Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,833 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence (23782 Views)

If Your Grandma Slaps Your Mum In Your Presence What Will You Do? / How Can One Stop A Loved One's Drug Addiction? / Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Bankowner: 3:25pm On Feb 18
"Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by disruptions in thought processes, perceptions, emotional responsiveness, and social interactions."

WombBreaker:
Imagine saying your brother's mentally ill

TF

Schizophrenia is not a mental illness please

Your brother's a state of paranoia that his mommy died

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by 01mcfadden(m): 3:26pm On Feb 18
wisefingers:

7th of December 2023 at about 10pm, few hours to the naming ceremony, a day I will never forget, 6days after she gave birth to our one and only child during our first year of marriage.

The trauma began when she started complaining of cramps in the morning, I called the doctor and we went to the hospital afterwards, they attended to her through the day and she was getting stable, we were waiting for her to finish the last drip and get discharged when all of a sudden she started gasping for breath and in the space of 30 seconds before the medical team could do anything she gave it up right before my eyes.

Till today as I type, the shock hasn't left me, coupled with the fact that I was living with Anxiety disorder before the incident. This has taken me in and out of mental health clinics since then. The baby is barely 3months old, all by myself, life feels empty and miserable.

I will forever live with your memories Eunice. I love you.

Condolences on the loss of your wife. May she rest in peace.
I see you talked about anxiety disorder. That’s the task at hand for me now. I’ve been battling it for the past three weeks. I just got placed on drugs yesterday. I’ve not taken drugs or injections since God knows when and I’m surprised it’s come to this now.
Please how did you overcome it then?
I’ve sent a request to send you a mail.

Please I need help.

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by WhoDeyThere(m): 3:29pm On Feb 18
Stay strong bro. I had similar experience, she died 27days after CS. I can relate to how you feel. Contact me if you don't mind, let's Rob minds together.
wisefingers:

7th of December 2023 at about 10pm, few hours to the naming ceremony, a day I will never forget, 6days after she gave birth to our one and only child during our first year of marriage.

The trauma began when she started complaining of cramps in the morning, I called the doctor and we went to the hospital afterwards, they attended to her through the day and she was getting stable, we were waiting for her to finish the last drip and get discharged when all of a sudden she started gasping for breath and in the space of 30 seconds before the medical team could do anything she gave it up right before my eyes.

Till today as I type, the shock hasn't left me, coupled with the fact that I was living with Anxiety disorder before the incident. This has taken me in and out of mental health clinics since then. The baby is barely 3months old, all by myself, life feels empty and miserable.

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 3:29pm On Feb 18
Badlimo:
I lost a friend to the cold hands of death January 1st 2021 12:27am just after shouting happy new year he just slumped and died right beside me… he was just 22 .. I wasn’t myself for months … keep resting in peace Wyclef 🕊🤍

He had no underlying ailments before slumping and dying at such young age? So sorry for your loss.
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Foxie: 3:35pm On Feb 18
wisefingers:

Reading this, my heart sank. Please accept my deepest condolences. I believe she's in a better place.

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by vazsily(m): 3:40pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:
It's over one year I lost my mother to stage 4 breast cancer, the breast cancer was not detected early,

- I remember that day very clearly like it was yesterday,
- It was on a Sunday morning, she was responsive their on her hospital bed, she was even smiling with the doctor attending to her,
- I was there, my younger brother was there, my older cousin was there, we were there by her side, the doctor attending to her left,
- Few minutes after the doctor left, mummy closed her eyes,
- We immediately rushed and called the doctors to the situation, the brought their machine for CPR, the machine couldn't detect her pulse/vitals,
- She was pronounced dead after several efforts.
- I couldn't believe I just saw mummy die before my eyes,
- My younger brother went nuts right there in the hospital, my older cousin shed tears, his eyes were red, I was too shocked, I just sat down beside her body and held her hand for over an hour, she was 52years old.
- This memory plays in my head each day.

- My younger brother was never himself After mummy's passing,
- He developed some kind of mental health issues, it was so bad for him,
- My younger brother became a complete shadow of himself, this is someone that is full of Life and energy when mummy was alive.
- Doctor said it was schizophrenia which was triggered due to the loss of a loved one as he was very close to her.

- With combined efforts, my younger brother slowly overcame the mental health issue,
- Each time I look at him, I'm so glad we rallied around for him, I am so glad I played my role and stood by him at that low point in his life, I'm filled with happiness each time I see him.

- Witnessing a loved one die in your presence is a scar for life, it can damage a person for Life.

You can share your experience if you wish, it is not an easy thing to talk about.

May her soul RIP
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by sweetTai(m): 3:40pm On Feb 18
😢😢😢😢@OP - please take heart and take care of yourself and your brother. My mom died in a similar way 10 years ago on February 24th 2014. My baby brother and my dad was with her. I was in Houston, Texas when they called me that mommy has passed on. My whole world stopped.

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Foxie: 3:43pm On Feb 18
highchief1:
my immediate elder sister I was chatting with on whstapp.sent her a message she didn’t reply again.in an interval of 20mins I was called by her husband before I could get to the hospital I met her lifeless.athsmatic attack.she was even cooking.since then nobody can tell me anything again.i know I have been damaged for life.no pastor or doctor can redeem me.i am ready to die now now now.death doesn’t scare me no more.i kinda feel the other side will be more interesting because most of the ppl I love most are there.
I can only imagine how you feel dear. Please give life a chance. If you feel you need someone to talk to, I will be giving you listening ears. Accept my deepest condolences.
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Emyzoloye5(m): 3:49pm On Feb 18
I was traumatized as a kid when my father died, I was just 8 years old ... The way he died mysteriously took something out of my soul ....it's 16 yrs already, i still dont feel shit when people die
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by sweetTai(m): 3:49pm On Feb 18
jojothaiv:
The day a man is born the same moment is old enough to die, there's nothing like too young to die.

I look back at 2020 with not so fond memories and I just act indifferently to the thought of dying and dealing with the loss of loved ones.

May 2020, my woman died courtesy of raged truck driver and the high flying Okada rider, didn't set my eyes on her remains till date.

August 2020, the last born of the family, my favorite sibling gave up the ghost when she was admitted to the hospital, in the doctor's word, 'the malaria must have eaten deep into her' She was a sweet soul and quite matured for her age but death don't share in my pity.

October 2020, death waved grand ma in and it was devastating because I couldn't bring myself down to Badagry to pay my last respect. Keep resting ma.

November 2022, can't forget big daddy death, he called me few days before my birthday telling me how he was so proud of the boy, little did I know that dead men sorry ghost actually tell tales and damn, his light forcefully switched off.

In between those events, I've learnt to let go of my sentiments about dying, I believed in the powers of praying but when it comes to death, I don't waste my time any longer, we can only try but the bell will toll for whoever is next, be less emotional when any news of loss is being shared and lastly, I've used the words 'It Is Well With My Soul' as a coping mechanism.

Some circumstances just make a man heart cold, you'd hear their stories and sob for them.

Wow!
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Negroid001(m): 3:50pm On Feb 18
Kobojunkie:
By any chance, was your mother religious? Was she a member of any church were she prayed regularly or prayer groups or the likes? undecided

You're so insensitive and immature.

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Warmaterial(m): 4:01pm On Feb 18
Dem no go understand until it happens, e dey pain no be here.
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by olidcapital275: 4:02pm On Feb 18
You are misleading people and stop being ignorant. You should consult with professionals in mental health or better still Google. Schizophrenia is a mental health issue. A major one.

That's a lie

I know a guy with schizophrenia that's doing well more than the average dude [/quote]
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 4:03pm On Feb 18
highchief1:
I can’t overcome this one na.she was the one taking care of my dad in the hospital a week before she died.my dad got discharged,we all went home.she died 5days after my dad was discharged.it was the news of her death that threw my dad into coma which eventually killed him.i was at the morgue twice in a week.father and daughter were kept side by side in the morgue.my sister was just 38.im done with life baba.

This one is really tough. Deepest condolences. It happened recently?
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by PJ123: 4:04pm On Feb 18
wisefingers:

So sorry my brother!!! God be with you and the baby in Jesus name till the very end!!!

3 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Clintifydan(m): 4:05pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:
It's over one year I lost my mother to stage 4 breast cancer, the breast cancer was not detected early,

- It was on a Sunday morning, she was responsive their on her hospital bed, she was even smiling with the doctor attending to her,
- I was there, my younger brother was there, my older cousin was there, we were there by her side, the doctor attending to her left,
- We immediately rushed and called the doctors to the situation, the brought their machine for CPR, the machine couldn't detect her pulse/vitals,
- My younger brother went nuts right there in the hospital, my older cousin shed tears, his eyes were red, I was too shocked, I just sat down beside her body and held her hand for over an hour, she was 52years old.

- My younger brother became a complete shadow of himself, this is someone that is full of Life and energy when mummy was alive.
- Doctor said it was schizophrenia which was triggered due to the loss of a loved one as he was very close to her.

- With combined efforts, my younger brother slowly overcame the mental health issue,
- Each time I look at him, I'm so glad we rallied around for him, I am so glad I played my role and stood by him at that low point in his life, I'm filled with happiness each time I see him.

- Witnessing a loved one die in your presence is a scar for life, it can damage a person for Life.

You can share your experience if you wish, it is not an easy thing to talk about.

I heard my dad say…. Son may we meet again😪that was his last words before he slept off forever.. I was just 13 years of age then.

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by CzarChris(m): 4:05pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:

I lost my Dad back in 2009, he died in my arms on our way to the hospital. I went deep into smoking and alcohol as a response to that traumatic experience.
Don't worry, it will get better with time.

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by KBARBIE(f): 4:06pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:

Wow, reading your story makes me emotional again as our story is almost the same, at the beginning I thought one of mine wrote this but I was the only sibling available at her death time.

She also had a stage 4 cancer has we detected late too.

- She also passed on, on a Sunday after she waited for her husband to arrive from church, she called his name last and gave up the ghost.

- What amazes me most is her strength not to break down in tears or self pity all through her trying days/months. All through her been carried up and down the hospital cos we couldn't get her a bed in lasu ( lasu was congested) . She was always smiling with us even till her dying day. I got strength from that.

- After being confirmed dead in the hospital (she was on my laps all through going to the hospital and back home) we never agreed to the fact that she was gone. We laid her in the parlour and started a prayer session for her come back hoping a MIRACLE will happen and she would come back to us just like the movies ( lol, crazy right? Yea you do crazy things for those you love). But she came to me in the night soothing my pains and assuring me she's fine.

- How sweet to talk about my Iya Calabar again. I love you momma to the ends of time.

8 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by PJ123: 4:07pm On Feb 18
jojothaiv:
The day a man is born the same moment is old enough to die, there's nothing like too young to die.

I look back at 2020 with not so fond memories and I just act indifferently to the thought of dying and dealing with the loss of loved ones.

May 2020, my woman died courtesy of raged truck driver and the high flying Okada rider, didn't set my eyes on her remains till date.

August 2020, the last born of the family, my favorite sibling gave up the ghost when she was admitted to the hospital, in the doctor's word, 'the malaria must have eaten deep into her' She was a sweet soul and quite matured for her age but death don't share in my pity.

October 2020, death waved grand ma in and it was devastating because I couldn't bring myself down to Badagry to pay my last respect. Keep resting ma.

November 2022, can't forget big daddy death, he called me few days before my birthday telling me how he was so proud of the boy, little did I know that dead men sorry ghost actually tell tales and damn, his light forcefully switched off.

In between those events, I've learnt to let go of my sentiments about dying, I believed in the powers of praying but when it comes to death, I don't waste my time any longer, we can only try but the bell will toll for whoever is next, be less emotional when any news of loss is being shared and lastly, I've used the words 'It Is Well With My Soul' as a coping mechanism.

Some circumstances just make a man heart cold, you'd hear their stories and sob for them.

So touching!!! God will continue to be with you sir in Jesus name!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Denko2721987(m): 4:10pm On Feb 18
Kobojunkie:
By any chance, was your mother religious? Was she a member of any church were she prayed regularly or prayer groups or the likes? undecided

What's the essence of this question??
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Badlimo(m): 4:19pm On Feb 18
MyVILLAGEpeople:

He had no underlying ailments before slumping and dying at such young age? So sorry for your loss.
Nothing he was hale and healthy, we went to the beach that night on our way back we decided to stop at shop rite that was where he slumped by the time we rushed him to the hospital it was DOA (we actually thought he fainted at first)
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 4:20pm On Feb 18
Badlimo:
Nothing he was hale and healthy, we went to the beach that night on our way back we decided to stop at shop rite that was where he slumped by the time we rushed him to the hospital it was DOA (we actually thought he fainted at first)

My deeper condolences. This life sha. We all gonna end up in the grave someday

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Fisiryorh(m): 4:22pm On Feb 18
Deep..

22nd of December, 2017...

A beloved cousin died in my arms....just 17 years old and he was SS tho...

R.I.P Koko-ette...

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by RosyIsBlessed: 4:22pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:

It's well with you
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by samcolee(m): 4:24pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:

Wow,.... this deep, even at his age, his passing has this kind of impact on you, imagine, if he had passed at a younger age,

There was a guy I knew that was always telling me to be strong when our mother passed each time we meet,
- two months later, one day me and him met and he was telling me that the time he was telling me to be strong and stay strong after our mother passed away, it was after he lost his father one month later that he realized what I was going through that period our mother passed.
- he told me that it is not easy for him to stay strong after loosing his father, he was asking me for tips on how to stay strong after such a loss.

People that have not experienced loosing a loved one can never ever relate to it.

Exactly, it's easy to comfort people but not easy to bear I appreciate friends who stood by me when I lost my father in 2011 and my mum in 2022 both to I'll health but one thing is sure the Bible has promised at Rev 21 :4 "And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

You can always console yourself with this promise anytime you lose your loved ones because God's promises are true and must come to pass

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Konquest: 4:28pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:

Just after 12 midnight, Dec 16, 2010... She passed on in my arms. She had a commanding presence.

I was shocked when the doctor who is a family friend said she had translated. I kept on telling him to check again... "Maybe she only just lost consciousness," but the doc said there was no pulse reading. What I feared most had happened... Then it hit hard. It took me slightly over two years to fully get over the shock.

I used to try not to be "too close" to my loved ones so that when the inevitable happens, I won't feel the very intense pain I felt. But then, time will tell.

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Emtol01: 4:32pm On Feb 18
Such experience is very pathetic.
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by wisefingers: 4:43pm On Feb 18
PJ123:

So sorry my brother!!! God be with you and the baby in Jesus name till the very end!!!

Amen....thanks so much for the words.

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by wisefingers: 4:44pm On Feb 18
Foxie:
Reading this, my heart sank. Please accept my deepest condolences. I believe she's in a better place.

Sure....I believe she is too, thanks so much I'm grateful.

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by wisefingers: 4:47pm On Feb 18
WhoDeyThere:
Stay strong bro. I had similar experience, she died 27days after CS. I can relate to how you feel. Contact me if you don't mind, let's Rob minds together.

Ok, thanks bro. Hers wasn't even CS she had a normal vaginal delivery and happened in a space of 8mins. No complications at all except for the cramps she started feeling on day 7. The whole thing still remains mysterious to me.

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by wisefingers: 4:48pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:

I feel your pain, you have no option than to be a solid Rock for your child.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, it means a lot to me.

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by blowjohn(m): 4:49pm On Feb 18
WombBreaker:
Imagine saying your brother's mentally ill

TF

Schizophrenia is not a mental illness please

Your brother's a state of paranoia that his mommy died

Stop twisting medical terms pls.

How can u say schizophrenia is not a mental illness.

Then u go ahead to define paranoia very wrongly.... Especially in the context of the OPs story.

Then

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Need Help! Its About Life And Death / The Two Boys Kidnapped By Their Nanny In Lagos Have Been Found / 2 Siblings Burnt To Death In Jesse Down In Delta Today(graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.