Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,299 members, 7,815,535 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence (23793 Views)

If Your Grandma Slaps Your Mum In Your Presence What Will You Do? / How Can One Stop A Loved One's Drug Addiction? / Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by ud4u: 1:45pm On Feb 18
Witnessing the dead of a loved one is very painful, my dad died in my house and it is one year now but I am yet to forget it

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by nuelson2016(m): 1:47pm On Feb 18
I lost my Mum just 4 days ago (Valentine's Day) right in my presence back home., also from a Terminal illness.

While she was about to give up, she called my Sis, who ran inside the house.,& her eyes shut.,my Sister shouted my name from the Kitchen, my dad came immediately, and my Elder bro too.

We changed gear in prayers., calling on God to do a Miracle, but it pleases him that she should go rest from the Pains, Spasms & Anguish she was going through!!

Taking her to the Hospital in a Taxi, we just kept chatting., not until the Dr (s) certified her dead & led us to the morgue, that the blow hit us badly.

We returned home still acting all cool, not until sympathisers started coming.,,then their wailing made my Sister to start wailing., & I could not help but join 😭😭😭😭

..,it's not been easy ever since without her.!!!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by adeadekf: 1:48pm On Feb 18
IkeGod9891:

Amen.

Hope you n ur kids re doing grt now?
Thanks! We are doing great!!

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by jaszplus12(m): 1:50pm On Feb 18
talk2hb1:
I can relate, when my Dad died in my hand in 2022, although I had the premonition 3days ahead.
I still can’t over him till today.
Mine died 24 years ago, I still feel like it was yesterday! I even dreamt about him recently!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by OnyeFely: 1:58pm On Feb 18
Watched my elder sister die in 2018 in my bed, she's 50. Breast cancer was the culprit.. My beautiful and loving sis, all she wanted days before her death was to go stay with our elderly mother in the village. Her 2 young twin daughters where there when she passed. I still cry over her

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Readinglamp: 1:58pm On Feb 18
Watched my dad die in September last year. He had COPD. The end was crazy. I begged God to take him. He kept sweating on his neck only till it turned red.

The death rattle, his negotiations with death, the breathlessness and constant need for oxygen, swift loss of speech, unconsciousness phase. We went through a lot as a family. Shit broke our hearts.

Rest in peace S.K. I'm still very hurt. The debit card thieves tried to hack you again o. They were successful this time. I was only able to stop it from getting worse a few minutes ago. I have forgiven the thief.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by highchief1: 2:03pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:
It's over one year I lost my mother to stage 4 breast cancer, the breast cancer was not detected early,

- I remember that day very clearly like it was yesterday,
- It was on a Sunday morning, she was responsive their on her hospital bed, she was even smiling with the doctor attending to her,
- I was there, my younger brother was there, my older cousin was there, we were there by her side, the doctor attending to her left,
- Few minutes after the doctor left, mummy closed her eyes,
- We immediately rushed and called the doctors to the situation, the brought their machine for CPR, the machine couldn't detect her pulse/vitals,
- She was pronounced dead after several efforts.
- I couldn't believe I just saw mummy die before my eyes,
- My younger brother went nuts right there in the hospital, my older cousin shed tears, his eyes were red, I was too shocked, I just sat down beside her body and held her hand for over an hour, she was 52years old.
- This memory plays in my head each day.

- My younger brother was never himself After mummy's passing,
- He developed some kind of mental health issues, it was so bad for him,
- My younger brother became a complete shadow of himself, this is someone that is full of Life and energy when mummy was alive.
- Doctor said it was schizophrenia which was triggered due to the loss of a loved one as he was very close to her.

- With combined efforts, my younger brother slowly overcame the mental health issue,
- Each time I look at him, I'm so glad we rallied around for him, I am so glad I played my role and stood by him at that low point in his life, I'm filled with happiness each time I see him.

- Witnessing a loved one die in your presence is a scar for life, it can damage a person for Life.

You can share your experience if you wish, it is not an easy thing to talk about.

my immediate elder sister I was chatting with on whstapp.sent her a message she didn’t reply again.in an interval of 20mins I was called by her husband before I could get to the hospital I met her lifeless.athsmatic attack.she was even cooking.since then nobody can tell me anything again.i know I have been damaged for life.no pastor or doctor can redeem me.i am ready to die now now now.death doesn’t scare me no more.i kinda feel the other side will be more interesting because most of the ppl I love most are there.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Lincton: 2:04pm On Feb 18
My mom died 10 days ago after we've been managing her for about three months. I'm yet to recover from her loss.

6 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Originalsly: 2:04pm On Feb 18
WombBreaker:

That's a lie

I know a guy with schizophrenia that's doing well more than the average dude

grin grin grin grin .... bro.... it's too early! .... calm down.... we not going to argue with you.... nor tell you there is something wrong with you mentally.

@ Op ... never just accept what one doctor diagnosed .... always go to another for at least a second opinion. I just hope your mother was not misdiagnosed.

@ topic .... came home from work one afternoon.... open the door ... my grandmother was sitting on the sofa ... greeted her ... she didn't answer... then realized she was just staring ... a blank stare ... greeted her again .... nothing.... realized she wasn't there... she was on her way to the other side ... went on my room ... cried.... slept off. Like 3 hours later... my mom knocked at the door... called my name .... before she said anything ... I said I know... she broke down and asked how I knew.

Death is final.... the end ... no more chances to forgive or ask for forgiveness... no more chances to fulfill promises or make right... we need to do what we need to before it's too late.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by pendragonbladgo(m): 2:05pm On Feb 18
I lost my Dad to Cancer also, but me... Till today I didn't even cry. It seems like you guys have not have a good understanding of life yet!

I mean you people still have your feelings tightly to life abi.

Lols... I was one of the person that moved my Dad's body up and down, nothing shake me, I was 26years old that time. I don't see death as anything. I am not even religious, do I even believe in a God at all?
May be I pretend to do so that people will not tag me...

8 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by saasala(m): 2:05pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:
It's over one year I lost my mother to stage 4 breast cancer, the breast cancer was not detected early,

- It was on a Sunday morning, she was responsive their on her hospital bed, she was even smiling with the doctor attending to her,
- I was there, my younger brother was there, my older cousin was there, we were there by her side, the doctor attending to her left,
- We immediately rushed and called the doctors to the situation, the brought their machine for CPR, the machine couldn't detect her pulse/vitals,
- My younger brother went nuts right there in the hospital, my older cousin shed tears, his eyes were red, I was too shocked, I just sat down beside her body and held her hand for over an hour, she was 52years old.

- My younger brother became a complete shadow of himself, this is someone that is full of Life and energy when mummy was alive.
- Doctor said it was schizophrenia which was triggered due to the loss of a loved one as he was very close to her.

- With combined efforts, my younger brother slowly overcame the mental health issue,
- Each time I look at him, I'm so glad we rallied around for him, I am so glad I played my role and stood by him at that low point in his life, I'm filled with happiness each time I see him.

- Witnessing a loved one die in your presence is a scar for life, it can damage a person for Life.

You can share your experience if you wish, it is not an easy thing to talk about.

My sister and her daughter watched my father die.

They both are still traumatized till date. Its not been easy for them at all.
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by MrHighSea: 2:07pm On Feb 18
Op, this is one emotional piece.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by highchief1: 2:08pm On Feb 18
Christian36:
You just remind me the day I lost my mum, it was 15th November 2018 on Friday 4:53pm. What hurt me most is that dead didn't allow her to eat the fruit of her labour. Since then, I lost interest in anything that have to do with going to church and praying, with all her pray and my family prayers yet dead still took her away from me and my siblings. I came to realize that some of the prayers we say won't change what has been destined to happen in our lives.
100…I just resumed church after the tragic death of both my sister and my dad in one week in year 2020.i just managed to resume church I stopped since.The only thg that has happened to me now is that I’m now fearless.

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Imnaknus: 2:08pm On Feb 18
Similar story to yours here, OP. So I know exactly what it is you're saying.

I lost mine to breast cancer as well. It also wasn't detected early. The night of July 19, 2022, saddest day of my life. Every day feels like it was yesterday. She was 54.

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by lebron7(m): 2:08pm On Feb 18
WombBreaker:
Imagine saying your brother's mentally ill

TF

Schizophrenia is not a mental illness please

Your brother's a state of paranoia that his mommy died

It's a dermatological illness abi
Smh

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by saasala(m): 2:11pm On Feb 18
Acidosis:

Everyone will die. We brought nothing and at the appointed time, we will leave with nothing.

The realisation of this fact will go a long way. The death of a loved one should only be a reminder that your time to die will come. No one can change this fact.

This is a fact. I cannot agree with you more

But it is sweet to say when you have never lost a loved one. Someone you love and so close to you.
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Imnaknus: 2:11pm On Feb 18
WombBreaker:
Imagine saying your brother's mentally ill

TF

Schizophrenia is not a mental illness please

Your brother's a state of paranoia that his mommy died

Paranoia you say?
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Joeuc1: 2:12pm On Feb 18
May her soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by psalmistkakah(m): 2:13pm On Feb 18
is almost 4 yrs i lost my daddy...the day he was to died i pass tru family house and i told my younger broda that i will becoming to see him the next day being on sunday since he is stable...i went to hang out with my friends. infact i was with my friends and i said if something happen with my dad it will not be funny. on sunday early morning my niece came to my house crying that daddy is not answering if dey call him...i rush the worst has happened...Dad is gone.....it shattered my dream, i became sick constant chest pains..is now that am getting better...is not funny losing a love one i started asking why dead now, create to come and die after all the stress in this world all effort turn zero one time, no more memory of ur family whether they are fine or not...who will stand for dem in time of trouble chaiiiiiiiiii...may b because is the first....men take heart...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 2:13pm On Feb 18
Kobojunkie:
Care to reveal which? undecided
you be wintch, what is your problem? Get out of here which kind question is this?

1 Like

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by pappilo(m): 2:13pm On Feb 18
My mom died at some point between Friday night and Saturday night. I was informed this morning.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by McStoic(m): 2:15pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:

Been there, done that. Coincidentally I am the last born too. And she died in my arms in the hospital on a Sunday afternoon too

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by faceland: 2:17pm On Feb 18
WombBreaker:

That's a lie

I know a guy with schizophrenia that's doing well more than the average dude

It's different stages bros.
There are functional once (often sucking on cigarettes) and they are totally insane once.

It is a bad illness. Reality is tampered. They see signs that are not really there, interpret things wrongly... You might greet one and may be sun reflected on your face so you twitch a bit, and the schizophrenic person would take it that you gave him a secret mission with your eyes and go off to fulfill it. They see connections that aren't there.

The trauma of seeing his mom go made him question reality & life.

Thank God he is coming back.

3 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by baconline(m): 2:17pm On Feb 18
The truth is U NEVER RECOVER FROM THE DEATH OF A LOVED ONE, I watched my dad gapsh for breath till he was no more,that was about 13 years ago, I remember that scene every single day, it keeps playing in my mind . Lost my mum 2 years ago ,I was not there so the effect is not as much as my dad. we are all wired so differently some overcome it faster and better, some never do

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 2:17pm On Feb 18
Ogiame:
Threads like this are not good for my mental health.
but you saw the headline, why did you open it?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by LARRYOBRAIN(m): 2:18pm On Feb 18
Yes, my immediate younger brother. I dreamt that he died, so after some days later, he complained of malaria, I told him not to take injection.
But not knowing he went to take the injection, around 9pm he started crying that is leg is paining him. I just finished my NYSC, no work, no money.
He cried throughout the night, we are not mobile; early in the morning we rushed him to the hospital, Isolo General Hospital; they treated him.
In the afternoon they discharged us and we went home; he was lying down on the bed. And I was watching TV, by the time my face went to him, he was taken his last breath.
I shouted and the whole neighborhood gathered.
I mourned him in my heart for 5 years before I let go.
The injection spoilt his leg. Whether he was given an expired injection or he was injected wrongly.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by seborrhic: 2:22pm On Feb 18
wisefingers:

7th of December 2023 at about 10pm, few hours to the naming ceremony, a day I will never forget, 6days after she gave birth to our one and only child during our first year of marriage.

The trauma began when she started complaining of cramps in the morning, I called the doctor and we went to the hospital afterwards, they attended to her through the day and she was getting stable, we were waiting for her to finish the last drip and get discharged when all of a sudden she started gasping for breath and in the space of 30 seconds before the medical team could do anything she gave it up right before my eyes.

Till today as I type, the shock hasn't left me, coupled with the fact that I was living with Anxiety disorder before the incident. This has taken me in and out of mental health clinics since then. The baby is barely 3months old, all by myself, life feels empty and miserable.

I will forever live with your memories Eunice. I love you.
Wao,this type can be traumatizing because you be asking yourself where do you start from?
How did you manage to cope with such deep emotional trauma?
P.S read that you have been having some mental health challenges,it's quite understandable.
Pray you have the fortitude and mental strength to overcome.

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by Imnaknus: 2:23pm On Feb 18
pappilo:
My mom died at some point between Friday night and Saturday night. I was informed this morning.
Jeez. Take heart, brother. May her soul rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by zoghys: 2:23pm On Feb 18
talk2hb1:
I can relate, when my Dad died in my hand in 2022, although I had the premonition 3days ahead.
I still can’t get over him till today.

Fellow member of fatherless children, may his soul rest in peace.
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by zoghys: 2:23pm On Feb 18
DaddyRochie1642:

May her soul rest in peace
Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by membranus: 2:25pm On Feb 18
pappilo:

Sorry Bro. The Almighty God will console you and your family.

6 Likes

Re: Witnessing A Loved One Die In Your Presence by talk2hb1(m): 2:26pm On Feb 18
zoghys:

Fellow member of fatherless children, may his soul rest in peace.
Amin Ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Name You Saved Your Mom's Phone Number With / Family Sacks Mother Of Eight-year-old Rape Victim For Seeking Justice / My Mom's Death Would Be A Relief To Me, She Hurt Me A Lot - South African Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.