Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court (28175 Views)

EFCC Arrests Two Chinese Men For Offering N100 Million Bribe In Cash [PHOTOS] / Why I Collected N370k Settlement From My Daughter’s HIV+ Rapist - Dad / I Collected N15,000, Says Vigilante Who Trafficked Schoolgirl To Burkina Faso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Kuginzi: 5:57am On Apr 13

Explains how he picked up $1m, $850,000, $750,000, $400,000 for ex-CBN gov

…says Emefiele never rewarded him, case adjourned to April 29

A dispatch rider, Monday Osazuwa, on Friday, narrated to the Special Offences Court in Lagos how the embattled former Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Godwin Emefiele, instructed him on different occasions to collect the sum of $3m cash in tranches.

Osazuwa, who was led in evidence in chief by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), told the court that he had been a dispatch rider at Zenith Bank since 2001, before joining the CBN as a contract staff member in 2014.

The witness said Emefiele was the Managing Director of Zenith Bank while he worked there as a dispatch rider.

According to Osazuwa, he knew Emefiele, who was his boss while in Zenith Bank, before he later joined him in the CBN.

The witness, who testified before Justice Raman Oshodi, said he was later appointed as a senior supervisor (full-time) in charge of recording and filing documents while working in the CBN Governor’s office in Lagos.

Osazuwa said, “I was still working in the governor’s office when I was appointed a full-time staff member, and we usually communicated through WhatsApp and email.

"I performed as a senior supervisor, recording and filing with other official roles.

“I could recall that, in 2020, when he was outside Lagos, Emefiele called me and gave me a number that a man had something I would collect from him, and that the man would give me the number of another person.

When I got to the man’s office, I was given an envelope. I counted the money (in it), and was told to give it to my boss.”

The witness further told the court that Emefiele usually collected money alone whenever he was in Lagos.

According to him, any time the defendant was not around, Emefiele would tell him (Osazuwa) to give the money to the second defendant, Henry Omoile.

Osazuwa added that Emefiele sent him to MINL Limited when he was with Zenith Bank.

He added, “This company is situated at Isolo. The first defendant(Emefiele) do send me to collect cheques from the company from Mr. Monday, and when I collect the cheque from Mr. Monday, I would give it back to Emefiele, and he would lodge the money into the account of Dummies Oil and Gas.”

Osazuwa further stated that Emefiele’s co-defendant, Henry Isioma-Omoile, lived in the residence of the former CBN governor.

He stated that when he collected money for his boss (Emefiele), he would take it to his residence at Iru Close, Ikoyi, Lagos.

"Whenever I received the money and took it to my boss’ residence, Mr Emefiele would tell me to give it to the second defendant (Omoile) whenever he was not home.

“I did not keep a record of the transactions, because he instructed me that I should collect the money and bring it to his house.

"I did not keep a record of the transactions, because he instructed me that I should collect the money and bring it to his house.

“The highest amount I collected was $1m, all in cash. Some weeks later, the businessman also called me, and I collected $850,000, $750,000, and $400,000 in cash in different tranches.

"I have never been rewarded, paid, or given anything. I was doing it out of faithfulness, and he knows it, but he never for once said, ‘Take this’,” the witness said.

While being cross-examined by the defence counsel, Mr. Abdulakeem Labi-Lawal, the witness confirmed to the court that he had been working with the defendant since 2002.

Earlier, Justice Oshodi had granted Emefiele bail in the sum of N50m.

He is being tried for alleged abuse of office and fraud to the tune of $4.5bn and N2.8bn.

The judge admitted Emefiele to N50m bail with two sureties in like sum.

He held that the sureties must be gainfully employed and have three years of tax payment with the Lagos State Government.

Oshodi also said that the sureties must show proper identification and be registered in the Lagos State Bail Management System.

The judge also said that he was satisfied with the bail conditions of N1m earlier granted to Emefiele’s co-defendant, Henry Isioma-Omoil, who is standing trial in another charge before Justice Olufunke Sule-Hamzat of the Yaba High Court.

Oshodi, however, said that the bail documents must be transferred to the Special Offences Court and registered in the Lagos State Bail Management System.

The EFCC arraigned Emefiele on Monday, April 8, on 23 counts bordering on abuse of office, accepting gratifications, corrupt demand, receiving property fraudulently obtained, and conferring corrupt advantage, while his co-defendant was arraigned on three counts bordering on acceptance of a gift by agents.

The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Justice Oshodi also refused an oral application for adjournment, which was moved twice by defence counsel, Labi-Lawal, to cross-examine the witness.

The judge adjourned the case till April 29, 2024, for trial and the hearing of an application for a closed section.

https://punchng.com/how-i-collected-dollars-in-cash-for-emefiele-dispatch-rider-tells-court/?amp

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Juliusganduje: 6:05am On Apr 13
Emefiele should rot in jail.

86 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Thundafireseun: 6:06am On Apr 13

The pressure all this people mounted on the dollars is what made the dollars rise through artificial scarcity…and yet they pretend as if they don’t know

157 Likes 14 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Skyfornia(m): 6:15am On Apr 13
How these guys loot without conscience is baffling

121 Likes 9 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by cenaman(m): 6:32am On Apr 13
The only crime of Emefiele is because he is Igbo....

15 Likes 18 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by emperor4love(m): 6:35am On Apr 13
Upon say he helped you and promoted u,u still snitch nd been a dispatch rider might not even hv certificate....na y rich don't help poor you can tell me wen emefiele appointed you ,u are not doing well

66 Likes 12 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by iCauseTrouble: 6:45am On Apr 13
Omo. This man really do Nigeria strong thing

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by oluwaseyi0: 6:46am On Apr 13
Didn't Emefiele have accomplice?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Stevenson20: 6:46am On Apr 13
At last this man will be free. This APC selective fight is just a jamboree and waste of time. Until they start fighting corruption no matter who's involved, that's when things will start working.
Ganduje's case, Beta Edu, Buhari, former humanitarian minister under Buhari, Akpabio etc has been swept under the carpet.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by ecomalchemistt(m): 6:47am On Apr 13
It is well.

Dispatch rider snitched on him real bad and Emefiele looted the treasury to the ground.

Part of the economic woes we facing as a country now

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Edoreborn: 6:47am On Apr 13
O ga oo

5 Likes

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by bigdammyj: 6:47am On Apr 13
Noted.

1 Like

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by gboyetade: 6:48am On Apr 13
Wonderful

3 Likes

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by zed7: 6:48am On Apr 13
Capital punishment should be the way to go for those looting common wealth. Let us learn from Vietnam.

Our leaders will never make reference to that punishment of the Vietnamese billionaire, they'll only compare how foreign presidents children follow them to travel abroad to justify their own foolishness.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by LordCenturion(m): 6:48am On Apr 13
This people will destroy their own motherland, then relocates their family to another land and they will become a citizens of those countries, some humans are wicked....

61 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Jayhome24: 6:48am On Apr 13
This Emefele or whatever need serious jail sentence.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by kenny714433(m): 6:49am On Apr 13
After those that have being baptised and initiated into Tinubu's gang of propaganda mongers will tell citizens "offload your dollars" bla bla bla.

They have forgotten all of a sudden that last election, Atiku was sharing dollar notes, Tinubu and his son have stolen more dollars than what all Nigerians holds.

Emergency lovers of Nigerians that supported Buhari for 8 years. Rubbish!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Badgers14: 6:49am On Apr 13
Emefiele's policy backed by Buhari led government gave Emilokan hard time during the election.. now they are in power.. they want to finish him grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Sheuns(m): 6:49am On Apr 13
The canary bird is crying because he was not offered “anything” for what he did for his boss.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by SecondAudio: 6:49am On Apr 13
Contact us for your best service delivery in CVs, SOPs, Cover Letters and other copy writing needs. It's your sure ticket to landing that dream job/admission/scholarship. We are a chat away...

1 Like

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by santaclaws: 6:49am On Apr 13
cenaman:

He's an Ika man from Agbor, Delta. They don't even see themselves as Igbo, so stop famzing 🙄

Before trying to paint it as an ethnic attack, is he innocent of the charges levelled against him? 🤔

Any little thing, all of you want to play the tribal and victim card. E no go work! 👹

90 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Kwaramustgoodag: 6:51am On Apr 13
U can imagine how they granted bail to criminal, but quickly sent bob to jail of 6 months. I don't know that court case always fast like this ooooo, until when it get to bob, not even up to a week.

7 Likes

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by meum: 6:53am On Apr 13
Hmmm. $1 million dollars via dispatch rider?

If Meffy used to drop for his boy he wouldn’t have sang this track or freestyle to this beat(s).

9 Likes

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Atarakpa: 6:53am On Apr 13
This nah lie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Bigframe: 6:53am On Apr 13
You are a mumuman! Indiscriminate looting na wa

2 Likes

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by RandomFellow: 6:53am On Apr 13
Snitch...

But Emefiele did wrong for not rewarding him! If he had given him tips or rewards (which he could do so well), this guy would have disappeared!

Imagine Emefiele gave the guy a bonus in form of a house, or when the guy brought cash, Emefiele said "how much is there?". The guy replies "850k sir". Then Emefiele says take 5k there, buy a car for your wife. Or he says "where do you live?". And the guy replies "Surulere". Emefiele says I have a house in Ikoyi, here's the Title Deed, I dash you. In this life and the next, the guy will worship Emefiele, and never snitch on him.

But no, Emefiele is the typical thief. Eat alone, die alone!

Tip that house help, security man, cleaner, office clerk, etc. You would be shocked at the amount of Valuable information the have to offer you (for free). Some of these info can even save your life!!!

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by femi4: 6:55am On Apr 13
Yet we dey run cashless policy under him

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Morbeta11(m): 6:56am On Apr 13
cenaman:
He is not Igbo please....he is Ika.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Whalis: 6:57am On Apr 13
So he was counting the money? This is pure lie.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by Slytiger: 6:58am On Apr 13
Badgers14:
Emefiele's policy backed by Buhari led government gave Emilokan hard time during the election.. now they are in power.. they want to finish him grin
Shey na dem talk say make he loot dollars and turn the CBN to his personal chequing account grin

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Collected Dollars In Cash For Emefiele, Dispatch Rider Tells Court by UselessBuharist: 6:58am On Apr 13
Karma go visit that dispatch rider, you can’t say he didn’t reward you handsomely

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Househelp Burns 8-Year-Old Boy In Lagos (Photos) / Policeman, Idowu Taiwo Assassinated In Ekiti State. Pictured / Kaduna: Alhaji Who Raised False Kidnap Alarm Leading To Lynching Of Man Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.