Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,209 members, 7,822,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed (30215 Views)

Age Is Just A Number - Reactions As 'Young' Couple Set To Wed In Benue (Photos) / Nigerians React To Young Couple's Pre-Wedding Photos / Nigerian Lady Set To Wed Her Polish Boyfriend: "God Sent This Man To My Life" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by IjebuWarrior: 3:43pm On Dec 02, 2023
ednut1:
have you seen the bride price list of some places in Nigeria You have to settle people in the villages many items. Court is the way to go. But there are alot of women who want the paparazzi wedding of which they will contribute nothing financially.

Somw places bawo? Na Igbo pple be dat. To them, everything na $$$. They give their daughters to the highest bidder!

A culture that lacks commonsense, decorum, morals etc... Cursed mofos! angry
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Princewill1(m): 3:45pm On Dec 02, 2023
Whatever you do as an African man, no involve Western Govt in your marriage. Your ancestors and forefathers no try am, e no go reach your turn, you come change the status quo.

Almost all the governmental institutions in African today are offshoot of Western culture.

No say you were not warned.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Stevosty: 3:46pm On Dec 02, 2023
Who won't do lavish wedding when there is money, but if you don't have, traditional wedding should be mininum, at least both families can get together, you and your lover should be able to plan in such a way to cut cost, if it is to reduce the number of invitees, court marriage you will do, the same court will still dissolve the marriage with no family members input.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by nnekaike(f): 3:52pm On Dec 02, 2023
Lovemeharder:
I also prefer a small marriage blessing or court wedding, cos after all the huge spending in doing one Big white wedding nobody will look you and your wife's face.
The last wedding I attended, I saw very few gifts that was presented to the couples and it was not encouraging at all.
People will come, eat and drink well, then go back to thier respective homes.
people hardly give gifts again at weddings especially if they sell Asoebi.

95% of gifts at my wedding was Glass cups grin

1 Like

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Hohaiiiode(m): 3:53pm On Dec 02, 2023
Samantha124:
So to hell with our African heritage, right?
you people will be hiding behind culture and heritage, when what you people are exhibiting is foolish pride and spending what you don’t have. Most nations and people have passed through a phase of hardship and poverty , but they were able to change their story because they accept the fact and make changes to most of their wasteful practices. But we as a people we just want to caress our pride and keep going wasteful. Culture and tradition kor !!!!
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Fountainofyouth(f): 4:02pm On Dec 02, 2023
Emma1Oj:
avoid this type mindset. They are the showoff and materialistic type that will drain you and still accuse you of not being a responsible man.

Just imagine are comments.

So doing a big wedding is showoff and being materialistic? Your insecurity and Inferiority complex reeks everywhere. Did anybody force you to do big wedding? You can do you small registry wedding thats your business, not everybody will conform to your silly mindset when it comes to wedding okay. You sit in your 2 by 2 thinking those that can afford big weddings will have poverty mindset like you

Rest.

1 Like

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Osanoghodua1: 4:02pm On Dec 02, 2023
White wedding is not biblical. We Africans we will conduct a court wedding, traditional wedding and a white wedding and still go for reception. Very wasteful spending to discourage marriages in Africa.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Fountainofyouth(f): 4:03pm On Dec 02, 2023
TrustNone:
just shut up please

You should fvck off.

1 Like

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by petrflynt(m): 4:03pm On Dec 02, 2023
Samantha124:
So to hell with our African heritage, right?

They bumshot wey you dey wear or the half naked dressing wey una dey dress na our African Heritage??
Why spend so much on things that has almost lost core value

1 Like

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by bonnyhope: 4:08pm On Dec 02, 2023
ednut1:
rest, court marriage is recognized by law and it’s cheap

This one no wan spend shi shi
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 4:11pm On Dec 02, 2023
Hohaiiiode:
you people will be hiding behind culture and heritage, when what you people are exhibiting is foolish pride and spending what you don’t have. Most nations and people have passed through a phase of hardship and poverty , but they were able to change their story because they accept the fact and make changes to most of their wasteful practices. But we as a people we just want to caress our pride and keep going wasteful. Culture and tradition kor !!!!

I know three girls which got married about 5 years ago all three of them are in so much debt one of them is now in 4.5 million naira for the wedding. The other two are we about 3.2 million naira and do prostitution in Canada to pay back the money which they borrowed for the wedding. Both of them in Canada and now HIV positive
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by DKM123: 4:16pm On Dec 02, 2023
Chingyyy878:
Weddings are so expensive nowadays. To young people that want to start their lives, go to court and have a small dinner with your close friends and family. You can do the party if you’d like years later.

Thanks!

Exactly! If you cannot afford a big wedding then do something small and then when the money comes, you can throw a lavish wedding during your anniversary if you like.

Warripikin did the "wedding" of her dreams this year, and it was the talk of the town, infact country even though she has been married for almost a decade.

It's unwise to borrow huge sums over a wedding that is gonna happen in a just one day. Moreso in this evul Tinubu era!
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by RonuThings(m): 4:17pm On Dec 02, 2023
😎

Ok!

Noted 🤔

Marry a Yoruba lady at your own peril 😏

2 Likes

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Popesuccess(m): 4:18pm On Dec 02, 2023
Chingyyy878:
Weddings are so expensive nowadays. To young people that want to start their lives, go to court and have a small dinner with your close friends and family. You can do the party if you’d like years later.

Thanks!
The parents of the bride should also take it easy. What is wrong in calling some few relatives, pay a little bride price and Bless them and let them go and start their lives.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by KingRoiz: 4:20pm On Dec 02, 2023
No wonder my uncle sat there and stared at me, then barked out at me with a palpable depth of pain... He instructed me unawares, "if she's just a student, leave her alone, if she has nothing doing to earn a consistent income, don't marry her, if she cannot support(help) you, don't marry her.

Na now e clear me for eye.

But wait o. Does this take away the expensive traditional wedding brouhaha? The way poor or inconsiderate parents and relatives find creative means to punish men who come to marry their daughters is not traditional at all. It's as if criminals hide behind the mask of tradition to rob.
Last I was in a wedding,I couldn't hide my disgust for how a group of youths so called came to disrupt the wedding of a couple simply because they were not given "youth money".. I was like wtf😒

Chingyyy878:

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by triplo3: 4:27pm On Dec 02, 2023
Chingyyy878:

Thanks!

Content thief! Give credit to the author FGs

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 02, 2023
I don't know about your culture, but in my culture our native attires for unmarried guys and ladies are revealing.

Even in some of you traditional Nigerian movies, you'd see young men and women wearing revealing clothes, for it's part of their culture.

Are you telling me that your ancestors weren't wearing revealing clothes before they got colonized?
petrflynt:

They bumshot wey you dey wear or the half naked dressing wey una dey dress na our African Heritage??
Why spend so much on things that has almost lost core value
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by AllDModsAreMaad: 4:27pm On Dec 02, 2023
One wey rey that told me she want a classic wedding during our talking stage early this year has been trying to get us back to talking, maybe I fit consider am again.

Me wey don drop the akoba of a person like a bad habit.

She even have the mind to say she knows her man can't fully fund her type of wedding, I asked her how much she has to support the wedding party, she no even get better money o.

The funny thing is none of the pictures or videos of her friends weddings wey she don post come close to being call a classic wedding according to her definition.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by loswhite(m): 4:29pm On Dec 02, 2023
Samantha124:
We are Africans and traditional wedding is part of who we are.
Traditional wedding doesn't need to expensive but of course the only reason most of you get married is to show off....lol
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by loswhite(m): 4:31pm On Dec 02, 2023
Samantha124:
It doesn't matter how I feel or think about it because they're not part of my culture and we need to learn to respect other people's cultures as long as they don't interfere with ours.

And besides, traditional wedding is a celebration which involves uniting two people who are in love.
Hypocrite tell us how you feel about it if it was your culture?
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 02, 2023
You using generalization about ladies says a lot about you.

I wouldn't mind a low-key traditional wedding with just 50 guests.
loswhite:
Traditional wedding doesn't need to expensive but of course the only reason most of you get married is to show off....lol
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Pootle: 4:38pm On Dec 02, 2023
na so me and my wife say small wedding before you know it crowd everywhere, canopy everywhere, food and drinks i know nothing about full the hood. na when i come outside i shock say weytin dey pa na me all dis ppl wey i no sabi come for
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 02, 2023
How am I a hypocrite?
loswhite:
Hypocrite tell us how you feel about it if it was your culture?
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by BigBashiru: 4:44pm On Dec 02, 2023
ednut1:
female gender mutilation is an heritage in many African societies. Child marriage too. Are you in support of , After-all its heritage

Oh ye colonially brainwashed soul....female mutilation also occurs in Europe....and child marriage too...western Europeans are savages....
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by ednut1(m): 5:07pm On Dec 02, 2023
bonnyhope:

This one no wan spend shi shi
israel dmw wey spend how market lol
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by udemzyudex(m): 5:08pm On Dec 02, 2023
Samantha124:

Tell the traditional people to reduce the price naa.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by vickydevoka(m): 5:13pm On Dec 02, 2023
Chingyyy878:

Thanks!
The problem is the lady not the guys. Omoni know some that spend over 2 million for both traditional and court plus bride list. She cancelled everything bcus the guy refused to do wedding. So don't blame the guys. Especially when a lady I a bit rich. She will be commanding you like you are not human, any small thing she will threaten you with ending the wedding.
Now, I realise that lady have to be lacking before she will be loyal, either financially or agr wise. If she's getting older she I'll behave as well, if she's ugle she will behave as well.
This gender sabi calculate like primary school children, nothing mature for their head o

1 Like

Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by newoffer: 5:13pm On Dec 02, 2023
Oh u chop people own from tata u come grow up come dey bring excuses. Anyhow u wan do am people go chop.
Samantha124:
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by ednut1(m): 5:18pm On Dec 02, 2023
IjebuWarrior:

Somw places bawo? Na Igbo pple be dat. To them, everything na $$$. They give their daughters to the highest bidder!

A culture that lacks commonsense, decorum, morals etc... Cursed mofos! angry
grow up
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by achimendy(m): 5:22pm On Dec 02, 2023
Samantha124:
It doesn't matter how I feel or think about it because they're not part of my culture and we need to learn to respect other people's cultures as long as they don't interfere with ours.

And besides, traditional wedding is a celebration which involves uniting two people who are in love.

I think we should learn to respect each other's culture, but I think his point is that for those that are not financially strong should simply go for a low-key court wedding, later when there's cash you can do your weddings.

Most traditional wedding in Nigeria are very expensive, you must be buoyant financially to do it.
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by patorial(m): 5:28pm On Dec 02, 2023
Why do people call civil marriage a court wedding?
Wetin concern court with the registry?
Re: Advice To Young People Who Want To Wed by Angelfrost(m): 5:28pm On Dec 02, 2023
Samantha124:
If in your tribe you guys hide behind culture to indulge in wastefulness and bankrupt suitors, then that's your problem... Not every tribe is like yours.

There was no call for such uncouthness... SMH.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Narrates How Her Ex Who Forced Her To Do PDA, Died / Virginity Is The Best Wedding Gift Any Man Would Receive, Says Nigerian Man / The Problem Of 'Babymamaism' I Saw Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.