Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,431 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? (13557 Views)

Obanikoro Takes A Break From Politics / Tribunal Sacks Vincent Bulus In Plateau, Bans Him From Politics For Life / PDP Leaders Who May Retire From Politics Following Buhari’s Emergence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by OAM4J: 3:29am On Nov 10, 2011
Jenifa_:

lol

Are you talking about d same Nigeria where parts of d country is ruled under sharia?
place where some of the same sentiments about gender roles is shared across the country?
speak loud and clear? stand up and fight?

well, if women had d power to do so, they would. but for now they don't. let's wait and see. As more and more join d work force and gain economic freedom, things most likely will start to change.

i'm not saying this is for good or bad. but at least in d direction you seem to want it to go.

You have a point about areas under sharia, but why haven't we seen many women participation in politics in areas not under sharia? And this forum is not under sharia laws, why don't we have many  ladies participating in political discussions here like they do with romance discussions?
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by coogar: 3:30am On Nov 10, 2011
dem_people:

Gone are the days we rocked this section. Unfortunately, it has been hijacked by too many touts masquerading as political discussants.

the touts i can stand! the tribalism undertone in the comments is what i find depressing.

before you know it, everything turns into igbo vs yoruba. yoruba vs niger-delta, hausa vs igbo, etc.
within minutes, ezeuche and his bakassi boys are there. ekt_bear and his opc posse are on the other divide and the debate becomes tedious until the mods clean up their arses all covered up in shyte or get them banned.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Desola(f): 3:32am On Nov 10, 2011
isale_ggan:

This is not about you, but I must highlight part of the inconsistencies in your numerous posts over these many months that led me to make the earlier statement.  

". . . Join the work force"?  You are using a western ideal to evaluate Nigerian culture.  Our women and mothers have always worked - or what do you think all those women traders are doing?  You need not be behind a desk or a civil servant to be "in the work force."  This is just one of hundreds of misleading statements you've made.  

Anyway, I'll leave it alone.  I'm sure discerning readers can see through it. You're not the absolute worst - there is an even worse [b]roundabout debater[/b] that stalks the politics section.  But of course, those are the ones who think their gas don't smell - one ROTLMA smiley and we're all supposed to marvel at their imaginary brilliance.  lol.

Carry on moderator.   wink

why do you lot make me so paranoid? You should put a name to these name calling jo.

. . .but isale gann, I like you though. I don't want you to unlike me because me, I respect your comments o. I like jenifa too, she is so clever. grin
I like to be the centre of attention.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Jenifa1: 3:57am On Nov 10, 2011
@isale_gan,
I live in the west so of course you can detect some of that in my posts and pattern of thought

by work force, i'm talking about the formal sector. not informal sector (the kind of trade u talk abt). I think there is a difference.

I will not respond much to the last part of your post. I am not really here to make friends or get on with people on personal level. Just here to respond to posts.
I'm a pretty self-aware person. even if i'm not intelligent, i'm very self-aware. so I do know most times what vibe other people are getting etc.
but like I said, i'm not here to make friends. so I don't see a need to please you or others.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Jenifa1: 3:58am On Nov 10, 2011
OAM4J:

You have a point about areas under sharia, but why haven't we seen many women participation in politics in areas not under sharia? And this forum is not under sharia laws, why don't we have many ladies participating in political discussions here like they do with romance discussions?

well, religion plays a role. whether islam or christianity. there are other factors beside.

there is more female participation in first world countries than third world countries.
what do u think is behind this?
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by isaleggan: 4:37am On Nov 10, 2011
Desola:

why do you lot make me so paranoid? You should put a name to these name calling jo.

. . .but isale gann, I like you though. I don't want you to unlike me because me, I respect your comments o. I like jenifa too, she is so clever. grin
I like to be the centre of attention.

I did not want to address personalities.  I just felt compelled to make the initial post; and I stand by everything I said in my posts.  I refrained from mentioning any more names because I didn't want to "attack" any more posters.  It detracts from the subject-matter.  We aim to discuss issues, not personalities, right?

Anyway, do we know each other?  Me, I am not paranoid, but I have been accused of similar traits. wink hmmm.  My 6th sense sha.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Jenifa1: 4:39am On Nov 10, 2011
"I promised women a 35 per cent slot in my cabinet and I fulfilled that vow, because it is my desire to ensure a level playing field in Nigeria by heading an administration where ethnicity, gender and religion do not hinder qualified persons from fulfilling their potential. It is also the reason I ordered the admission of women to the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) a first in Nigeria. Women should brace up to be all they want to be in life as this administration will be an enabler of your progress"

-Goodluck Jonathan

. . .Yet, the women in Jonathan's cabinet are more of the same: political appointees brought on to fill the quota.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/sep/9/330.html

-------------------

In Nigeria, the Lagos State House of Assembly in 2007 passed a law against indecent dressing. The press and the public condemned the massive arrest of girls and women by the police on the streets of Lagos over what was termed as indecent dressing which resulted in victims illegally detained, allegedly violated and their money extorted. The law was eventually scraped.

http://thelawyerschronicle.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55:indecent-dressing&catid=35:focus-on-the-law&Itemid=53

----

just so it doesn't sound like i'm making things up from thin air.
there really is an existing quota for females in politics. and this quota is set up by UNDP a UN arm.
and Nigerian  (lagos ,a state not under sharia) legislature did have a law that banned women from wearing certain clothing.
90 women were arrested for "indecent dressing" in one case. infact there is a topic on Nairaland about it.
so, isale-gan, my post and argument may have sounded bizarre to you but it really is based on concrete stuff on gender politics in nigeria.

ok i'm out.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by BootyOnMe: 5:00am On Nov 10, 2011
See them?
Trobu maker vanish go with im 20,000 monikers(moderator and all).
Thread don quench.
Shioooooooooooor!!!!

Wonders on NL.
Who is fooling who? cheesy
Moderator nshi! kiss
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Nobody: 5:16am On Nov 10, 2011
@Jenifa

I'm still surprised that you didnt realize you were "debating" with fstranger. You dey waste your time, tbh
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Nobody: 5:18am On Nov 10, 2011
@Those saying gone are the days.

What days? the 2006 days? Because those days that I remember, this section was filled with mekus and osisi and their tribal antics. Funny, it's coming from same set of ppl.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by ektbear: 7:27am On Nov 10, 2011
All the shots taken back and forth crack me the hell up grin

This is part of the reason I don't even watch TV anymore or play online games. . . NL politics section is far more amusing than either grin

Anyway, Jenifa, I'm not sure that the root causes you blame (sharia, formal workforce, etc) are good reasons. After all, even in the West, women participate less vigorously in political discussion than men, right? Go to any of these republican or democratic political sites, and you find mostly dudes.

I'm not sure what the reason is. Perhaps just fundamental gender differences? I don't know. Women also don't like violent sports as much as guys do (or sports, period.) Perhaps there is connection. . .
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:55am On Nov 10, 2011
Wen the likes of Dr Ngozi Okonjo Iweala are discourage from becoming President of Nigeria on the grounds dat they are women, wat do u expect?  cry
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Johndoe100(m): 8:13am On Nov 10, 2011
I thought everyone knows that the women who post on the politics section do so cos they can't get laid. Most havie not been laid for years, people like kobo can't remember what it's for. They only exception is Ileke, - idi, I wonder why she posts her? All the other women on the forum are afraid to end up like these ones, so they keep away in case it's contagious.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Nobody: 8:24am On Nov 10, 2011
Johndoe100:

I thought everyone knows that the women who post on the politics section do so cos they can't get laid. [size=18pt]Most havie not been laid for years, people like kobo can't remember what it's for. They only exception is Ileke, - idi, I wonder why she posts her?[/size] All the other women on the forum are afraid to end up like these ones, so they keep away in case it's contagious.

To get laid like the rest of the women who posts here. grin
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Demdem(m): 8:42am On Nov 10, 2011
na wa ooo. its pretty tough being a moderator. despite the arrows sent to him by accursed he still felt it wise to ignore him. i for one cant do that oooooo, would have sent him to his mother's mother.

@ Poster.
Abegii, the fewer the ladies the better.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by publisher(m): 9:06am On Nov 10, 2011
@op: ask sarah jubril
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 10, 2011
women are not encouraged, Nigeria politics is too complicated for women
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by BootyOnMe: 9:10am On Nov 10, 2011
Let us start with you.(Hey you! The coward talking to the wall) grin
You nor be 'accursed'? Olodo wey nor fit make direct statements.
Make I borrow your 'cowardly' garment for 'goodluck' huh? wink
Abi you nor get mamma for your bedroom too?
Shioooor.

Ladies show up jare anywhere. . . including the 'dummy' agbero-joint of a political section. . . . and whoop the arzzes of these re-tarded, faceless, awon we-we/dem-dem cyber cowardly, goons and nonentities, masquerading as men with shrivilled blokoses full of cobwebs!
They can't do shyte but ban!
Not everyone is a coward like you and your ancestors. . . if we wanno curse ya skanky arzzzes out. . .we do just that. Your moderator post or SUPA MOD high-five gang of dunces ends here. . . ON NAIRALAND. Mwaaaaaaah! kiss

If you are cursed out. . .there is every chance you deserve it!
Soooooooooooooo, do ya phocking worst! Mwaaaaaaaaah!!!!
Na una dey find husband/wife/pickin/penpal/soulmate/sweetheart/sha-g-rag doll for NL not me!
Shiooooooooor!!! cool
Who born them? cool

Back to my sweeeeeeet blog jare. cool
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by ektbear: 9:26am On Nov 10, 2011
Regarding "Nigeria politics is too complicated for women", what do you mean by that?
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Demdem(m): 9:27am On Nov 10, 2011
@booty asshoole
Will advise u to shut the Bleep off especially if u don't what is going on. Don't meddle into things u can't easily fathom. Accursed knows himself and except u are another log in of his I don't see how this concerns u.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by BootyOnMe: 9:29am On Nov 10, 2011
Demdem:

@booty asshoole
Will advise u to shut the bleep off especially if u don't what is going on. Don't meddle into things u can't easily fathom. Accursed knows himself and except u are another log in of his I don't see how this concerns u.

Thank you for being direct at least.
This is page 3.
Have you been snoring as usual?
Good morring. . . darling dunce! kiss

Moderator spokes person. Alakori! kiss

Ode buruku! grin See as you dey smell like 'assehole' kpa kpa!
Malu shyte! kiss
Abeg carry ya funky breath comot for road jare. . . it smells through your posts!
You need both dental and 'peri' care!
Stinking buttocks! Go back to your 'nursing' home abeg! kiss
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Demdem(m): 9:49am On Nov 10, 2011
grin grin
Not move. Try harder. U Av not gotten there yet. By the way, I chose my enemies. U are just a clown.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Gbenge77(m): 11:14am On Nov 10, 2011
Its just not their thing.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by BlackBaron: 11:17am On Nov 10, 2011
Interesting thread.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Odunnu: 11:45am On Nov 10, 2011
Choi!!! I'm sorry i'm late. Is the party over?
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by BoOOosHBoy: 12:50pm On Nov 10, 2011
Its not over oo
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by damilola15: 12:51pm On Nov 10, 2011
From another angle, "Why do men treat condescendingly, women's opinion when it comes to politics?"
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by Odunnu: 1:14pm On Nov 10, 2011
BoOOosHBoy:

Its not over oo
ID yourself sharparly sharparly.
Are you a foe or friend?
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by yme1(f): 1:45pm On Nov 10, 2011
Because the politic section is a WAR ZONE hence I deviate from it coupled with the fact that I'm not much of a political person
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by manny4life(m): 2:21pm On Nov 10, 2011
y me:

Because the politic section is a WAR ZONE hence I deviate from it coupled with the fact that I'm not much of a political person

TRUE, The politic section is a SERIOUS WAR ZONE, at times I just get on to make a comment but seriously get discouraged after hearing statements from most people. I think women are more calm when it comes to politics and not everyone has the headache; like someone said, politics is NOT being discussed here, what I see is constant bickering and internet yelling and shouting. On a few occasions, I've been caught up in the midst of the shenanigans, but on the most part, I try to avoid all the rubbish.
Re: Why Do Ladies Shy Away From Politics & Political Discussions? by OAM4J: 2:24pm On Nov 10, 2011
damilola15:

From another angle, "Why do men treat condescendingly, women's opinion when it comes to politics?"

Do guys really do that? I think majority of them are more tolerant to ladies POV than they do to other guys.

y me:

In other words, you and many females like you are not tough enough to withstand the heat?  undecided

Odunnu:

ID yourself sharparly sharparly.
Are you a foe or friend?

Dont tell me you cant identify her logo, she is the one and only Militia aka Almondjoy aka Blazay who will soon become my girlfriend cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Lawmakers & Dalung Visit Dream Team In Brazil / For Receiving N5m From SAN, Rita Ofili-Ajumogobia, In Trouble / Group Debunks Tinubu 2019 Presidential Ambition Declaration On October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.