Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,186 members, 7,815,140 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema (32142 Views)

NAMA Explains Why Some Airlines Are Avoiding Nigeria’s Airspace / Airpeace: Onyema On Board As Flight Attendant In Training (Video, Photo) / Major Blow For Foreign Airlines As FG Shuts Abuja, Lagos Airport In A Few Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by LegendHero(m): 9:06pm On Apr 09
DeLaRue:

The only way they can do so meaningfully is by subsidising tickets.

That'll be impossible.

I won’t agree to subsidizing him. That will be going back to square one.

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by LegendHero(m): 9:07pm On Apr 09
helinues:

In business, you put the prosperity of your business first before the consumers..

Air peace should have known from the start that they can't compete with those foreign airlines whether monetarily or by connection, why starting something can't finish when him no be Finidi George?
That’s true.

Let’s see how the game goes.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by IbnB: 9:07pm On Apr 09
helinues:

Is it Chinese that are aiding the foreign airlines to be forming monopoly in Nigeria?

It's not a monopoly, it's a cartel
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by helinues: 9:07pm On Apr 09
LegendHero:

I see your angle. You’re talking through Airpeace and I am talking through the final consumer.

But I think the only mistake Airpeace made was that “They did not do end-to-end research of the effect of their strategy.

Let’s see how they go about this.

@ emboldened, exactly
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by helinues: 9:09pm On Apr 09
IbnB:

It's not a monopoly, it's a cartel

Cartels won't Even allow others to operate at all
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by ryloy: 9:09pm On Apr 09
LegendHero:

You’re right but I’ve never thought about that.

It is neither profitable nor liquid....it is just fanciful with a lot of risks

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Leo34rf(f): 9:09pm On Apr 09
Alex should increase his price back to the exhorbitant price other airlines were charging. Nigerians especially the ones on Naira land are very foolish and ungrateful people not worth losing your business over.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by ryloy: 9:12pm On Apr 09
Leo34rf:
Alex should increase his price back to what other airlines were charging. Nigerians especially the ones on Naira land are very foolish and ungrateful people not worth losing your business over.

That means he's already out of business . He doesn't control the market

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by IbnB: 9:13pm On Apr 09
helinues:

Cartels won't Even allow others to operate at all

You're wrong bro, your association of that term with the narcotics industry is too strong. Cartels exist outside of the drug business

5 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by mobisonkk2: 9:13pm On Apr 09
I wrote here in caps that airpeace will not be able to compete with those sharks. Like I earlier said, first to do no dey vex.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by helinues: 9:15pm On Apr 09
IbnB:

You're wrong bro, your association of that term with the narcotics industry is too strong. Cartels exist outside of the drug business

Not in professional business line like aviation. Monopoly should be the right word

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Jogs1900: 9:15pm On Apr 09
I pity air peace but he should know this will happen... Government can give air peace a kinda reduced tax on that route.Without government intervention, Air peace cant survive operating on that route.
Better still , air peace should introduce Owerri to Lagos to London route, Enugu to Lagos to London route or pharcourt to Lagos to London route..Virgin is doing the same in the UK by introducing Manchester to London to Lagos route.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by IbnB: 9:17pm On Apr 09
LegendHero:

That dude cannot play the game with them. They have more financial muscle.

Infact No Nigeria airline will be able to play that game. Maybe if Dangote has an airline shar, he will compete.

How low can they afford to stay, and for how long? This is where the advantage of a national carrier comes into play but we Nigerians are too greedy and indisciplined to run a government business

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Jogs1900: 9:19pm On Apr 09
ryloy:

True...If he start charging the same fare as British airways or Virgin, Nigerians will prefer the foreign airlines because those airlines will offer better services and most passengers will prefer Heathrow to Gatwick.

I don't know how he will now run to the government that he said denied him to help him.

Why can't Airpeace introduce Enugu to Lagos to London route or Owerri to Lagos to London route.
I know Virgin did the same in the Uk to capture Manchester market.

You can book Virgin from Manchester to Lagos with a stopover in Heathrow..

Air peace needs to be creative here and improve their services.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Leo34rf(f): 9:19pm On Apr 09
ryloy:

I like the way Tinubu and Dangote is dealing with Nigerians. They know Nigerians are ungrateful and unpatriotic people.

6 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Leo34rf(f): 9:21pm On Apr 09
Jogs1900:

True...If he start charging the same fare as British airways or Virgin, Nigerians will prefer the foreign airlines because those airlines will offer better services and most passengers will prefer Heathrow to Gatwick.

I don't know how he will now run to the government that he said denied him to help him.

The government can frustrate the foreign airlines by not giving them their dollars. That's one way to run them out of business or frustrate them like before.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by IbnB: 9:23pm On Apr 09
helinues:

Not in professional business line like aviation. Monopoly should be the right word

Monopoly = singular, cartel = plural

How many business entities were involved again?

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by mrvitalis(m): 9:24pm On Apr 09
garfield1:

How can you utter such
I'm a capitalist... It's a free market if he can't compete he should fold up

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by muhammaduyusufu: 9:27pm On Apr 09
Leo34rf:
Alex should increase his price back to the exhorbitant price other airlines were charging. Nigerians especially the ones on Naira land are very foolish and ungrateful people not worth losing your business over.
Wetin concern Nairaland. Most of his customers on London route probably don't know that something called Nairaland exists.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by muhammaduyusufu: 9:28pm On Apr 09
Jogs1900:
I pity air peace but he should know this will happen... Government can give air peace a kinda reduced tax to air peace on that route.
Then other local companies and businesses would also demand for a tax break as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by PressMyButton: 9:29pm On Apr 09
He wants government to make Airpeace a national carrier yet he couldn't compete. What a joke!

6 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by flokii: 9:34pm On Apr 09
I don't think all these so called foreign airlines can go and misbehave in Niger republic or Burkina Faso the way they are doing in Nigeria.

Minister Keyamo should wake up and slam multi-billion dollas fine on all of them,the ones that can't pay should pack and leave, not as if they are useful like that.

So if Air peace didn't join the international route, the foreign rascals called airlines would have kept on extorting millions from Nigerians using dollar rate as excuse.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by socialmediaman: 9:42pm On Apr 09
mrvitalis:

Oga it's business compete or fold

That’s what he’s doing. Media statements like this are part of it. Perhaps if he highlights to people that they have to wait at Addis Ababa airport the whole day they’ll think twice

How are companies like Apple able to build a cult-like following over more expensive products?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by missjekyll: 9:49pm On Apr 09
Don't worry. I ll be flying Air Peace so long as I get great service. Well-done

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Stephench: 9:50pm On Apr 09
helinues:

The airliners are competitors not enemies. There are several ways Air peace could have gone about it.

Those foreign airlines also have a way of reaching out to each other. How did all of them just dropped their price if not that they might have consulted each other
Yeah, several ways by not slashing the price and people like you will be the first to complain how a Nigerian company is joining foreign airlines to fleece Nigerians

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by heniford2: 9:51pm On Apr 09
Air peace said he has sold out tickets till September so he should relax when he September reach he will crash it down to 300 then e go balance

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by blacknp(m): 9:53pm On Apr 09
LegendHero:
The government needs to find a way to step in to help.

Either we also flood the market with multiple Nigeria airlines flying that route so they too can gang up, or government find a way to support Airpeace one way or the other.

I’m sure when these foreign airline success and Airpeace run out of capacity to deliver, they will increase the price back and we go back to square one.
I thought all the sits on that route had been sold out till September, wetin come be the wailing, abi September 2024 done already reach?

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by blacknp(m): 9:58pm On Apr 09
flokii:
I don't think all these so called foreign airlines can go and misbehave in Niger republic or Burkina Faso the way they are doing in Nigeria.

Minister Keyamo should wake up and slam multi-billion dollas fine on all of them,the ones that can't pay should pack and leave, not as if they are useful like that.

So if Air peace didn't join the international route, the foreign rascals called airlines would have kept on extorting millions from Nigerians using dollar rate as excuse.
In all honesty, you are not making any sense whatsoever

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by CrossRhodes: 9:59pm On Apr 09
mrvitalis:

Oga it's business compete or fold
If he folds, nigerians start paying X4 again

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by mrvitalis(m): 9:59pm On Apr 09
CrossRhodes:

He can restart again

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by CrossRhodes: 10:01pm On Apr 09
PressMyButton:
He wants government to make Airpeace a national carrier yet he couldn't compete. What a joke!
How far with you Nigeria air, ndi uchu

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by blacknp(m): 10:01pm On Apr 09
CrossRhodes:

Air Peace brought the price down, they brought theirs lower, now you lot are complaining?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

10 Features Of Akwa Ibom New International Airport Terminal Building / FRSC Officers Cause Accident In Ibadan, 3 Dead (Photos) / [PHOTOS]The Amazing Kajuru Castle Of Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.