Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,921 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? (11448 Views)

Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! / We The Ikwerre Are Igbos By Ikechukwu A. Ogu(interesting Write Up) / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by AndreUweh(m): 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2011
I'm an Igbo but spent my early years in Yorubaland. As a consequence it is easy for me to draw comparisms of both great sides.  It is nothing new. Comparisms helps move people, organisations and nations forward. Here in the U.K, The British society of ten compares herself with the French, American, German and other nations at the forefront of civilization.
I will always compare the Igbo to Yoruba or the other way round when I have a case to discuss. I hardly bring Hausa in as I do not have much insight about them.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Martmore: 5:03pm On Nov 16, 2011
One thing i want to bring to light is the fact that word igbo was not coined, it has existed for centuries.Even the slave owners knew that there where a group of people called igbos.Also my great grand mother before she died knew that there were igbos living in Asaba where she goes to trade from nsukka.yes we lived under different groups but are one people.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by AndreUweh(m): 5:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
^^^Even amongst the slaves were people like Igbokwe, Igbondu etc.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Abagworo(m): 6:01pm On Nov 16, 2011
Those calling for me to rest are the ones that need to rest.I even experienced another one today at the bank where 2 Anambra women were mocking a man from Ebonyi and I delved into the issue of them being Igbo with the Abakaliki man,only to get an answer that agburu ayi aburo ofu.

So here is my question

If Ojukwu was an Imo man would Anambra have joined in the Biafran war?

If Ojukwu was from Ebonyi, would Anambra have joined the war?

Andre Uweh:

^^^Even amongst the slaves were people like Igbokwe, Igbondu etc.

The meaning of the Igbo in those names is yet to be ascertained.That "Igbo" in those names could easily be replaced with "Oha","Eze" or "Chi".
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:06pm On Nov 16, 2011
My fellow Igbos, I want to use this medium to ask you guys to stop bringing yoruba people into our discusions. Do you think they care abt your unity ? Isnt this the same people who make mockery of how innocent Igbo women and children were masacrered in the war! The only thing they care about is ur BEAUTIFUL women,thats only when they kiss ur ass! Do not allude them dignity by using them to make examples. It gives them great joy that Igbos mentioned them. But you guys will not listen,until they start insulting us. I have never in my life seen yoruba people as  important. I have lots of them as friends and they know we Igbos are more mannered and inteligent than most of them.  Leave these lots alone and stop discusing them. Left for me alone, I will device means to overpower them economically and bring them to their knees. Igbos learn,learn and learn !!!!
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:18pm On Nov 16, 2011
Abagworo, what has come over you ? In my hometown umuoji, there is this village some people from my village make fun of and call them "akagbe“,which means untrustworthy. So,Abagworo that occurence is obtainable everywhere,nwannem. Do you know that onitsha people discriminate against each other.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 6:20pm On Nov 16, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

My fellow Igbos, I want to use this medium to ask you guys to stop bringing yoruba people into our discusions. Do you think they care abt your unity ? Isnt this the same people who make mockery of how innocent Igbo women and children were masacrered in the war! The only thing they care about is your BEAUTIFUL women,thats only when they kiss your Bottom! Do not allude them dignity by using them to make examples. It gives them great joy that Igbos mentioned them. But you guys will not listen,until they start insulting us. I have never in my life seen yoruba people as  important. I have lots of them as friends and they know we Igbos are more mannered and inteligent than most of them.  Leave these lots alone and stop discusing them. Left for me alone, I will device means to overpower them economically and bring them to their knees. Igbos learn,learn and learn !!!!

I really want to know when yorubas made fun of dead or dying children ?

You seem to be thinking of yorubas so much that u are illusinating about them even in your dreams cry cry cry

How sad, very sad indeed
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 6:24pm On Nov 16, 2011
@ Abagworo my friend

I see your point and I have lived in anambra before so I kind of get where you are coming from.

Now instead of talking of the problem, I rather give a solution to Igbo people and I know you would thank me later for this.

Now Igbos are republicans in nature and are very very individualistic. When you look at an average Igbo man or woman, you see a sense of individual pride where a man believes he is his own king.

In fact I can say, different clan believe they are supririor to the next door clan while others believe it is a sort of competition.

Needless to say, this trace in Igbo people CAN WORK TO AN ADVANTAGE.

One, the new state creation SHOULD NOT GROUP WHOLE CLANS of people into just one state. There should be overlaps, lets say the ngwas should be in Imo and Abia.

2. Ndigbo should FIRST go back to monarchy system where other Monarchy would see higher Leader than them. This higher monarchy should not come from Anambra, Enugu or Abia. The monarchy should come from Ebonyi thus the Ebonyi people have a sense of identity and higher propose and the Anambra, Enugu and Abia which I believe have supirority complex should honor this agreement.

3. Ndigbo have to accept ONE HISTORY of there people even if it does not seat comfortablly with others. I mean right now there are the Nri and Awka believe, this can be changed to just Nri.

4. Other states should deposit and make just ONE OF THE SE states a meeting point. Likely IMO state not anambra because you do not want others feeling supiror

I am sure you know these things.

THE WORSE MISTAKE NDIGBOS would make is comparing themselves with other groups. I have said it.

okwu a di omimi. hmmmm ndi igbo echere o !!!!!
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 6:30pm On Nov 16, 2011
i agree with Kengali on his opinion especially the umunna part but see where the issue is.Can the umunna stand as a government of its own in this era?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:31pm On Nov 16, 2011
Abagworo, you have just created an avenue for this deranged Chinenyen to push his never to acomplished clannish agenda. And you can see how some yoruba people here who know next to nothing about Igbo people are praising his divisive agenda.
As for OHANEZE1, you dont have manners at all and I have my face buried in the sand when I figured ur Anambrarian. You should come back and apologise to everybody here for insulting Umiigbo !!!
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ak47mann(m): 6:31pm On Nov 16, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

My fellow Igbos, I want to use this medium to ask you guys to stop bringing yoruba people into our discusions. Do you think they care abt your unity ? Isnt this the same people who make mockery of how innocent Igbo women and children were masacrered in the war! The only thing they care about is your BEAUTIFUL women,thats only when they kiss your Bottom! Do not allude them dignity by using them to make examples. It gives them great joy that Igbos mentioned them. But you guys will not listen,until they start insulting us. I have never in my life seen yoruba people as  important. I have lots of them as friends and they know we Igbos are more mannered and inteligent than most of them.  Leave these lots alone and stop discusing them. Left for me alone, I will device means to overpower them economically and bring them to their knees. Igbos learn,learn and learn !!!!
 some yaribas are bloody animals, for someone to mocking dead biafran children that will tell you how mentally unstable they are, they are not our people period.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 6:40pm On Nov 16, 2011
ak47mann:

some yaribas are bloody animals, for someone to mocking dead biafran children that will tell you how mentally unstable they are, they are not our people period.

LOL see who is talking, dem-people

When did yorubas mock dead baifra children ? Or any group in Nigeria mock ndi igbo people ?

some of you post from your a55es at times it makes me wonder if you igbos on Nairaland are mentally ok, I mean mentally sound to have a sane or sensible discussion.

You people were posting on how MKO and Awolowo died on rat poisons according to your words, then the yorubas on NL said the same thing that would hurt your feelings as well, then you are calling them animals

Does that make sense to you, yaribas as you called them are mouthy people and they don't take it likely if YOU OR ANY GROUP insults the people they respect. I am sure you have studied history books and know the characteristics of ethnic ethnic group.

If you insult the people they respect, they would hit you harder, FACT there is no running away from that.

In fact they are even nicer compared to northerners, THEY WOULD KILL YOU AT THE SPOT even if it is another kanuri or hausa man.

Northern, ( Kanuri people ecspecially) don't take it likly if you insult the leaders they love and respect. FACT

I am just telling you so you do not cry foul when it hits you back harder.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:46pm On Nov 16, 2011
Its not really that bad cause even some Anambra guys marry Imo,Abia and Abia chics. I have the the idea that will make Ndigbo more united but it isnt something that I will spill here.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Afam4eva(m): 6:47pm On Nov 16, 2011
Abagworo:

Those calling for me to rest are the ones that need to rest.I even experienced another one today at the bank where 2 Anambra women were mocking a man from Ebonyi and I delved into the issue of them being Igbo with the Abakaliki man,only to get an answer that agburu ayi aburo ofu.

So here is my question

If Ojukwu was an Imo man would Anambra have joined in the Biafran war?

If Ojukwu was from Ebonyi, would Anambra have joined the war?

The meaning of the Igbo in those names is yet to be ascertained.That "Igbo" in those names could easily be replaced with "Oha","Eze" or "Chi".

This scenario is not exclusive to Igbo groups. Yes, Igbos just like every other group in the world discriminate against each other, but in a very minor way. For instance, two of my uncles are married to Anambra women. Vefore they married these women, some people were saying they shouldn't, that Anambra women control their husbands bla bla bla.  This thing happens everywhere, even within Anambra, Enugu and other Igbo states. Even villages fight villages. Clans fight clans. Families from the same village fight each other.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ak47mann(m): 6:57pm On Nov 16, 2011
^^^^
malam look am not here to convince you that yaribas mock dead biafran children or not, why are they jumping in anything igbo or BIAFRA on it?and they disrespect my leader too why cant i disrespect there's?they call ojukwu all sort of names well not all of them but most of them that have wicked and devilish GENE from their mentor awolowo still have mouth to insult dead children, am not in support of living my own yard and poke my nose on someone business whats my own there.

We no kanuri man hausa man carry dagger all the time but remember am from anambra state go and ask Hausa man or kanuri man living there how onitsha people behave onicha people are not push over they will deal with you if you disrespect them.Ask yourself why anytime their is riot in norther Nigeria Hausa in onicha will cross the river to asaba for safety.

no matter anything i will never mock a dead person talk-less  of children cos GOD will descend on you, is even inhuman to laugh at dead children. cool cool
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:06pm On Nov 16, 2011
Afam,no mind Abagworo cause he knows better. Maybe the guy don pay nwa Ngwa visit and he sliped somefing in his mmanya!
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Chyz2: 7:11pm On Nov 16, 2011
From Tpia:
Why do some igbos keep harping what they feel they know about ijebu?

Mostly making erroneous statements to boot.

Learn to know when you're in a wind up and try to diffentiate between what you hear or are told and what actually obtains.

@Tpia

Next time you make sure you do the same when mentioning something like the below. .

as per the ikwerre reference- i know its a sore point but are you sure the current names arent actually supposed to be the ones which most closely match their traditions.

Ru commonly begins place names in parts of central africa.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Chyz2: 7:54pm On Nov 16, 2011
From minimynimo:
I can only say among all the tribes in Nigeria, The Igbos are the least fused, unified or wha'ever. Am igbo but I dare say we the ones I believe CANNOT govern ourselves should Nigeria break apart. We will simply degenerate to intra-genocide.

Before we were clumped into nigeria were we killing and fighting amonst each other? The answer in NO. Since that was the case then, why do you think we would kill each other if we went back to how we use to be,decentralized, when it is clear that it works for us? Also, even in nigeria, we are not killing each other but having disputes(political,clannish, ).
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 7:55pm On Nov 16, 2011
see guys Abagworo has a point in what he is saying but the problem is that it does not stop there.Within the clans this sort of of derision also happens.Even within villages it still happens.personally from experience the clan own or village own is even deadlier eg the ogbunka crises in orumba,aguleri/umuleri crises.meanwhile these two instances the people are probably from the same nri/awka stock.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:57pm On Nov 16, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Afam,no mind Abagworo cause he knows better. Maybe the guy don pay nwa Ngwa visit and he sliped somefing in his mmanya!
This makes no sense. Clearly Abagworo is displaying a deep deep (maybe overly deep) concern with the state of "Igbohood" and "Igbo Unity", as he sees it. So, it stands to reason that this has nothing to do with me, because if it did then trust me, his comments would be drastically different. Read my very first post in this topic. Abagworo and I do not share the same views on this overly-flogged issue.

alj_harem:

One, the new state creation SHOULD NOT GROUP WHOLE CLANS of people into just one state. There should be overlaps, lets say the ngwas should be in Imo and Abia.

2. Ndigbo should FIRST go back to monarchy system where other Monarchy would see higher Leader than them. This higher monarchy should not come from Anambra, Enugu or Abia. The monarchy should come from Ebonyi thus the Ebonyi people have a sense of identity and higher propose and the Anambra, Enugu and Abia which I believe have supirority complex should honor this agreement.

3. Ndigbo have to accept ONE HISTORY of there people even if it does not seat comfortablly with others. I mean right now there are the Nri and Awka believe, this can be changed to just Nri.

1. No. No.
2. (Sarcastic Laugh) Good luck with that.
3. Never. Don't even.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by tpia5: 8:05pm On Nov 16, 2011
Chyz

stop reading unnecessary meanings into my posts and likewise stop following me trying to pick a fight.

I made an informed observation which you're free to disagree with and in case you didnt notice, i didnt converse in absolutes like your brothers who i responded to did.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ak47mann(m): 8:09pm On Nov 16, 2011
look no matter what!! BIAFRA united igbos, i don't care if u are ngwa clan or onicha clan or abakiliki the most important thing is that during the war everybody came out and defend themselves from foreign  invaders that's why ojukwu got love from all igbo-land.

abagworo ojukwu was at that time got the lion heart to fight to save his people from massacre he declared biafra when the last train from northern state packed with dead bodies all cut in pieces,limb by limb arrived in enugu,  angry angry
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by deadie(m): 8:19pm On Nov 16, 2011
Wow, you guys really surprise me with the nonsense being discussed here. I am from Abia, my sister is married in to an Imo guy, one of my brother married from Imo, another from Enugu, an uncle is married to an Anambra woman. This is the first time ever that I have heard that Igbos discriminate against each other based on state of origin, except for Onitsha people, because if they marrying a non-Onitsha person makes them ineligible to be Igwe. By the way, one of my best friends is from Onitsha, and we have had some discussion on that. Except someone is seeking ways to introduce some inexistent division, I do not understand the meaning of this thread. For those asking if other parts of Igbo would have joined the war if Ojukwu was from Imo, I think you should grow up, seriously.

1 Like

Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Chyz2: 8:25pm On Nov 16, 2011
tpia@:

Chyz

stop reading unnecessary meanings into my posts and likewise stop following me trying to pick a fight.

I made an informed observation which you're free to disagree with and in case you didnt notice, i did converse in absolutes like your brothers who i responded to did.

Whatever the case,just thought I'd make that clear. Stop being a hypocrite.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Nov 16, 2011
deadie:

Wow, you guys really surprise me with the nonsense being discussed here. I am from Abia, my sister is married in to an Imo guy, one of my brother married from Imo, another from Enugu, an uncle is married to an Anambra woman. This is the first time ever that I have heard that Igbos discriminate against each other based on state of origin, except for Onitsha people, because if they marrying a non-Onitsha person makes them ineligible to be Igwe. By the way, one of my best friends is from Onitsha, and we have had some discussion on that. Except someone is seeking ways to introduce some inexistent division, I do not understand the meaning of this thread. For those asking if other parts of Igbo would have joined the war if Ojukwu was from Imo, I think you should grow up, seriously.

The only nonsense being discussed here is by Abagworo with his non-existent Northern and Southern Igbo rubbish.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:37pm On Nov 16, 2011
mbatuku2:

The only nonsense being discussed here is by Abagworo with his non-existent Northern and Southern Igbo rubbish.
If this is the only thing you're picking up from this topic, then clearly you're not understanding Abagworo's point, or maybe you're not even trying to make an effort to understand in the first place. *shrug*
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Chyz2: 8:47pm On Nov 16, 2011
There is no such thing as southern or northern Igbo.Also, stop singling out anambra amd enugu.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 8:50pm On Nov 16, 2011
By the way, some of you get unnecessarily antsy over the mention of "north" or "south" or "eastern" etc. for no real reason at all. Why?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by tpia5: 8:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
True that.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 8:53pm On Nov 16, 2011
ChinenyeN:

By the way, some of you get unnecessarily antsy over the mention of "north" or "south" or "eastern" etc. for no real reason at all. Why?

probably because there is no clear cut demarcation of them unless you can use a map and show them?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Abagworo(m): 8:56pm On Nov 16, 2011
nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-27608.0.html

nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-374332.0.html

I did not want to respond to this question but my
conscience could not allow me. This is because if i
dont do alot of people will be decieved. Firstly, all
fingers are not equal, secondly Ebonyi state is the
youngest state in the south-east. Thirdly Ebonyians
made up of old Enugu(Abakaliki zone) and Old Abia
(Afikpo zone) are victims of marginalization in their
old states. This is the main aim of the agitation of
state creation, government impacts were not felt in
the old Abakaliki zone. Their entitlements were taken
by their oppressors, this made them stagnant in
terms of material and human development. It is on
record that a lot of people claiming Ebonyi state
indigene are not from Ebonyi state, a lot of
schlolarship opportunities were traded to the highest
bidders. Their job chances were sold, given to other
people because nobody was speaking for them. If you
check through our security services, you will
understand what i mean.
Lastly ONYE-NGBU let me remind you that it was
what your fathers and grand fathers did to Ebonyi
Indigenes that made them lag behind but i have one
promise for you. With what is obtainable in Ebonyi
and Anambra States presently, Anambra cannot see
the brakelight of Ebonyi state in the next ten to
fifteen years both in term of material and human
development. Thank God, there was somebody in the
name of SANI ABACHA that liberated the Ebonyians
from the claws of evil men who were tormenting
them. Rest in peace ABACHA
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Chyz2: 8:57pm On Nov 16, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Because then you are lumping those who are "not the same" together. IS that something that "we" were all against, a sort of a unification? There can be no sort of north,south,east. . .if we are individual by clan and village groups.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lets Talk About FGM; Female Core Mutilation / What Actually Is Igbo Traditional Attire / What Amuses You The Most About Nigerians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.