Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,977 members, 7,814,331 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance (29879 Views)

The Year Is Gradually Coming To An End. What Is Your Achievement? / My Marriage Of 10 Months Is Gradually Crashing / Help: My Father Is Killing My Mom Gradually (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Olorilolo(f): 8:52pm On Apr 15
Kobojunkie:
1. You can get the necessary treatment for that these days. Ask why Cataracts is no longer as big of a deal in developed countries. undecided

Abeg, stop offering silly reasons for crying out loud. These are all reasons why the Health system should be improved upon and not why a person should choose marriage abeg! Stop letting your ego do the talking for you without engaging your brain first. What woman would want to sign up for marriage given all of the reasons above? Na to run for her life she go wan do first. lipsrsealed
Well, it goes both ways. There's nothing silly about those reasons and my brain is fully engaged. If you run because of these, what if you end up needing them yourself.
Good healthcare or none, no one wants to experience what it means to be alone in old age.

Even in developed worlds, hospice is the last place anyone wants to be.
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Geovanni412(m): 8:54pm On Apr 15
Biglittlelois:

So your one colleague's marital issue is the basis to conclude that in all marriages, women are making men suffer in silence?

So many kids here......

Where did I say that in all marriages, women are making men suffer in silence ?

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by donbenie(m): 8:55pm On Apr 15
Chief661:
I disagree
Na your right to disagree..
Doesn't change the truth before our eyes..
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Kobojunkie: 8:56pm On Apr 15
Olorilolo:
■ Well, it goes both ways. There's nothing silly about those reasons and my brain is fully engaged. If you run because of these, what if you end up needing them yourself. Good healthcare or none, no one wants to experience what it means to be alone in old age. Even in developed worlds, hospice is the last place anyone wants to be.
First of all, let's stop lying abeg! Hospice is not the last place anymore as more and more people make plans ahead of time so that they can get the best care in their last days in many of these places. undecided

Second, most people are more than aware these days that chances are slim to none that another human being would go out of their way to show them that level of kindness even in marriage. Go ask the many who were abandoned by the so-called love of their life in marriage after falling ill. So, again, it makes better sense to argue for improving the healthcare system than suggest people are bound to find this level of marriage support. undecided

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by okoroemeka(m): 8:57pm On Apr 15
cutecommend:
If people's first and best love was their spouses, and if the first love of their spouses was them, and if their first ever sex experiences was between them and their spouse in marriage; and the first ever sex experience of their spouses was with them in marriage. And if husbands are hardworking, loving teachable and kind, and wives are submissive, teachable and respectful, maybe marriage will be better...

but sadly this is not the reality,marriage will test the absolute limits of a man patience and endurance,,infact if you are not ready to compromise and endure pls stay away from marriage
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by joseph1832(m): 8:57pm On Apr 15
uche87:

Osahon George Osayimwen writes from England.
no wonder you believe marriage is losing its relevance. Go to your village and see if your opinion won't be ridiculed...
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Tranquility2345: 8:57pm On Apr 15
Picklejar:
What really is marriage? Marriage is the "legal" joining of two people, but I go further to say that without the presence of offsprings, is marriage really a necessity?

With the influx of single mothers and deadbeat dad's in our society, it's no surprise that emotionally damaged children are being mass-produced.

Removing one of either parent from the lives of children simply because it is comfortable, is a master plan to speedrunning the destruction of society.

Did they teach you in your school that dads and dad’s are the same thing? 🤔
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by integrity16(m): 8:57pm On Apr 15
It is only loosing relevance in the west. Stop generalizing. People are getting married everyday in Nigeria
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by donbenie(m): 8:57pm On Apr 15
Biglittlelois:

So your one colleague's marital issue is the basis to conclude that in all marriages, women are making men suffer in silence?

So many kids here......
Where exactly did he say that women are making men suffer in all marriages?
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by godofuck231: 8:58pm On Apr 15
When you render the society to the hands of women , anything goes

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by donbenie(m): 8:59pm On Apr 15
integrity16:
It is only loosing relevance in the west. Stop generalizing.
It's losing relevance everywhere..
You must not have been aware of your environment..

3 Likes

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Olorilolo(f): 9:01pm On Apr 15
Kobojunkie:
First of all, let's stop lying abeg! Hospice is not the last place anymore as more and more people make plans ahead of time so that they can get the best care in their last days in many of these places. undecided

Second, most people are more than aware these days that chances are slim to none that another human being would go out of their way to show them that level of kindness even in marriage. Go ask the many who were abandoned by the so-called love-of-their-life in marriage after falling ill. So, again, it makes better sense to argue for improving the healthcare system if these are the reasons you have to give for marriage than to pretend that people are bound to find this level of marriage support. undecided
I don't know what you perceived as "lies"... The fact that any of the spouses can fall sick? What plan are people making at the end of life? What plans could be more than being surrounded by your family and slipping away peacefully in their arms. Nothing beats that for me.

You are right when you say marriage is not bound to give you these but that is when you're in a bad marriage. There are good marriages out there, not one without it's challenges but there are good marriages nonetheless. It's a beautiful thing.
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Beverlyjean(f): 9:01pm On Apr 15
Man is allowing devil to have a field day... destruction of marriage has always and still is the devil's number 1 priority

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by donbenie(m): 9:01pm On Apr 15
joseph1832:
no wonder you believe marriage is losing its relevance. Go to your village and see if your opinion won't be ridiculed...
Go to the villages?
The same villages that has broken marriages and baby mamas strewn everywhere?
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Zooposki(f): 9:01pm On Apr 15
nairalee:
What exactly is the attraction for marriage now?

Loneliness? Life is no longer as boring as in the 60's (u can now create your own fun in your own bedroom)

Procreation? With the advent of baby mamas we've realized it's cheaper and easier to get children without marriage

Sex? U can simply get sex now with small change without even stressing yourself.

Cooking? . With technology u can order any food of your dreams in 30mins or less.

Domestic chores?
U can simply get a maid or machines to do basic chores.

Many of the past incentives for marriage are now outdated plus all the TERRIBLE news we hear/read daily.

Marriage is no longer as marketable as before

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Tranquility2345: 9:01pm On Apr 15
FireUpNow:
It's a lie. Those who still values marriage are enjoying it

Brighter Grammar highly recommended for you…
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by ManOfSon: 9:02pm On Apr 15
The worst things to ever happen to humanity in the last 50 years? Number 1, cell phones, number 2, the internet, and number 3, social media. If you're wondering why marriages are now a struggle, it's because everything is now out in the open.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by pacespot(m): 9:04pm On Apr 15
With entitlement you see exhibited by women these towards, marriage may indeed be losing its essence. Nobody wants a burden but a partner who will complement and add value to them.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Zooposki(f): 9:04pm On Apr 15
ManOfSon:
The worst things to ever happen to humanity in the last 50 years? Number 1, cell phones, number 2, the internet, and number 3, social media. If you're wondering why marriages are now a struggle, it's because everything is now out in the open.

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by donbenie(m): 9:04pm On Apr 15
Beverlyjean:
Man is allowing devil to have a field day... destruction of marriage has always and still is the devil's number 1 priority
The Devil has no business with your broken marriages..
Waiting for the day you lot would start taking responsibility for your actions..

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Tranquility2345: 9:08pm On Apr 15
ManOfSon:

How is cellphone one of the worst things to happen to humanity? You must be an illiterate.
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by joseph1832(m): 9:08pm On Apr 15
donbenie:
Go to the villages?
compare the number of baby mamas and broken marriages to the number of successful ones.

Beside, the baby mamas and baby daddy's along with those with broken marriages, how are they treated.
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Kobojunkie: 9:12pm On Apr 15
Olorilolo:
■ I don't know what you perceived as "lies"... The fact that any of the spouses can fall sick? What plan are people making at the end of life? What plans could be more than being surrounded by your family and slipping away peacefully in their arms. Nothing beats that for me. You are right when you say marriage is not bound to give you these but that is when you're in a bad marriage.
■ There are good marriages out there, not one without it's challenges but there are good marriages nonetheless. It's a beautiful thing
Look, the fact of life is this, people will almost always prefer to buy products that will be of more benefit to them than to others. Marriage needs to be of great benefit to both men and women before they choose to commit. undecided

In the days of our ancestors, the benefits were outlined in the traditional marriage laws of the time. Those laws no longer hold weight in the society we live in today. People are less inclined to follow along with the old ways just because it is that. They now understand that the choices they make directly impact their particular quality of life and so many are less likely to make sacrifices for the good of others. This means the marriage laws or rules needed, including the guaranteed benefits list, ought to be updated to keep people interested. undecided

2. Marriage can only be beautiful if what it offers is better than the competition. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Sapasenator: 9:13pm On Apr 15
I disagree.

My grandfather married five wives and I am determined to beat his legacies.
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Tranquility2345: 9:13pm On Apr 15
Sapasenator:
I disagree.

My grandmother had five wives and I am determined to beat his legacies.

Your grandmother na lesbian? 🤔
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by donbenie(m): 9:13pm On Apr 15
joseph1832:
compare the number of baby mamas and broken marriages to the number of successful ones.

Beside, the baby mamas and baby daddy's along with those with broken marriages, how are they treated.
Number of successful ones?
You meant the suffering and smiling lot of co-habiters, tolerating each other?
Ogbeni,the only thing holding many marriages in Nigeria are children and what people will say.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Sapasenator: 9:15pm On Apr 15
Tranquility2345:

Your grandmother na lesbian? 🤔

Na typo nor vex, lesbo nefer day that time.
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Tranquility2345: 9:18pm On Apr 15
donbenie:
Go to the villages?

Please go and buy Brighter Grammar for your own good…
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by joseph1832(m): 9:20pm On Apr 15
donbenie:
Number of successful ones?
You meant the suffering and smiling lot of co-habiters, tolerating each other?
Ogbeni,the only thing holding many marriages in Nigeria are children and what people will say.
now this is the essence of marriage. People like you believe there's such a thing like perfect marriage, when infact, there isn't. This is were you miss it all.
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Kobojunkie: 9:21pm On Apr 15
joseph1832:
now this is the essence of marriage. People like you believe there's such a thing like perfect marriage, when infact, there isn't. This is were you miss it all.
WOW.... Are you actually admitting to the fact that the suffering of the married tends to outweigh that of the unmarried in many Nigerian scenarios? lipsrsealed
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by Olorilolo(f): 9:21pm On Apr 15
Kobojunkie:
Look, the fact of life is this, people will almost always prefer to buy products that will be of more benefit to them than to others. Marriage needs to be of great benefit to both men and women before they choose to commit. undecided

In the days of our ancestors, the benefits were outlined in the traditional marriage laws of the time. Those laws no longer hold weight in the society we live in today. People are less inclined to follow along with the old ways just because it is that. They now understand that the choices they make directly impact their particular quality of life and so many are less likely to make sacrifices for the good of others. This means the marriage laws or rules needed, including the guaranteed benefits list, ought to be updated to keep people interested. undecided

2. Marriage can only be beautiful if what it offers is better than the competition. lipsrsealed
Well, I'm not aware of this list you speak of. If there's a link or a book you can refer me to, I'll be glad to go take a look.

Marriage I know isn't perfect, but it's mostly beautiful if the members complement each other and If the competition is "Money"... I don't see a competition to begin with.
Re: Marriage Is Gradually Losing Its Relevance by integrity16(m): 9:22pm On Apr 15
donbenie:
It's losing relevance everywhere..
You must not have been aware of your environment..

Have you been everywhere to conclude that it's loosing relevance?? Just go Ikoyi Registry and see for yourself that people are getting married everyday.

We have not even taken statistics of arranged marriage, village marriages we don't see in churches as people no longer value church weddings anymore.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Help With PHCN Wahala / Picture Of My Son Preparing For School For The First Time / What Do You Share In Common With Your Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.