Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? (11453 Views)

Yoruba Girls/women Wear Waist Beads And This Is What It Culturally Means! / We The Ikwerre Are Igbos By Ikechukwu A. Ogu(interesting Write Up) / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ak47mann(m): 3:15pm On Nov 17, 2011
onicha was no mans land back in the days, or should i say onicha still belongs to idemmili clans, most onicha indigence came from asaba,mix with some igbos from idemmili clans,as the last time i remembered, onicha people and nkpor people had a big fight cos of land,that is why most onicha indigence studied LAW, they use that knowledge to acquire a lot of lands from idemmili people,  i know one justice that owns over 500 Hectare , state government banks, churches, schools, even the Nigerian stock exchange, business villa, all leasing lands from him. cool very clever cool
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ezeagu(m): 3:43pm On Nov 17, 2011
Very cunning.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:25pm On Nov 17, 2011
Ezeagu,where are the Anioma people from? Why did Onicha people crossed the river and settled at Onitcha? Why didnt they stay with their brethren in Anioma whom according to you  they have "closer link" with ? Ana ebu ana ebu ? They can always pack their loads and move back to Benin,where they come from and tell Benin king that Ezechima was a Benin prince,hence they should produce the next Oba!! Because Onicha people never claimed Anioma,instead they claimed they are from Benin. Bunch of losers!!!
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:32pm On Nov 17, 2011
And now they want Orinmili state after settling in our land and we didnt give them any trouble. Let me see how this Orinmili bull crap settles.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:46pm On Nov 17, 2011
It was the Umuoji people that moved Nkpor people at their present location and Onitsha people settled very much later. Then when civilisation came and the white man interacted with Onicha people first and they discovered that land is money thats when they started claiming Nkpor and Obosi people lands and these are people that settled in Idenmili land in the 18th century.Though they are smart enough not to Bleep with Ogidi folks.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 5:47pm On Nov 17, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

And now they want Orinmili state after settling in our land and we didnt give them any trouble. Let me see how this Orinmili bull crap settles.

LOL grin grin grin

You people are very funny I must admit

So you called those that have lived and found a place settlers ?even after establishing a monarchy ? and bare names which are igbos

Are they not equals as well ? What is the difference between an Oka man and an Onicha man in the same anambra ?

Only that one claims to come from benin and the other Nri, and so ? LIVE AND LET LIVE is the attitude to life.

If they like let them form Orinmili state in 200 places,our people say Igbo bu Igbo, aka Igbo is Igbo whether from Ijaw or from Benin. Uche from Onicha is not different from Uche from Oka or nnewi.

Moreover was it not the same thing your leader Mr benjamin Nwokaturuocha was asking for in fastec state ? Did Igbos not settle in lagos ?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-717425.0.html

You see life is like a boomerang. Once you throw it to someone else, it would hit you back.

I really hope you take Jason's post to you earlier to heart. It would go a long way
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ezeagu(m): 5:59pm On Nov 17, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

[size=18pt]Then when civilisation came and the white man interacted with Onicha people first and they discovered that land is money[/size]

[center]

[/center]
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by asha80(m): 6:56pm On Nov 17, 2011
bandit c you have now come up with own generalisation now?you are now using abagworo as an eg of an imo man no be so?imo people are cunning right?take time there!
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Abagworo(m): 7:14pm On Nov 17, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Abagworo,u need to man up and stop being a wimp! We Anambrarians has always being in support of Anioma state and myself has stoutly supported the idea. You know we have Anioma. People here and u want to turn them against their Anambra brothers because some Anambra people insulted ebonyians. Obiagu simply said that the reason why Anioma hasnt worked is because they were trying to make Onicha their capital!! Well, I dont know how true that is,but who in their right state of mind will make such proposals!!! I will always pull my support for Anioma state, I have zero problem with its creation and I see it happening soon!! My Anioma brother,remenber that u are of Nri stock and you all are blood brothers with Ndi Anambra and we will always stand by u. Do not listen to this idiotic,deluded Abagworo because his trying to plant the seed of division and hate amongst brothers!!
As for Orinmili, Ogbaru people and Onitsha people are all our brothers and there is no need for such demarcation. I will give my support to Igboezuo state because Orinmili is not feasible.
Abagworo, stop looking for trouble where there is non. Mind your business!!

I have not looked for any trouble.What I wrote is exactly what you "NRI PRIEST" is displaying on this thread. Your people claim to be the "real Igbos" whenever the chips are down but when the numbers are needed, the unreal Igbos are now merged with the real Igbos to form a unified Igbo under your reign. Things do not work that way.People are quite wiser now and need equality in every thing.

As for the Orinmili, I did not know how sensitive the issue is but I just learnt from your response.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by tpia5: 7:32pm On Nov 17, 2011
Yes, i believe the ogidi king fought a lot of wars with his neighbours back in the day, and was generally regarded as quarrelsome or warmongering.

I thought people had gotten past all that however- it was centuries ago.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Chyz2: 7:51pm On Nov 17, 2011
tpia@:

Yes, i believe the ogidi king fought a lot of wars with his neighbours back in the day, and was generally regarded as quarrelsome or warmongering.

I thought people had gotten past all that however- it was centuries ago.

scram.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by tpia5: 7:56pm On Nov 17, 2011
^Are you effective?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Chyz2: 8:46pm On Nov 17, 2011
tpia@:

^Are you effective?

I will succeed one day. wink
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 8:55pm On Nov 17, 2011
Chyz*:

I will succeed one day. wink

chasing tpai around ko

chyz no let me catch u o angry grin grin
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by pazienza(m): 9:40pm On Nov 17, 2011
Did i hear anyone say onitsha and ogidi,onicha knows their boundary,they cant toy with us,fa ma na onicha eteka bu maka Ogidi.Their land grabing spree wil always end wit nkpor and obosi,nkpor thought they can stupidly lose all their lands to onicha and then make it up with Ogidi's land,they learnt their lesson the bitter way,only Ikenga handled them for a very long time.
The fact is that Ogidi knew of onicha's arrogance and started preparing herself before time,in those days when they use to say that 'onicha ana n' iyi' Ogidi knew that it was because onicha was the most educated town in the region,they immediately started doing community fund raising to train their best brains at foreign and local univesities,Obosi and nkpor never prepared themselves and they paid with their lands.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by pazienza(m): 9:46pm On Nov 17, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

It was the Umuoji people that moved Nkpor people at their present location and Onitsha people settled very much later. Then when civilisation came and the white man interacted with Onicha people first and they discovered that land is money thats when they started claiming Nkpor and Obosi people lands and these are people that settled in Idenmili land in the 18th century.Though they are smart enough not to bleep with Ogidi folks.

Nri priest,i never knew you are from idemili,let alone umuoji our neighbours,nna ke ka ime? I am from Ogidi-inwele.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 9:51pm On Nov 17, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

It was the Umuoji people that moved Nkpor people at their present location and Onitsha people settled very much later. Then when civilisation came and the white man interacted with Onicha people first and they discovered that land is money thats when they started claiming Nkpor and Obosi people lands and these are people that settled in Idenmili land in the 18th century.Though they are smart enough not to bleep with Ogidi folks.

White men do not equate to civilisation. Civilisation existed far before Henry the navigator even dreamed of sailing down the African coast.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 9:52pm On Nov 17, 2011
@ Chinenye

I guess I was correct with my guess. I was hoping I wasn't.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:58pm On Nov 17, 2011
Firstly, Abagworo I need you to explain or quote where in this thread I have disrespected or talked down on my fellow Igbos Who the f. .u. .c. .k are you refering to as real Igbos ? I never knew there is something like "real" and "unreal" IGBOS until you mentioned it here !!!
Anambrarians has never forced anybody to align with them. We have never intimidated or belittle our brothers but some people have a way of feeling overshadowed,insecure or intimidated and we cant do anything about that. The average Anambra man wants to be wealthy and real fast too and there is nothing wrong in wanting a good life or wanting to be the best. Do not confuse our hardworking nature for feeling superior!! These are two different thing. I see emotional hatred and jealousy written all over your writings!!!
You are a deceitful man and an instigator!! You think you are clever but u are a big FOOL!! I am sure you are now fulfilled since Alhaji Harem has joined you to set your own house on fire while his is been painted!!! I am sure u are very satisfied!!
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 10:01pm On Nov 17, 2011
I said this earlier, cool down with the insults. I'm sure there's a way that you can adequately express your emotion to him without such remarks.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:13pm On Nov 17, 2011
Pazienza,nwannem abunum nwa okodu kpomkwem!! Ogidis are our next door neighbor and we are cool with them. You are correct about Obosi and Nkpor. At least Obosi gave them a good fight and they didnt grab much from them but Nkpor people were too relaxed thats why they lost lots of their lands to the Onitsha people. Nkpor used to have more land more than every other Idenmili town but today thats not the same,they relaxed and allowed Onicha people to steal their lands.
Pazienza, kedu ebe ino ?
ODUMCHI,i am very sorry, it wont happen again.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:25pm On Nov 17, 2011
odumchi:

@ Chinenye
I guess I was correct with my guess. I was hoping I wasn't.
Why?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aribisala0(m): 11:42pm On Nov 17, 2011
has christianity been a help or hindrance in achieving this unity??
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:49pm On Nov 17, 2011
Alh harem, u are a complete hypocrite!! So, you rebuked some Igbos here for using yoruba groups to comparison in relation to Igbo groups set up but you are quick to point that just like Onicha folks had settled in Anambra lands there are Igbos that settled in lagos!! What a man of dignity !! For your info. Igbos did not settle in lagos but simply went there to work!! They worked their hands to the bones,bought lands from the Aworis and built their houses and businesses. I have never seen an Igbo man in lagos fighting over a land that he didnt buy with his hard earned money!
Onicha people on the other settled in another mans land,got accepted cause they were our brothers but they went ahead and device a plot to steal lands that belong to their neighbor who accepted them after they were chased out by the Benins who knew they were Igbos and aint Benins. Even though the insecure lots considered Benin as their acenstral home.
So, Alh harem describe the basis of ur comparisons to me ?
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:58pm On Nov 17, 2011
aribisala0:

has christianity been a help or hindrance in achieving this unity??
Neither a help nor a hinderance, as far as I can tell.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aribisala0(m): 12:16am On Nov 18, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Why use them as an example at all? They don't exemplify the 'Igbo situation' in any way, other than the fact that we are apparently lodged here in this construct called Nigeria. A better example would have been the Ibibio groups, and even the Ijo sef, but never Yoruba and Hausa.

Why even look for a reference to begin with? Can people's points not stand in their own right?
Chinenye my friend ,i sense irritation in your response. from an anthropology perspective i think the "in any way" is a bit harsh grin. all humans have something in common smiley.
  i think the concept of Chi is very similar though not identical to the concept of Ori and there are those who claim our languages have the same root.
regarding referencing others it is a very old practice  sometimes good sometimes bad but is part of human history e.g.
1 Samuel 8:5-7

King James Version (KJV)

5And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations.

6But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the LORD.

anyway

the whole YORUBA thing never really existed before the Europeans came, even the dominant Oyo language was called Anago Not Yoruba.  and the apparent unity is a way of surviving in this prison Nigeria.
Of course we all want to learn about our Umunna across the Niger cheesy
someone talked about bringing yorubas to their knees. why such hate??
one day you will wake up and realize how much we love you grin
that is our secret; love!
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by Abagworo(m): 12:38am On Nov 18, 2011
@NRI PRIEST.You are hell bent on this land drag issue and in that process displaying my exact problem for starting the thread.Abam and Ohafia can fight over land but they regard themselves as the same people even amidst their differences.You need to see Onitsha people as equal to you as Igbos even with the Land grab issues.

I have read where people claim Nri came from Israel.So Nri could also be called settlers only that they probably settled earlier than Onitsha.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ezeagu(m): 12:53am On Nov 18, 2011
Abagworo:

I have read where people claim Nri came from Israel.So Nri could also be called settlers only that they probably settled earlier than Onitsha.

That;s if the original people still exist, otherwise we'll be calling a lot of people a lot of settlers.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aljharem3: 1:10am On Nov 18, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Alh harem, u are a complete hypocrite!! So, you rebuked some Igbos here for using yoruba groups to comparison in relation to Igbo groups set up but you are quick to point that just like Onicha folks had settled in Anambra lands there are Igbos that settled in lagos!! What a man of dignity !! For your info. Igbos did not settle in lagos but simply went there to work!! They worked their hands to the bones,bought lands from the Aworis and built their houses and businesses. I have never seen an Igbo man in lagos fighting over a land that he didnt buy with his hard earned money!
Onicha people on the other settled in another mans land,got accepted cause they were our brothers but they went ahead and device a plot to steal lands that belong to their neighbor who accepted them after they were chased out by the Benins who knew they were Igbos and aint Benins. Even though the insecure lots considered Benin as their acenstral home.
So, Alh harem describe the basis of your comparisons to me ?

dude I was just trying to point out to you your mistakes, and how to think of things if you really want this Igbo unity to work.

I have meant some anambra folk in fact lived in anambra and spoke to them, I must admit there is a sense of superiority complex to there fellow Igbos. ( I know some would think I am trying to cause discord)

You see, I am an outsider and a settler in Ala igbo back then and in anambra i meant some igbos from different states in the south east.

ok

Anambra [/b]people to me are seen as the superior Igbos and even the people make it know to us outsiders by using words like core-igbo, real-igbo etc. [b]Also they believe they are the ones carrying the igbo cause. thus an anambra man(quote me on this again) is likely to be more friendly to an Yoruba man or an aboki than to lets say delta igbo or imo

why you ask :- Because as they believe in ranking and believe they push the igbo cause and on the same level with the Yoruba or aboki man in both sophistication and politically.

Abia - they have a lot of inferiority complex and feel threaten by anyone or group. they live in past glories. They also believe they should be where anambra igbos are on. They LOVE being part of larger groups and a sense of direction which is similar to the anambras.

ebonyi- they are more or less the quite ones, Infact it is rare to see an ebonyi man in the 3 core igbo states.

Imo - This is the truth and I would say it as it is. IMO PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE OF NIGERIA ARE THE NICES PEOPLE YOU CAN EVER MEET. even better than gwari people (northerners would know this) . Imo people are a blessing to Nigeria not to lie. All the Imo people I have met In lagos, anambra, abuja, port harcourt etc have NEVER had any hint of tribalism or superiority complex. In fact talk to an Imo man, the way he is cool calm and collected, truthfully you would love the igbo culture.

Enugu- this are the ones that bring the live and let live mentality to us. They exhibit hints of superiority complex at times but not as much as Abia and Anambra. The enugu man would rather listen and learn but knows what he wants to do in his heart. He would not talk much, they are also very pedantic in there approach to things.

Now people would say I want to cause discord or hate between brethering but I believe once you understand yourselves and see how people look at this then i believe you can correct yourselves.

You see maybe you do not see this characteristics in urselves but WE see it. I know some would call me a tribalist for this as well given my past reputation

Lastly, I would like to point out that as Andre Uweh and rightly said, THERE IS NO GROUP THAT DOES NOT GO THROUGH THIS YES EVEN IN THE CORE NORTHERN STATES. but it only becomes a problem if things like this are taken to heart or it is hindering the progress of the people.

I would love to see a day were I would hear one Igbo dialect, and a well unified igbo, yoruba and hausa, internally and Nigeria at large. DON'T TRY TO BE A GROUP YOU ARE NOT, TRY AND WORK LIKE THE WAY YOU PEOPLE ARE BUILT ON, DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELVES TO OTHERS.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by odumchi: 1:20am On Nov 18, 2011
Let's stop this and stop deceiving ourselves once and for all. If this is what you learned after so many years in Anambra, then I fear that your time there might have been wasted.
There's no such thing as core Igbo. An Anambra Igbo is just as Igbo as an Igbo from Akwa Ibom or Ebonyi and vise versa. I don't understand where you are pulling this from. It really baffles me.

What you're doing is nothing more than sowing the seeds of division. A term like "core Igbo" suggests that there are other people who are less Igbo than others and this isn't true. I'm guessing you don't know what the definition of "Igbo" is. Igbo is not a single block entity but a group.

First of all tell me where you see an inferiority complex in Abia state people or how Ebonyi people are quiet. Ebonyi state is
Perhaps the smallest (in population) of the South Eastern States. Despite this, People from Abakaliki, Afikpo and other places are abundant.

Please let's not fall for this divide and conquer method.

alj_harem:

dude I was just trying to point out to you your mistakes, and how to think of things if you really want this Igbo unity to work.

I have meant some anambra folk in fact lived in anambra and spoke to them, I must admit there is a sense of superiority complex to there fellow Igbos. ( I know some would think I am trying to cause discord)

You see, I am an outsider and a settler in Ala igbo back then and in anambra i meant some igbos from different states in the south east.

ok

Anambra [/b]people to me are seen as the superior Igbos and even the people make it know to us outsiders by using words like core-igbo, real-igbo etc. [b]Also they believe they are the ones carrying the igbo cause. thus an anambra man(quote me on this again) is likely to be more friendly to an Yoruba man or an aboki than to lets say delta igbo or imo

why you ask :- Because as they believe in ranking and believe they push the igbo cause and on the same level with the Yoruba or aboki man in both sophistication and politically.

Abia - they have a lot of inferiority complex and feel threaten by anyone or group. they live in past glories. They also believe they should be where anambra igbos are on. They LOVE being part of larger groups and a sense of direction which is similar to the anambras.

ebonyi- they are more or less the quite ones, Infact it is rare to see an ebonyi man in the 3 core igbo states.

Imo - This is the truth and I would say it as it is. IMO PEOPLE IN THE WHOLE OF NIGERIA ARE THE NICES PEOPLE YOU CAN EVER MEET. even better than gwari people (northerners would know this) . Imo people are a blessing to Nigeria not to lie. All the Imo people I have met In lagos, anambra, abuja, port harcourt etc have NEVER had any hint of tribalism or superiority complex. In fact talk to an Imo man, the way he is cool calm and collected, truthfully you would love the igbo culture.

Enugu- this are the ones that bring the live and let live mentality to us. They exhibit hints of superiority complex at times but not as much as Abia and Anambra. The enugu man would rather listen and learn but knows what he wants to do in his heart. He would not talk much, they are also very pedantic in there approach to things.

Now people would say I want to cause discord or hate between brethering but I believe once you understand yourselves and see how people look at this then i believe you can correct yourselves.

You see maybe you do not see this characteristics in urselves but WE see it. I know some would call me a tribalist for this as well given my past reputation

Lastly, I would like to point out that as Andre Uweh and rightly said, THERE IS NO GROUP THAT DOES NOT GO THROUGH THIS YES EVEN IN THE CORE NORTHERN STATES. but it only becomes a problem if things like this are taken to heart or it is hindering the progress of the people.

I would love to see a day were I would hear one Igbo dialect, and a well unified igbo, yoruba and hausa, internally and Nigeria at large. DON'T TRY TO BE A GROUP YOU ARE NOT, TRY AND WORK LIKE THE WAY YOU PEOPLE ARE BUILT ON, DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELVES TO OTHERS.
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by aribisala0(m): 1:24am On Nov 18, 2011
i am sorry alhaji harem i think this is really a lot of rubbish. i am quite different from all my mother's sons and there is much variation in my family alone not to talk of our town. every group has its own share of
hardworkers
lunatic
and scoundrels.
unfortunately it is the nature of humans to put people in boxes but reality is very different.
there is more intra-group than inter-group variation
the only people that believe such rubbish are people that have never travelled. recently i found out that many black South Africans have the idea that Nigerians smell
Re: Are Igbos Culturally Fused ? by ezeagu(m): 1:29am On Nov 18, 2011
alj_harem:

ok

I hope you know that these are states that you're talking about, and not Igbo ethnic groups, and that Igbo people (the real ones anyway) base their generalisations and cultural affiliation on town and ethnicity, instead of 20 year old states?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Amuses You The Most About Nigerians? / what's the difference between ibo and Igbo? / Igbo And Yoruba Women Who Has Best Way Of Dressing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.