Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,209 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? (11445 Views)

Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! / We The Ikwerre Are Igbos By Ikechukwu A. Ogu(interesting Write Up) / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Chyz2: 9:00pm On Nov 16, 2011
tpia@:

True that.

oluku. Next thing u go complain when we mention your people or enter your threads. Anyway, I will try to make sure im the first one of us to enter. smiley
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 9:02pm On Nov 16, 2011
Abagworo:

nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-27608.0.html

nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-374332.0.html

I did not want to respond to this question but my
conscience could not allow me. This is because if i
dont do alot of people will be decieved. Firstly, all
fingers are not equal, secondly Ebonyi state is the
youngest state in the south-east. Thirdly Ebonyians
made up of old Enugu(Abakaliki zone) and Old Abia
(Afikpo zone) are victims of marginalization in their
old states. This is the main aim of the agitation of
state creation, government impacts were not felt in
the old Abakaliki zone. Their entitlements were taken
by their oppressors, this made them stagnant in
terms of material and human development. It is on
record that a lot of people claiming Ebonyi state
indigene are not from Ebonyi state, a lot of
schlolarship opportunities were traded to the highest
bidders. Their job chances were sold, given to other
people because nobody was speaking for them. If you
check through our security services, you will
understand what i mean.
Lastly ONYE-NGBU let me remind you that it was
what your fathers and grand fathers did to Ebonyi
Indigenes that made them lag behind but i have one
promise for you. With what is obtainable in Ebonyi
and Anambra States presently, Anambra cannot see
the brakelight of Ebonyi state in the next ten to
fifteen years both in term of material and human
development. Thank God, there was somebody in the
name of SANI ABACHA that liberated the Ebonyians
from the claws of evil men who were tormenting
them. Rest in peace ABACHA

i remember reading this comment in politics sometime ago but you know what ebonyi is still not pulling its weight now that it is on its own.who is stopping ebonyi from developing now?the truth is that these things are not clear cut as poeple might want to project it or did you not read about the protests in ebonyi recenlty because of little on developmental projects going on there?who is stopping them now?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 9:12pm On Nov 16, 2011
With what is obtainable in Ebonyi
development

the bolded is for the joke section really with the governments presently in the two states.

also we should engage in this argurement without bringing states into the equation because those state are artificial settings that can be dismantled anytime
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by jason123: 9:15pm On Nov 16, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

My fellow Igbos, I want to use this medium to ask you guys to stop bringing yoruba people into our discusions. Do you think they care abt your unity ? Isnt this the same people who make mockery of how innocent Igbo women and children were masacrered in the war! The only thing they care about is your BEAUTIFUL women,thats only when they kiss your Bottom! Do not allude them dignity by using them to make examples. It gives them great joy that Igbos mentioned them. But you guys will not listen,until they start insulting us. I have never in my life seen yoruba people as  important. I have lots of them as friends and they know we Igbos are more mannered and inteligent than most of them.  Leave these lots alone and stop discusing them. Left for me alone, I will device means to overpower them economically and bring them to their knees. Igbos learn,learn and learn !!!!

If a man digs a pit, he will fall into it; if a man rolls a stone, it will roll back on him. Proverbs 26:27
He who digs a pit will fall into it, and a serpent will bite him who breaks through a wall. Ecclesiastes 10:8
He makes a pit, digging it out, and falls into the hole that he has made. Psalm 7:15

All I'll say is; the moment you start something you can't finish, there will be a high probability that you'll regret it. Good luck!
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Abagworo(m): 9:23pm On Nov 16, 2011
asha 80:

i remember reading this comment in politics sometime ago but you know what ebonyi is still not pulling its weight now that it is on its own.who is stopping ebonyi from developing now?the truth is that these things are not clear cut as poeple might want to project it or did you not read about the protests in ebonyi recenlty because of little on developmental projects going on there?who is stopping them now?

You seem not to understand the reason for my post.I just quoted an Ebonyi Nairalander.If you go through that thread you will notice a sense of distinctness on the part of Ebonyi and Anambra.For example an Ebonyi man could never have been a Governor when they were part of Anambra but an Ebonyi man was the 1st governor of Abia.That shows a sense of oneness between Ebonyi and Abia which they do not share with Anambra.They do not see Imo or Abia as oppressors.

This was exactly the same with Ikwerre in Rivers until they felt liberated with the war opportunity.

Why I am worried about this is because I often encounter Igbos making derogatory statement of other Igbos and feeling cool with it.I have been with them swearing that an Igbo from another State will never be a President, instead there will never be Igbo President. I'm not talking about Nairaland but real life issues.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 16, 2011
Abagworo:

nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-27608.0.html

nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-374332.0.html

I did not want to respond to this question but my
conscience could not allow me. This is because if i
dont do alot of people will be decieved. Firstly, all
fingers are not equal, secondly Ebonyi state is the
youngest state in the south-east. Thirdly Ebonyians
made up of old Enugu(Abakaliki zone) and Old Abia
(Afikpo zone) are victims of marginalization in their
old states. This is the main aim of the agitation of
state creation, government impacts were not felt in
the old Abakaliki zone. Their entitlements were taken
by their oppressors, this made them stagnant in
terms of material and human development. It is on
record that a lot of people claiming Ebonyi state
indigene are not from Ebonyi state, a lot of
schlolarship opportunities were traded to the highest
bidders. Their job chances were sold, given to other
people because nobody was speaking for them. If you
check through our security services, you will
understand what i mean.
Lastly ONYE-NGBU let me remind you that it was
what your fathers and grand fathers did to Ebonyi
Indigenes that made them lag behind but i have one
promise for you. With what is obtainable in Ebonyi
development. Thank God, there was somebody in the
name of SANI ABACHA that liberated the Ebonyians
from the claws of evil men who were tormenting
them. Rest in peace ABACHA

Do we have any Igbo here from Ebonyi state? I haven't come across one on NL. I really appreciate your concern for them, but I think they need to elect more productive governors in the future if they hope to move along with the rest of the SE states. They've had a hardluck of lame governors in the past dispensations.

But who are these oppressors in their new state? Are they also Ebonyians? Who are the dominant clans in the state?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 9:32pm On Nov 16, 2011
Abagworo:

You seem not to understand the reason for my post.I just quoted an Ebonyi Nairalander.If you go through that thread you will notice a sense of distinctness on the part of Ebonyi and Anambra.For example an Ebonyi man could never have been a Governor when they were part of Anambra but an Ebonyi man was the 1st governor of Abia.That shows a sense of oneness between Ebonyi and Abia which they do not share with Anambra.They do not see Imo or Abia as oppressors.

This was exactly the same with Ikwerre in Rivers until they felt liberated with the war opportunity.

Why I am worried about this is because I often encounter Igbos making derogatory statement of other Igbos and feeling cool with it.I have been with them swearing that an Igbo from another State will never be a President, instead there will never be Igbo President. I'm not talking about Nairaland but real life issues.

LOL, if you think it is particular to Igbos then you must be joking.

I am yet to see any group in Nigeria that does not exhibit those trace.

Abagworo, I think it is something you cannot take away, Rather instead of talking to your friends about Igbos presidency and the state it should come from. I think you and others be it Imolites, Abia etc should all just give the other the ego right they want.

the polls would speak for themselves, isn't it ?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 9:35pm On Nov 16, 2011
Abagworo:

at the first bolded quite frankly i do not see any oneness between ebonyi and abia.i wonder what chinenye will have to to that.at that time ogbannya onu was probably the strongest politician in the abia of then so it was not a suprise that he became governor then.

for the second bolded and from the way your argurement has been going i can easily guess that the people you are talking about are from anambra state.the funny thing about the whole thing is what if Orinmili state comes to fruition will there be not a sense of dinstictness btw the newly formed orinmili state and people that remain in anambra state or whatever name it chooses to call itself?

not doubting you though because i have seen some cretins that make such statements.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ak47mann(m): 9:36pm On Nov 16, 2011
mbatuku2:

Do we have any Igbo here from Ebonyi state? I haven't come across one on NL. I really appreciate your concern for them, but I think[b] they need to elect more productive governors in the future if they hope to move along with the rest of the SE states.[/b] They've had a hardluck of lame governors in the past dispensations.

But who are these oppressors in their new state? Are they also Ebonyians? Who are the dominant clans in the state?
i don't no why some people are economically lazy in mind  cool cool
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 9:38pm On Nov 16, 2011
alj_harem:

LOL, if you think it is particular to Igbos then you must be joking.

I am yet to see any group in Nigeria that does not exhibit those trace.

Abagworo, I think it is something you cannot take away, Rather instead of talking to your friends about Igbos presidency and the state it should come from. I think you and others be it Imolites, Abia etc should all just give the other the ego right they want.

the polls would speak for themselves, isn't it ?

i do not even believe in that states as presently constituted.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Abagworo(m): 10:10pm On Nov 16, 2011
asha 80:

at the first bolded quite frankly i do not see any oneness between ebonyi and abia.i wonder what chinenye will have to to that.at that time ogbannya onu was probably the strongest politician in the abia of then so it was not a suprise that he became governor then.

for the second bolded and from the way your argurement has been going i can easily guess that the people you are talking about are from anambra state.the funny thing about the whole thing is what if Orinmili state comes to fruition will there be not a sense of dinstictness btw the newly formed orinmili state and people that remain in anambra state or whatever name it chooses to call itself?

not doubting you though because i have seen some cretins that make such statements.

There is oneness. The Edda, Onicha, Okposi, Ohaozara, Afikpo and Southern Ebonyi speak similar Igbo with Ohafia,Abiriba,Alayi. They all greet Ka or Jokwa.They believe they have ancient ties.

The Southern part of Abia which comprise Ngwa,Asa and Ndoki also have their own sense of oneness but still with suspect because of the overwhelming population of the Ngwa.

On the Orinmili issue.The Orinmili people already have a sense of being distinct.If you visit Anambra, you will notice that Onitsha and Ogbaru seem not to be in the State.Even the land disputes within conurbations like Nkpor and Onitsha and Obosi shows they are not the same people.In Aba which cuts across 5 local governments, one cannot hear say Osisioma people saying that they are not part of the Aba city but in Anambra you can never label a house in Nkpor or Obosi as Onitsha.

I am not even in support of creating clan based States like Orinmili.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by tpia5: 10:11pm On Nov 16, 2011
Chyz*:

oluku. Next thing u go complain when we mention your people or enter your threads. Anyway, I will try to make sure im the first one of us to enter. smiley

onyeoshi.

feel free.

good cover for your unabashed interest in anything yoruba.

you just need an excuse for your fixation that's all.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 10:27pm On Nov 16, 2011
Abagworo:

There is oneness. The Edda, Onicha, Okposi, Ohaozara, Afikpo and Southern Ebonyi speak similar Igbo with Ohafia,Abiriba,Alayi. They all greet Ka or Jokwa.They believe they have ancient ties.

The Southern part of Abia which comprise Ngwa,Asa and Ndoki also have their own sense of oneness but still with suspect because of the overwhelming population of the Ngwa.

On the Orinmili issue.The Orinmili people already have a sense of being distinct.If you visit Anambra, you will notice that Onitsha and Ogbaru seem not to be in the State.Even the land disputes within conurbations like Nkpor and Onitsha and Obosi shows they are not the same people.In Aba which cuts across 5 local governments, one cannot hear say Osisioma people saying that they are not part of the Aba city but in Anambra you can never label a house in Nkpor or Obosi as Onitsha.

I am not even in support of creating clan based States like Orinmili.

i am not against that though as far as we change our structure and start running federalism the way it is supposed and not the nonsense we have at the moment
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Nov 16, 2011
Abagworo:

Honestly, what do you really know about Ebonyi people, you being from Imo and all. Frankly, i am beginning to suspect your motive for opening this thread and even questioning your identity if you are not an impostor sent here to plant a seed of disunity among Igbos.

Look, i am from Enugu State, Nkanu to be precise and have till recent years lived my whole life with people from Ebonyi when they were part of the greater Enugu State. I have never met or heard anyone, be it from Ebonyi or Enugu discriminate against one another. Infact, we never ever considered Ebonyi people, particularly Ezza as a different people. Nkanu and Ebonyi have a long generational history that goes way back that i find it insulting that someone from far away Imo State would claim more closeness to Ebonyi people than we, Enugu people.

For God's sake, Ezza people come to trade with us on our Nkwo market day and we Nkanu people do likewise on their Afor market day. They sometimes work as paid labour on our farmlands, give birth to and raise their kids in our enclaves and villages and we also do likewise with them.

Please, since i have figured out that your mission here is that of division, limit that c.rap to your Imo State on the real and do not insult our long history with the good people of Ebonyi.

Yes we know that some Anambra people bad mouth other Igbos, even more we Enugu people from the so called ''Igbo Capital'' by sometimes calling us ''ndi wawa'' or ''ndi maid'' but you  never hear us complaining because just like racism, it often comes from the lower cadre of people. In the Coal City, we have all manner of Igbos, Ibibios, our good Anioma Igbos, Efik, Ijaws and so on living there and we all live as one gigantic family. Coal City comes first to them before any other village they may have to the extent that some Imo, Anambra, Abia and Ebonyi people would rather stay in Enugu than relocate to their home state.

Ask the famous rapper and singer Mr Raw Nwanne and Flavour Nabania who are both from Abia and Anambra respectively where they call home and they would gladly tell you that Enugu comes first and they adamantly rep. it in their respective songs. Jay Jay Okocha likewise, whose family reside in Enugu too.

For real Abagworo, i am inclined to utterly insult you for that c.rap you typed there but i will just let it slide. You and your ilk here can create your division all you want but limit that shi.t to Imo and hands off Enugu and Ebonyi because we are simply one.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 16, 2011
edited.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:02pm On Nov 16, 2011
asha 80:

probably because there is no clear cut demarcation of them unless you can use a map and show them?
I can't find a map for it, but Afigbo, Onwuejeogwu, etc. refer to it as the "Igbo sub-cultural zones or areas".

Chyz*:

Because then you are lumping those who are "not the same" together. IS that something that "we" were all against, a sort of a unification? There can be no sort of north,south,east. . .if we are individual by clan and village groups.
Over-reacting unnecessarily aren't you? The "north", "south", "east" etc. is nothing more than simple categorization. You should know this. It is just like how I am Ngwa, and you are Ukwuani; two separate and unrelated peoples, but as fate and oyibo design would have it, we're both categorized as "Igbo".
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ak47mann(m): 11:05pm On Nov 16, 2011
Bandit C.:

Honestly, what do you really know about Ebonyi people, you being from Imo and all. Frankly, i am beginning to suspect your motive for opening this thread and even questioning your identity if you are not an impostor sent here to plant a seed of disunity among Igbos.

Look, i am from Enugu State, Nkanu to be precise and have till recent years lived my whole life with people from Ebonyi when they were part of the greater Enugu State. I have never met or heard anyone, be it from Ebonyi or Enugu discriminate against one another. Infact, we never ever considered Ebonyi people, particularly Ezza as a different people. Nkanu and Ebonyi have a long generational history that goes way back that i find it insulting that someone from far away Imo State would claim more closeness to Ebonyi people than we, Enugu people.

For God's sake, Ezza people come to trade with us on our Nkwo market day and we Nkanu people do likewise on their Afor market day. They sometimes work as paid labour on our farmlands, give birth to and raise their kids in our enclaves and villages and we also do likewise with them.

Please, since i have figured out that your mission here is that of division, limit that c.rap to your Imo State on the real and do not insult our long history with the good people of Ebonyi.

Yes we know that some Anambra people bad mouth other Igbos, even more we Enugu people from the so called ''Igbo Capital'' by sometimes calling us ''ndi wawa'' or ''ndi maid'' but you  never hear us complaining because just like racism, it often comes from the lower cadre of people. In the Coal City, we have all manner of Igbos, Ibibios, our good Anioma Igbos, Efik, Ijaws and so on living there and we all live as one gigantic family. Coal City comes first to them before any other village they may have to the extent that some Imo, Anambra, Abia and Ebonyi people would rather stay in Enugu than relocate to their home state.

Ask the famous rapper and singer Mr Raw Nwanne and Flavour Nabania who are both from Abia and Anambra respectively where they call home and they would gladly tell you that Enugu comes first and they adamantly rep. it in their respective songs. Jay Jay Okocha likewise, whose family reside in Enugu too.

For real Abagworo, i am inclined to utterly insult you for that c.rap you typed there but i will just let it slide. You and your ilk here can create your division all you want but limit that shi.t to Imo and hands off Enugu and Ebonyi because we are simply one.
cool cool cool
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 11:12pm On Nov 16, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I can't find a map for it, but Afigbo, Onwuejeogwu, etc. refer to it as the "Igbo sub-cultural zones or areas".
Over-reacting unnecessarily aren't you? The "north", "south", "east" etc. is nothing more than simple categorization. You should know this. It is just like how I am Ngwa, and you are Ukwuani; two separate and unrelated peoples, but as fate and oyibo design would have it, we're both categorized as "Igbo".

Had you the option to change "destiny" and be only one instead of both as you are now, how would you change things?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 11:15pm On Nov 16, 2011
ChinenyeN:

as you finding it difficult to find the map so also are others(not including peeps that have no access to internet).it is more like things we use to enforce an argurement
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Chyz2: 11:37pm On Nov 16, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Over-reacting? Not in the slightest. when you categorize, you lump "unrelated people" together as if they are related that is wht people get "ansy" like you do when others try and lump your people's history with Nri. We all know that the relation of Ngwa to Ukwuani is the same as the relation of Ngwa to Ashanti or fulani.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Abagworo(m): 11:57pm On Nov 16, 2011
Bandit C.:

Your ranting is unnecessary as I was not the originator of that writing I copied from another thread on Nairaland where Ebonyi guy and Anambra were discussing.So Abagworo is not the source.

The one I wrote about close ties between "Southern Ebonyi" and Northern Abia is very accurate.I did not include Northern Ebonyi there.
Abagworo:

Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 12:38am On Nov 17, 2011
Now I see where this drunkard Abagworo is heading with these unfounded malicious accusations against the so called northern Igbos. Orinmili state eekwa? Do you even know the origin of the Ogbaru people and co? What makes you think there is onenes between Nri children and some lost souls who claim they come from Benin? I see you want to split Anambra into pieces and maybe by doing that you wish to reduce their power,wealth and influence! In ur wildest f. .u. .c. .k. .i. .n. .g dream mister.
Everytime, I hear people from some parts of Igboland making jest of Anambra boys who are into trading calling them "uneducated omata boys",but those boys pay no minc to them and keep raking their cheese,but when they become freaking rich same people who call them omata will turn around and call them "money ritualist" !! Abagworo,go find a small wooden chair,sit down on it and be quiet,mister!!
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:43am On Nov 17, 2011
Chyz, I don't see how it's such a big deal for you and others, but that's just me. If you've got a problem with the whole "southern", "northern" etc. then I suggest you take it up with Onwuejeogwu, Afigbo, Jones, et al. I'm not the one who invented the demarcation, though I see nothing wrong with it at all. It's just simple clan-clustering for the sake of categorization. It's not the same thing as ascribing some new identity to a collective group of people, and it certainly is not comparable to that Nri nonsense. So don't think you scored any points using that as an example.

Odumchi, are you sure you want to know the answer to that question?

Asha, you're right, but that doesn't make the categorization any less true. For instance, before I knew anything about the whole north/south/east categorization, I was already well aware of the Aro/Abiriba/Ohafia/Bende, etc. clan cluster, which we in Ngwa, Asa, Ndoki refer to as "nmogh" or "nmogho". Afigbo, Onwuejeogwu, etc. call them "eastern" or "Cross Rivers Igbo", which I learned of later on. My point is very simple. These demarcations aren't pulled from thin air. No. Instead, they have a real and legitimate basis. How people chose to use it is their own business, whether it is just to inform or to assert an argument or a point.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 12:58am On Nov 17, 2011
Yes, I am interested and would like to find out. However, I suspect that I might already know the answer.

ChinenyeN:

Chyz, I don't see how it's such a big deal for you and others, but that's just me. If you've got a problem with the whole "southern", "northern" etc. then I suggest you take it up with Onwuejeogwu, Afigbo, Jones, et al. I'm not the one who invented the demarcation, though I see nothing wrong with it at all. It's just simple clan-clustering for the sake of categorization. It's not the same thing as ascribing some new identity to a collective group of people, and it certainly is not comparable to that Nri nonsense. So don't think you scored any points using that as an example.

Odumchi, are you sure you want to know the answer to that question?

Asha, you're right, but that doesn't make the categorization any less true. For instance, before I knew anything about the whole north/south/east categorization, I was already well aware of the Aro/Abiriba/Ohafia/Bende, etc. clan cluster, which we in Ngwa, Asa, Ndoki refer to as "nmogh" or "nmogho". Afigbo, Onwuejeogwu, etc. call them "eastern" or "Cross Rivers Igbo", which I learned of later on. My point is very simple. These demarcations aren't pulled from thin air. No. Instead, they have a real and legitimate basis. How people chose to use it is their own business, whether it is just to inform or to assert an argument or a point.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:19am On Nov 17, 2011
So, Abagworo in your warped mind you concluded that land disputes are basis to use and find our who is related to who ? U are a very poisnous human being but I dont wanna place curse on you! So,Onitsha people who call non-Onitsha Igbos "nwa onye Igbo" all of a sudden see an Ogbaru person as his brother Can you just listen to urself speak ? U sounded like someone who feed on human feces!!! Get outa here u disgusting son of a **ore. Stay away from whats not your business you atulu awusa. Among all the squabbles between Onitsha people and other Igbos they would still prefer to be part of the Great Anambra Igbos! Obu onye fusili ebe ana echi ozo jebe ebe ana alu agwu?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 1:24am On Nov 17, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

So, Abagworo in your warped mind you concluded that land disputes are basis to use and find our who  is related to who ? U are a very poisnous human being but I dont wanna place curse on you! So,Onitsha people  who call non-Onitsha Igbos "nwa onye Igbo" all of a sudden see an Ogbaru person as his brother Can you just listen to urself speak ? U sounded like someone who feed on human feces!!! Get outa here u disgusting son of a **ore. Stay away from whats not your business you atulu awusa. [b]Among all the squabbles between Onitsha people and other Igbos they would still prefer to be part of the Great Anambra Igbos! [/b]Obu onye fusili ebe ana echi ozo jebe ebe ana alu agwu? 

not too sure about that
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Obiagu1(m): 1:28am On Nov 17, 2011
Quote from Abagworo:

I never said anything was imposed.As for the Igbo Izugbe I hope you know the meaning.It means a constructed Igbo achieved by taking words and sentences from deviated dialects to achieve a mutually intelligible language.French and Latin can be merged to produce a language which both the French and Latin can understand but it does not make the two languages the same.

Using Nairaland as a yard stick, you will clearly notice that the North and South of Igbo are different in every way. I can post links showing these obvious jealousy or differences.

Igbo Izugbe was based on Southern Igbo way of speaking. If you actually studied Igbo in school and know Anambra/Enugu dialects, then you'll know what I mean. Igbo Izugbe is not what we speak!
Sometimes we make fun of ourselves while growing up that everyone should speak Igbo Izugbe.

Anambra people never complained.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Obiagu1(m): 1:29am On Nov 17, 2011
Quotes from Abagworo:

Those calling for me to rest are the ones that need to rest.I even experienced another one today at the bank where 2 Anambra women were mocking a man from Ebonyi and I delved into the issue of them being Igbo with the Abakaliki man,only to get an answer that agburu ayi aburo ofu.

So here is my question

If Ojukwu was an Imo man would Anambra have joined in the Biafran war?

If Ojukwu was from Ebonyi, would Anambra have joined the war?

You seem not to understand the reason for my post.I just quoted an Ebonyi Nairalander.[b]If you go through that thread you will notice a sense of distinctness on the part of Ebonyi and Anambra.[/b]For example an Ebonyi man could never have been a Governor when they were part of Anambra but an Ebonyi man was the 1st governor of Abia.That shows a sense of oneness between Ebonyi and Abia which they do not share with Anambra.They do not see Imo or Abia as oppressors.

Tell me one Anambra man, democratically elected, that ever ruled the Igbos? Zik was Anioma as of then when he became Premier, Nri/Awka never complained.

Anambra, for the first time, ruled himself when Anambra State was created. Even in former Anambra, it was all Enugu people that were elected. Who complained in Nri/Awka?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Obiagu1(m): 1:30am On Nov 17, 2011
Quote from Abagworo:

To start with I have always been a defender of Igbo unity on Nairaland but I seem to have arrived a dead end as it seems culturally we are not the same people.The artificial ethnic creation seems to have been founded on Nri/Awka hegemony and other so-called Igbos sheepishly following them.

There is nothing like Igbo unity.All so-called Igbos from Imo,Abia,Rivers and parts of Ebonyi have little or nothing in common with Anambra and Enugu.An Anambra man can barely understand what an Ngwa,Mbaise,Owerri,Oguta,Abiriba,Afikpo,Ohafia,Item, and most other Southern Igbos speak.We understand them though.

They refuse to marry from Southern Igbo on grounds of different blood lines.I even think most of Delta Igbos (apart from Ibuzor who are Isu) seem to belong to the same stock as Nri/Awka while most of the Rivers and Akwa-Ibom Igbos are of same stock as Isu/Oru.

I have also noticed that while most Southern Igbos might see Enugu,Ekwulobia or Igboukwu as part of us,the Northern Igbos try as much as possible to despise Owerri,Umuahia and Aba.

I also noticed that they condemn Onitsha and Abakaliki people  which confirms Onitsha and Abakaliki as also a different stock from them.

This has to stop or we will end up as we were in the past as small independent ethnic groups.

You talked of hegemony. When, who, where was such hegemony founded?
It pisses me off when some people jump on Nri/Awka as if we did anything to them.
Nri/Awka was probably the last people that came in contact with the Europeans and how did we suddenly set the tone and you "sheepishly" followed?

Believe me, you have problem.

You talked about marriage, do you know that in my town, more than 80% marry within? Does it mean we are not the same as the neighbouring town?

This is how silly your argument is.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 1:33am On Nov 17, 2011
Nri Priest

A little less enmity would be appreciated.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 1:38am On Nov 17, 2011
Obiagu1:

You talked of hegemony. When, who, where was such hegemony founded?
It pisses me off everyone some people will jump on Nri/Awka as if we did anything to them.
Nri/Awka was probably the last people that came in contact with the Europeans and how did we suddenly set the tone and you "sheepishly" followed?

Believe me, you have problem.

You talked about marriage, do you know that in my town, more than 80% marry within?
Does it mean we are not the same as the neighbouring town?

This is how silly your argument is.

question on the bolded.80%? are you guys that many in your town?that is the only way i see that happening because where i am from i cannot see that happening lest you marry your cousin.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Obiagu1(m): 1:38am On Nov 17, 2011
Quote from Abagworo:

You are right in most points but what is the use being in a united Igbo when the purpose is already defeated from the start.Look at what Ohaneze1 wrote with regards to Igbos to the South.

When I used the word "stable", I carefully chose that word because you seem very unstable.

Ohaneze1 wrote something or you overheard someone on the street making fun of you because you are from where you are, then you opened a thread and wrote you don't think we are one.

I tell you that the way you're going, one day someone on the street will abuse you and tell you you're not a man that you're a woman, and you'll go back to your house and cut off your d.i.c.k and swear that from now on you're not a man afterall everyone looks different, so we are not one.

Just silly!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Amuses You The Most About Nigerians? / Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation / Igbo And Yoruba Women Who Has Best Way Of Dressing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.