Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,442 members, 7,830,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband (29161 Views)

No Prophet Married Only One Wife In The Bible - Olatosho Oshoffa / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? / "What My Mother's Pastor Said About Dangote That Made Me Walk Out Of Church" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by cedricksly: 7:45am On Oct 23, 2023
SIRTee15:

Polygamy was never God's original plan my friend.

It was permitted by God in man's fallen state and when his insatiable greed overwhelmed him. But God never intended polygamy for man.

If u want to know God's plan for man, either check the garden of Eden or the divine law brought by Jesus.
Show me which one of them sanctions polygamy.

Only God knows what they teach in church nowadays. So many ignorant Christians walking around blindly.

That Europeans sanction homosexualism doesn't change the fact it's a sin. I don't follow whites, I follow Jesus Christ.
God's original plan for man is not to die, I hope you also know that death upon man came as a result of man's fallen state? Yeah God made a man and woman in eden and so It is the fact that you people think you can reason out God's intention, or assume God's original plan is what is even making it more funny. Bro polygamy was never and would never be a sin, show me one place in the bible that says it was, polygamy was never God's Intended plan yet God gave so many people after his heart wives, some he even gave their masters wives in addition to the one they have already, some he gave their brother's wife to add to theirs, yet it wasn't in its initial plan for man. Why don't you explain that instead of assuming for God and helping God to reason.. Apostle Paul chose not to marry it was a choice of his, so also those who took just one wife is a choice for them. Talking about homosexuality you spoke about, the Bible Outrightly Condemned it in plain words, right from sodom and gomorrah when the men tried sleeping with an angel and refuse Lot virgin daughters, to when the children of Israel was together, homosexuality was spelt out in plain words and criminalised. So don't even go there, it is the west that choose to be blind to that part of the bible.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Dtruthspeaker: 8:06am On Oct 23, 2023
Bluezy13:

Nor did he frown upon it.

O He definitely did for that is the position the world always puts themselves in. So, He does not need to frown on each individual.

But His approval and the light (delight) is seen when a man lifts himself out of that multitude in doing those things which pleased Him which is clearly seen that David at the first did not walk in those ways as he himself had warned Solomon, who also did it until they both fell.

Same for the young rich man who kept The Commandments.

God's approval is seen in His happiness and excitement of the few people who walked rightly .

And having seen His approval and joy, therefore we know His more popular Silence means that men are not doing well at all.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by LordReed(m): 8:10am On Oct 23, 2023
Blackestjunior:
Marry as many you can take care of ...it's still better than commiting adultory

So women too should marry more than one husband to prevent adultery.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Otunbaloyeloye: 8:12am On Oct 23, 2023
Huuum!! Then why was it that the people in the Bible that God used married more than one wife and God never condemned them. These are what the so call "Oyinbo" brought for us including church marriage as Marriage instead of our traditional marriage. God does not condemn polygamy. Do as your power and pocket reach period.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by LordReed(m): 8:16am On Oct 23, 2023
MXrep:

They stayed one place for the forty years at Kadesh Barnea in the desert before continuing their journey

They stayed in 1 place for forty years and left no evidence.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Dtruthspeaker: 8:19am On Oct 23, 2023
ejimatic:
God allowed them at that time. By the time Jesus came one man one wife was mainted. Math i9 4-6 and it is non negotiable!

You people should fear God o! Where did you see God allow it?

Does the fact that you are not arrested for cheating in exams mean that cheating is allowed?

Fear God! His words are always eternal and herein is how God saved us by sending down Christ to come and Re-tell to us what things God hath Said before which men hath cast away wherewith the people of today and tomorrow would not know what things God has already Spoken, so that they perish not
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Dtruthspeaker: 8:20am On Oct 23, 2023
LordReed:

They stayed in 1 place for forty years and left no evidence.

When you travel to your village are the evidence of your travel still on the highway?
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Dtruthspeaker: 8:23am On Oct 23, 2023
Otunbaloyeloye:
Huuum!! Then why was it that the people in the Bible that God used married more than one wife and God never condemned them. These are what the so call "Oyinbo" brought for us including church marriage as Marriage instead of our traditional marriage. God does not condemn polygamy. Do as your power and pocket reach period.

Go check it. It was when they were alone or had one wife that God used them. NEVER WHEN THEY HAD 2 WIVES.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by ejimatic: 8:29am On Oct 23, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

You people should fear God o! Where did you see God allow it?

Does the fact that you are not arrested for cheating in exams mean that cheating is allowed?

Fear God! His words are always eternal and herein is how God saved us by sending down Christ to come and Re-tell to us what things God hath Said before which men hath cast away wherewith the people of today and tomorrow would not know what things God has already Spoken, so that they perish not

God gave Adam a wife. One man one wife!
Much later the patriarchs had many wives because God allowed them then When Jesus came he told the pharisees that One man one wife is God's Choice which must be maintained. The two, husband and wife, must be ONE FLESH
. Matthew 19:4-6

In the time of the Christian congregation a member should have One wife. Any overseer must have only One Wife too 1 Timo3: vrs 1-5
Any Man who has two or more wives today is doing what he likes .It is against what we have in the Bible

Your decision however on this matter is respected but what the Bible says is sacrosanct.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Dtruthspeaker: 8:29am On Oct 23, 2023
cedricksly:
... some he even gave their masters wives in addition to the one they have already, some he gave their brother's wife to add to theirs, yet it wasn't in its initial plan for man. .

Where did God give a person his brother's wife to add to theirs,?
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Mooreleak247: 8:38am On Oct 23, 2023
How do you know? Are you in God's eyes? Or did God discuss this with you at any point in time?
My own is all our eyes go clear when we die. Remember, the biggest gift God gave mankind is BRAIN. If you like use it, and if you like don't. We will all be alright las las.
ekitimanalways:

Polygamy is never sanctioned or approved in the Bible. While it is true that some Old Testament champions of the faith had multiple wives, it is never presented as acceptable in the eyes of God.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by mysticwarrior(m): 8:49am On Oct 23, 2023
ntyce:
Polygamy isn't a sin...

The white man who told you having multiple wives is wrong has no problem with a man sleeping with a man.

Some American/European churches have legalized homosexuality but consider polygamy a sin.
Which is worse, isn't that hypocrisy?
You are right.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by DonXavi(m): 9:01am On Oct 23, 2023
t
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by mysticwarrior(m): 9:15am On Oct 23, 2023
bigiyaro:
They did not migrates o, the went back to thier ancestral land in Israel.
How was the land cannine their ancestral land? Abraham heir ancestors came from Ur in mesopotamia which is in present day Iraq.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by LordReed(m): 9:35am On Oct 23, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

When you travel to your village are the evidence of your travel still on the highway?

I have never spent 40 years traveling to my village so there is no chance I would leave the kind of evidence people who have lived in the same place for 40 years would have.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Jackipapa: 9:52am On Oct 23, 2023
Exodus 24:10
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by SIRTee15: 11:59am On Oct 23, 2023
cedricksly:
God's original plan for man is not to die, I hope you also know that death upon man came as a result of man's fallen state? Yeah God made a man and woman in eden and so It is the fact that you people think you can reason out God's intention, or assume God's original plan is what is even making it more funny. Bro polygamy was never and would never be a sin, show me one place in the bible that says it was, polygamy was never God's Intended plan yet God gave so many people after his heart wives, some he even gave their masters wives in addition to the one they have already, some he gave their brother's wife to add to theirs, yet it wasn't in its initial plan for man. Why don't you explain that instead of assuming for God and helping God to reason.. Apostle Paul chose not to marry it was a choice of his, so also those who took just one wife is a choice for them. Talking about homosexuality you spoke about, the Bible Outrightly Condemned it in plain words, right from sodom and gomorrah when the men tried sleeping with an angel and refuse Lot virgin daughters, to when the children of Israel was together, homosexuality was spelt out in plain words and criminalised. So don't even go there, it is the west that choose to be blind to that part of the bible.

Who is this bebeto. Not only do u jump into irrational conclusion, u equally lack comprehension skills

Show me where I said polygamy is a sin. Show me.
Will God permit something that's a sin.
Polygamy wasn't God's original plan but he permitted it just like he allowed for divorce.
Christ came to return the former glory lost to mankind in garden of Eden with the establishment of divine laws.
Polygamy and divorce were not part of that divine law so it's gone with the old testament. The same way we don't offer animal sacrifice anymore.

U mentioned death as something that persist in the New covenant. I really don't know if u actually understand your bible but tell me what Jesus meant in the verses below

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

What does Christ mean when he said he gives eternal life?

I think u need to start attending your Sunday school and should take the studies more seriously if indeed u are a Christian.

And what are u on about homosexuality. Did I tell u I support or give excuse for it.
I don't need any lesson from u re homosexuality. My position is clear, read it again this time with understanding. It's simple English.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by SIRTee15: 12:53pm On Oct 23, 2023
sotall:

Mumu!
Before Christianity there was a system already in place.

Many of the stories in the bible have been written in other cultures/religions thousands of years before Christianity/bible came to copy them.

You sound daft to assume Christianity formed the foundation upon which our present system is based.

Go do some search and see that the bible is just a cooy-cat book written by some white folks to enslave your mind.
Stop coming online to disgrace yourself!

Hahaha...
Ignorant mind. One would even think someone like him would have done some research b4 coming online to form intelligent.
There was no western civilization prior to christianity. The western civilization was practically built around Christianity and the church.
Prior to that, the europeans were known as barbarians and cavemen who were routinely enslaved by the Romans. They didn't even have written language until they met the Romans. That's why all European language writing system is Latinised.

Read about bill of rights which form the basis of all human rights and civil freedom we enjoy today. The first one called magna carta was drafted by archbishop of Canterbury.
Even the age of enlightenment that ushered in independent thinking, intellectual reason, philosophical movement, separation of states and church was ushered by Christians who were tired of the extraordinary powers of the monarch and church.

Read my friend.

1 Like

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by sotall(m): 1:10pm On Oct 23, 2023
SIRTee15:

Hahaha...
Ignorant mind. One would even think someone like him would have done some research b4 coming online to form intelligent.
There was no western civilization prior to christianity. The western civilization was practically built around Christianity and the church.
Prior to that, the europeans were known as barbarians and cavemen who were routinely enslaved by the Romans. They didn't even have written language until they met the Romans. That's why all European language writing system is Latinised.

Read about bill of rights which form the basis of all human rights and civil freedom we enjoy today. The first one called magna carta was drafted by archbishop of Canterbury.
Even the age of enlightenment that ushered in independent thinking, intellectual reason, philosophical movement, separation of states and church was ushered by Christians who were tired of the extraordinary powers of the monarch and church.

Read my friend.

You can keep going round in circles and hallucinating in redundancy!

The veil of Christianity is fast fading and people are becoming aware Christianity was a creation to enslave the mind especially of black people.
Do whatever you like with this opinion but its a fact before your own very eyes that's if your indoctrinated brain will let you understand.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by SIRTee15: 1:58pm On Oct 23, 2023
sotall:

You can keep going round in circles and hallucinating in redundancy!

The veil of Christianity is fast fading and people are becoming aware Christianity was a creation to enslave the mind especially of black people.
Do whatever you like with this opinion but its a fact before your own very eyes that's if your indoctrinated brain will let you understand.

When u slap people with truth borne out of facts...what u get is emotional response based on 'trust me bro, I'm saying the truth'

Pls allow me to LOL

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by MiddleDimension: 2:26pm On Oct 23, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

You are just deceiving yourself. Clearly, Paul's statement shows that a man with one wife is preferable and more acceptable to God. Thus, anyone who wants to be close to God and and yet desires marriage, has seen a way.

Oh, I see, you are asking for biblical evidence to show that polygyny is NOT an anathema to Your Lord and God.

Well, I am happy to provide it, that's what I am competent at, it is what I do!

Speaking about Judah and Israel, the two kingdom, Your Lord and God, Jehovah or Jesus or Holy Ghost, said in Jeremiah 31 vs 31 and 32:

''Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:''

The word ''anathema means: ''something that is strongly disliked or disapproved of''
(Cambridge Dictionary, 2023): https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/anathema

Now, if Polygyny is an anathema to your God, I am talking about you, Dtruthspeaker; if it is something he strongly dislike or strongly disapprove of, then he would not say of himself in that scripture, that he is the husband of two wives''.

And in marriage, the man is the figure of God, while the woman is the figure of the church, or the individual christian! #TheMysteryOfChristianMarriage.

Facts are stubborn things and evidence is so powerful that it violently threatens ignorance and the darkness in the minds of those who lie that the Christian god is opposed to Polygyny.

At this point, I think you are wishing you coukd edit the bible.

So, answer this question: if polygyny is an abomination or an anathema to your God, why then did he describe himself as the husband of two women, Judah and Israel?

Don't ignore this question, have the gut to answer it. If you are sure you arw speaking the mind of your all wise and all knowing God, ask him to give you the wisdom to asnwer this question. Afterall, he told you that ''do not be worried about what to say when the time comes; for what to say will be given to you by the spirit'' Mark 13 vs 11.

It is that rare wisdom I really what to hear from you on this issue.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by sotall(m): 2:28pm On Oct 23, 2023
SIRTee15:

When u slap people with truth borne out of facts...what u get is emotional response based on 'trust me bro, I'm saying the truth'

Pls allow me to LOL

Truth borne out of facts from someone who still worships a bursted myth created by middle eastern religionists.

Even our own local religionists who worship Wood and metals are better than you.

1 Like

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by MiddleDimension: 2:42pm On Oct 23, 2023
SIRTee15:

Pls allow me to LOL

Like you became emotional when confronted with evidence that polygyny is not an anathema to your lord and God.

So, answer this question: if polygyny is an abomination or an anathema to your God, why then did he describe himself as the husband of two women, Judah and Israel?

Don't ignore this question, have the gut to answer it. If you are sure you arw speaking the mind of your all wise and all knowing God, ask him to give you the wisdom to asnwer this question. Afterall, he told you that ''do not be worried about what to say when the time comes; for what to say will be given to you by the spirit'' Mark 13 vs 11.

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by MiddleDimension: 3:27pm On Oct 23, 2023
SIRTee15:

Who is this bebeto. Not only do u jump into irrational conclusion, u equally lack comprehension skills

Show me where I said polygamy is a sin
So, you now agree it is not a sin? That's good! It shows our effort here is not a waste.

Will God permit something that's a sin.
God did not 'permit' polygyny, He blesses it and for him, it is on par with monogamy, stop the lies already!

Polygamy wasn't God's original plan but he permitted it just like he allowed for divorce.
There is no 'original' plan of God for marriage, and no, the holy marriage called polygamy is not and can not be likened to divorce in any sense It is sacrelageous to do so! You do not have any evidence on this!

Polygamy and divorce were not part of that divine law so it's gone with the old testament.

Blatant lie again! Show me anything from the bible, or the sacred tradition, if you are of the christian faith that believes in the sacred tradition, that proves this big-fat lie of yours! This is a challenge, and you can ask the holy spirit to give you the words to say it (afterall, he promised that at times like this when you are confronted, what you will say will be given by the spirit), words which when taken into consideration by a fair mind, will only lead him to your conclusion, and words which when responded to by the unfair mind, will, obviously, reveal itself (the response) to be unfair.

The same way we don't offer animal sacrifice anymore.

Animal sacrifice is not and cannot be likened to polygyny in anyway! You people should listen to the gutter that comes out of your mouth! And by the way, animal sacrifice is still acceptable to your God even today, especially when it is offered not for.the forgiveness of sins, but IN THANKSGIVING There is no 'spiritual' difference between animal sacrifice and the money you pay in church. You not offering animals in Christianity today, has absolutely nothing to do with your God accepting or not accepting it; It is just part of man's thinking that the killing of animals is not particularly the best practice and so, he the killing of animals to only when you want to consume them.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by tachia406: 4:19pm On Oct 23, 2023
I got you now Boss. Chop knuckles!
treatise:

I was satirical if you considered my follow-up question.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by SIRTee15: 5:03pm On Oct 23, 2023
MiddleDimension:

So, you now agree it is not a sin? That's good! It shows our effort here is not a waste.

God did not 'permit' polygyny, He blesses it and for him, it is on par with monogamy, stop the lies already!

There is no 'original' plan of God for marriage, and no, the holy marriage called polygamy is not and can not be likened to divorce in any sense It is sacrelageous to do so! You do not have any evidence on this!

Blatant lie again! Show me anything from the bible, or the sacred tradition, if you are of the christian faith that believes in the sacred tradition, that proves this big-fat lie of yours! This is a challenge, and you can ask the holy spirit to give you the words to say it (afterall, he promised that at times like this when you are confronted, what you will say will be given by the spirit), words which when taken into consideration by a fair mind, will only lead him to your conclusion, and words which when responded to by the unfair mind, will, obviously, reveal itself (the response) to be unfair.

Animal sacrifice is not and cannot be likened to polygyny in anyway! You people should listen to the gutter that comes out of your mouth! And by the way, animal sacrifice is still acceptable to your God even today, especially when it is offered not for.the forgiveness of sins, but IN THANKSGIVING There is no 'spiritual' difference between animal sacrifice and the money you pay in church. You not offering animals in Christianity today, has absolutely nothing to do with your God accepting or not accepting it; It is just part of man's thinking that the killing of animals is not particularly the best practice and so, he the killing of animals to only when you want to consume them.

Have u answered the question I asked u?
In case you have forgotten...who got married to Christ first, myself or the church?

Show me anywhere in my post where I wrote polygamy is a sin. Anywhere.
If u have comprehension issues, join your illiterate and confused folks to learn basic English comprehension.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by SIRTee15: 5:13pm On Oct 23, 2023
sotall:

Truth borne out of facts from someone who still worships a bursted myth created by middle eastern religionists.

Even our own local religionists who worship Wood and metals are better than you.

Ok so Christianity is no longer a white man's religion but now belongs to people of middle east.
Busted.
Pls allow me to LOL more.

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by SIRTee15: 5:17pm On Oct 23, 2023
MiddleDimension:

Oh, I see, you are asking for biblical evidence to show that polygyny is NOT an anathema to Your Lord and God.

Well, I am happy to provide it, that's what I am competent at, it is what I do!

Speaking about Judah and Israel, the two kingdom, Your Lord and God, Jehovah or Jesus or Holy Ghost, said in Jeremiah 31 vs 31 and 32:

''Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:''

The word ''anathema means: ''something that is strongly disliked or disapproved of''
(Cambridge Dictionary, 2023): https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/anathema

Now, if Polygyny is an anathema to your God, I am talking about you, Dtruthspeaker; if it is something he strongly dislike or strongly disapprove of, then he would not say of himself in that scripture, that he is the husband of two wives''.

And in marriage, the man is the figure of God, while the woman is the figure of the church, or the individual christian! #TheMysteryOfChristianMarriage.

Facts are stubborn things and evidence is so powerful that it violently threatens ignorance and the darkness in the minds of those who lie that the Christian god is opposed to Polygyny.

At this point, I think you are wishing you coukd edit the bible.

When God made his covenant with the Israelites, were they one nation or two nations.
When did they become 2 nations, before the covenant or after the covenant.
Your answer lies in your honest answer of above.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by treatise: 5:30pm On Oct 23, 2023
grin
tachia406:
I got you now Boss. Chop knuckles!
grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

How God Delivered Me From Self-service / Maureen Badejo To Pay Daniel Olukoya 6-figure Damages - Court Orders In London / Christian Women Show Off Amazing Dance Steps While Dancing To 'Overdose' Song

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.