07, 2023
Just imagine what you are saying “he is 8x likely to get shot in US than in Nigeria” yet 8 out of 100 don’t drop dead daily ba? You don’t know what this country truly holds today, say for someone who use to buy 70liters at 15600 to be paying for 43190; no change in sight with income o. No way to change job easily o. No side hussle o, everyone is always looking at you with some bombastic side eyes that you r succeeding or even making efforts to become a better version of your self, let me not start with the “sick” religion mindset that have turned many into “miracle” seekers instead of resourceful countrymen…even politicians that have made life look like you either “belong” to o their class or die, injustice everywhere even in small things of life. Omo, this country is heading downhill so so far and unnoticed to many because they have become used to abnormalities that have become order of the day.

Now, I would think the friend advices him on what he’d do to fare better when he arrives instead of putting them up as reasons he’d not come at all.

So op, learn some survival skills such driving of tractors(aka agri farm machine operation), barbing, joinery, etc. Give yourself a time to get good on any of these or others. Don’t let your age bother you, we disturb ourselves too much with age in this country and we are never better for it as it causes unnecessary pride with resultant effects such as penury and “suffering and smiling” because “my age people don’t do this and that”.

Please plan yourself and go out. Ensure your mindset is focus on “securing a life with basics of life, security and safety”. Don’t go with “get rich quick, I want to build houses in my village, people must know that I am in the abroad, what would my mate say/see in the next years to come”. Don’t put yourself under pressure that don’t translate to true value for your life, don’t live for others opinions, Stay focus on yourself and your immediate family for a starter. All the best ahead,

Offpointng:

Wish I can like this comment ah hundred times. It's really annoying how these folks hate to hear the truth. Like what are you actually going to do Abroad without a skill? what?? Even the better health care system, he won't enjoy cuz where's the money to enjoy it with a menial job?? he might enjoy the organised system but not fully cuz of racism and he's 8times more likely to be shot dead in that USA than he might in Nigeria.

It's pointless giving OP a go ahead if you don't want to be his assumed enemy

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Gidigrav(m): 9:19am On Oct 07, 2023
First don't let anyone discourage you. ...message me 08137314393 will give you options and ideas of how all this things work from dia is left to you to decide follow your dream if you wait till what other say you might not take a move.also pray about it ..i come in peace
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Basicend: 9:21am On Oct 07, 2023
adecz:

Some people only think of what you
earn abroad in direct comparison to what
you earn in Nigeria.

They don't understand that the cost of
an average accommodation in an average
American city may approach the equivalent
of N1.5 per month. By the time you factor
in your home electricity and gas bills, it
may add another N300k equivalent. You
never talk about food and transportation
cost yet❗️❗️❗️

It's easier if you have somebody who
is ready to accommodate you for a reasonable
period, before you settle down, but your
presence will also increase his own bills.

Nothing is free in obodo oyibo.

That what majority of those dudes don't know. . It's funny. . Look, in Canada now, rent alone is $1,200 per month. . Yes, I mean per month.

Not to talk of Wifi or telephone, insurance, TV and so on. .

The only good thing I can say (coz am in Nigeria now) to an intending immigrant from Nigeria is that foods will be available regardless of your status in those countries.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Kachidubem: 9:21am On Oct 07, 2023
Kobicove:
Just know that if you move abroad without any skill you will end up in a dead end job which can be very frustrating undecided
What is a dead end job in America, and how much is the pay ?

Is it above 180k naira op is currently earning.

Make una try dey rest...
Even my uncle dat moved years to US with visit visa(over stayed), no skills, nothing nothing.... don build two big houses , one in Owerri, one in Lagos

Anyone can make it in America if you determined.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Codes151(m): 9:22am On Oct 07, 2023
Because he knows you will be a burden on him.....

RENT, JOBS; its not magic o
GUY...lol OKAY o
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Offpointng: 9:23am On Oct 07, 2023
maestroferddi:
Oga stop spreading dangerous negativity...

Every human endeavour comes with a degree of risk.

Stop sounding as if you know what you are talking about...

What do you understand by skill?

More 80% of Nigerians who go abroad arrive there with zero skills if we are going to go with a strict interpretation of the term...

Keep your defeatist pessimism to yourself abeg...

So you need a special Education to know what a skill is? not my problem you don't got a valid Education as you should have
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by flokii: 9:24am On Oct 07, 2023
Let him go na.. as far as he is ready to sleep outside on the streets of NY when things get really tough for him.
Mum.u people.. had it been Americans fled their own country to go live in say Russia for example, will there be a developed America today for idlots from Africa to japa to?. Most of the Japa crew are some of the dumbest people you will find on the surface of the earth. Their own mentality is to "take" and "reap", not to "contribute" and "sow".

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by EdoBoy90(m): 9:26am On Oct 07, 2023
Indians don't discourage their fellow Indians.

Some Nigerians are wicked and demonic even in their western education acquired, they are evil and devilish.

Don't listen to anyone, pls Japa.

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by omojeesu(m): 9:29am On Oct 07, 2023
What comes after 6 is more than 7!

Millions can be made here in Nigeria FROM PASSIVE INCOME & REFERRAL COMMISSIONS!

Unfortunately too many don't know & don't want to know! The brainwash to work & work & work to death for money has trapped the majority of people!

It is the force / spirit / deception behind JAPA!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by standfit007: 9:30am On Oct 07, 2023
He is definitely aware of this and even more. Yes his rent would consume that money by 50%, say, but he would get true value such as (available) electricity,gas, clean air, clean agri produce(to a great extent), water, relative security while in his home(not riotous and disoriented fools easily marauding neighborhood or streets and no law enforcement would easily bring them to order), greatly comported drivers with regards for human life, govt can be questioned and you won’t be easily killed for asking questions on how resources/taxes are spent, and importantly a house built with standard materials and maintenance is assured compared to some shitty houses down here in Nigeria. All he needs is education on how to save/manage his expenses on gas, electricity, food and et all.

Note that I am not against your point, but I think we should be objective is sharing our thoughts with aim of laying all things bare for him to be guided

Goddeywithme:

You forgot to tell him how long it will take him to spend it. Cost of living is way higher. That money he earns in a day there will be spent easily. His monthly rent will become 50 percent of his monthly pay. Don't forget to tell him that

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 07, 2023
Honestly your friend is advising you based on his experience. The problem is not to Japa, the problem is to get something doing as soon as you arrive.

My advise is if you don't have a skill yet, don't attempt it because nobody will shoulder your responsibility for long. Try and get a skill and be good at it before you move.

The longer it takes you to get something doing, the more frustrated you become because of pressure from home. Get a skill before you leave.

Good luck
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by frozen70(f): 9:39am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:
THIS STORY IS ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND, HE SENT IT TO A WHATSAPP PLATFORM WE BELONG TO. I AM SEEKING ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE FOR HIM HERE PLEASE

My childhood friend is based in Texas, USA. He traveled out 12 years ago. Actually I work with government in Nigeria with a salary of 180k per month. It is becoming increasingly tough to take care of family responsibilities so early this year, I started making moves to relocate to US or Canada.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America. I didn't agree with these reasons even though he sounded genuine. I left him and started making other moves but eventually realized I still needed him.

8 months later, I spoke with him again, he repeated the same reasons why I shouldn't relocate. I am not 50 yet, I know a 56 year old man who relocated to Canada late last year and today his family members have started faring well here in Nigeria. Infact, his son who is presently rounding off his NYSC will be moving by march next year so what is the fuss about my age? I have made up my mind to stop seeking his support and carry my cross myself.

Thank you all.

If it's really hard there as he portrayed it, he would ha e been home since how many years he left

I think he doesn't want to come as he is not truly the friend you call him
. Best option is to find your way without his help

Then when you get there, don't bother informing him that you are there

He will see your relocation pictures on your WhatsApp status and face book

At times friends don't want their other friends to be where they are, for stupid reasons best known to them

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by doneyor(m): 9:41am On Oct 07, 2023
You won japa, you de go request for financial loan from same person you seek advice from? No be juju be that? What else were you expecting from him? To encourage you over and still give you the loan? You ain't ready bro.

wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.

6 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by MrBroke(m): 9:41am On Oct 07, 2023
RightToReject:
Each one's reality differs. So, don't allow all these bumpkins here to cause bad blood between you and your dear friend. He could have spoken and advised you based on his own reality, and even if his present reality changes for good tomorrow, it shouldn't make him a liar and your enemy in general.

Your best bet at this juncture should be to create your own path and encrypt it.

You've spoken well. This is how to advice somebody not this useless comment I have been reading trying to cause spite.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Willie2015: 9:41am On Oct 07, 2023
being:
Retire where? In Canada shocked? Back to Nigeria? You are the enemy without realising.. You want a man in his 40s(assumed) to goan start all over again in subzero weather. The man is without I.T, medical, or technical skills or big4 experience.. He would most likely have to do manual work at that age in very cold weather. He wouldn't have so much to save after bills, the culture is going to be shocking to him, he will experience systematic racism.. the only thing he will have better is better health care & more organised system.. but these are not worth the disadvantages!!!!

Stop discouraging folks...
As far he is willing to put in the hard work..
It is far better than Nigeria.
We cant even feed well in Naija of today...
Fuel is looking to N1000/litre
Exchange rate should reach N1500 by Dec...
To pay school fees is a hard task...
I have 2 relatives above 50 that relocated to UK
last month..Both got simple jobs within 2 weeks of landin
Where there is a will....there is a way...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by NoToPile: 9:42am On Oct 07, 2023
My take on this issue is Nigerians abroad should stop giving any form of advice from those here concerning japa matter.

You will always be termed a hater and enemy of progress, know this have have peace.

Finances.

The three things you said your friend listed seems right but he's a hater because he told you what he feels is the truth.

Instead of you to find a way to solidify the 2 you can change before moving you are calling him enemy of progress.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 9:43am On Oct 07, 2023
Goddeywithme:

Lies, big deep lies.

What happens to starting off with renting a single room circa $500-700?

There are so many ways to cut down on unnecessary spending so as to stay within range and save up good.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sulaak(m): 9:44am On Oct 07, 2023
Artiiclebeast:
You are calling a closet enemy a friend?

I pity you, bro.

He gets a hard-on from reading about and knowing that he's doing better than you economically and material-wise and all the respect and worship you've been according to him will become a thing of the past.

Most of them hate competition and always revel in the reality of being the ones at the center of all attention.

Even if you are 50 and able to move to the U.S., get serious, work legitimately for the next 5-7 years, and call it a wrap, you will have successfully settled your downlines and created a wonderful retirement plan for yourself with proper planning.

Move, if you can, and with the right plans and connect.

It is good to skill up, but if you ain't got it, you ain't got it and it isn't the beginning and end of life.

There are a ton of zero-skilled jobs where you can make the equivalent of what you currently earn in a month in Nigeria in just a single day..yeah, you heard me right, in a dayyyyy.

Nigerians are their own worst enemy; they seek advice and then attack the messenger.

The OPED of this thread requested advice and financial assistance, and he was given the advice he then went on to identify the success of a 56-year-old who is doing well in Canada with no evidence of that person's skills, experience and profession.

For every Nigerian success story in the West, there are 5 failures. I left Nigeria when I was very young after dropping out of the University of Ibadan to relocate to the UK, as a young with no dependence and responsibility, I could focus on developing my career, learning new skills and getting low-skill labour with the confidence that my career will progress and develop.

It's difficult to succeed in the West when you are middle-aged with responsibilities. You have no idea of your friend's financial status yet you are demanding financial aid from him. In future don't seek advice.

But the issues surrounding japa are quite enormous so I reached out to my friend to seek his advise, suggestions and possibly financial loan which I will pay back. He gave me some important reasons why I shouldn't migrate. He spoke about my age, no technical skill, finances, leaving known for unknown and difficulties faced by new comers in America.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by phemmyfour: 9:45am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.
It's a 50-50 thing. His advice might be based on his experience so far. You can move if you want to but be prepared for the good, bad and the ugly cos it's not always greener at the other side

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Xkale1996(m): 9:46am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.
my advice is
Make sure you have legit source before traveling and which work are you going to do der
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Xkale1996(m): 9:46am On Oct 07, 2023
wwwkaycom:

Thank you all.
move to Canada or Australia
Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by sulaak(m): 9:46am On Oct 07, 2023
Willie2015:

Stop discouraging folks...
As far he is willing to put in the hard work..
It is far better than Nigeria.
We cant even feed well in Naija of today...
Fuel is looking to N1000/litre
Exchange rate should reach N1500 by Dec...
To pay school fees is a hard task...
I have 2 relatives above 50 that relocated to UK
last month..Both got simple jobs within 2 weeks of landin
Where there is a will....there is a way...

Cleaning old white people ass is not simple jobs.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 9:46am On Oct 07, 2023
sweetgala:

Really all thesw care jobs being offered to idiots paying tens of thousands in the UK where have they gone !
There are no surplus care hours anymore they've all been taken up. The only place you'll find a care job with enough hours is in some backwater town where no one wants to go to.

You can dwell on talking about the UK. I do not rate the UK any way more than I do rate any other European country.

In this case specifically, I am referring to the U.S and can beat my chest wholeheartedly to speak on it.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by Artiiclebeast: 9:48am On Oct 07, 2023
drnoel:

Very stupid comment here

This is as far as your knowledge can take you.

If you don't know, you simply don't know and ignorance becomes bliss.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by na2016: 9:48am On Oct 07, 2023
OP: Japa, that guy is probably discouraging you because of the money that you intend to borrow from him. 180K/month in Nigeria can't do anything.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Japa, But My Friend Who Is Abroad Has Been Discouraging Me by fortunechy(m): 9:48am On Oct 07, 2023
Hence,ur mind is made up why seeking for advise again??
Well,if I must advise u don't listen to that ur friend again cuz he doesn't want u to relocate. Not first timers experience difficulty cuz Grace differs..

However, since u have the opportunity to jakpa please do cuz this country is bleeped.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Why Do Most Wealthy Nigerians Prefer To Live In Nigeria Than To Relocate Abroad? / Ekesons First Class Cabin In Road Buses Makes History / Mention The Funniest Bus-stops You've Ever Heard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.