Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema (32136 Views)

NAMA Explains Why Some Airlines Are Avoiding Nigeria’s Airspace / Airpeace: Onyema On Board As Flight Attendant In Training (Video, Photo) / Major Blow For Foreign Airlines As FG Shuts Abuja, Lagos Airport In A Few Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by ogbe88(m): 12:29pm On Apr 10
seunmsg:

Government can’t keep subsidizing everything. Air Peace is a private business and they must find a way to survive competition. Arik was flying straight to London Heathrow before they were out-priced by foreign airlines.

The only way Air Peace can survive the price war is to appeal to the sentiments of Nigerians. They must make all Nigerians see Air peace as a national brand that is serving the interest of all Nigerians and whose survival depends on the patronage of Nigerians against harsh foreign competitors.

Sadly, they mismanaged the fallout of their maiden flight by allowing Obidients ethnicize the narrative. The Igbo pushback and the massive insults against Yoruba people because some very few people on twitter suggested that the dressing of the hostess should reflect a united Nigeria identity as against an ethnic group was unnecessary. President Tinubu and Keyamo were not spared in the insult. Now, how will they change the narrative?
This idiot again.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by AbujaCitiBlog: 12:29pm On Apr 10
mrvitalis:

Oga it's business compete or fold
This is why they said blacks are cursed with foolishness. Most of you your education is completely useless and worthless.

This is exactly how the Chinese operate. They don't mind selling at a loss to get rid of a competitor. And this is why they succeed in Africa. In America or Europe that won't happen. They will because of National pride fly their own airlines to defeat foreign invaders.

Some of you do not understand the nature of economic war.

THIS IS ECONOMIC WAR!

If not for air peace, most of these airlines would change 10 million for certain flights. Now that a Nigerian is bold enough to break their power, they are now trying to push him out and just like an idiot you are supporting them.

The only reason Airpeace raised alarm is to raise national consciousness about this. And get Nigerians to continue supporting his airline.

If these criminals succeed in muscling airpeace out of the market, they will go back and set the price at 10 million per ticket and idiots like you will still complain after being used to destroy your own national airline.

Get your head out of your ass, think for a moment and do the right thing.

This is how a Nigerian brand Globacom broke the monopoly of MTN and Airtel. We pay for calls per second today because Globacom. Learn to understand how business works. Mugu!

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by pafun(m): 12:30pm On Apr 10
DeLaRue:
The Nigerian market has been so lucrative for foreign airlines for so many years, they'll even price at a loss in order to get rid of Airpeace.

Nigerians should keep flying Airpeace.

People should realise that if our economy improve massively in the coming years, Nigeria will become the biggest aviation market in Africa.

Foreign airlines know this so they will play a patient game.

They also know they can afford to make loses on the route because they have deep pockets. Airpeace may mot be able to match them if the prices go too low.

We need like 2 more Nigerian airlines to get into the Lagos - London fray. Local airlines with very deep pockets to challenge the foreign airlines.

Mr Dangote...are you not interested

So I should insist on buying at 1000$ even though someone else offers me for 700$ Because I want to buy Nigeria? Let me first consult ifa.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Harddiskng(m): 12:38pm On Apr 10
Shantyken:

If u get money to compete with dangote u are free na

Lol do you know how many had the money and how Dangote industries employed political power and underhand tactics to put them under.

The stories are online..
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by ogbe88(m): 12:39pm On Apr 10
affable4:

On whose side are you really? Air peace should have joined them to keep exploiting Nigerians? Your line of thoughts shows you have nothing to do with flying, just to type what you feel without reason.
If you have ever paid 5m for a flight that was supposed to be about 1m, you wouldn’t be spilling rubbish for likes.
The idiot u quoted is a fool for life.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Originalsly: 12:41pm On Apr 10
stagger:

Maybe you don't know how the $3,500 bond imposed by the UK government on Nigerian inbound travellers under Captain Demuren's tenure as Head of NCAA was shelved. Demuren showed them shege. Government can and should get involved when the need arises.

FG responded to a move by the UK government. This is private business competition . The only way the FG can get involved in this matter is to bring up collusion charges ... the other airlines conspired to price Air Peace out of business.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Oghene86: 12:43pm On Apr 10
AmotekunSW:

I doubt if you've ever flown Ethiopian before.

You want someone to leave an Air Peace direct flight for a useless Ethiopian that that will dump you in Ethiopia where there's a war going on for one yeye 6 hours transit stop.

I have, so why is Air peace complaining, they can always justify the reason for the difference.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by MT: 12:50pm On Apr 10
ryloy:

This is the time Nigerians need to show patriotism irrespective of tribes.

Air Peace needs us to stand by it irrespective of how cheap foreign airlines is.

These foreign airlines have been ripping us off by locking cheap tickets. They suddenly turn father xmas pushing cheap tickets into our faces.

Air Peace won't request dollars in exchange of naira from CBN for ticket sales.

I am a Yoruba man and if you love Nigeria, Air Peace needs all of us.

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by luminouz(m): 12:50pm On Apr 10
helinues:

The airliners are competitors not enemies. There are several ways Air peace could have gone about it.

Those foreign airlines also have a way of reaching out to each other. How did all of them just dropped their price if not that they might have consulted each other
You are dull sha!!! Your arguments make no sense at all.
So your competitor is not your enemy abi? What are they, your blood relatives?

How in hell are you supposed to consult your enemies before you bring your your own price? Makes no sense!!!

They all dropped their price because HE DROPPED HIS!!! No consultation involved

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by surgical: 1:04pm On Apr 10
pafun:

So I should insist on buying at 1000$ even though someone else offers me for 700$ Because I want to buy Nigeria? Let me first consult ifa.
without the person offering you $1000,you would have been paying $3500 instead of $700 ,you need to keep the $1000 man in business so that the $700 man will continue to remain low otherwise it goes back to where he was coming from it is called enlighten self interest you don't need to like the$1000 man

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by MT: 1:06pm On Apr 10
pafun:

This is how you will kill your country.

That gain of 300 USD, the whites will still take it back from you in multiple folds.

When they kill Air Peace on that route, they will jack up the ticket price to the extent that they will recoup all their losses.

What does it take to be patriotic? Why do we find it hard in this country?

We should be thinking of making the route less lucrative for these foreign airliners to the extent they will leave the route. You will see more Nigerian billionaires springing up with airlines to ply the route.

Why do we have to support foreign airlines that will be depleting our foreign reserves at every point in time, and Nigerians are quick to demand 1USD to be equal to 200 Naira.

How can this be with our unpatriotic attitude?

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by naijamerican: 1:24pm On Apr 10
helinues:

In business, you put the prosperity of your business first before the consumers..

Air peace should have known from the start that they can't compete with those foreign airlines whether monetarily or by connection, why starting something can't finish when him no be Finidi George?
Africans are very dumb. This is a clear example
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by fxexperts: 1:25pm On Apr 10
ryloy:
Yes, that is how businesses work, Competition is good for Nigerians
In the short term yes, but on the long run no? but too bad Africans can't see beyond their nose. they are always drawn to the short-term gain more than the long-term ones.

mrvitalis:

Well a foolish statement i must say.

agabusta:
It's good we have Airpeace competing with the foreign airlines.

But Airpeace should man up and stop all this victimhood.
This is just like a father who sees his two-year-old planning a fighter with a renowned heavy weight fighter and he is happy saying it is a good thing his son is competing with heavy weights already at the age, not realizing the heavy weights champions have ulterior motives to send that two year old out of the world. you are like that father I suppose.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by fxexperts: 1:45pm On Apr 10
LegendHero:

You are also right about this.

But I think Aipeace is bold for pushing it through without consulting them. He wouldn’t have been able to slash that price that much if he indeed consulted them..

Actions bring consequences. But I think he should have done a market research to see the effect of his action. So like that, he will have his checkup plan to counter these big airlines.

Government should step in and find a way to support one way or the other.

It is a win-win situation for Nigerians either way.
In the short term yes, it is a win win situation, but on the long run it is not. but I support your suggestion for the government to step in to support Air peace, i think that is the only way they can survive the competition, else they are toast.

Slytiger:

It's business. Nothing else. It happens all over the world.

E.g. A new mobile phone company comes in and offers cheaper prices, a bigger one like Verizon or T-Mobile offers either under priced them in the same market for a period, or even buys them out completely. It's a dog eat dog world. It happens in all industries that you can think of.
You are right, but think deeper. do you think government all around the world do not support their domestic companies against foreign competitions. Because if the domestic companies fail the government fail and it will affect the government one way or another. do you know how much those foreign airlines blackmailed the government during Buhari tenure and now Tinubu is borrowing to pay back those funds the foreign airline claims the government owe them. would that have happened if those airline company like Emirate were locate airline. do you know how much the Tinubu is currently paying in debt to those same foreign airlines, why not make your domestic airline to thrive and stop subsidizing those foreign airlines and let airline repatriate FX back to Nigeria to help boost the exchange rate in Favour of Naira. win win situation for everyone in Nigeria.

DeLaRue:

The only way they can do so meaningfully is by subsidising tickets.

That'll be politically impossible.

You can't deny Okada man fuel subsidy and turn round to subsidise millionaires travelling abroad.
You do not need to see it that way. as it stands government has to intervene to save air peace because it is a domestic airline. it can come in the form of a tax waiver on tickets for every Nigerian who buys ticket to the UK and in turn an increase tax on the foreign airlines. trust me those foreign airlines pays less tax than their counterparts from other nations on the same route. like i can tell you British airways are more like to pay more taxes when flying passengers from Saudi to any other countries, while Emirate airways might be operating tax waivers on same trip from the Saudi Arabia government. at least the Saudi government owns Emirate airways. so you know.
Our problem in this country is we are all too selfish and unpatriotic. it always has to be about self self all the time and we fail to think about the bigger picture.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by 123papas(m): 1:46pm On Apr 10
helinues:

My point is, the foreign airlines are pulling strings in Nigeria aviation through Nigerians
Buy naija, grow the naira

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by 123papas(m): 1:48pm On Apr 10
pafun:

Why did govt ban importation of some products so as to let support local manufacturers
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by frog12: 1:51pm On Apr 10
someone said this already. those airlines have more money than Air Peace. I don't know how government go protect Air Peace.

Dem don silence ARIK already.

ryloy:
Yes, that is how businesses work, Competition is good for Nigerians
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Emanodimo(m): 1:54pm On Apr 10
As a layman in the airline industry, Air peace action and reactions that follows suit has just exposed the industry as one that tend to milk Nigerians, taking undue advantage.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Kingspin(m): 1:58pm On Apr 10
mrvitalis:

This one that doesn't know airport road
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by STYCNig(m): 2:02pm On Apr 10
Fellow Nigerians, if we know how things work outside Nigeria, we will probably not support our oppressors in any guise of deceit of trying to make things better or cheaper !

1. Airline business is a global business regulated by International body!
2. You can't domesticate Airline business as a non global business with sentiments
3. You can't create or build local bureaucracy against foreign Airline service providers, pushing them out of your domestic routes, then try to do same on international routes - they will cripple you big time.
4. I see that rather than playing transparent competition, Naija Airline operators tries to use the same nepotism they used against foreign Airlines for them to exit our domestic routes so they can practice their oppressive monopoly on International routes! They might exit your domestic routes for you, but so long as International routes is 90% regulated by international body, those nepotism can never work.
5. If cement biz, rice biz and other commodities were to be as Airline biz, Nigeria will buy it more cheaper.

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT
1. Cabin crew staff were earning higher with more safety and risk packages when we had foreign airline operators in our local routes with less expensive air ticket than what they are earning now with those who claim to make air ticket cheaper?

2. How would one explain that an average American buys air ticket at $300 (less than 2days wage bill), while an average Nigerian needs his 3months salary to buy one hour distance journey by air? Isn't this barbaric? - yet they claim they're trying to make it cheaper!

IF WE KNOW HOW GOOD THINGS LOOK LIKE, WE WILL PROBABLY NOT ACCUSE OTHERS!
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Kingspin(m): 2:05pm On Apr 10
helinues:
Toh

Next time, don't start what you can't finish.

Sebi some people dey talk say Air peace consulting other airlines na nonsense.

Oya now. Let the flight fee continues, win-win for the travelers
So what stops other airlines from reducing air tickets for years? So they want to punish/scam Nigerian travelers deliberately.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Dynamicboss: 2:10pm On Apr 10
So it’s true foreign airline has dropped the price of tickets significantly. The attached image shows it for British airways. Qatar airways for one way around April 22 is N750k against N2.1m, 3 weeks ago.

The competition is crazy mehn

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Alexrh: 2:29pm On Apr 10
What happen to our local flight, why is the price still up ?
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Alexrh: 2:29pm On Apr 10
They are using local money to fund international flight ✈️
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by pafun(m): 2:40pm On Apr 10
123papas:

Why did govt ban importation of some products so as to let support local manufacturers

It is wrong to ban importation of anything. Tax importation and not ban. That is my view.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by iykmon: 2:43pm On Apr 10
One issue faced by Airpeace is the absence of connecting flights on the return journey from London to Nigeria. For instance, foreign travelers going from London to Ghana via Nigerian airspace would need a Nigerian visa to continue to Ghana due to the lack of facilities for connecting flights at our airports, potentially resulting in the loss of such customers. Airpeace primarily caters to customers whose final destination is London, missing out on those needing onward connections. Our government plays a crucial role in addressing this challenge by overseeing the redesign of major airports such as Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, and Kano. Similar limitations have been obstacles for other Nigerian flag carriers operating international routes.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by pafun(m): 2:54pm On Apr 10
MT:

This is how you will kill your country.

That gain of 300 USD, the whites will still take it back from you in multiple folds.

When they kill Air Peace on that route, they will jack up the ticket price to the extent that they will recoup all their losses.

What does it take to be patriotic? Why do we find it hard in this country?

We should be thinking of making the route less lucrative for these foreign airliners to the extent they will leave the route. You will see more Nigerian billionaires springing up with airlines to ply the route.

Why do we have to support foreign airlines that will be depleting our foreign reserves at every point in time, and Nigerians are quick to demand 1USD to be equal to 200 Naira.

How can this be with our unpatriotic attitude?

I will not debate this on Nairaland. How many Nigerians are affected by this air fare thing to care which way it goes ? I have not done international flight in nearly 3 years so how the ting take concern me? Kindly remind me again:
1. What mobile are you using? MTN probably
2. What is your favorite cable TV ? DSTV probably
3. What football interests you most? European probably
4. What are your favorite fashion accessories ? imported probably
5. Your favorite foods? Foreign probably
etc. etc.
So how will it give Nigeria sleepless nights if Air Peace is in price battle with other airlines? They should also cut their prices and apply to government for subsidy... if they qualify. That is the intelligent way to do things.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by pafun(m): 2:59pm On Apr 10
surgical:
without the person offering you $1000,you would have been paying $3500 instead of $700 ,you need to keep the $1000 man in business so that the $700 man will continue to remain low otherwise it goes back to where he was coming from it is called enlighten self interest you don't need to like the$1000 man

Only a lvnatic will follow that advice...and that is my own enlightened self-interest.
Otherwise, let the 1000$ man come and show me that he is not also ripping me off.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Jogs1900: 3:08pm On Apr 10
Leo34rf:

The government can frustrate the foreign airlines by not giving them their dollars. That's one way to run them out of business or frustrate them like before.
Nigerians will suffer...Only Airpeace can't fly to all these foreign destinations.FG can't give BA or Virgin their fund without giving KLM
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Emco1: 3:46pm On Apr 10
mrvitalis:

oga it's been most of you guys intentions . Compete or fold.
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Emco1: 3:47pm On Apr 10
LegendHero:
The government needs to find a way to step in to help.

Either we also flood the market with multiple Nigeria airlines flying that route so they too can gang up, or government find a way to support Airpeace one way or the other.

I’m sure when these foreign airline success and Airpeace run out of capacity to deliver, they will increase the price back and we go back to square one.
some people don't know that
Re: Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema by Jogs1900: 3:54pm On Apr 10
Sapasenator:

"The airliners are competitors not enemies. There are several ways Air peace could have gone about it."

Can you give one example of the several ways Air Peace could have done it?

I am waiting?
Airpeace can introduce Enugu to London flight, pharcourt to London flight and even Kano to London flight...This is a way to capture travellers from these states instead of them disembarking in Lagos or Abuja before boarding to London.
These flights will be routed through Lagos to join air peace flight from Lagos to London.

I know Virgin does the same in the uk by capturing Manchester...You can book from Manchester to Lagos but the itinerary is usually Manchester to London to Lagos.

I think air peace should be innovative here.They shouldn't allow their airlines to have any ethnic coloration.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

10 Features Of Akwa Ibom New International Airport Terminal Building / FRSC Officers Cause Accident In Ibadan, 3 Dead (Photos) / [PHOTOS]The Amazing Kajuru Castle Of Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.