Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband (29031 Views)

No Prophet Married Only One Wife In The Bible - Olatosho Oshoffa / Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? / "What My Mother's Pastor Said About Dangote That Made Me Walk Out Of Church" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by AntiChristian: 9:26am On Oct 22, 2023
Point 5

One flesh!

"ONE FLESH"
"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." Genesis 2:24, referenced in Matthew 19:5,6, Mark 10:8, 1 Corinthians 6:16, Ephesians 5:31

A man is "one flesh" with EACH woman with whom he copulates, whether in marriage (wife) or in fornication (harlot). When a married man, who is therefore already "one flesh" with his wife, copulates with another woman, that does not then negate his being "one flesh" with the wife. This is evident by the fact that 1 Corinthians 6:16 reveals that a man can be "one flesh" even with an harlot. As even a married man, therefore, can become "one flesh" with an harlot, that proves that a married man can indeed be "one flesh" with more than one woman, without negating his being "one flesh" with his wife. As that is so even with a married man with an harlot, it is thus just as equally true regarding a man being "one flesh" with more than one wife. For further proof, the very next verse provides the context of the plural-to-one aspect, i.e., 1 Corinthians 6:17: "But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit." As EACH Christian is joined as "one spirit" with the Lord, that then demonstrates the context of the plural-to-one aspect. Namely, as EACH Christian is joined as "one spirit" with the Lord, so too may EACH woman be joined as "one flesh" with one man. Lastly, when the Lord Jesus, in Matthew 19:5,6 and Mark 10:8, was re-quoting that original "one flesh" verse of Genesis 2:24, He was only dealing with the issue of divorce, saying, "What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder." (Matthew 19:6c-d.) That was opposing divorce of God-joined marriages, of what God Himself had joined together as "one flesh".

For context, it is exegetically important to note that the "one flesh" verse itself of Genesis 2:24, which the Lord Jesus was re-quoting, was written by Moses. And Moses married (was "one flesh" with) two wives: Zipporah (Exodus 2:16-21 and 18:1-6) and the Ethiopian woman (Numbers 12:1). The term, "one flesh", could not otherwise allegedly mean that a man could not be "one flesh" with more than one woman because three things did indeed happen. 1) Moses did marry two wives. 2) Moses did author such other verses as Exodus 21:10 and Deuteronomy 21:15. 3) Jesus Christ did not speak against Moses' being "one flesh" with two wives. Hence, the Scriptures reveal that Jesus and Moses knew what "one flesh" meant when Moses authored Genesis 2:24: a man may be "one flesh" with more than one woman.

From Biblical Polygamy
http://www.biblicalpolygamy.com/exegesis/one-flesh/
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Rilwayne001: 9:26am On Oct 22, 2023
Bluezy13:
Last time I checked, your Bible has it that David had more than 1 wife, Elkanah had 2 wives, Solomon had 700 wives.
Is your Bible confused or you are

There are too many contradictory positions in the Bible.

2 Likes

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by bluefilm: 9:26am On Oct 22, 2023
Mercisharelove:
The scripture comfirm one male and one female relationship!

Not one male, more females as wives, no, not so from the beginning. How do you know?

Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

The man is the specie, the male and female! The spirit being, the creature of ELOHIM, THE CREATOR!

A man isn't a boy, no, it's the combination of male and female.

2:24 Therefore shall *(a) not two or more)* man leave his, not their) father and his mother, not their mothers), and shall cleave unto his *(wife) not wives* : and they shall be *one flesh, not many flesh, but one.* Pure spiritual! Follow the truth!

His rib, his wife and they shall be one flesh. Now if you want to relate physically, I am talking about marriage, romantic relationship, living together.

So, stop hurting yourself, be free, pray you meet the man you can meet their needs.

You know the female is like God, like THE HOLY SPIRIT, she has and is built to display all the attributes of GOD ALMIGHTIEST, the help meet for him, the man is greatly help, the same way Isaac was comforted, when Rebekah arrived, that's what THE CREATOR , GOD ALMIGHTIEST SAID before unveiling the most beautiful of HIS creations, while Adam was deep asleep, yet Adam was aware, through revelation that she was taken from the bones of his bones and flesh of his flesh, he said "she shall be called a woman", because she was taken from a man that THE LORD HAD CREATED AND MADE!

Ladies fly...Proverbs 31:29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

Scriptures according to the White man's religion.

Don't forget that.

2 Likes

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by AntiChristian: 9:27am On Oct 22, 2023
Point 6

Prophecy

Here is another evidence for many wives against one man!

"And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying,
We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach." Isaiah 4:1

When will this be fulfilled among Christians? grin
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by PaulH07: 9:27am On Oct 22, 2023
jumper524:
people only tend to agree with the holy book when it favours them.

That's why someone once said: "Man created God- in his mind that is- to suit his narratives"

2 Likes

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Carlylepneuma: 9:28am On Oct 22, 2023
Yeah one man one woman, but u can have side chickens out there right? Fooling around ur dumb brains...
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by AfonjaConehead: 9:29am On Oct 22, 2023
One man one wife is God's model and template.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by wittywriter: 9:29am On Oct 22, 2023
Funny writeup...even as it doesn't edify in anyway...OP ill advice you to avoid such religious lines else it'll be summarily misconstrued...

Wittyness
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Bluezy13(m): 9:30am On Oct 22, 2023
Padipadi:

In Jewish old testament, many wives are allowed. In present day it's more logical to b one wife

I'm not concerned with which is logical.
My concern is the contradiction in the Bible and why he chose to emphasize on one part disregarding the other
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Awesome05: 9:30am On Oct 22, 2023
Why did God not condemn David and Solomon for marrying so many wives?
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 22, 2023
Imagining
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Bluezy13(m): 9:31am On Oct 22, 2023
CJStarz:

The Bible is not confused. They are the ones confusing themselves.
There's no place in the Bible where God or Jesus condemned polygamu. God isn't petty! The only people admonished to marry only one wife in the Bible,and that was by Apostle Paul, were pastors,so they could concentrate on the Work of God.

Even though I do not believe in the Bible, but your point is valid, Bible wise.

2 Likes

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by AntiChristian: 9:31am On Oct 22, 2023
Point 7

Yahweh supports polygamy!

It is often said that Yahweh/Jehovah/Jesus of the Christians prescribe one man for one woman so how come tens of Prophets/men of God had more than one wives and or concubines?

Cain's son Lamech and Moses had 2 wives. David had 8 wives! Solomon 300 wives and 700 concubines! Gideon had many wives!
Deuteronomy 21:1-17 suggest marriage of multiple wives including captured prisoners gotten from conquests.

Elkanah a godly man and father of Samuel had 2 wives. Abraham, the father of faith had two wives!

In 2 Samuel 12 when the prophet Nathan confronts David over his sin with Bathsheba, we read: "This is what the Lord God of Israel says: 'I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I have given you your master's house and your master's wives into your bosom … and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah, and as if this wasn't enough, I would have given you even more."

Is it that all of these men of God were not guided (by the Holy spirit) in their marriages?

And lastly Yahweh prescribed law to protect first wife in Polygamy- Exo 21:10 "If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights."

Why this law since Yahweh/Jehovah is against polygamy?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by jite006j: 9:32am On Oct 22, 2023
Why did God say go into the world and multiply yagayaga 😂😆
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Eyinju112(f): 9:32am On Oct 22, 2023
happney65:

They will say it's the old testament. As if they don't still read from the old testament and follow the teachings of the old testament.

Religious people no go kill me . grin

Then I want to ask are you a Christian or a Muslim?
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by TenQ: 9:34am On Oct 22, 2023
Danegun777:
cool

How did Adam populate your fantasy Isreal story garden of Eden to populate the world

Isreali Jews are very weird people

They claim to migrate from Egypt to Palestinian land for 40years , 365 * 40 = 14,600 days to travel 600 killometers, they moved like snail covering 1km per month , 33 meters in one day

It didn't cross your mind that they were not all on caravan or horses. There were thousands of women, children and ageds: this they have to camp for months in some localities to replenish and stock up for the next phase of the journey.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Quebec91(m): 9:36am On Oct 22, 2023
cheesy
Bluezy13:
Last time I checked, your Bible has it that David had more than 1 wife, Elkanah had 2 wives, Solomon had 700 wives.

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by InvertedHammer: 9:36am On Oct 22, 2023
Mercisharelove:

Not one male, more females as wives, no, not so from the beginning. How do you know?

Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

The man is the specie, the male and female! The spirit being, the creature of ELOHIM, THE CREATOR!

2:24 Therefore shall *(a) not two or more)* man leave his, not their) father and his mother, not their mothers), and shall cleave unto his *(wife) not wives* : and they shall be *one flesh, not many flesh, but one.* Pure spiritual! Follow the truth!

His rib, his wife and they shall be one flesh. Now if you want to relate physically, I am talking about marriage, romantic relationship, living together.

So, stop hurting yourself, be free, pray you meet the man you can meet their needs.

You know the female is like God, like THE HOLY SPIRIT, she has and is built to display all the attributes of GOD ALMIGHTIEST, the help meet for him, the man is greatly help, the same way Isaac was comforted, when Rebekah arrived, that's what THE CREATOR , GOD ALMIGHTIEST SAID before unveiling the most beautiful of HIS creations, while Adam was deep asleep, yet Adam was aware, through revelation that she was taken from the bones of his bones and flesh of his flesh, he said "she shall be called a woman", because she was taken from a man that THE LORD HAD CREATED AND MADE!

Ladies fly...Proverbs 31:29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.
/

The Bible is a book written by the Israelites for the Israelites telling their own stories. Either by indoctrination or programming, some of you have decided to cry more than the bereaved.

When King Henry wanted to divorced Catherine (hit menopause with no child) and marry Ann, Pope Clement VII refused to annul the marriage. He threatened to ex-communicate King Henry. The latter formed his own church Anglican and made himself the leader. A good portion of the Bible was redacted and life moved on.

Stop chaining yourself to the stories told by the Israelites about their God. Israelites themselves don't follow the Bible and don't pray to God to defend them or answer their calls. Most of you have used the Bible to breed eternal laziness.

/

2 Likes

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Danegun777: 9:37am On Oct 22, 2023
TenQ:

It didn't cross your mind that they were not all on caravan or horses. There were thousands of women, children and ageds: this they have to camp for months in some localities to replenish and stock up for the next phase of the journey.

Ok you are right... They moved at 33 meters per day.... Hallelujah

Mscheew!!!
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Deicide: 9:37am On Oct 22, 2023
Christian Laws differ from Jewish Law except when it comes to paying tithe grin
Bluezy13:

1 Like

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Bluezy13(m): 9:38am On Oct 22, 2023
Deicide:
Christian Laws differ from Jewish Law except when it comes to paying tithe grin

... because tithing keeps the business going.

1 Like

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Way4orward: 9:38am On Oct 22, 2023
Bible is not against a man marrying more than one wife.

Op stop deceiving yourself.

1 Like

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by cedricksly: 9:39am On Oct 22, 2023
Mercisharelove:

Rubbish, being supported with an half baked bible verses...... Polygamy was never identified as a sign in the bible, let he who can treat all wives equal go ahead.. It is Y'all modern western ideology that criminalised polygamy, yet you want to find a way to support it with the bible... It is funny the same west that frowns as polygamy are same people consenting and legalising same sex marriage... For perspective God delivered David's master to him and gave him all his wife as well. 2 Samuel 12:7-14. Let's leave it there for now, if u want proper debate come to inbox. All you have to do is discredit bible verses I will give u and I will discredit what you out forth. Just like Paul decided not to marry as a thing of choice and not as a standard, so also is monogamy a thing of choice and not a standard..
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by omooba969(m): 9:40am On Oct 22, 2023
Mercisharelove:

Your poorly constructed sentences makes your message so incoherent. You need some English class sessions.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by happney65: 9:40am On Oct 22, 2023
Eyinju112:

Then I want to ask are you a Christian or a Muslim?

Neither of the two. I DON'T DO RELIGION!

1 Like

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by SaLongs1(m): 9:40am On Oct 22, 2023
Danegun777:
cool

How did Adam populate your fantasy Isreal story garden of Eden to populate the world

Isreali Jews are very weird people, with their ridiculous tales of lies

They claim to migrate from Egypt to Palestinian land for 40years , 365 * 40 = 14,600 days to travel 600 killometers, they moved like snail covering 1km per month , 33 meters in one day

Not all that is in the bible has come from the Jews and I agree that all religion is a scam made for gullible folks.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by descartes400: 9:40am On Oct 22, 2023
PythonTutorials:
But why did God not condemn David for marrying so many wives 🤔

Which 'God' are you referring to? The god in the bible is a tribal god, an Israeli tribal god...and a blood thirsty one for that matter..HE is not the GOD entity as we know it.

the israeli thinks that the notion of GOD is patent to their race or they patently own GOD.

2 Likes

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Aybiochem: 9:42am On Oct 22, 2023
I still don't get why we believe what another person says font be comparative with science their is undeniable proof but who cares a wife is an headache let alone multiple wives

Do tf you like

2 Likes

Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by seguno2: 9:42am On Oct 22, 2023
PythonTutorials:
But why did God not condemn David for marrying so many wives 🤔

Not forgetting Solomon who was allowed to build His temple.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by SaLongs1(m): 9:42am On Oct 22, 2023
omooba969:

Your poorly constructed sentences makes your message so incoherent. You need some English class sessions.
grin grin The spirit did not even help the fellow to flow well.
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by Eyinju112(f): 9:43am On Oct 22, 2023
happney65:

Neither of the two. I DON'T DO RELIGION!

Then you should rest
Re: See What The Bible Said About One Wife And One Husband by seguno2: 9:44am On Oct 22, 2023
Danegun777:
cool

Isreali Jews are very weird people, with their ridiculous tales of lies

How is it that you and your ancestors didn’t work hard enough to make the fantasy story of your tribe’s creation, the dominant one in the world

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Similarities Between Pastors And MMM Top Guiders / Mrs Kumuyi's Last Moments -- By Aides / Happy 80th Birthday To Pastor E.A.. Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.