Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,455 members, 7,853,989 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 09:07 AM

What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? (15835 Views)

Is This A Career Red Flag? / Job Seekers, Is This A Red Flag? Kidnappers Alert! / Name The Worst Companies To Work For In Nigeria And Give Your Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Mjshexy(f): 6:05pm On May 17
I remember when i was still in search of a good job, i do check out the the office environment, staff dressing which includes their shoes most importantly, the high number of invited applicants for just one or two positions could be a red flag, when the interview questions doesn't correlates with the advertised vacancy, salary delay, no weekends, no public holiday, you must sign to work with us for at least 2yrs before thinking of leaving,,,etc, were all red flags for me. Nigerian youths are really going through alot, they will tell you a beggar has no choice but you must stand your ground and give yourself a choice pls.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by DaddyRochie1642: 6:06pm On May 17
CountinBlessins:

Fūck you your daddy your mummy your siblings your pastor and your babe.

angry

E pain am grin
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by franugo(m): 6:18pm On May 17
[quote author=helinues post=129999679]I never applied for one . Never been a fan of working fo

Lamba

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Gentlesoul2021(m): 6:45pm On May 17
ThiefnubuBandit:
I was once employed by a company. On the first day of work, I discovered that most of the staff were putting on worn-out clothes. The manager's shoes had open mouths. Some of the workers had spent years in the organization with nothing to show for it. Only the owner of the organization was making progress financially. I didn't show up the next day and that was the end.

Sad reality of life 😢😭
These are set of people that will tell u if u do not have another job at hand do not quit the your present, now look at their life absolutely miserable and the owner living fly....
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by DSpokesMan(m): 7:29pm On May 17
If I hear one man business, na to vanish o!!
You keep hearing "we would be handling big projects".

From experience, I had worked in a structured MFB for over 9years...then a friend (and former coursemate who now lives in the UK) recommended me to a one man business for the role of a COO.

Cut the story, I couldn't cope after less than 5 months! I resigned voluntarily.

Delayed salaries.
Irrational and abysmal deductions.
Dictator who doesn't espouse any core values.

It's better you are in the lower cadre in a well structured environment than a "management staff" in a toxic organization.

Ensure you ask a few questions about a potential new employer before accepting the Offer (especially for SMEs)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by dangoteinlaw: 8:52pm On May 17
Chachamiliano:
When you get to any organization, and you do not see cars please run
it’s funny how i hear nestle pays very well but i go to their parking lots and see alot of 1999 cars or should i say their workers trekking long distance to work lol
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Love800(m): 9:02pm On May 17
Galaxy television!
You want to be a presenter?
mamaafrik:
I remember a company at ijora, na one of the security tell me say them they òwe oooo.
Na him I waka.

Galaxy Television that is always looking for staff all day.
The moment you hear "are you sure you are ready to work ",Ogbeni tear race

1 Like

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by soccerlite: 9:12pm On May 17
Emma1Oj:
No refreshments during induction

Lack of trust towards staffs

Hmmmm
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Emma1Oj(m): 9:16pm On May 17
soccerlite:

Hmmmm
Hello.... Mr Hmnmm, what happen? Hope you don't want to question my reputable reputation?
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Stayingalive: 9:21pm On May 17
CountinBlessins:
One man business . If you like yourself never ever I repeat never ever work for a one man business.,no matter if that one man is a billionaire run!!
Even if they promise you heaven on earth you will regret it. There is a reason such a business has not upgraded to be structured and that is what makes one man businesses bad..
Tony elumelu could have made Uba a one man business, but he didn't , same with Otedola , Adenuga , Dangote etc
No matter how you praise the IQ of a one man business the very reason it hasn't metamorphosized into a full structured business is why you should stay away from it!💯🔥

You are better off as a clerk In structured organization than a GM in a one man business.

There is a reason why one man businesses fail eventually.
No matter the salary run far from working for one man businesses

Thank me later 🔥💯
Stop projecting nonsense. Most structured company today started out as a one man company.

2 Likes

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by lilfresh96(m): 9:35pm On May 17
When they deduct your salary because you are absent for few days

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Frederick2017: 9:39pm On May 17
Business run by Husband and Wife.
One man business
Them employ you as Teacher, but you later become school bus driver, administrator, bursar, OGA driver, generator repairer, maintenance officer, cleaner etc without Salary increments or with Promise and fail from boss....RUN OOOOOO, na witchcraft OGA you get

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by chuxjay(m): 4:37am On May 18
helinues:
I never applied for one . Never been a fan of working for anyone

Then shut up and allow those with experience to speak. Thanks for blowing "no" trumpet

4 Likes

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Atole26: 6:12am On May 18
Admin told me I have no access to other holidays except public holidays, I asked what if it’s an emergency she said they don’t tolerate absenteeism. Ha on-top how much salary make I no get space breath or even have opportunity to seek better offer. I jejely decline

2 Likes

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by adanny01(m): 6:38am On May 18
Once I see Husband - CEO/MD, Wife - Director of Finance and Admin, Brother - Director of Projects, Brother - Director of Establishment, Brother in law (Wife's bro) - Director Legal

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by soccerlite: 7:20am On May 18
Emma1Oj:
Hello.... Mr Hmnmm, what happen? Hope you don't want to question my reputable reputation?

Lolzzzzz 🤣

Refreshments don cost now o

1 Like

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Gentlesoul2021(m): 8:07am On May 18
If they send u interview invite on WhatsApp. . . Have a rethink on it ooo....

3 Likes

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Gentlesoul2021(m): 8:15am On May 18
Whynow:
Wasn't really a declination, but like prelim stage interview

Had a video call interview once. The recruiter appeared to be talking to someone as he kept turning to look back.
I even had to pause, because I kept loosing my trail of thoughts.

After the interview, I enquired about the company values, as they weren't stated on the website. Then he began, highlighting them and mentioned respect as one of them.
I got him there! I told him right away, "You obviously didn't display that."

He started blabbing , no he was this that... I schooled him on core values

I think he realised that this guy clearly had values (2005 grad, worked for many multinationals, currently MD/CEO of a company).
................and I am of the opinion that he tried to save himself from embarrassment, and that was why I didn't hear from the company. I really schooled him !

Looked him up on LinkedIn, and saw he studied chemical engineering (2017 grad) and was doing recruiting.

Clearly not a company I would love to work for.

Funny, its a very popular company covering Nigeria, Kenya and Egypt

Imagine the disrespect... A young lad tolling that path. It won't surprise me he got the post on man know man as he's not even a qualified HRM. A chemical engineer doing recruiting and feeling fly.
Nigeria is in shambles...
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by walexsho(m): 9:06am On May 18
CountinBlessins:
One man business . If you like yourself never ever I repeat never ever work for a one man business.,no matter if that one man is a billionaire run!!
Even if they promise you heaven on earth you will regret it. There is a reason such a business has not upgraded to be structured and that is what makes one man businesses bad..
Tony elumelu could have made Uba a one man business, but he didn't , same with Otedola , Adenuga , Dangote etc
No matter how you praise the IQ of a one man business the very reason it hasn't metamorphosized into a full structured business is why you should stay away from it!💯🔥

You are better off as a clerk In structured organization than a GM in a one man business.

There is a reason why one man businesses fail eventually.
No matter the salary run far from working for one man businesses

Thank me later 🔥💯

Iriri ni won npe ni Agba.... Experience is what is termed Elder not always by age.
In addendum,
One man Biz? Run!!!
A job with very few workers and the owner must be there 24/7, Run!!!
A company by Asians (lebaneze, Chinko etc) Run!!! Them go use you die!!!! and treat you as slave.
A job with no future prospect, experience on the job doesn't count. Run!!!
If you take a job Immediately you notice the boss has trust issue no matter how honest you are on a job, Run!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Meerahbel: 9:19am On May 18
babaRUNtinz:
When Senior/Management staff dey request for IOU/salary advance first week in a new month.

It obvious that the Management staff is a borrower and does live within his means
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Meerahbel: 9:20am On May 18
walexsho:

Iriri ni won npe ni Agba.... Experience is what is termed Elder not always by age.
In addendum,
One man Biz? Run!!!
A job with very few workers and the owner must be there 24/7, Run!!!
A company by Asians (lebaneze, Chinko etc) Run!!! Them go use you die!!!! and treat you as slave.
A job with no future prospect, experience on the job doesn't count. Run!!!
If you take a job Immediately you notice the boss has trust issue no matter how honest you are on a job, Run!!!
Factomondo!
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Meerahbel: 9:21am On May 18
Gentlesoul2021:
If they send u interview invite on WhatsApp. . . Have a rethink on it ooo....
This clearly a red flag
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Meerahbel: 9:23am On May 18
lilfresh96:
When they deduct your salary because you are absent for few days
Wgy should you be absent without cogent reasons
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by walexsho(m): 9:24am On May 18
Mjshexy:
I remember when i was still in search of a good job, i do check out the the office environment, staff dressing which includes their shoes most importantly, the high number of invited applicants for just one or two positions could be a red flag, when the interview questions doesn't correlates with the advertised vacancy, salary delay, no weekends, no public holiday, you must sign to work with us for at least 2yrs before thinking of leaving,,,etc, were all red flags for me. Nigerian youths are really going through alot, they will tell you a beggar has no choice but you must stand your ground and give yourself a choice pls.
Signing to work with them for 2yrs is called signing a bond. They train you on a job inline with the role they employed you and you expect them to release you to work elsewhere just like that? In most cases, the staff is on probation for 6months, while he decide if to sign the bond with them or not.
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Meerahbel: 9:27am On May 18
Mjshexy:
A friend recently signed a contract that she must give them 2 months notice before he resigned because the increase his salary to a quarter of million. cry
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Meerahbel: 9:28am On May 18
gigabyte13:
Delayed/owned salaries
No off days
No weekend
No public holidays
Run oooooooooooo oooooooooooo
The you wouldn't have hospitality industry na
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Meerahbel: 9:30am On May 18
YourGFsnatcher:

micro management. I hate that.
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Meerahbel: 9:30am On May 18
shocked
worldclass68:
They asked me to resume on the supposed physical interview date, even the work prescriptions differs to what I met on ground...the next day from 8am, 10pm I still dey office and no sign of going home, worst was that, they don recruits up to 20 people within a month and all of them don japa...lol very toxic environment, even the supposed supervisor wey dey encourage come drop office items for me the same day ( resigning)...
I no kukuma resume the next day since I never collect offer letter.. cool
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Meerahbel: 9:32am On May 18
Enianjola82:
I once went for an interview and we were told the interview was postponed coz the Gm wasnt around. I went for different stages of the interview but all those times, they kept us waiting for over 3hours before attending to us. Anytime l scroll by the job notice on this nairaland, l always swear for them.

I always check shoes too, shoes dont lie, if the shoes of many of the staffs are old and rough or they keep a pair of shoe or jacket that they wear everyday for work in the office.

Staff will always gossip about the boss. If the old staff are mostly abusing or complaining

grin
Re: What's A Red Flag That Makes You Decline To Work For A Company? by Meerahbel: 9:33am On May 18
femi4:
unpaid salary and allowance
You are too money conscious

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Better To Send Cvs In Pdf Or Word Format? / Dragnet, Work Force… Do They Still Exist? / What Are Your Experiences With GNLD???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.